ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Haas accused about lying about STDs...

This lawsuit is a joke - her only hope was to get to paid to keep this quiet but that is over now that this article has appeared. If every person who got herpes sued the person with whom they had consensual sex the courts would be overwhelmed. Look at the statistics on herpes: 1 out of 6 people ages 14 to 49 have genital herpes, 50 to 80% of people 50 and under have oral herpes and 90% of adults will be exposed to oral herpes by age 50. [Oral herpes can be a source of genital herpes.] Also, she is as much responsible for not using protection as Isaac - did she ask him to use a condom? Where is her proof that she got herpes from this sexual encounter? Do people lie to persuade someone to have sex? OMG yes. A decent attorney will rip her testimony [and alas, her reputation] to shreds. I have sympathy for both the young woman and for Isaac but the facts are that she did not have to "hook up" for a one night stand. One could even make a case that there was malice involved on her part.
Girls get tested a lot in this day and age. She may be able to provide some decent evidence. But I also see where you're going. It will likely be easy to find some other people she has slept with and trash her reputation and credibility. I kind of look at this like jaywalking. Yes, you can get away with it, but if you get hit by a car...well...it's your fault too.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Girls get tested a lot in this day and age. She may be able to provide some decent evidence. But I also see where you're going. It will likely be easy to find some other people she has slept with and trash her reputation and credibility. I kind of look at this like jaywalking. Yes, you can get away with it, but if you get hit by a car...well...it's your fault too.

The thing with herpes is that you can have it for a substantial amount of time and not know about it. And using protection doesn't necessarily prevent the spread. I've only read articles - but it seems select texts are quoted, but some (more "damning") are just summarized and you can obviously summarize them to the point you're trying to make.

Obviously requesting a jury trial is a move made to try and get a settlement. Haas doesn't want to have a public case around his draft period - and a large institution like Purdue would be more inclined to pay something less than what they'd spend on the case. And I'm guessing they added the other girl to try to get her to turn on him.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think its a damn shame that details regarding this persons sex life and stds are in the news. This entire thread needs to go away. I feel bad for all involved.
It goes both ways, unfortunately. So Isaac got the Go Fund Me for his sister's dog. Isaac got the attention for fouls and for his broken elbow. This comes with the territory.

It goes both ways, unfortunately. So Isaac got the Go Fund Me for his sister's dog. Isaac got the attention for fouls and for his broken elbow. This comes with the territory.
No. You are wrong. You are talking about different things. The things you mentioned are proven facts. He did have broken elbow, he did start a go fund me page, and he got the crap beat out of him nightly. We have no idea if he gave that girl, or any other girl a std. At this point it is not a fact. Yet, it is out there for all the world to read about. Can you imagine just for a minute how your peers and friends would look at you if the same thing happened to you? I bet you would hang head in shame, be embarrased, and mad ass hell. Especially if it wasnt true.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Don't shoot the messenger, but I've heard from multiple Purdue students I work with that everyone on campus knows someone that Haas has slept with. That's obviously an exaggeration, but you get the point. As a result, while sad, this story isn't that surprising to me.

No. You are wrong. You are talking about different things. The things you mentioned are proven facts. He did have broken elbow, he did start a go fund me page, and he got the crap beat out of him nightly. We have no idea if he gave that girl, or any other girl a std. At this point it is not a fact. Yet, it is out there for all the world to read about. Can you imagine just for a minute how your peers and friends would look at you if the same thing happened to you? I bet you would hang head in shame, be embarrased, and mad ass hell. Especially if it wasnt true.
Have you read the text messages? He basically confessed to the whole thing. Do you think people would have come out and supported him like they did on the Go Fund Me if he was "Joe Blow" an Ag Econ major from Richmond, Indiana? Come on. Athletes are public figures and held to a higher standard.

Reactions: James J Chitwood
Probably an unpopular thought in today’s age, but how come no one is feeling sorry for Isaac? I mean, some girl gave him herpes at some point and didn’t warn him she had it.

I also can’t help but wonder if this girl was attempting to become a pro athlete baby mama. That can be a lucrative gig. Why else would you engage in that risky behavior?

I can't say I feel sorry for either of them.

I certainly don't expect college students to practice 100% abstinence, but my goodness, they're aware of the risks of unprotected intercourse.

They both rolled the dice and lost. Now they'll both pay the price for their natural lives.

It's the culture in which we live.

I can't say I feel sorry for either of them.

I certainly don't expect college students to practice 100% abstinence, but my goodness, they're aware of the risks of unprotected intercourse.

They both rolled the dice and lost. Now they'll both pay the price for their natural lives.

It's the culture in which we live.
Not to mention that if Issac is indeed guilty of doing this, perhaps getting the notice out will prevent it from happening again.

Reactions: BoilerGrad2001
Here is my worthless opinion. Isaac, if he has Herpes, didn't decide one day to go inject himself with the virus so he contracted it from someone. I always warned young people you not only sleep with that person, but also every person that individual has slept with. The problem the young lady has is unless she was a virgin, it would be difficult to prove who actually infected her since she obviously has unprotected sex with her partners.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I've heard from multiple Purdue students I work with that everyone on campus knows someone that Haas has slept with. That's obviously an exaggeration, but you get the point. As a result, while sad, this story isn't that surprising to me.
If this is true and he carries the herpes virus, that means there are a lot of women who are possibly in the same situation as this young lady. Not a good situation for all parties involved. If there are more , I am sure they will contact the firm in Indianapolis.

If this is true and he carries the herpes virus, that means there are a lot of women who are possibly in the same situation as this young lady. Not a good situation for all parties involved. If there are more , I am sure they will contact the firm in Indianapolis.
People have to remember that someone gave it to him.

Guilty as charged. This is not even remotely my practice area so it is more my gut feeling from having read a lot of legal pleadings, but based solely on what is stated in the complaint as currently drafted, my opinion is it is not a very strong case.

There is probably enough to survive summary judgment (i.e. a determination by the court that there is a disputed issue of material fact on which relief can be granted) if the pleading is cleaned up with respect to Isaac, but that just means the case can proceed to trial. I think it will be very hard to show that it is more likely than not Isaac caused it. Nobody shows all his/her cards in an initial pleading, so they may have more persuasive evidence, but if the texts and a statement she abstained from relations with others before becoming symptomatic are all they have, it is not a very strong case.

With respect to Purdue, I would be surprised if the claim survives to trial. The complaint asserts tort liability with respect to Purdue. In order to state a tort claim, they have to show Purdue owed the plaintiff a duty of care. As I said not my area of expertise, but I would be shocked if there is case law holding that a medical clinic owes a duty of care to a third party who may in the future have intimate relations with a patient of such facility. If doctors' had such a duty, they would have to post public notices saying John Doe/Jane Doe has disease x which is contagious in a manner reasonably calculated to provide notice to avoid liability.
I would respectfully disagree. Assuming she is positive for h. virus and he is positive seems to be a who do you believe. I also suspect pretrial discovery to be able to narrow potential time of infection considerably.
As to 3rd party liability, I wouldn't mind arguing that there is a duty to 3rd parties to refrain from negligently indicating to a patient being treated for an STD that they are "clean" or alternatively misdiagnosing herpes since, given the sexual transmission basis, you should reasonably expect the patient will engage in sex with a person and that your negligence will lead to adverse consequences for the 3rd Party participant.

I would respectfully disagree. Assuming she is positive for h. virus and he is positive seems to be a who do you believe. I also suspect pretrial discovery to be able to narrow potential time of infection considerably.
As to 3rd party liability, I wouldn't mind arguing that there is a duty to 3rd parties to refrain from negligently indicating to a patient being treated for an STD that they are "clean" or alternatively misdiagnosing herpes since, given the sexual transmission basis, you should reasonably expect the patient will engage in sex with a person and that your negligence will lead to adverse consequences for the 3rd Party participant.
The problem is her entire sexual history will be fair game in a civil proceeding. Since the virus can remain dormant for a long period, as can many other std's, there is way more information we do not know. Like how often was she tested for example. At this point blaming Isaac is not really wrong but it does beg the question if I was his attorney, who infected whom?

Guilty as charged. This is not even remotely my practice area so it is more my gut feeling from having read a lot of legal pleadings, but based solely on what is stated in the complaint as currently drafted, my opinion is it is not a very strong case.

There is probably enough to survive summary judgment (i.e. a determination by the court that there is a disputed issue of material fact on which relief can be granted) if the pleading is cleaned up with respect to Isaac, but that just means the case can proceed to trial. I think it will be very hard to show that it is more likely than not Isaac caused it. Nobody shows all his/her cards in an initial pleading, so they may have more persuasive evidence, but if the texts and a statement she abstained from relations with others before becoming symptomatic are all they have, it is not a very strong case.

With respect to Purdue, I would be surprised if the claim survives to trial. The complaint asserts tort liability with respect to Purdue. In order to state a tort claim, they have to show Purdue owed the plaintiff a duty of care. As I said not my area of expertise, but I would be shocked if there is case law holding that a medical clinic owes a duty of care to a third party who may in the future have intimate relations with a patient of such facility. If doctors' had such a duty, they would have to post public notices saying John Doe/Jane Doe has disease x which is contagious in a manner reasonably calculated to provide notice to avoid liability.
Thanks for your input, very helpful.

The problem is her entire sexual history will be fair game in a civil proceeding. Since the virus can remain dormant for a long period, as can many other std's, there is way more information we do not know. Like how often was she tested for example. At this point blaming Isaac is not really wrong but it does beg the question if I was his attorney, who infected whom?

Also, the notion is that he knowingly gave it to her. As in "I don't care, I'm still gonna do it anyways." The initial texts between the two don't really come across as him being flippant about it (and she also didn't seem angry with him).

If she wasn't tested often, it will be hard to prove it was him (if he indeed is positive - herpes and chlamydia are not the same thing and they're both being thrown out there it seems interchangeably). Herpes can stay dormant for quite some time. It's not like you get it and a week later you definitely show symptoms. This is why so many Americans do have it.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is the timing. This could have been done in the fall - it's obviously being filed now for a reason.

Idiotic and intentional are not the same thing, though.

That's probably accurate.

If reports are to be believed, his actions appear to be intentional.

From her standpoint, peeling your clothes and allowing another man to invade your body, not knowing what diseases might be harboring there, that's just idiotic.

No matter what modern culture says.

You can give herpes anytime, not just when sores appear. Let's stop trying to defend Haas' idiotic actions and just call them what they were. Idiotic.
"Isaac, you gave me herpes! I thought you had Chlamydia and it cleared up..."

tenor.gif

Idiotic and intentional are not the same thing, though.
Intentional isn't even in the equation. I'm positive he didn't have the intent to transfer his disease. However, if he knew about it (based on the texts he did), then he's a scrumbag and should be punished. This incident could literally ruin this girl's life. Who is going to date/marry someone with herpes?

That's probably accurate.

If reports are to be believed, his actions appear to be intentional.

From her standpoint, peeling your clothes and allowing another man to invade your body, not knowing what diseases might be harboring there, that's just idiotic.

No matter what modern culture says.

There's still some questions. The claim says Purdue got treatment for him "off the books" so it wouldn't be found out that he had it - like medical records are public? And also, do we think Purdue/PUSH was giving him medication with no trace of a prescription so he could go around having sex with girls that he didn't have to tell? I don't think any responsible doctor would do that.

Intentional isn't even in the equation. I'm positive he didn't have the intent to transfer his disease. However, if he knew about it (based on the texts he did), then he's a scrumbag and should be punished. This incident could literally ruin this girl's life. Who is going to date/marry someone with herpes?

The texts are a mixed bag - and are a limited bag at that (the convos are only shown in short snippets). He does text at the time that PUSH told him he was clean. The girl also didn't seem to be initially upset with him about it.

There's an accusation that Purdue/PUSH "covered up" for him to hide his infection. I'd be surprised if this were the case (medical records are some of the most privately safeguarded things - so not sure why they'd need to do it secretively). However, we've seen other universities and teams do horrible things. If this were the case, I'm sure Purdue would settle quickly and maybe she's hoping by trying to introduce this angle they will regardless. I don't think either side really would want this to go further.

The texts are a mixed bag - and are a limited bag at that (the convos are only shown in short snippets). He does text at the time that PUSH told him he was clean. The girl also didn't seem to be initially upset with him about it.

There's an accusation that Purdue/PUSH "covered up" for him to hide his infection. I'd be surprised if this were the case (medical records are some of the most privately safeguarded things - so not sure why they'd need to do it secretively). However, we've seen other universities and teams do horrible things. If this were the case, I'm sure Purdue would settle quickly and maybe she's hoping by trying to introduce this angle they will regardless. I don't think either side really would want this to go further.

My bet: we're never going to hear the end of this. This will be settled and will just go away.

The lesson(s) won't, for those intent on learning through the failures of others . . .

My bet: we're never going to hear the end of this. This will be settled and will just go away.

The lesson(s) won't, for those intent on learning through the failures of others . . .

Which is why Purdue was included in the same suit. Isaac has no money right now - even his future earnings are certainly not guaranteed, he's not even in mock drafts that I've seen. Accusing Purdue of wrongdoing brings in a big legal team who can just pay to make it go away - which could be cheaper than them going to trial or getting into a public dispute about university practices (whether right or wrong).

Reactions: Purdue85
Have you read the text messages? He basically confessed to the whole thing. Do you think people would have come out and supported him like they did on the Go Fund Me if he was "Joe Blow" an Ag Econ major from Richmond, Indiana? Come on. Athletes are public figures and held to a higher standard.

You got a confession out of that mess?

Seems cherry picked to look bad to me for sake of a lawsuit that’s prolly getting thrown out anyways.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Again. He never once said he had herpes. That’s critical here because if he doesn’t, this girl has no case. And if he does, her case is still shaky. But the court of public opinion will prevail on Isaac.

Young and making mistakes. Not good.

Pro tip: never admit to anything; double never over text message/email. Take all reasonable medical and legal measures to address the situation at hand for self and others, but never, NEVER cop to anything unless so ordered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT