ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread 11/10/21 - at Western Kentucky

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
It gets started (for real) tonight. Looks like game can be watched on ESPN+ which I've never been able to figure out if I can get or not. I have DirecTV but I'm not sure if that gives me access to it or not.

It gets started (for real) tonight. Looks like game can be watched on ESPN+ which I've never been able to figure out if I can get or not. I have DirecTV but I'm not sure if that gives me access to it or not.

Not on Diirect TV. You have to pay extra for a subscription - $9.99/month. You can cancel after one month but I think I will just listen to Tim Newton on the audio stream. It is the only game on ESPN+ this fall.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Not on Diirect TV. You have to pay extra for a subscription - $9.99/month. You can cancel after one month but I think I will just listen to Tim Newton on the audio stream. It is the only game on ESPN+ this fall.

I thought there was a way to log on to ESPN+ for free through your TV provider but there must not be since I've never been able to make it work. I might pony up to watch it. No more than the cost of a ticket I suppose. We'll see.

I thought there was a way to log on to ESPN+ for free through your TV provider but there must not be since I've never been able to make it work. I might pony up to watch it. No more than the cost of a ticket I suppose. We'll see.
You used to be able to watch espn3 for free. But I'm pretty sure Doc is right you have to pay for espn+ now.

Long delay. An offensive foul on Ellis changed into a WKU foul and gives Ellis 2 free throws to put us up 2-0.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Layden knocks down a jumper late in the shot clock. 4-0
Layden misses a 3.
Layden knocks in another jumper. 6-0
WKU changes all 5 players out at a dead ball.
Hardin for 3. 9-0
Kyle draws a shooting foul in the paint. Hits both. 11-0.
Kyle knocks down a WKU player in the paint. She is subbed out for Woltman.
Ellis misses jumper.
Foul on Hardin. Moore in for Ellis.
Foul on Moore. WKU hits 2 free throws. 11-2
Layden throws ball over Woltman on a post entry pass.
WKU drives and draws shooting foul on Layden. Hits 1 of 2 fts. 11-3
Hardin misses an open 3 but WKU dribbles out of bounds in transition.
Purdue throws ball away when trapped by WKU.
WKU turns ball over in halfcourt.
Hardin misses a 3 in transition but Woltman rebounds and is fouled.

We looked pretty good the first few possessions but when WKU went to a 2-2-1 full court press and trapped us in the halfcourt we got sped up and took quick shots or turned the ball over.

Woltman misses first ft. Hits second. 12-3
Moore steals ball but missed ft line jumper which leads to WKU transition 3. 12-6
Layden misses ft line jumper. Woltman gets fouled going after board. Misses first ft again. Hits 2nd. 13-6
WKU misses layup.
Ellis picks up dribble and can't find a teammate to pass to. Calls timeout. 3:41 left in 1st qtr.

Ellis fires a pass to the post but misses Woltman for a turnover.
WKU misses shot.
Ellis knocks down open 3. 16-6
WKU turnover.
Moore misses very quick 3.
WKU misses 3.
Moore misses 15 foot jumper but is fouled. Hits 1 of 2 fts. 17-6. 2:05 left.

WKU hits a 3. 17-9
Ellis with another open 3. 20-9
Smith into the game for Ellis.
WKU misses driving layup.
Layden airballs a transition 3 and WKU gets a transition and-1 opportunity going the other way. Foul on Layden. WKU misses ft but gets offensive board and knocks down a 3. 20-14 on a 5-point WKU possession.
Smith misses driving layup and WKU misses open 3 to close the quarter. 20-14 Purdue at the end of the quarter.

WKU misses a shot to open 2nd quarter but gets the rebound and is fouled. Airballs the 3.
Purdue can't find a good shot and gets an offensive foul on Kyle late in the shot clock.
WKU misses a layup. Smith misses a transition 3 badly.
Woltman steal leading to a Smith layup in transition. 22-14
WKU misses a 3. Ellis gets fouled bringing ball up the court.
Terry travels driving into the lane.
Foul on Terry.
WKU driving layup.
WKU pressing and Purdue breaks it but throws the ball out of bounds instead of finishing with the layup.
WKU travel.
Layden back in the game with 2 fouls.
Layden drills a 3 in a pass out of the post from Terry. 25-16
WKU driving layup. 25-18
Foul on WKU as Purdue works against the press.
Smith misses a 3 but a foul on WKU on the rebound.
Offensive foul on Terry on the inbound.
Timeout. 25-18 Purdue.

I will say I like what Woltman has brought to the game. Rebounding. A steal. Drawing fouls.

WKU shot clock violation. 5:25 left in 2nd qtr
Ellis gets an open look from 3 but misses.
WKU loses ball.
Moore misses a 3. 4-13 from 3
WKU misses a 3. Layden rebound and brings ball up court. Gets called for a charge. She has 3. Could be a problem. 3:59 left in half.
WKU misses 3 badly. Hardin grabs the board and is fouled.
Oriyomi is fouled on a drive and will shoot 2. Hits both. 27-18 with 3:25 left.

WKU with a terrible possession with multiple bad throws at the basket but gets fouled in a scramble and is shooting 2 fts. Hits 1. 27-19.
WKU pressing. Purdue breaks it and gets Hardin an open 3 in transition but she misses.
WKU draws a foul on Woltman and WKU shoots 2. Misses first. Hits 2nd. 27-20.
Purdue again breaks press but throws ball away with a 2-on-1 advantage.
WKU driving layup. 27-22
Purdue throws the ball away against the press. 1:55 left
Ellis back in which is sorely needed.
WKU turnover.
Hardin misses another open 3.
WKU turns the ball over in transition which leads to a Brooke Moore layup +1. Hits ft. 30-22

WKU gets an open layup in the halfcourt. 30-24
Moore loses the ball and then commits a foul. Her 3rd foul. Gony in.
WKU hits a 3. 30-27 with 23.1 seconds left in half.
WKU fouls Ellis on inbounds. Hits 1 of 2 fts but Purdue gets the rebound and gets fouled. Oriyomi shooting 2. Hits both. 33-27 with 21.1 seconds left. Learn in.
Oriyomi with a blocking foul giving WKU 2 fts. Missed first. Hits 2nd. 33-28.
Purdue turnover. WKU gets a layup and an and-1. Hits ft. 33-31 going to halftime.

Seems like a foul fest. Is it the refs calling it too close or are they just hacking each other to death?

To be honest, this was a brutal half of basketball to watch. I think there were 30 fouls called and just tons of turnovers. Layden needs to be on the court as much as possible for us. Either her or Ellis can get the ball up the court. If not them, I don't see anyone else who can right now.

Seems like a foul fest. Is it the refs calling it too close or are they just hacking each other to death?
I think most of the fouls are legitimate. Poor positioning and too much reaching. We need to quit giving them points at the foul line. They are not very good but our mistakes are keeping them in the game.

About 4 times we have broken their press where we had an advantage on a break but just threw the ball away. Not enough players on the court that appear to be comfortable handling the ball, even against no pressure.

To be honest, this was a brutal half of basketball to watch. I think there were 30 fouls called and just tons of turnovers. Layden needs to be on the court as much as possible for us. Either her or Ellis can get the ball up the court. If not them, I don't see anyone else who can right now.
What about Moore or Terry? You would think they should be able to help.

I think most of the fouls are legitimate. Poor positioning and too much reaching. We need to quit giving them points at the foul line. They are not very good but our mistakes are keeping them in the game.

About 4 times we have broken their press where we had an advantage on a break but just threw the ball away. Not enough players on the court that appear to be comfortable handling the ball, even against no pressure.
There are going to be some growing pains. Just keep playing hard and get a win. Ugly or beautiful.....a win is a win and good for their confidence.

What about Moore or Terry? You would think they should be able to help.
Terry had 5 turnovers in 11 minutes. I would keep the ball out of her hands as much as I could. Moore is trigger-happy but I suppose a shot is better than a turnover. I don't think she looks to pass though.

Hardin misses an open 3 to start 2nd half. Purdue gets rebound but Ellis travels.
WKU misses shot and loses rebound out of bounds.
Hardin throws a bad entry pass to Kyle but gets bailed out by foul and Purdue finds Terry open for a layup on the inbounds play. 35-31.
WKU turnover.
Purdue misses jumper.
Ellis gets a blocking foul. Then WKU drives on Ellis for a layup. 35-33.
Purdue gets it inside to Kyle who converts and is fouled. Misses ft but Purdue gets rebound but Layden misses a 3. 37-33
WKU charges. Drawn by Hardin.
Ellis misses from 3. Terry rebound and draws a foul on what probably should've been a charge. But Terry gets the and-1. 40-33.
WKU misses ft line jumper.
Hardin turnover.
WKU misses a couple shots and Purdue knocks rebound out of bounds.
Bad foul by Hardin on post entry pass.
Bad foul by Terry on reach-in. She has 3.
WKU misses layup on inbounds play. Purdue board.
Terrible pass by Terry for turnover.
WKU 3. 40-36
Ellis gets fouled bringing ball into the frontcourt. She'll get fts.

In bonus with 5:21 left in quarter. Ellis hits both. 42-36.
WKU drives on Ellis and gets and-1. 42-38. Misses ft but WKU gets rebound and is fouled by Kyle. Her 3rd.
WKU misses first ft and hits 2nd. 42-39.
Moore forces a bad shot in transition. WKU rebound.
Smith gets a steal and transition layup. 44-39.
Timeout.

I think Hardin has trouble getting her shot off over athletic players so she rushes her shot. Supposed to be a good shooter but I've never seen it.
She caught fire for a bit in the exhibition but her overall percentages aren't great. I think we need her to shoot open shots this year and just hope she gets hot.

In bonus with 5:21 left in quarter. Ellis hits both. 42-36.
WKU drives on Ellis and gets and-1. 42-38. Misses ft but WKU gets rebound and is fouled by Kyle. Her 3rd.
WKU misses first ft and hits 2nd. 42-39.
Moore forces a bad shot in transition. WKU rebound.
Smith gets a steal and transition layup. 44-39.
Timeout.
I think Jayla Smith needs more time on the court. I'm a huge fan of her. She is just a winner.

Purdue picking up full court after timeout. WKU gets into halfcourt offense but loses the ball out of bounds. Timeout on the court.

I think Jayla Smith needs more time on the court. I'm a huge fan of her. She is just a winner.
I am too. I am a little surprised at how erratic her shooting has been early though. I've been more impressed by her defense and athleticism so far.

Ellis is out but Layden gets the ball up the court against the press.
Layden gets a 3 off an inbound. 47-39
WKU layup. 47-41
Again Purdue breaks press but throws ball away. 17 turnovers so far...for both teams.
WKU misses 5 footer.
Layden transition 3. 50-41
WKU dribbles the ball off their foot out of bounds.
Moore for 3. 53-41 with 2:24 left in 3rd. 30-second timeout for WKU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT