ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread 11/10/21 - at Western Kentucky

WKU loses ball on the drive.
Moore travels on an open drive to the basket.
WKU missed 3. Terry rebound and Purdue misses transition layup which leads to WKU transition layup. 53-43.
Terry drives and throws ball out of bounds. 57.2 seconds left in 3rd.
WKU layup. 53-45
Purdue misses jumper but Moore gets rebound and puts it in. 55-45.
WKU misses 3. Purdue ball with 15 seconds left.
Moore misses driving shot and Purdue misses a few putbacks to end qtr.
55-45 after 3.

WKU misses 3 to open 4th but Purdue turns it over.
WKU misses another shot and Smith gets a transition layup. 57-45.
WKU draws shooting foul and driving layup. Kyle foul. WKU player coming up lame. Woltman coming in for Kyle.
WKU hits 1 of 2 fts. 57-46
Oriyomi gets an and-1 on what could've been a charge. 60-46.
WKU misses but Smith loses ball for turnover.
WKU misses again.
Foul on WKU. Inbound pass to Woltman for 2. 62-46
WKU gets ball into post. blocked by woltman but wku gets ball back and puts it in. 62-46
Woltman gets ball inside but gets blocked.
wku misses 3.
Smith misses open 3.
wku misses 3. woltman rebound.
purdue finds hardin on a backdoor layup and she gets hammered and will shoot 2. Misses first. Makes 2nd. 63-48. 6:30 left.

Reactions: Russ Ford
WKU airballs a 3. out of bounds to Purdue.

Oriyomi misses drive and woltman rebounds but is blocked out of bounds.
inbounds pass to woltman for layup. 65-48
wku layup 65-50
offensive foul on layden. her 4th. 5 minutes to play
wku misses drive but gets rebound and putback. 65-52
offensive foul on woltman screen.

Terry looks like she maybe banged her knee trying to get through a screen. Walking off gingerly but appears to be improving as she gets to the sideline.

Smith get an open layup in the halfcourt. 67-55
wku misses layup. purdue rebound but woltman loses ball out of bounds.
wku turnover.
layden misses 3 in transition. purdue board.
hardin for 3. 70-55. 3:00 left

Nice win, don’t care how good Western Kentucky is, a road win is a nice way to start Katie’s career and season. I’ve said it a few times, this team is going to win some games, hoping for 15, probably will be a few less. Nice to see Woltman have a good game, time for her to show something, on to the next one.

I'm telling you Jayla Smith is going to have a wonderful career at Purdue. She and Madison are by far the best players on the team. And Oriyami will get better and better, I like her too. Way too many turnovers and the Big Ten is loaded so conference games will be a bear. I'm so happy for Katie tonight, how sweet to get the first of hundreds of wins hopefully for Katie Gearlds. Great win and the game was entertaining.

I'm telling you Jayla Smith is going to have a wonderful career at Purdue. She and Madison are by far the best players on the team. And Oriyami will get better and better, I like her too. Way too many turnovers and the Big Ten is loaded so conference games will be a bear. I'm so happy for Katie tonight, how sweet to get the first of hundreds of wins hopefully for Katie Gearlds. Great win and the game was entertaining.
Man, I’ve agreed with 3 straight posts of yours, maybe more lol. Seriously, these two are the best players, their minutes will hopefully reflect that, I know Madison’s will, hopefully Jayla’s as well. Let’s get win #2 on Sunday!

Reactions: DocRon
Lots to clean up but saw some promise
Nice win, don’t care how good Western Kentucky is, a road win is a nice way to start Katie’s career and season. I’ve said it a few times, this team is going to win some games, hoping for 15, probably will be a few less. Nice to see Woltman have a good game, time for her to show something, on to the next one.
I saw enough talent to possibly get 12-15 wins if they clean up the fouling and cut down on the turnovers.

Early impressions.

Ellis - Good offensively. Particularly scoring. Could do better distributing. I believe the reason she sat much of the fourth quarter was due to defense.

Layden - Most well-rounded player. Ideally she's more of a Pippen than a Jordan but on this team she needs to be Jordan.

Smith - Coming around. I'm going with a Painterism here and saying what he always says for underclassmen. KEEP IT SIMPLE. If she can concentrate on defense, rebounding, and taking care of the ball, points will come to her.

Terry - She had an A/T ratio of about 1 at Illinois last year but looks more prone to the turnover here to date. Another KIS player. Just make the simple play and that will put us in a better place 9 out of 10 times.

Kyle. If we can get her to 20 mpg we probably have a double-double on our hands. Fouling a big problem. Needs to move feet and keep her hands vertical. If I'm CKG, I start her ever quarter and keep her in until the halfway point or she gets her first foul. Then at worst we get to the last few minutes of the game and she only has four fouls.

Moore. She has no problem shooting the ball.

Woltman. Thought she looked pretty good. Quick on her feet and to the ball. Id give her some more time.

Oriyomi. Looked ok. Really don't want her putting the ball on the floor much. Another player where less is more. Do the things you do well and leave it at that.

Hardin. She's a shooter. We will live and die with her shot some nights but with our limited offensive options, I will take her her firing open 3's anytime she has them.

Last edited:
Lots to clean up but saw some promise

I saw enough talent to possibly get 12-15 wins if they clean up the fouling and cut down on the turnovers.

Early impressions.

Ellis - Good offensively. Particularly scoring. Could do better distributing. I believe the reason she sat much of the fourth quarter was due to defense.

Layden - Most well-rounded player. Ideally she's more of a Pippen than a Jordan but on this team she needs to be Jordan.

Smith - Coming around. I'm going with a Painterism here and saying what he always says for underclassmen. KEEP IT SIMPLE. If she can concentrate on defense, rebounding, and taking care of the ball, points will come to her.

Terry - She had an A/T ratio of about 1 at Illinois last year but looks more prone to the turnover here to date. Another KIS player. Just make the simple play and that will put us in a better place 9 out of 10 times.

Kyle. If we can get her to 20 mpg we probably have a double-double on our hands. Fouling a big problem. Needs to move feet and keep her hands vertical. If I'm CKG, I start her ever quarter and keep her in until the halfway point or she gets her first foul. Then at worst we get to the last few minutes of the game and she only has four fouls.

Moore. She has no problem shooting the ball.

Woltman. Thought she looked pretty good. Quick on her feet and to the ball. Id give her some more time.

Oriyomi. Looked ok. Really don't want her putting the ball on the floor much. Another player where less is more. Do the things you do well and leave it at that.

Hardin. She's a shooter. We will live and die with her shot some nights but with our limited offensive options, I will take her her firing open 3's anytime she has them.
Big ifs... they have no post presence and turnovers don't just fix themselves unless you somehow can see the improved ballhandling skillsets throughout this roster that I'm not aware of. I think especially with the style of play that Katie wants to run with the limited talent she has turnovers will always be problematic, and turnover issues have been an ongoing problem for years with this program. It may improve when she starts recruiting more talented ballhandlers and passers, etc. They have 2 players on this roster that could possibly be on any of the top 15 teams in a reserve role at the end of the bench in Madison Layden and Jayla Smith. Other than that the talent is pretty mediocre. But I adore Katie so much and I love seeing her on the sidelines and she will eventually fix this and make this a competetive program again. She needs more Jayla Smiths on this team in a big way. She needs an elite Center and Power foward, and some other more talented pieces either through the portal or via the HS recruiting route. I saw glimpses of very good play last night. Layden can be amazing and if she ever gets injured and is sidelined for any length of time this team is really doomed. The Big Ten is loaded this season and it will be tough to win 5 conference games, anything more than that will be huge. They were fun to watch last night, and that's a big step forward! There's that!

Last edited:
Agree with all these comments and think that we are seeing Katie knowing what she is doing with what she has. And yes, due to the uptempo, tos will be a prob. Has lots of parts and maybe Doumbia when well can help some.
Yes, we need a couple of great bigs to move up. What I want to see also in the BT is if our interior D allows a layup line inside that was always true last year. Don't know if she has the bigs to stop that, but along with the tos was a major problem the last few years. But this team is way more fun to watch. I used to close my eyes for the first 20 secs of the shot clock last year waiting for the "play" to happen. No more of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT