ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Hall update

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSU is after Timme too.
Maybe they get one, we get one.
Like the possibility of the Newman/Franklin deal happening.

Brooks is about to drop a top 6.

MSU is after Timme too.
Maybe they get one, we get one.
Like the possibility of the Newman/Franklin deal happening.

Brooks is about to drop a top 6.
What is the Newman/Franklin deal?

Look for Brooks' officials to be IU, MSU, UCLA, UK, and UNC. Right now the thought is that Purdue would be the other school in his top 6, but wouldn't be getting an official.

Look for Brooks' officials to be IU, MSU, UCLA, UK, and UNC. Right now the thought is that Purdue would be the other school in his top 6, but wouldn't be getting an official.
Why don't you just copy and paste the iu board post? Don't you want to give credit to your source? Or are you wanting everyone here to think you're somehow connected to these players?

Why don't you just copy and paste the iu board post? Don't you want to give credit to your source? Or are you wanting everyone here to think you're somehow connected to these players?
Lol what are you talking about? I've been very forward that this is all coming from the IU boards and national analysts.

Lol what are you talking about? I've been very forward that this is all coming from the IU boards and national analysts.

I could link the posts, but you wont have access to them haha.
Just cut and paste. Would that be easier than retyping everything?

Reactions: Inspector100
Is it just me or does it seem like Izzo has an unlimited amount of scholarships available to him every season?
I meant to latch on to the original post.

What concerns me is Hall has seen Purdue several times; he’s met the players, he knows Painter has made him a priority ( visited him today) and seems content on still checking out some other schools.
If we miss on him it will hurt, as he would be the perfect compliment to this years and last years class, prob starting from day 1 on the wing as a fresh.
I think he’s done a great job with recruiting the past 4-5 years getting the right players, but he hasnt had much luck landing top 50 guys, minus biggie. Hopefully that changes with Malik.

What concerns me is Hall has seen Purdue several times; he’s met the players, he knows Painter has made him a priority ( visited him today) and seems content on still checking out some other schools.
If we miss on him it will hurt, as he would be the perfect compliment to this years and last years class, prob starting from day 1 on the wing as a fresh.
I think he’s done a great job with recruiting the past 4-5 years getting the right players, but he hasnt had much luck landing top 50 guys, minus biggie. Hopefully that changes with Malik.
Or maybe he wants to see the other places to make him know Purdue is the right place for him.

This is from Snow's Midwest Recruiting notes from last week. It's posted on both the IU and PU 247 Premie boards... Snow will likely post an update in this week's issue...

Hall ready to begin visit tour

"Four-star forward Malik Hall is about ready to embark on a busy visit tour. Starting next weekend Hall will get going on his official visits, in what could be one of the more interesting recruitments to monitor in 2019.

Heading into the visits, most with knowledge of the situation think that Purdue is the leader, and the Boilermakers will get the first crack at Hall hosting him on September 14. Hall has already been to West Lafayette a few times, so there is familiarity with the school, and Purdue will look to make a big impression, and potentially in their mind even get a commitment.

Following the Purdue visit is a trip to Oklahoma, and then after a week off, trips to Michigan State and Oregon have been set.

The Spartans have been a program gaining some steam behind the scenes. Head Coach Tom Izzo has strong relationships with people close to Hall, and that has led to the Spartans becoming a major threat in this battle.

Also do not discount the Sooners or Ducks. Hall attends Sunrise Christian, and the coaches there have long had a good relationship with Oklahoma, while Oregon has recruited Hall as hard as any program in the country over the past several months.

Look for this to be a situation where Hall takes multiple official visits. Going into things it is probably the Boilermakers at the top, but there are schools charging hard, and this could be one of the more intriguing recruitments in the entire country before it is all said and done."

Reactions: Boilermaker24
This is from Snow's Midwest Recruiting notes from last week. It's posted on both the IU and PU 247 Premie boards... Snow will likely post an update in this week's issue...

"Four-star forward Malik Hall is about ready to embark on a busy visit tour. Starting next weekend Hall will get going on his official visits, in what could be one of the more interesting recruitments to monitor in 2019.

Heading into the visits, most with knowledge of the situation think that Purdue is the leader, and the Boilermakers will get the first crack at Hall hosting him on September 14. Hall has already been to West Lafayette a few times, so there is familiarity with the school, and Purdue will look to make a big impression, and potentially in their mind even get a commitment.

Following the Purdue visit is a trip to Oklahoma, and then after a week off, trips to Michigan State and Oregon have been set.

The Spartans have been a program gaining some steam behind the scenes. Head Coach Tom Izzo has strong relationships with people close to Hall, and that has led to the Spartans becoming a major threat in this battle.

Also do not discount the Sooners or Ducks. Hall attends Sunrise Christian, and the coaches there have long had a good relationship with Oklahoma, while Oregon has recruited Hall as hard as any program in the country over the past several months.

Look for this to be a situation where Hall takes multiple official visits. Going into things it is probably the Boilermakers at the top, but there are schools charging hard, and this could be one of the more intriguing recruitments in the entire country before it is all said and done."
This is me being pessimistic but it’s feeling like the JJJ recruitment to me.

Reactions: pboiler18
This is me being pessimistic but it’s feeling like the JJJ recruitment to me.

Or the African kid that went to Oregon, being "ahead" or "perceived leader" I've come to learn, at least as it relates to us, means nothing until the commitment.

Would be awesome if we were somehow able to lock him down before he leaves thought...

UGH really didn't want to see that, oh well!! CMP needs to start winning some of these recruiting battles!

UGH really didn't want to see that, oh well!! CMP needs to start winning some of these recruiting battles!
I've often wondered with statements like these, what else do you think Painter could do? In this case it is clear he has been in on Hall for quite some time and telling him what he evidently needs to hear. Aside from breaking the rules, it is still the recruits decision on where he wants to go and Painter can only do so much.

I am not posing this to attack you, but I am generally curious what people think Painter could do that he already isn't doing other than hypnotizing people in to coming here?

I've often wondered with statements like these, what else do you think Painter could do? In this case it is clear he has been in on Hall for quite some time and telling him what he evidently needs to hear. Aside from breaking the rules, it is still the recruits decision on where he wants to go and Painter can only do so much.

I am not posing this to attack you, but I am generally curious what people think Painter could do that he already isn't doing other than hypnotizing people in to coming here?

It's all about selling the opportunity. Period. The question the a 5 star or kid with NBA talent wants to know is "Can you help me get to the NBA?".
Sure, they want to be in a winning program, play in the tourney, get to a FF, but they're really setting themselves and families up for the rest of their lives and beyond.
As far as Painter being able to convince these kids to come to PU, I'm not sure what he's doing or not doing that translates into being in 2nd place on a ton of top talent the last 4 years.
I still think he needs to get a head recruiter who's demonstrated the ability to close the deal on these kids. Pay him really, really well and then MP is just a figure head in recruiting (like Izzo, Coach K, etc).

Change how he pitches to recruits or how he sells his offense...The phrase "there's more than one way to skin a cat..." Maybe how he's saying something doesn't resonate but he can say the same thing coming from a different angle that could work better? Maybe it's dividing up the coaching staff to target specific recruits? I'm sure there's something he can do to change things up short of paying kids.

Reactions: hoosierdog1

Closers close. Those that can't hope and pray.

There are a number of things that can be done differently. A lot have been alluded to above (change pitch, get elite recruiter, ect).

Another example would be what happened with the Newman/Franklin visit. There are rumblings that this visit did not go well for either recruit. It essentially turned Franklin off from us, and made us not a lock for Newman anymore either. Allegedly the staff spent the visit pitching them that they could both play there. Since they had already determined that they weren't going to play at the same school, it rubbed them the wrong way that they weren't presented with how they would fit individually on the team.

Of course that is all hear say, but that is what is being reported by one of the IU sites that did a follow up interview with Newman after Franklin had committed. I'm sure I'm about to be slammed for this, but I just figured I would pass along the information.

(FYI, my friend is a premium member over there, and sent screenshots of this reporting)

Reactions: Conzo
Of course that is all hear say, but that is what is being reported by one of the IU sites that did a follow up interview with Newman after Franklin had committed. I'm sure I'm about to be slammed for this, but I just figured I would pass along the information.

(FYI, my friend is a premium member over there, and sent screenshots of this reporting)

Is that from Snow?

There are a number of things that can be done differently. A lot have been alluded to above (change pitch, get elite recruiter, ect).

Another example would be what happened with the Newman/Franklin visit. There are rumblings that this visit did not go well for either recruit. It essentially turned Franklin off from us, and made us not a lock for Newman anymore either. Allegedly the staff spent the visit pitching them that they could both play there. Since they had already determined that they weren't going to play at the same school, it rubbed them the wrong way that they weren't presented with how they would fit individually on the team.

I’m not sure what Is being said on a premium site but my son said the visit went really well both had a great time. As a mother who went through this process sometimes as a recruit you are looking at fit, style of play and opportunities to as a freshman even tho you still have to earn playing time. Sometimes it’s just the name of a school or Coach whose coaching that team that have the recruits intrigued. I’m sure many of you on here read me say many times that the offense they ran last season wasn’t suited how my son played. My son is a playing making guard who excels in transition up tempo style. He’s great in ball screens action that allows him to get to the basket shoot his jumper or find his teammates if the lane gets closed. I’ll say this again painter keeps it real he makes no promises your playing time is earned. He’s upfront how he sees you playing in his offense while stressing how important playing defense is too that many many freshmen forget they have to do that when they get to college. I believe with the personnel he has on this team this season the offense will look a lot different that will cater to the strengths of this team and that if I’m Hall he would fit nicely into the offense how the team makeup may be moving forward. Painter is a good dude they don’t sell a pipe dream or promises that so many of these recruits want to at least hear especially the so call top recruits but rather tell you what he knows bcuz he has seen you play and sees opportunities for you if you come in and earn. I’ll admit is was tough last season not seeing my son play more min than he did bcuz he worked hard in practice but I also understood as well bcuz there was things he needed to work on and things he had to adjust to and when he finally figured some of those things out it start showing on the court. Looking forward to a hellava season from my young king he’s worked hard all off season to get prepared for this season. He’s waited his turn and now he’s ready to step into his new role leading this team like those who just left and help this team not only win games but take this team to a big 10 title and national championship.

Fair enough.For starters he could change his recruiting pitch.Telling these 4-5* athletes of today you come here and play tough defense you'll have a chance to play I don't think it cuts it anymore.How many times have we heard that recruit x's parents just love CMP evidently the recruit doesn't because they usually wind up somewhere else.That's all.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You'all understand that Painter has won a good many of these recruiting battles, right? Take a look at the offers some of our current players had. Those are all wins against those schools.

You'all understand that Painter has won a good many of these recruiting battles, right? Take a look at the offers some of our current players had. Those are all wins against those schools.
I think he is referencing top 50ish recruits.

You mean like Biggie Swanigan and Nojel Eastern?

Yep, I know, Nojel was only 77th.
That number sometimes means nothing. Shai Alexander was a 4 star recruit. The kid from texas tech wasn’t I don’t think a top 100 kid but both were 1st round picks. I wouldn’t put to much stock into 50 to 100 range recruits when many top 50 recruits don’t pan out in college cuz some are over hyped. Brandon Newman from Kansas trevon duval Duke Marques bolden Duke and many more AA top 50ish recruits don’t sometimes change the complexion of your team.

That number sometimes means nothing. Shai Alexander was a 4 star recruit. The kid from texas tech wasn’t I don’t think a top 100 kid but both were 1st round picks. I wouldn’t put to much stock into 50 to 100 range recruits when many top 50 recruits don’t pan out in college cuz some are over hyped. Brandon Newman from Kansas trevon duval Duke Marques bolden Duke and many more AA top 50ish recruits don’t sometimes change the complexion of your team.
Most of the time 5* players perform as expected. For every Marques Bolden there are 10 Caleb Swanigan type players. Trevon Duval averaged 10 points and 6 assists for one of the best teams in the country, so I wouldn't call him a bust at the college level.

Recruiting rankings aren't everything, but they are a good way to determine who will be immediate impact players for the most part.

Reactions: nagemj02
Most of the time 5* players perform as expected. For every Marques Bolden there are 10 Caleb Swanigan type players. Trevon Duval averaged 10 points and 6 assists for one of the best teams in the country, so I wouldn't call him a bust at the college level.

Recruiting rankings aren't everything, but they are a good way to determine who will be immediate impact players for the most part.
You are correct sir but when those players go to Kentucky and the blue blood teams they go there for 1 reason only hoping to either be 1 N Done for the exposure and there expectations are higher than those who don’t so when they don’t reach there destination NBA its seen as a bust in so many words. But I actually agree with your statement.

Change how he pitches to recruits or how he sells his offense...The phrase "there's more than one way to skin a cat..." Maybe how he's saying something doesn't resonate but he can say the same thing coming from a different angle that could work better? Maybe it's dividing up the coaching staff to target specific recruits? I'm sure there's something he can do to change things up short of paying kids.

Specifics here since you think Painter needs to change his pitch?? (Not a rhetorical question). I just read ever so frequently on here how CMP needs to change his pitch but have never heard anyone offer what specific changes. I for one am not familiar with Coach’s pitch(or pitch’s) but obviously all these folks suggesting he needs to change surely have something in mind. Sure we all agree change for change’s sake alone is pretty pointless.

Specifics here since you think Painter needs to change his pitch?? (Not a rhetorical question). I just read ever so frequently on here how CMP needs to change his pitch but have never heard anyone offer what specific changes. I for one am not familiar with Coach’s pitch(or pitch’s) but obviously all these folks suggesting he needs to change surely have something in mind. Sure we all agree change for change’s sake alone is pretty pointless.
It's been discussed on here 100s of times.

Painter's pitch:

If you come in and work hard enough, you can earn some playing time early on.

This pitch works well with lower ranked recruits. It doesn't resonate with elite players, because they expect to come to a school like Purdue and start right away while playing major minutes.

Painter should change his pitch for elite players to be something like:

You are going to come in and immediately start and play 30 min/gm. The offense is going to run through you. We think you could put up all American type numbers with the amount of touches you are going to get.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT