ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

Why can’t we stick to the thread titles. Always seem to venture into meaningless dribble , would be nice to click onto the thread and actually have that the topic

You guys cannot stick to thread topics for a very simple reason if you ask me:

There are not moderators that remind people to stay on topic, hide off-topic posts, warn posters that break forum rules in private messages (instead of other posters calling them out on the open board), and ban posters that don't heed repeated warnings.

Instead, the personal arguments take over threads, or cause people to post drink recipes to distract from the in-fighting.

Ironically, this post by me is also off-topic, but the thread is already trashed.

I hope it is helpful to summarize the one, defined thing that would likely be productive to generate real, lasting improvement.

Last edited:
You guys cannot stick to thread topics for a very simple reason if you ask me:

There are not moderators that remind people to stay on topic, hide off-topic posts, warn posters that break forum rules in private messages (instead of other posters calling them out on the open board), and ban posters that don't heed repeated warnings.

Instead, the personal arguments take over threads, or cause people to post drink recipes to distract from the in-fighting.

Ironically, this post by me is also off-topic, but the thread is already trashed.

I hope it is helpful to summarize the one, defined thing that would likely be productive to generate real, lasting improvement.
Couldn't agree more with this. It usually turns into a pissing match. What a shocker on an online forum. A few people on here need a reality check and that would make this thing run a lot smoother. It does seems like admins/mods have taken the season off.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with this. It usually turns into a pissing match. What a shocker on an online forum. A few people on here need a reality check and that would make this thing run a lot smoother. It does seems like admins/mods have take then season off.
So, I'm an IU fan and I'm not going to be a moderator!

But, I can tell you that when I start to post about basketball and soon thereafter I am invariably hit with "Loosier", "Indinia", or a discussion of whether I'm really some rivals free board troll from IU -- and no mods put a stop to it? That sucks. Not because I am triggered or take it personally, but because it is a miserable waste of time and effort.

I see hope because there are enough sane posters around, but if it doesn't get fixed they will leave or rarely post, and it will continue to slide into awfulness. In summary, without engaged mods it will never get better IMO.

But, I can tell you that when I start to post about basketball and soon thereafter I am invariably hit with "Loosier", "Indinia", or a discussion of whether I'm really some rivals free board troll from IU -- and no mods put a stop to it? That sucks. Not because I am triggered or take it personally, but because it is a miserable waste of time and effort.

I see hope because there are enough sane posters around, but if it doesn't get fixed they will leave or rarely post, and it will continue to slide into awfulness. In summary, without engaged mods it will never get better IMO.
go way loser!

I know it's difficult to post on a rivals' board. I post every once in a while on the IU free board. Yes, there are always guys who jump on me, but I just ignore them. I always post relavent to the OP of the thread, and I don't provoke. I keep my post to a discussion of IU basketball and avoid defending or posting about Purdue.

Good luck getting any moderator to ever side with you over any Purdue fans.

Is Nijel Pack the only guy left that Purdue is still targeting?
I haven’t heard otherwise. It would make sense, especially if you feel good about your chances, to only have the one guy in mind. We seem to a ton of really good players in the ‘22 and ‘23 classes. I’m sure Painter is really concerned about keeping the good vibes we have going with all them while balancing the win now concept.

Bringing 2 guys in might be ok, but we probably don’t want the 2nd guy to have 2 years. We have our sites on a really good PF prospect in Indy. Lots of different possibilities.

Also, Painter is very much into personality type. He likes hard workers and guys that won’t be a cancer. Transfers can sometimes be wild cards bc the recruiting process is short. Anyway.. I would think a 2nd guy might be EHJ. Probably nobody else Painter would be willing to take.

Obviously I don't know what Painter is thinking but his actions would indicate to me that while he values Moton's contributions, he doesn't consider Morton a point guard
  • First of all, I can't recall Morton being on the court without either Hunter or IT on the court at any point over the last two years. At one point Purdue was really struggling at the position and Painter didn't give Morton the opportunity to be the primary ball handler for even one possession. Its not that he didn't like Morton. . At different points of the year he was the primary backup for Gillis, Ivey or Sasha.
  • If Morton is the answer at the point why is Purdue's focusing on getting a point guard in the transfer portal. Morton is a Jr. If Painter thought he was the answer at the point we would be fine at the position, Purdue's starting point guards typically play 30+ minutes per game and if Smith is as good as posters believe, he could fill in the minutes to give Morton a break, My understanding that Pack wants to play the point. I don't think he would be even considering Purdue if Painter was telling him that he would be competing for minutes with Morton.
Morton will play. I just believe Painter would rather not play him at the point.

Does the portal have any time-lines/deadlines for players and schools to make decisions? Pack has a lot of interest from other schools it seems but I think we have a good shot at him.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Does the portal have any time-lines/deadlines for players and schools to make decisions? Pack has a lot of interest from other schools it seems but I think we have a good shot at him.
I believe May 1 is the deadline.

I think that makes them eligible for the 22-23 season. If they miss that deadline, they have to sit.

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for.

A lesson, I learned a long time ago. Eventually it'll catch up to you. I could lift with the best, felt I could scrap with the best of the them. I'll never forget Anton Talamantes is younger than me and asking me to workout with him. Me at 7-8% bmi at the time, I thought I could stay with him. In reality, I was puking within 40 minutes.

Bottom line is.... someone will always catch you and you will lose. I still have to realize that sometimes. God bless my beautiful wife for this reality check.
Yep, if you're basing your superiority on brawn vs brain, you'll be in for a rude awakening when you get older.

Couldn't agree more with this. It usually turns into a pissing match. What a shocker on an online forum. A few people on here need a reality check and that would make this thing run a lot smoother. It does seems like admins/mods have taken the season off.
realistically, there is no mod for this forum. JohnnyDoe is the mod, but it is a volunteer position and he is incredibly busy with life. ... It's a free forum, so be it ...

Yep, if you're basing your superiority on brawn vs brain, you'll be in for a rude awakening when you get older.
Like I have said before. Usually those people are miserable in their everyday life. There are some outliers of course. Few and far between though. It will hit them one day when they get older and realize how stupid it was to live that way.

Like I have said before. Usually those people are miserable in their everyday life. There are some outliers of course. Few and far between though. It will hit them one day when they get older and realize how stupid it was to live that way.
100. You can be anyone on social media. You can say anything on social media. Things that before would have gotten your lights turned out. That's why some folks want to act like they'd really meet somewhere. They won't. We're so uncivilized now....I mean...look at this board. It's currently a flaming cesspool. And we're "allegedly" fans/alums of the same school? That's not the priority anymore.

Kendric Davis ! I am hearing it's now Pack and or Davis with Eric Hunter if needed .
What information do you have that suggests Davis is actually considering PU? I have seen one twitter post that listed about 25 big time programs that had shown interest. But I haven't seen anything from him or anyone suggesting PU was being considered seriously by him.

Now if you mean PU would like to have Davis and or Pack, that is a no brainer. So would 100 other schools.

Along with every other elite program (regarding Davis). Would be a huge win for Painter to get him, but I'd be surprised if that happened when looking at the schools going after him.
What does this mean IMO we are as good as it gets how many of your elite programs are offering the spot last played by a lottery pick? I have no clue what Davis is looking for but Purdue offers the prospect of a huge paycheck. Purdue is not your fathers good old solid team built on defense only. The kind of talent Purdue is seeking in the portal is elite. They are not looking to fit in they are looking to get paid! The fact that you have to double team Zach= open shots which = $. IMO it's that simple the NIL taints my position somewhat but a $ 100.000 doesn't compare to lottery money. If a $ 100,000 grand is what your after then this position isn't for you. I like our chances with Pack and Davis. Although IMO Hunter should be the # 1 option because I love defense and see no reason to risk it when we have a sure thing. Neither of them lead their teams any where and Eric took his team to a #1 ranking and a sweet sixteen! Yes I prefer we miss on both if that means Eric comes back.

What does this mean IMO we are as good as it gets how many of your elite programs are offering the spot last played by a lottery pick? I have no clue what Davis is looking for but Purdue offers the prospect of a huge paycheck. Purdue is not your fathers good old solid team built on defense only. The kind of talent Purdue is seeking in the portal is elite. They are not looking to fit in they are looking to get paid! The fact that you have to double team Zach= open shots which = $. IMO it's that simple the NIL taints my position somewhat but a $ 100.000 doesn't compare to lottery money. If a $ 100,000 grand is what your after then this position isn't for you. I like our chances with Pack and Davis. Although IMO Hunter should be the # 1 option because I love defense and see no reason to risk it when we have a sure thing. Neither of them lead their teams any where and Eric took his team to a #1 ranking and a sweet sixteen! Yes I prefer we miss on both if that means Eric comes back.
I agree.....I prefer Eric Hunter Jr. to any transfer. I love his game and I also love the fun he seems to have on the court. I'd be cool with him and Pack and/or Davis though. They both seem like they would be quality additions.

I agree.....I prefer Eric Hunter Jr. to any transfer. I love his game and I also love the fun he seems to have on the court. I'd be cool with him and Pack and/or Davis though. They both seem like they would be quality additions.
I don't think there is anyone that does not like Hunter or his game, but, it is limited...and, in part why Purdue needs help at that position specifically, and, definitely in the backcourt.

If Hunter returns and Purdue does not add somebody, they will continue to have a problem.

First, Hunter is not a PG...second, he is not a scorer...Purdue needs both in its backcourt.

What information do you have that suggests Davis is actually considering PU? I have seen one twitter post that listed about 25 big time programs that had shown interest. But I haven't seen anything from him or anyone suggesting PU was being considered seriously by him.

Now if you mean PU would like to have Davis and or Pack, that is a no brainer. So would 100 other schools.
He has none. A very passionate fan, but does not have any inside info like he presents to have.

Old boiler 52 is very in tune with high school athletes. I value his opinions, insight, and the comments he provides here. he doesn't rag on or dis other posters like many of the rest of you do. many of the posters here who brag about knowing everything, don't really know anything more than i do. I have to believe painter and/or his staff have contacted many prospective players. A look at past transfers would indicate Painter also considers a player's academic accomplishments as part of the recruiting process. he doesn't go after the best athlete unless they can also compete academically at Purdue. When was the last time one of painter's players flunked out? part of the problem recruiting players in the portal is that every day 2-10 more players declare their desire to transfer.

Old boiler 52 is very in tune with high school athletes. I value his opinions, insight, and the comments he provides here. he doesn't rag on or dis other posters like many of the rest of you do. many of the posters here who brag about knowing everything, don't really know anything more than i do. I have to believe painter and/or his staff have contacted many prospective players. A look at past transfers would indicate Painter also considers a player's academic accomplishments as part of the recruiting process. he doesn't go after the best athlete unless they can also compete academically at Purdue. When was the last time one of painter's players flunked out? part of the problem recruiting players in the portal is that every day 2-10 more players declare their desire to transfer.

Don't you think players not flunking out is more of a function of the program and not the academic rigors of a school? How often do players flunk out of Duke, UNC, Stanford, or Michigan? These guys are set up academically to stay eligible and play basketball (yes, at Purdue as well).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT