ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Hall update

Status
Not open for further replies.
For every player you name that was great on defense, bad on offense, I can name one that was great at both.

What's your definition of great?

Kramer: great defender, below avg offense
Ray Davis: great defender, below avg offense
Jawaun Johnson:good defender, good, not great offense
LewJack: good defender, below avg offense
Mathias: good, not great defender, above avg O.

Who you got?

dude . . . you're one to talk.

You eat "chili," and the list of ingredients CLEARLY shows "dog meat" . . . "processed wild pig" . . . "imitation flavoring" . . . "fake chili" . . .

And you STILL eat that sh*t.

Don't you be callin' out others on readin' . . .

somebody is butthurt again.

Take your meds.

Take my meds? Clearly.

As someone pointed out, these threads do tend to become moronic...case in point^^^^

Now there's several flies in the room...……..sheesh, maybe some of you should get this info to CMP himself. How in the world you know what is said behind closed doors is uncanny! And then you use a scumbag like Calipari as an example? Recruiting gurus!

Now there's several flies in the room...……..sheesh, maybe some of you should get this info to CMP himself. How in the world you know what is said behind closed doors is uncanny! And then you use a scumbag like Calipari as an example? Recruiting gurus!

Flies in the room? Uhhhh no bud, getting this info from page 2 of this EXACT thread, from the mother of a current player WHO ACTUALLY WAS IN THE ROOM WITH MATT PAINTER PITCHING HER SON

"I’ll say this again painter keeps it real he makes no promises your playing time is earned. He’s upfront how he sees you playing in his offense while stressing how important playing defense is too that many many freshmen forget they have to do that when they get to college."

"Painter is a good dude they don’t sell a pipe dream or promises that so many of these recruits want to at least hear especially the so call top recruits but rather tell you what he knows bcuz he has seen you play and sees opportunities for you if you come in and earn."

Nobody is claiming to know what is being said behind closed doors, simply basing an opinion from first hand knowledge of the situation. And Painter's unflattering results these last 10 years landing top 50 talent speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Flies in the room? Uhhhh no bud, getting this info from page 2 of this EXACT thread, from the mother of a current player WHO ACTUALLY WAS IN THE ROOM WITH MATT PAINTER PITCHING HER SON

"I’ll say this again painter keeps it real he makes no promises your playing time is earned. He’s upfront how he sees you playing in his offense while stressing how important playing defense is too that many many freshmen forget they have to do that when they get to college."

"Painter is a good dude they don’t sell a pipe dream or promises that so many of these recruits want to at least hear especially the so call top recruits but rather tell you what he knows bcuz he has seen you play and sees opportunities for you if you come in and earn."

Nobody is claiming to know what is being said behind closed doors, simply basing an opinion from first hand knowledge of the situation. And Painter's unstaggering results these last 10 years landing top 50 talent speak for themselves.

Really?? You seem to know all about CMP's recruiting techniques and such. I mean over a year, or two, or more timeframe you couldn't possibly know the situation as well as CMP himself...…...unless you are a fly in the room that is. Unstaggering results......LOL. You must be one of those guys who only goes by a recruits stars, etc. Seems as though CMP's unstaggering recruiting results have actually resulted in some pretty good....results. It has been suggested that guys like you would want CMP to lie to a recruit. Then what happens when the recruit is unhappy...….transfer, cancer on the team, etc. Not worth it, and really not much in the ethics department either. You do realize that the above description of CMP's "pitch" was a compliment by the mother, right? Are you suggesting that CMP's "pitch" worked on him because he wasn't worth "lying" to? Is he yet another "unstaggering" result? Leave the recruiting to those in charge, bud.

Really?? You seem to know all about CMP's recruiting techniques and such. I mean over a year, or two, or more timeframe you couldn't possibly know the situation as well as CMP himself...…...unless you are a fly in the room that is. Unstaggering results......LOL. You must be one of those guys who only goes by a recruits stars, etc. Seems as though CMP's unstaggering recruiting results have actually resulted in some pretty good....results. It has been suggested that guys like you would want CMP to lie to a recruit. Then what happens when the recruit is unhappy...….transfer, cancer on the team, etc. Not worth it, and really not much in the ethics department either. You do realize that the above description of CMP's "pitch" was a compliment by the mother, right? Are you suggesting that CMP's "pitch" worked on him because he wasn't worth "lying" to? Is he yet another "unstaggering" result? Leave the recruiting to those in charge, bud.

Lie to the recruit about what? Is saying, "by coming to Purdue, I'll do my best to get you to the next level" instead of "work hard and you'll get to play as a freshman" lying? What in the actual hell? How is that lying? If you think 5*'s are committing to schools because they are being pitched on, "Come to X school, do whatever you want for a year, etc etc" you're delusional. It's not how it works. The top freshman want to be sold on the idea of playing at a program that best prepares them for the next level. Not that they MIGHT play as a freshman IF they work hard. Painter is honest in his approach, nobody is denying that, but his pitch clearly isn't resonating with top end talent. How many top 30 and 5* kids have strongly considered Purdue and then decided to commit elsewhere? It happens every year. Painter cannot close on top end talent like he should be able to. But continue to bury your head in the sand and act like Painter is doing the program a favor by being "Mr Nice Guy" when it comes to selling top recruits the chance to play for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
It's not a lie when you say, "Come to school X, I'll do everything in my power to put you in the best position to make it to the NBA" vs "come to Purdue, I know you have NBA aspirations and if you work hard and give great effort you'll earn minutes as a freshman". Sell that your son without any school names attached and ask him what school he would prefer.

Wendell Carter was a lottery pick who is making more money than he can count.
That's not what happened. You can't tell a kid you are our focus on offense but still heavily recruiting the top player in the nation.if this isn't lying then why did this beckmb public after there son was a lottery pick. Because they were lied to

Lie to the recruit about what? Is saying, "by coming to Purdue, I'll do my best to get you to the next level" instead of "work hard and you'll get to play as a freshman" lying? What in the actual hell? How is that lying? If you think 5*'s are committing to schools because they are being pitched on, "Come to X school, do whatever you want for a year, etc etc" you're delusional. It's not how it works. The top freshman want to be sold on the idea of playing at a program that best prepares them for the next level. Not that they MIGHT play as a freshman IF they work hard. Painter is honest in his approach, nobody is denying that, but his pitch clearly isn't resonating talent. How many top 30 and 5* kids have strongly considered Purdue and then decided to commit elsewhere? It happens every year. Painter cannot close on top end talent like he should be able to. But continue to bury your head in the sand and act like Painter is doing the program I favor by being "Mr Nice Guy" when it comes to selling top recruits the chance to play for him.

CMP has always worked hard in regards to getting his players to the NBA...….always. He wants all his players to go on to the next level. What the hell? Once again, you are basically calling the current squad chopped liver because of their lack of star power, or whatever?. But then again, you would have passed up recruits like Kramer, Carson Edwards, etc. SMH.
You are no longer on my Christmas list...…….

Good read...
https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...t-approach-hosting-official-visits/979198002/

That's not what happened. You can't tell a kid you are our focus on offense but still heavily recruiting the top player in the nation.if this isn't lying then why did this beckmb public after there son was a lottery pick. Because they were lied to

Completely overblown situation. Wendell Carter committed to Duke in November of 2016 as one of the top recruits in the class of 2017. Marvin Bagley reclassified from the class of 2018 in September of 2017 and committed to Duke shortly after. That's nearly a year separation. It's not like Coach K was recruiting Bagley the entire time while making that promise to Wendell Carter ok. If you think Coach K shouldn't have recruited Bagley after he reclassified because a year prior he told Carter he would be the focal point of Duke's offense, well then you're an idiot. Not recruiting the best recruit in the country over that? Seriously. No wonder why Purdue has never gotten past the S16 under Painter.

Nobody is claiming to know what is being said behind closed doors, simply basing an opinion from first hand knowledge of the situation. And Painter's unflattering results these last 10 years landing top 50 talent speak for themselves.
. As a mother of a recruit who was being recruited by many to often coahes sell the untruth to theses kids including to blue bloods and here’s is what can happen even if you say to a recruit that he the coach can get you to the nba simply those are just words. If you are a nba caliber player they will find you no matter who you play for it’s the exposure ESPN CBS FOX or being in the top 25 is how you get noticed. Calipari or coach can’t play games for any recruit and quite frankly once you sign that Letter Of Intent most of those promises goes out the window that’s real talk. Bottom line as I stated before painter pitch is real no lies but straight forward. So you no painter is a chairman on USA basketball committee that helps a lot to nba hopeful. If you can Ball and have NBA aspirations you have to perform no matter what school you go to and as we all can see even your top 25 rank players who comes to college so many don’t pan out either. My son did put his name in the draft got great feedback they liked what he showed in those workouts now he is on the nba watch bcuz for a PG at 6”7 at 220 pounds at his size length athleticism speed defense passing rebounding and ability to get to the basket they told my son continue to be great at what you do best and he does all these great he did it in the workouts told him to continue to work on your shot which he has but don’t let that hinder you just be you so he will this season. Painter sells his program and all opportunities you have to not only play in college but if you got talent and nba talent I’m telling you they the scouts will find you.

. As a mother of a recruit who was being recruited by many to often coahes sell the untruth to theses kids including to blue bloods and here’s is what can happen even if you say to a recruit that he the coach can get you to the nba simply those are just words. If you are a nba caliber player they will find you no matter who you play for it’s the exposure ESPN CBS FOX or being in the top 25 is how you get noticed. Calipari or coach can’t play games for any recruit and quite frankly once you sign that Letter Of Intent most of those promises goes out the window that’s real talk. Bottom line as I stated before painter pitch is real no lies but straight forward. So you no painter is a chairman on USA basketball committee that helps a lot to nba hopeful. If you can Ball and have NBA aspirations you have to perform no matter what school you go to and as we all can see even your top 25 rank players who comes to college so many don’t pan out either. My son did put his name in the draft got great feedback they liked what he showed in those workouts now he is on the nba watch bcuz for a PG at 6”7 at 220 pounds at his size length athleticism speed defense passing rebounding and ability to get to the basket they told my son continue to be great at what you do best and he does all these great he did it in the workouts told him to continue to work on your shot which he has but don’t let that hinder you just be you so he will this season. Painter sells his program and all opportunities you have to not only play in college but if you got talent and nba talent I’m telling you they the scouts will find you.

Now, here is where Bay Boiler tells you that you are wrong...…..in three, two , one...……..

That's not what I said or insinuated. Of course you can still get noticed outside a blue blood school. I'm simply saying that top 30 recruits, the ones who have legitimate aspirations and can get to the NBA within a year or two, don't want to be sold on the idea that they have to earn their minutes as freshman.

It's like what I tell my 5 year old and knowing what my 5 year old wants to hear. "Conrad, if you clean your room, make your bed, and do the rest of your chores we might go to the beach on Saturday". Instead, he simply wants to hear "We're going to the beach Saturday". And he's smart enough to know that usually means he needs to do a chore or two around the house (without it being laid down), just like 5* recruits know that they still have to work hard and play defense, even in college.

The reality is telling people what they want to hear. A kid like Keion Brooks doesn't want to hear, "if you come to Purdue and work really hard you'll get a chance to see a lot of minutes as a freshman". Rather they want to hear, "come to Purdue, I know you have NBA aspirations and we'll incorporate you in our system that puts you in the best position to make an NBA roster when your time comes". One of those pitches is downright honesty and the other is pandering to someones needs, basically, telling a teenager what he wants to hear. I think Painter is too brutally honest at times with recruits, and recruits in the past have said Painter is that honest, whether it be good or bad. No 5* kids wants to hear MIGHT and PLAY EARLY and IF all in the same sentence. A coach pitching the latter isn't saying, "come to X school, do whatever the hell you want until you declare for the NBA draft". But people who think the schools and programs landing 5* kids are simply telling them, "come to my school and do whatever the hell you want" are surely mistaken. If you think Calipari is going to let a kid come in and do whatever he wants, when he wants on his time and not play defense or give effort and still expect to play, those are the people lying to themselves.
Spot on!!

That's not what I said or insinuated. Of course you can still get noticed outside a blue blood school. I'm simply saying that top 30 recruits, the ones who have legitimate aspirations and can get to the NBA within a year or two, don't want to be sold on the idea that they have to earn their minutes as freshman.

It's like what I tell my 5 year old and knowing what my 5 year old wants to hear. "Conrad, if you clean your room, make your bed, and do the rest of your chores we might go to the beach on Saturday". Instead, he simply wants to hear "We're going to the beach Saturday". And he's smart enough to know that usually means he needs to do a chore or two around the house (without it being laid down), just like 5* recruits know that they still have to work hard and play defense, even in college.
So wait, you're going to counter with hyperbole against a parent that has actually gone through the process?

Hang on, let me get some popcorn as this is gonna get entertaining.

Leave the recruiting to those in charge, bud.

Saying Painter shouldn't change up his pitch or saying there's nothing Painter can do to land higher profile recruits is baffling. Recruiting is a part of Painter's job performance and not even getting an OV for TJD or Brooks is concerning. Saying awwww shucks and moving on is one option...Analyzing why he didn't get more traction with those guys and trying new things with the next cycle is another...

Saying Painter shouldn't change up his pitch or saying there's nothing Painter can do to land higher profile recruits is baffling. Recruiting is a part of Painter's job performance and not even getting an OV for TJD or Brooks is concerning. Saying awwww shucks and moving on is one option...Analyzing why he didn't get more traction with those guys and trying new things with the next cycle is another...
The problem is not one of us were in on the process so have no idea what was said or done. So we're making assumptions solely based on the outcome and not what led up to it, because we just don't know.

Who knows what Painter said, maybe they didn't like how he said gif instead of gif. Kids are fickle.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I as a parent told every coach who recruited my son don’t sell me or my son lies bcuz I no my son would come in and work hard and earn his opportunities to play.NBA scouts do come to practices if you have nba caliber talent they in every college gym if you have some player or players on the team that has nba talent. Lying doesn’t help or pitching to a kid who wants to play in the nba it’s simple if you coming out of HS whether top 10/15/30/100 or 200 recruit (Dwayne Wade) if you can BALL they will be in those gyms watching you but you also gotta perform once you get on that court no pitch or lies or coach can help you if you don’t perform no matter the school you at. Painter runs a clean program and you absolutely don’t want to comprise your program for a player that may be looking for more than just playing time.

Yeah, major college recruiting is just like you bribing your son to do his chores. What a great comparison. So what happens when he doesn't do all the chores, but only some.....and you still go to the beach? Great life lesson there. How do your other players, er kids, feel about that? Have you been taken advantage of, or vice versa? CMP tries to recruit character, not characters. He wants players that will do all, not some, of the chores.

The problem is not one of us were in on the process so have no idea what was said or done. So we're making assumptions solely based on the outcome and not what led up to it, because we just don't know.

Who knows what Painter said, maybe they didn't like how he said gif instead of gif. Kids are fickle.

You don't have to be in the room to have an idea of what is being pitched? If Painter is consistently whiffing on top 50 and/or 5* kids obviously whatever he's pitching, ain't working. DUHHHHHHHHHH

You don't have to be in the room to have an idea of what is being pitched? If Painter is consistently whiffing on top 50 and/or 5* kids obviously whatever he's pitching, ain't working. DUHHHHHHHHHH
Well you completely missed the point of what I said, but okay champ. Okay. Relax, it's nothing that serious to get so triggered over.

Have some nutter butters, you'll be okay.

Yeah, major college recruiting is just like you bribing your son to do his chores. What a great comparison. So what happens when he doesn't do all the chores, but only some.....and you still go to the beach? Great life lesson there. How do your other players, er kids, feel about that? Have you been taken advantage of, or vice versa? CMP tries to recruit character, not characters. He wants players that will do all, not some, of the chores.

Great. And when Painter never eclipses the Sweet 16 we'll all know why. Thank you for solving that.

He’s does probably say that he told me and my son that if you put in the work your nba aspirations can come true. You do still has to play sir no matter what team you play for even if you a top 30 recruit. He’s a plenty of knowledge about what the nba is looking for they come into his practices watching his players as well. Purdue academics may be a reason why some don’t wanna come there can’t lie or pitch to them taking books on ball as a class can you no he sells his program and tells you work hard you will be able to play at the next level bcuz those nba ppl want to no if you do those things too so if the nba scouts or GMs come a calling they are gonna ask those questions from who the coaches. Painter is a coach that tells recruit what’s real why my son and I chose Purdue over many school who was recruiting him he kept it real.

Not countering with anything?
You're right, you weren't. Great job admitting it Melvin. I'm so proud of you.

You are one easily triggered gumball to say the least. I see the correlation to you and Iron though, your posting styles are essentially identical. Ooo and a little plot twist, maybe you are steel too just to throw people off. If so that is an ingenious move!

But.. .. who am I to judge. I am just a long time reader but former forum poster that is hoping for the good days of this place to return.

Last edited:
He’s does probably say that he told me and my son that if you put in the work your nba aspirations can come true. You do still has to play sir no matter what team you play for even if you a top 30 recruit. He’s a plenty of knowledge about what the nba is looking for they come into his practices watching his players as well. Purdue academics may be a reason why some don’t wanna come there can’t lie or pitch to them taking books on ball as a class can you no he sells his program and tells you work hard you will be able to play at the next level bcuz those nba ppl want to no if you do those things too so if the nba scouts or GMs come a calling they are gonna ask those questions from who the coaches. Painter is a coach that tells recruit what’s real why my son and I chose Purdue over many school who was recruiting him he kept it real.
Thank you very much for the insight and clearing things up. It's very refreshing getting first hand knowledge like this from someone that was literally involved in the process.

Thank you.

You're right, you weren't. Great job admitting it Melvin. I'm so proud of you.

You are one easily triggered gumball to say the least. I see the correlation to you and Iron though, your posting styles are essentially identical. But.. .. who am I to judge. I am just a long time reader but former forum poster that is hoping for the good days of this place to return.
Man, I was thinking the same.

Actually, you kind of do...….it isn't as simple as you make it out to be. DUHHHHHHHH
His "pitch" has worked on 2 POTY Candidates...….CE (3 star) and Biggie (5 star). It's not the star, it's the player behind the star that CMP "pitchs" to. Whether they choose to come to PU or not is up to them. But he ain't gonna cater to a player (1 star thru 5 star) if said player isn't willing Boiler Up...…..AND.....Hammer Down.

Bash CMP, bash the players and bash incoming recruits. I would say become an IU fan since you claim you're not.

A fan doesn't have the right to be upset/concerned that the coach of the team they root for isn't recruiting the necessary talent to break a 13 year glass ceiling? Is this the basketball forum or the tiddlywinks forum?

Man, I was thinking the same.
I mean I hate to stir that pot, but it's been brought up so the door was open I guess. And all three names start with "B".... hmmmmm.

You can kinda tell though because all three of the B's get triggered really easily. I mean you have Boiledsteel coming out of the woodwork in a thread that triggered Babs and BI as well....... coincidence?

Hey to each their own, if people want to log in with a different ID every day. Who really cares I guess.

Great. And when Painter never eclipses the Sweet 16 we'll all know why. Thank you for solving that.
Sir I get your point too I do getting top 25/50 recruits doesn’t mean results Kentucky duke has all that and in recent year last 4 how has all that worked out since there last sweet 16 let alone elite 8 or final 4 for that fact. He’s got a team this season that has legit chance to go further than many believe they looking at their youth and inexperience as a reason they don’t see them finishing high in the big 10 or barely making the Ncaa tournament. Youth experience athleticism speed shooters size and 3 guards that all can create for themselves and their teammates will be hard to beat once this team just get some games under their belt. Your point is well taken but sir he’s pitching those exact things but remember this every top 30 recruit doesn’t equate to a NBA player especially those coming out of HS.

Man, give that crystal ball a break...….it has to be overheating LOL
You know whats funny, is that say Painter continues to consistently get to the S16 and no further, that means he would consistently be one of the top 16 coaches in the land.

Who wouldn't want someone like that coaching their team? Only some on this forum it seems, which is sad because they have such an emotional attachment to something they have no control over. They would be so much happier if they just enjoyed the ride no matter where it took them.

Duke has 3 national titles in the last 10 years and Kentucky has been to the E8 or better in 6 out of Calipari's 9 years at UK. I would say there is a direct correlation that states having the best talent translates to the best results. And if you pay any kind of close attention to the NBA, what schools produce the most NBA talent and where were they ranked coming out of high school? With all due respect I don't want to get into this anymore but this isn't exactly rocket science.
SO TRIGGERED!

You know whats funny, is that say Painter continues to consistently get to the S16 and no further, that means he would consistently be one of the top 16 coaches in the land.

Who wouldn't want someone like that coaching their team? Only some on this forum it seems, which is sad because they have such an emotional attachment to something they have no control over. They would be so much happier if they just enjoyed the ride no matter where it took them.

Consistently gets to the S16? He's been to 4 S16's in 13 years (so less than every 4 years) and his first two S16 appearances and his last two S16 appearances were sandwiched between:

2nd round loss
2nd round loss
missed tourney
missed tourney
first round loss
first round loss

Please stop patronizing me at the expense of making you look like a fool.

Consistently gets to the S16? He's been to 4 S16's in 13 years (so less than every 4 years) and his first two S16 appearances and his last two S16 appearances were sandwiched between:

2nd round loss
2nd round loss
missed tourney
missed tourney
first round loss
first round loss

Please stop patronizing me at the expense of making you look like a fool.
na it's okay Babs, the only one looking foolish in this is you. I mean you're just a easily triggered little fluffball that has had several people prove you wrong outside of myself. It will be okay though. Your true colors are out now and you can rest easy. Quick! login with BoilerIron to agree with yourself or Boiledsteel to distract from everything!

You are honestly making me laugh at you outloud my friend. I knew triggering you would be entertaining and you didn't disappoint. I'm going to go do other things now, so you can relax as I'll leave you alone.

I was baiting you to see if you would bite and expose your true self and you have. Thanks for the laughs and have a good one.

Reactions: Inspector100
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT