ADVERTISEMENT

Kostas

And you would be 110% incorrect on that thinking. At least from my perspective anyway. As I have said a few times, I am indifferent on CMP right now simply because he isn't going anywhere and unless he has a terrible season again, is likely to be here for quite some time. Plus like pretty much all of us on here, I'm not in the huddle/practices/conversations CMP has with the players so I don't even bother trying to assume to know what he does and doesn't teach them. Which like I said is the same as all of us on here because our perception of things show on TV is probably not even close to what actually goes on.

I liken it to how I train my employees. I send them to training, I teach them how to do things but ultimately it is up to THEM to perform the tasks I give them. Now if I fail to give them the knowledge they need, then yep that is on me. Which is also one way I view CMP and the players... when they are on the court, it is their responsibility to execute the plays and make the shots.

I stand by what I said earlier as well. Just because you don't see me, as an example, calling CMP out a lot doesn't mean I don't when talking to other Boilers or say something while watching on TV. You assume it doesn't happen because YOU don't see it, but at least for me, I do point out issues when they happen. I just don't get up in arms over it because the next day it all changes anyway.

There is no coach anywhere that won't make a mistake here and there or miss on a recruit and the replacements once suggested for CMP were either no better or in some instances, WORSE. That is my biggest issue with those that have jumped off the cliff and have it already in their mind that CMP can't do anything right. They are rather blinded by their own agenda or whatever that they just don't see things in a realistic light anymore.

Now, do I think CMP is the best coach in the B1G? Nope. Is he mediocre? Nope. He is above average with a chance to be rather good. And no I am not "settling" with CMP I am being realistic for the school he works for and taking in to account the things he has done. We are known for things other than basketball and those things are ranked very high and that is what kids will come here for and that stigma/reputation we have often times over shadows our sports programs, whether we like it or not.

I won't keep going back and forth with you over this because it's pointless and won't go anywhere and I respect your posts. But I will leave you with this, you say that "we" are the root of this rift but who is at the center of all of this because they took issue with being called out? You my friend. People are going to counter your opinion and that is their right, just like it is yours to disagree.

Anyway, I wish you well as I exit this exchange.
I agree with this, with one stipulation:
If you both hire AND train your employees, and they fail, that is all on you. I really don't care how Painter recruits and trains his players, as long as he does it successfully and within the rules. He has generally succeeded at this, with a couple of exceptions.

However, With the investments made in the program recently, I do expect to see a corresponding improvement in the teams performance, before he is given an extension.

I'd like to see all of us keep our emotions in check...............sh*t like this is going on in the world. Bigger fish to fry fellas.........bigger fish to fry

tumblr_nagq6amcu91ry46hlo1_500.gif

Last edited:
I agree with this, with one stipulation:
If you both hire AND train your employees, and they fail, that is all on you.
To a point you are correct, but sooner or later the employee is expected to do what they have been instructed to do and if not, it is on them. You can't hold an employee's hand all the time and they bear the responsibility then.

I'll give you a perfect example. Say I train one of my people to reconfigure a router for a specific set of protocols and then send them off to a site to set all that up. When on the site, if that employee forgets what I told them or told me they understood when they really didn't and they end up doing everything wrong, that is all on them. Even if I have them prove it on a test router (like practice) and they still get it wrong because they forgot, etc .. then that is on them. But, it is also a learning experience for both me and the employee.

But really we are digressing in to personal belief now. But that is the great thing about this forum, we can do that :).

Rest of your post I agree with.

I think this is a healthy discussion. No one seems "off", or overly emotional. Everyone "seems ok???" to me. Just a passionate discussion amongst a group of people with strong opinions...overall controlled, and very respectful.

Hell, I used to drink handles of bourbon, eat fist-loads of pills, and threaten people on the Internetz with shotguns. So ya know, everything here seems pretty stable IMO.

:cool:

To a point you are correct, but sooner or later the employee is expected to do what they have been instructed to do and if not, it is on them. You can't hold an employee's hand all the time and they bear the responsibility then.

I'll give you a perfect example. Say I train one of my people to reconfigure a router for a specific set of protocols and then send them off to a site to set all that up. When on the site, if that employee forgets what I told them or told me they understood when they really didn't and they end up doing everything wrong, that is all on them. Even if I have them prove it on a test router (like practice) and they still get it wrong because they forgot, etc .. then that is on them. But, it is also a learning experience for both me and the employee.

But really we are digressing in to personal belief now. But that is the great thing about this forum, we can do that :).

Rest of your post I agree with.
In your scenario, if you hired that moron, you should be held accountable for that. Just as if Painter recruits a bunch of kids who can't execute his great game plan, he should be held accountable.

Nag, are you OK??? Seems like in the past two weeks the emotional tone of your posts has changed dramatically. Hope you are doing well!!! Always like your posts.
I thought he was off line a while back having a few battles with cancer. I hope it hasn't reared its ugly head and really hope he wins his battles...

Reactions: SIBoiler2
In your scenario, if you hired that moron, you should be held accountable for that. Just as if Painter recruits a bunch of kids who can't execute his great game plan, he should be held accountable.
Mmmm not quite. In the scenario I gave the employee might have the skills to do other things but just because he didn't learn something he was told to learn is 100% on him.

Same when they are on the court. The players are the ones making the plays so that point the bear sole responsibility. Cmp then is responsible for getting the players on the court that will execute which can change each game.

We can agree to disagree because we will never see eye to eye on that.

IU hired a moron for a coach. If his recruits can't execute at a championship level with moronic coaching THEY get CREANED!!!

Reactions: BBG
Mmmm not quite. In the scenario I gave the employee might have the skills to do other things but just because he didn't learn something he was told to learn is 100% on him.

Same when they are on the court. The players are the ones making the plays so that point the bear sole responsibility. Cmp then is responsible for getting the players on the court that will execute which can change each game.

We can agree to disagree because we will never see eye to eye on that.
Wouldnt you want to hire an employee with ALL the skills and abilities necessary for the job?

Now, if there are external factors involved, that would change the equation. Maybe in your scenario, you can't pay market value for the ideal prospect, so you have to take what you can get, and live with the shortcomings.

I would argue Painter isn't in that scenario. He has what he needs to succeed.

Wouldnt you want to hire an employee with ALL the skills and abilities necessary for the job?

Now, if there are external factors involved, that would change the equation. Maybe in your scenario, you can't pay market value for the ideal prospect, so you have to take what you can get, and live with the shortcomings.

I would argue Painter isn't in that scenario. He has what he needs to succeed.
Being in the IT world hiring someone that has all the skills for the present and the future is impossible. Same with college bball to an extent because the rules change constantly.

I would argue that CMP IS in that scenario because he sees what these players do in high school and with all things being unequal, it doesn't necessarily translate to college ball. Which is the core problem with this line of thinking. Things are not the same all over and college busts happen all the time. Same can be said on the flip side, someone that doesn't perform well may explode in college. Also, where you are recruiting to has an impact. Like if Painter goes hard after a kid and does everything allowed by the NCAA but yet the kid chooses elsewhere because of a multitude of reasons what more could Painter do? Wave his hand and use the Jedi mind trick and say "this is not the school you are looking for" ?

Like I said, I hold CMP accountable just as much as the next guy, but it is based on realism and not knee-jerk reactionism. And just because I don't spread it all across an internet forum, it doesn't mean I don't think CMP has faults. But then again every coach does.

"I won't keep going back and forth with you over this because it's pointless and won't go anywhere and I respect your posts. But I will leave you with this, you say that "we" are the root of this rift but who is at the center of all of this because they took issue with being called out? You my friend. People are going to counter your opinion and that is their right, just like it is yours to disagree."

You can call it out being "called out". I call it someone having a tantrum towards me because I don't think a particular Purdue team was as great as he believes it was. He does this a lot, too. It's not like this was a one time deal. It's happened repeatedly over the last several years. I see no point in trying to converse with him anymore. His opinions on Purdue, Painter, and other programs are so out of touch with reality that I can't take him seriously enough to want to read anything he posts.

tjreese, yes I have cancer but that has nothing to with my opinions. It sounds like you're trying to use that knowledge to discredit me and act like something's wrong with my opinion. I can see the follow the leader group mentality showing up in this thread, with BBG leading and guys like SI Boiler and yourself trying to post the same way because you feel more of an allegiance to him: my opinion's not going to change on Mathboy, so give up the crusade for him.

Last edited:
Why isn't a thread NAMED Kostas filled with things NOT related to Kostas?

Please take you squabbles elsewhere. I keep coming in, hoping for some news about Kostas. Instead I have to scroll through an argument of which I am not a part.

You can ask Mathboy. He triggered the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure there's some recent news on Boiling Over and other sites as well, so it's not like this thread is the only source to find info. on him.

"I won't keep going back and forth with you over this because it's pointless and won't go anywhere and I respect your posts. But I will leave you with this, you say that "we" are the root of this rift but who is at the center of all of this because they took issue with being called out? You my friend. People are going to counter your opinion and that is their right, just like it is yours to disagree."

You can call it out being "called out". I call it someone having a tantrum towards me because I don't think a particular Purdue team was as great as he believes it was. He does this a lot, too. It's not like this was a one time deal. It's happened repeatedly over the last several years. I see no point in trying to converse with him anymore. His opinions on Purdue, Painter, and other programs are so out of touch with reality that I can't take him seriously enough to want to read anything he posts.

tjreese, yes I have cancer but that has nothing to with my opinions. It sounds like you're trying to use that knowledge to discredit me and act like something's wrong with my opinion. I can see the follow the leader group mentality showing up in this thread, with BBG leading and guys like SI Boiler and yourself trying to post the same way because you feel more of an allegiance to him: my opinion's not going to change on Mathboy, so give up the crusade for him.
I asked the health question because I know of your recent history and because of concern for you not to "shade" the current discussion. It won't be mentioned again by me. As for Kostas this is starting to be reminiscent of some past episodes like D Willis.

Life is too short fellas........we all Boilermaker fans here. Speaking of which.........I thought a recipe was necessary, and it's a short one! If no whiskey is on hand just drink the beer while looking at a picture of Gene Keady. Anything to add BBG?

THE BOILERMAKER
Boilermaker-87252512.jpg

All you need for a Boilermaker is your favorite whiskey and a pint of beer. Shoot it or sip it, the choice is yours. Jeff Kauck / Photolibrary / Getty Images
Updated April 23, 2016.

The Boilermaker is as popular as the Irish Car Bomb andJäger Bomb and has the same ability to get you very drunk very quick. That is probably why it is such a popular party drink.

There are two ways to drink a Boilermaker: as a dropped shot or a slow sipper. Which you choose will likely depend on your drinking style and your mood of the moment.

When drinking dropped shots, take care not to get too wild. Shot glasses floating freely inside the bigger glass have been known to chip teeth, so consider yourself warned. That hazard and the intoxicating effect of downing beer and whiskey so quickly deems the Boilermaker worthy of only the bravest (or craziest, depending on your perspective) of drinkers.

On the other hand, many Boilermaker fans take a more mature approach to this drink. They will sip the whiskey and beer at a slow pace and enjoy every sip rather than chugging it down. In this instance, the beer-whiskey combo is very enjoyable.

To each his own, now let's have a drink!

INGREDIENTS
  • Prep Time: 3 minutes
  • Cook Time: 0 minutes
  • Total Time: 3 minutes
  • Yield: 1 Shooter
PREPARATION
  1. Pour a shot of whiskey in a shot glass.
  2. Fill a pint glass with beer.
  3. Drop the shot glass into the beer and drink.
How Strong is the Boilermaker?
There is no mixing of this drink, so you will be drinking a beer and a shot of whiskey at their full strength. In moderation, that's not bad. However, if you drink more than one Boilermaker within an hour or two, it will get you drunk rather quicker.

I have no desire to discredit you or anyone else. I actually enjoy your posts. Cancer is tough and I'm happy to learn you are not in a struggle. Take care of yourself...

Being in the IT world hiring someone that has all the skills for the present and the future is impossible. Same with college bball to an extent because the rules change constantly.

I would argue that CMP IS in that scenario because he sees what these players do in high school and with all things being unequal, it doesn't necessarily translate to college ball. Which is the core problem with this line of thinking. Things are not the same all over and college busts happen all the time. Same can be said on the flip side, someone that doesn't perform well may explode in college. Also, where you are recruiting to has an impact. Like if Painter goes hard after a kid and does everything allowed by the NCAA but yet the kid chooses elsewhere because of a multitude of reasons what more could Painter do? Wave his hand and use the Jedi mind trick and say "this is not the school you are looking for" ?

Like I said, I hold CMP accountable just as much as the next guy, but it is based on realism and not knee-jerk reactionism. And just because I don't spread it all across an internet forum, it doesn't mean I don't think CMP has faults. But then again every coach does.

The bottom line for Painter, or any coach at a high major school, is to win. Plain and simple, end of discussion.
So, if it's a recruiting philosophy, player development, coaching style, offensive/defensive philosophy, or whatever, it comes down to whether that coach wins at a high enough level to justify keeping his job. But, all of it falls on Painter. Yes, players ultimately have to execute, but that is the same situation with every coach. Every coach does what he thinks is going to win and puts his players on the floor. But eventually, the coaches players are able to consistently get the job done and advance in the tourny or they don't.
But either way, it's all on the coach.

The bottom line for Painter, or any coach at a high major school, is to win. Plain and simple, end of discussion.
So, if it's a recruiting philosophy, player development, coaching style, offensive/defensive philosophy, or whatever, it comes down to whether that coach wins at a high enough level to justify keeping his job. But, all of it falls on Painter. Yes, players ultimately have to execute, but that is the same situation with every coach. Every coach does what he thinks is going to win and puts his players on the floor. But eventually, the coaches players are able to consistently get the job done and advance in the tourny or they don't.
But either way, it's all on the coach.
And to a point you are correct but it just isn't that cut and dry IMO. As I said before, the coach has to put the players on the court for the given situation that gives them the best shot at winning. The players then have to execute on the court and if not, the coach has to adjust. Which through the season CMP did in games and in some games didn't do it soon enough. But it isn't all on the coach, the players have responsibility in this as well.

At any rate, I'm done discussing this because we all have our opinions on it and none of us are going to change. This thread took a downward spiral (which I admit, I didn't help even though I tried) and just needs to die or get back on topic.

Not really, it's more like an accurate description because you constantly defend Painter, even when it's obvious he's made some dumb decisions (in games, on the recruiting trail, etc.). You refuse to acknowledge that he should be held accountable for making bad decisions.

Show me where I have defended his decisions. You said that I "constantly" defend him, even when he has "obviously" made dumb decisions. If that is not more hyperbole, then you must be able to come up with hundreds and hundreds of examples, because I have been involved in many of these discussions. Please post one. But be specific. No more exaggerations.

You see, this is the problem. You say Painter should be fired. The fact is, if he is fired, then he must be replaced. But if someone asks you to name someone better who could replace him, you take the comment to the extreme, as you did above claiming that they are defending Painter's decisions. I remember a discussion where someone claimed that Purdue would not go to a Final Four without JUCOs on the team. I simply disagreed that JUCOs are the missing piece. You went to the extreme (again) and asked why I disliked JUCOs so much. (I have posted several times over the years that some of my all-time favorite Boilers were JUCOs.) But if someone disagrees with you, you immediately go the hyperbole route.

You can ask Mathboy. He triggered the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure there's some recent news on Boiling Over and other sites as well, so it's not like this thread is the only source to find info. on him.

Triggered this whole thing? Well, I guess I triggered your temper tantrum.

I just stated that IMHO the Booker-David Teague-Ken Lowe team was pretty good. That's all. As for my opinions, you have also clearly misstated them, again, and again and use your interpretation of them as some sort of damning statement.. You are way off base here. Please stop calling me out. I have resisted responding to your childish rants, but this one is just too much.

This is one of the most paranoid posts I have ever read.

I'm curious if you have an inkling to my allegiances as well. Because, you know, nobody really has opinions; only allegiances.

So... any news on Kostas? You know, the topic of the thread...
You didn't put OT: before your post ... but I sincerely thank you for the post.

OMFG, WWJD, HOLY COW am I glad my vacation location has very limited internet. It saved me from THIS!!!! I feel like the luckiest man in the world.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
He is a Dayton Flyer boys
Yeah. Most of us know. Some can't grasp that he wants to be a guaranteed starter which is the case at Dayton due to a sad loss apparently. Others are without a clue that Dayton has a solid program. And finally there is the subset that doesn't know...at all.
Give him a year to adjust and then he will be lots of fun for the Flyers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT