ADVERTISEMENT

@Maryland/Fletch

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Big game tomorrow. Dangerous in that they don't lose at home often, and a horrible start so far this year for them will be erased if they add a win against #1 Purdue to their resume. On the flip it's a great chance for Purdue to make up for that NW performance against a team that they struggled witb last year on the road.

I think this game boils down to what we see from Loyer. He's shown up in the big games so far. Can he be consistent? If he scores 15+ I think Purdue wins this by double digits. I also think he likes to be the villain and hope he becomes a crowd silencer on the road this year. Embrace that role Fletch!

Big game tomorrow. Dangerous in that they don't lose at home often, and a horrible start so far this year for them will be erased if they add a win against #1 Purdue to their resume. On the flip it's a great chance for Purdue to make up for that NW performance against a team that they struggled witb last year on the road.

I think this game boils down to what we see from Loyer. He's shown up in the big games so far. Can he be consistent? If he scores 15+ I think Purdue wins this by double digits. I also think he likes to be the villain and hope he becomes a crowd silencer on the road this year. Embrace that role Fletch!
Agree with you and they’ve won 19 straight at home. Also, hope we can contain young. He didn’t play last game due to the flu, but I’m sure he will be ready to go. Hope we can start the year off right!

Need to play disciplined and limit turnovers. Got to play tight on Young so he doesn’t go off again. Need the focus too because that gym is a ghost town with 0 people showing up even to big games.

Just something to think about because it didn’t cross my mind either until I read it.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
One more - Painter has to be on top of the refs to call it clean. Willard is one of the first “Edey is too tall and we can’t do anything but foul” guys. Watch him lose it like Barnes did in Maui to make the refs swallow their whistles as his players tackle Edey.

Are we going to talk about the different ball used, or did that go out the window with the Arizona win?
Forgot about those orange death balls. Isn’t this the last year of Wilson’s contract with the NCAA? Still don’t get why we don’t just require 1 standard ball.

Reactions: Schnelk
My son's team plays with the Wilson EVO basketball and rather liked it. As long as there is time to get used to it then I don't see a problem. Agree, they should stick with a ball for the entire year.

One more - Painter has to be on top of the refs to call it clean. Willard is one of the first “Edey is too tall and we can’t do anything but foul” guys. Watch him lose it like Barnes did in Maui to make the refs swallow their whistles as his players tackle Edey.
everyone is aware of Young, but he is not going to beat Purdue without Scott or Reese having good games I don't think. Hope Zach can play Reese straight up and not get help from the 4 to double him...although Hart is gone on the perimeter and so they may not have the same perimeter threat (don't really know anything about many of their players). Trey/Mason need to score or effectively pass at the FT line against the 2-3 zone and Lance, Fletch and Braden continue to handle their 2-2-1 press.

Purdue keeps their heads and they should be okay as this will be standard mental prep for every road game. Can't lose Lance guarding Young as Purdue needs him or prefers to have him to beat the press

Last edited:
everyone is aware of Young, but he is not going to beat Purdue without Scott or Reese having good games I don't think. Hope Zach can play Reese straight up and not get help from the 4 to double him...although Hart is gone on the perimeter and so they may not have the same perimeter threat (don't really know anything about many of their players). Trey/Mason need to score or effectively pass at the FT line against the 2-3 zone and Lance, Fletch and Braden continue to handle their 2-2-1 press.

Purdue keeps their heads and they should be okay as this will be standard mental prep for every road game
Good points TJ! Let’s hope they’re able to get the first win of 2024!

Good points TJ! Let’s hope they’re able to get the first win of 2024!
I was editing when you were typing. I don't want to lose Lance due to picking up fouls on young. Will need him to help break the press. If he gets in early foul trouble Braden will shift over, but it will take a toll on Braden's offense perhaps...unless Matt tries Cam as he did against NW. Just contain Young...that is all that is needed

Need to play disciplined and limit turnovers. Got to play tight on Young so he doesn’t go off again. Need the focus too because that gym is a ghost town with 0 people showing up even to big games.

Just something to think about because it didn’t cross my mind either until I read it.

Is that stat right? We are talking Furst and (technically TKR) right? Did they storm the court iveys soph year when we lost at IU, Wisconsin and Sparty? Or am I able not to do math and counting wrong? Or maybe it was actually supposed to be the sophomores?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Is that stat right? We are talking Furst and (technically TKR) right? Did they storm the court iveys soph year when we lost at IU, Wisconsin and Sparty? Or am I able not to do math and counting wrong? Or maybe it was actually supposed to be the sophomores?
Don’t know about MSU or Wisconsin but IU definitely did.

Maryland is a tough place to win and Purdue has had a hard time winning there. I know that Maryland struggled early this season, but they are playing better and they have a talented roster. This won’t be an easy game. I think that Purdue wins, but I think that the result will still be in doubt with 5 minutes to go in the game.

Am at the airport heading to Reagan National for the Maryland game tonight. Will bring my voice to help represent the Boilers and cheer them on to a victory!
Wonder if it would be awkward if I storm the court at 0:00 and Purdue on top? 😉🚂

wow that's crazy. I only went to 2 games there and Purdue won both times. Guess I need to go more.

and one of those was the crazy travel from Isaac Haas at the end of the game....just more myocardial magic from the Boilers....haha.

https://www.espn.com.do/video/clip/_/id/2963090

These two teams generally play tough/physical battles. Purdue has lost four straight there, and they've played six one-possession games in the 14-game series with three one-point results. Now, a chunk of those were under the ever-smiling Turgeon, but I expect another Battle Royale tonight, especially with Maryland looking to get back on track this season.

Last edited:
and one of those was the crazy travel from Isaac Haas at the end of the game....just more myocardial magic from the Boilers....haha.

These two teams generally play tough/physical battles. Purdue has lost four straight there, and they've played six one-possession games in the 14-game series with three one-point results. Now, a chunk of those were under the ever-smiling Turgeon, but I expect another Battle Royale tonight, especially with Maryland looking to get back on track this season.
Watch Geronimo have the game of his life. When it happened I did not think it was a travel, but seeing it again it may very well be a great call. When he catches it I think he lifts his right foot inches off the court and then steps with his left.

Don’t you out that evil on us, TJ!
I know...although uncommon, he has at times found a 3 ball when at IU. I still think a key is how Zach does with Reese . I think they need Young, Scott and Reese to have good games to beat Purdue, but when the ball is poorly tossed as it usually is, the game takes on a life of its own. Then of course Purdue needs a good, not great offensive game from the 1,2 and 3 spots and the fours to somewhat balance out the scoring against Maryland, but really help on the boards "if" Zach goes after some shots.

Will Purdue give Young the 3 ball to try to take his drive out so Purdue doesn't rotate and give up offensive boards for baskets? All this said, not currently turned in to Maryland personnel like some. I just think Young needs a BIG to be a threat to give some help to him on drives. If Reese is on the bench does Zach go hard on D and O?

Yeah I remember that. Carsen made a bunch of free throws down the stretch, iceman. The travel was petty. Game was over.

Don’t you out that evil on us, TJ!

Guess that means FURST will need to have a big game to counter. :)

tumblr_nx9x84ZYJ41shob51o1_400.gif

ricky-gif.102093

If it comes down to this, we lose. CMP is not good at working the refs & tells his players to not argue with the refs

If it comes down to this, we lose. CMP is not good at working the refs & tells his players to not argue with the refs
Caleb/Trey/Mason...if any of these have a good game it will be very much a positive. I can see Mason against the 2-3 on the perimeter maybe having some looks, but if I recall correctly Maryland plays match up out of the 2-3, but they can still sag on Zach giving the perimeter to Trey and Caleb. I can see Trey putting pressure on Geronimo...and more desired Scott to defend inside. This is a game Purdue should win. If Purdue keeps it's head and shoots average I think they win. Poor shooting, turnovers and stupid fouls make it much more difficult to win. Dominate the boards...

Completely agree with this. I think Willard is a POS for clearly instructing his players to beat the crap out of Zach and then complaining when they get called for fouling him every play. Harping for a hardball welfare state.

Completely agree with this. I think Willard is a POS for clearly instructing his players to beat the crap out of Zach and then complaining when they get called for fouling him every play. Harping for a hardball welfare state.
Hopefully, the fouls Zach has drawn continue in the Big as they did the previous games. We shall see...

Anyone know who the refs are for tonight?

I do think the B1G should seriously look hard at how their officials handle games and demand change. The fact they allow rugby on a basketball court ends up hurting us in the tourney.
Purdue has now played 2 of the worst offenders of physical play last year. The games seemed to have been called fairly and the teams were not overly physical. The league may have warned the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT