ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Haas accused about lying about STDs...

Just goes to show, none of us know what all really goes on with these kids... Which is why there shouldn't be stones thrown at other schools kids so quickly. Haas should be thankful this didn't come out during the season.

That's an interesting take, and I don't disagree.

But, it's especially noteworthy when we see so many people on this forum throwing stones at coaches and administrators (and, at times, players), when they would never hold themselves to the same level of success.

I do not disagree it would have gotten attention; however, I think from a tactical perspective using it now when it is likely to have the greatest impact on Isaac's professional prospects because it is top of mind for the relevant decisions makers is more coercive from counsel's perspective. Plus, if you dropped the complaint during the season, the NCAA's rules would have made getting cash to pay her off difficult. Whereas, Isaac is now free to take cash from any source he pleases to fund a settlement (not a judgment of liability on Isaac's part in any manner; merely a recognition of the value of an NDA).
You appear to be a lawyer. Does this case have any chance of seeing a trial? I suspect it is either dismissed or settled for a much smaller number than she’s asking.

You likely noticed, but she appears to be going at this pro se (I’m also unfamiliar with Indiana pleadings standards). That thing is filled with legalese, though, so tough to imagine a lawyer didn’t ghost write it.

Still, I wonder if that’s why it’s lacking and might need to be amended, at least in my state. If she truly is pro se and sent the required notice letters to file during this time, like you’ve described above, she’s pretty damn sharp.

(Tech fan — lurked before our S16 game, came back for scoop on Haas)

Little did everyone opening this thread know that they were going to get treated to two attorneys talking about Indiana's rules of civil procedure.

She does actually have counsel. Right after her attestation page, there is an attorney declaration on page 7 of the complaint that is posted on Purdue's student newspaper's website (https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e8-a002-a7dcd06ccda8/5ace640439852.pdf.pdf) and Indiana's version of Pacer shows she is represented by counsel.

Even recognizing the pleading standards in state courts are often much more lax than federal courts, I agree the pleading is not exemplary. The fact that the two individual defendants have colorable claims that they are not residents of Indiana for jurisdiction purposes and could possibly seek to remove to federal court should have led to this being drafted with an expectation that this could become a federal filing. This feels like a rushed filing to try and preserve a claim and keep it from being time barred, but it does not appear there is any relevant SoL period that is about to run.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
I am not attorney, but how can she prove beyond doubt that she was infected by Haas? There is no DNA evidence in this situation that I am aware of. I don't know if the texts messages really prove Haas was the culprit. It would seem that all it would take would be one guy to step forward and say he was a partner of hers around the same time frame and that throws everything in to doubt. I am not trying to excuse IH, but if she hooked up with him, she possibly has hooked up other times as well.

Everyone on here "innocent until proven guilty". But are quick to jump on another school's player before due process has happened. Come on. Is it that shocking that he could have herps? He's a star athlete st a major college, I bet he gets alot of chances with girls that we never had at that age. One was dirty, and he got it. But he's to embarrassed to go around telling all the girls he's sleeping with that he has herpes. I bet 90% of you all keep it hush hush if you had bumps where you shouldn't.
I think there is a big difference between criminal rape and a civil suit between two consenting adults. In the latter case, there is no "guilty" or "innocent" involved.

I was being sarcastic you rube.

Nobody cares about your penis's activity (or lack thereof).

I care as well. To lie about this to a woman is on par with rape. Dependent on the type of desease, and if she also contracted it, she may never be able to conceive a child. And to many adults, that's a very important part of life and growing up.

Last edited:
I am not attorney, but how can she prove beyond doubt that she was infected by Haas? There is no DNA evidence in this situation that I am aware of. I don't know if the texts messages really prove Haas was the culprit. It would seem that all it would take would be one guy to step forward and say he was a partner of hers around the same time frame and that throws everything in to doubt. I am not trying to excuse IH, but if she hooked up with him, she possibly has hooked up other times as well.

It is a civil case so it is just the preponderance of the evidence (i.e. more likely than not) but even at that lower standard of proof, I agree it would be very hard to prove liability. Unless she has something more than the texts that are in the complaint, I think it is going to be very hard to prove liability.

Everyone on here "innocent until proven guilty". But are quick to jump on another school's player before due process has happened. Come on. Is it that shocking that he could have herps? He's a star athlete st a major college, I bet he gets alot of chances with girls that we never had at that age. One was dirty, and he got it. But he's to embarrassed to go around telling all the girls he's sleeping with that he has herpes. I bet 90% of you all keep it hush hush if you had bumps where you shouldn't.
Purdue isn't a college with kids, it's where angels get their wong's, errr wings!

You appear to be a lawyer. Does this case have any chance of seeing a trial? I suspect it is either dismissed or settled for a much smaller number than she’s asking.

Guilty as charged. This is not even remotely my practice area so it is more my gut feeling from having read a lot of legal pleadings, but based solely on what is stated in the complaint as currently drafted, my opinion is it is not a very strong case.

There is probably enough to survive summary judgment (i.e. a determination by the court that there is a disputed issue of material fact on which relief can be granted) if the pleading is cleaned up with respect to Isaac, but that just means the case can proceed to trial. I think it will be very hard to show that it is more likely than not Isaac caused it. Nobody shows all his/her cards in an initial pleading, so they may have more persuasive evidence, but if the texts and a statement she abstained from relations with others before becoming symptomatic are all they have, it is not a very strong case.

With respect to Purdue, I would be surprised if the claim survives to trial. The complaint asserts tort liability with respect to Purdue. In order to state a tort claim, they have to show Purdue owed the plaintiff a duty of care. As I said not my area of expertise, but I would be shocked if there is case law holding that a medical clinic owes a duty of care to a third party who may in the future have intimate relations with a patient of such facility. If doctors' had such a duty, they would have to post public notices saying John Doe/Jane Doe has disease x which is contagious in a manner reasonably calculated to provide notice to avoid liability.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged. This is not even remotely my practice area so it is more my gut feeling from having read a lot of legal pleadings, but based solely on what is stated in the complaint as currently drafted, my opinion is it is not a very strong case.

There is probably enough to survive summary judgment (i.e. a determination by the court that there is a disputed issue of material fact on which relief can be granted if the pleading is cleaned up) with respect to Isaac, but that just means the case can proceed to trial. I think it will be very hard to show that it is more likely than not Isaac caused it. Nobody shows all his/her cards in an initial pleading, so they may have more persuasive evidence, but if the texts and a statement she abstained from relations with others before becoming symptomatic are all they have, it is not a very strong case.

With respect to Purdue, I would be surprised if the claim survives to trial. The complaint asserts tort liability with respect to Purdue. In order to state a tort claim, they have to show Purdue owed the plaintiff a duty of responsibility. As I said not my area of expertise, but I would be shocked if there is case law holding that a medical clinic owes a duty of care to a third party who may in the future have intimate relations with a patient of such facility. If doctors' had such a duty, they would have to post public notices saying John Doe/Jane Doe has disease x which is contagious in a manner reasonably calculated to provide notice to avoid liability.
Thank you. Good stuff. I appreciate your input.

There is probably enough to survive summary judgment (i.e. a determination by the court that there is a disputed issue of material fact on which relief can be granted) if the pleading is cleaned up with respect to Isaac, but that just means the case can proceed to trial. I think it will be very hard to show that it is more likely than not Isaac caused it. Nobody shows all his/her cards in an initial pleading, so they may have more persuasive evidence, but if the texts and a statement she abstained from relations with others before becoming symptomatic are all they have, it is not a very strong case.

With respect to Purdue, I would be surprised if the claim survives to trial. The complaint asserts tort liability with respect to Purdue. In order to state a tort claim, they have to show Purdue owed the plaintiff a duty of care. As I said not my area of expertise, but I would be shocked if there is case law holding that a medical clinic owes a duty of care to a third party who may in the future have intimate relations with a patient of such facility. If doctors' had such a duty, they would have to post public notices saying John Doe/Jane Doe has disease x which is contagious in a manner reasonably calculated to provide notice to avoid liability.

What exactly is the accusation against Purdue? That Purdue was supposed to announce the results of a STD test? Or their STD test wasn't accurate?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
herpes.jpg

SpinalTap_101Pyxurz.jpg

What exactly is the accusation against Purdue? That Purdue was supposed to announce the results of a STD test? Or their STD test wasn't accurate?

It is not entirely clear to me from the complaint which of the two they are alleging or if the are alleging both; the complaint notes that the notice of claim that was filed with Purdue and attached to the complaint as an exhibit more specifically sets forth the allegations against Purdue, but I have not been able to find a copy of the complaint with the exhibits attached to see what is stated in the notice of claim.

However, in either instance for Purdue to have tort liability on any basis I can think of, the plaintiff would have to show Purdue owed her a duty of care and breached that duty of care which was the proximate cause of her damages. I cannot come up with a non-spurious scenario where such a duty would exist. Like I said not even remotely close to my area of expertise, but I cannot imagine a scenario where a court would find that any duty of care is owed to an unknown third party.

Reactions: RVAboiler
I care as well. To lie about this to a woman is on par with rape. Dependent on the type of desease, and if she also contracted it, she may never be able to conceive a child. And to many adults, that's a very important part of life and growing up.

that's a really good point. And I really, REALLY agree with you.

However, it takes two to tango.

Of course, if she's concerned about that, she shouldn't be falling into bed on a whim, and sleeping with the basketball stud.

There are repercussions, and (again), a reason for keeping it in your pants (or, substitute the female version).

Reactions: crayfish67
Attorney trying to include all in lawsuit. Including Purdue. Haas had sex with her as he thought he was cured. A year has passed. STD can be cured with antibiotics. Yes he was stupid, he is a college kid. Lawyers will cost a pretty penny. Very sad for all included.

Haas thought he was cured of Chlamydia, which he likely was. The question is if he knew he had herpes, which it seems highly likely that he did. Herpes is incurable, and is what the girl alleges to have caught from Haas.

It sounds like he is trying to blame PUSH for saying he was "clean" after the bout of chlamydia, which is likely what the test legitimately showed. Herpes can't be tested for unless there are visible, open sores. It can be transmitted, however, even when there aren't any sores. I would guess that he figured if he didn't have a visible outbreak occurring, he wouldn't infect someone and therefore didn't need to tell them.

If
this stuff is all true, or even mostly true, it makes him look like a scumbag to be honest.

Haas thought he was cured of Chlamydia, which he likely was. The question is if he knew he had herpes, which it seems highly likely that he did. Herpes is incurable, and is what the girl alleges to have caught from Haas.

It sounds like he is trying to blame PUSH for saying he was "clean" after the bout of chlamydia, which is likely what the test legitimately showed. Herpes can't be tested for unless there are visible, open sores. It can be transmitted, however, even when there aren't any sores. I would guess that he figured if he didn't have a visible outbreak occurring, he wouldn't infect someone and therefore didn't need to tell them.

If
this stuff is all true, or even mostly true, it makes him look like a scumbag to be honest.

As your italics represent, there's a lot of ifs in that scenario. I think naming Purdue and the other woman makes her case seem less credible than if she just sued him.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd use "angel" to describe most college athletes (and not just athletes in the era of Tinder, Bumble, etc.). Not that it makes it ok because it doesn't - but if we had a play by play of how many/most interact with women, don't think there'd be much to be proud of.

With Isaac no longer a player, I hope Purdue basketball acted appropriately through this process and it doesn't seem to be a part of the complaint, so it seems they did.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
that's a really good point. And I really, REALLY agree with you.

However, it takes two to tango.

Of course, if she's concerned about that, she shouldn't be falling into bed on a whim, and sleeping with the basketball stud.

There are repercussions, and (again), a reason for keeping it in your pants (or, substitute the female version).

While somewhat yes, if anyone (man or woman) asks their partner if they are clean and they lie about it, that doesn't put them on equal levels of "two to tango". I guess you can demand to see results, but in the end, you should use protection - which even that wouldn't necessarily prevent herpes. You can have herpes and not know about it for a while - so I was taught in health class...

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
As your italics represent, there's a lot of ifs in that scenario. I think naming Purdue and the other woman makes her case seem less credible than if she just sued him.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd use "angel" to describe most college athletes (and not just athletes in the era of Tinder, Bumble, etc.). Not that it makes it ok because it doesn't - but if we had a play by play of how many/most interact with women, don't think there'd be much to be proud of.

With Isaac no longer a player, I hope Purdue basketball acted appropriately through this process and it doesn't seem to be a part of the complaint, so it seems they did.
Probably an unpopular thought in today’s age, but how come no one is feeling sorry for Isaac? I mean, some girl gave him herpes at some point and didn’t warn him she had it.

I also can’t help but wonder if this girl was attempting to become a pro athlete baby mama. That can be a lucrative gig. Why else would you engage in that risky behavior?

Reactions: pboiler18
Probably an unpopular thought in today’s age, but how come no one is feeling sorry for Isaac? I mean, some girl gave him herpes at some point and didn’t warn him she had it.

I also can’t help but wonder if this girl was attempting to become a pro athlete baby mama. That can be a lucrative gig. Why else would you engage in that risky behavior?
16adc5373263d31ef973e937f9be9359--bad-humor-med-student.jpg

Why do people rush to give the guy who could almost dunk 50% of the time the benefit of the doubt and try to smear the girl in all of these cases? I'm not a liberal at all, but Goddamn Purdue has got to be the most sexist fanbase in the country if you believe this message board is representative.

She should really have looked at a scouting report and gone for Carson Edwards if that was the master plan.

That’s a really good point. He should sue the girl that gave it to him.

Only partially tic.

Reactions: Purdue11
This lawsuit is a joke - her only hope was to get to paid to keep this quiet but that is over now that this article has appeared. If every person who got herpes sued the person with whom they had consensual sex the courts would be overwhelmed. Look at the statistics on herpes: 1 out of 6 people ages 14 to 49 have genital herpes, 50 to 80% of people 50 and under have oral herpes and 90% of adults will be exposed to oral herpes by age 50. [Oral herpes can be a source of genital herpes.] Also, she is as much responsible for not using protection as Isaac - did she ask him to use a condom? Where is her proof that she got herpes from this sexual encounter? Do people lie to persuade someone to have sex? OMG yes. A decent attorney will rip her testimony [and alas, her reputation] to shreds. I have sympathy for both the young woman and for Isaac but the facts are that she did not have to "hook up" for a one night stand. One could even make a case that there was malice involved on her part.

Why do people rush to give the guy who could almost dunk 50% of the time the benefit of the doubt and try to smear the girl in all of these cases? I'm not a liberal at all, but Goddamn Purdue has got to be the most sexist fanbase in the country if you believe this message board is representative.

First off, I think this is a very different situation because it is a civil case. A civil case is much different than a criminal case involving rape, sexual assault, etc. which you are drawing a comparison to.

Secondly, there's actually several people that have posted that this is embarrassing, he should be more responsible, etc.

As I've stated, I think the actual timing of this lawsuit (once Isaac is no longer a student-athlete governed with NCAA rules) is a bit interesting - and even more so that the suit involves another woman and Purdue University (which appears to be regarding PUSH - but not really clear what is being accused). I think this really muddies the accusations by doing so.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
This lawsuit is a joke - her only hope was to get to paid to keep this quiet but that is over now that this article has appeared. If every person who got herpes sued the person with whom they had consensual sex the courts would be overwhelmed. Look at the statistics on herpes: 1 out of 6 people ages 14 to 49 have genital herpes, 50 to 80% of people 50 and under have oral herpes and 90% of adults will be exposed to oral herpes by age 50. [Oral herpes can be a source of genital herpes.] Also, she is as much responsible for not using protection as Isaac - did she ask him to use a condom? Where is her proof that she got herpes from this sexual encounter? Do people lie to persuade someone to have sex? OMG yes. A decent attorney will rip her testimony [and alas, her reputation] to shreds. I have sympathy for both the young woman and for Isaac but the facts are that she did not have to "hook up" for a one night stand. One could even make a case that there was malice involved on her part.
Why is she suing and the other young lady is not. If she is unable to have children, I can see why she is upset. Like you say, it is a 2 way street and she should have been responsible. By the lawsuit, all the blame is on Haas. If he was a normal student, doubt this lawsuit would happen. All about his future earnings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT