ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Hunter Official.

Be patient with this, we will know very soon and be rewarded......

Great young man and fits the Purdue family.
It certainly looks like all signs are pointing towards him committing to Purdue very soon. Hopefully he commits during his in-home with the staff tomorrow!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Visiting OSU this weekend.

He had an in home from Minnesota coach yesterday. Not a single tweet or photo. The Minnesota fans are obnoxious. That is not a basketball city at all and that state has nothing on Indiana for basketball history.

The change of plans was switchin the Xavier visit with OSU. My guess is that Henry was the draw and he went the MSU route.

Purdue is the best fit and has found the most recent success. Not to mention they have been on him for a while. I think Purdue is the favorite, but my guess it is still neck and neck with OSU, Minnesota (which sounds and feels weird), and Purdue. I imagine he will commit shortly after his officials. No need to wait around after that. Feel pretty decent about Purdue's chances. I know he feels wanted at Purdue. All the pitches have been made.

Visiting OSU this weekend.

Interesting he moved the OSU visit up. Holtman will be desperate since all of their guards decommited from the '18 class. OSU has young core of forwards Wesson, Young, and Jallow. I like Purdue's projected roster better and still hope he is a Boiler, but if Hunter is wanting to hear he will be the guy and get immediate playing time......

He had an in home from Minnesota coach yesterday. Not a single tweet or photo. The Minnesota fans are obnoxious. That is not a basketball city at all and that state has nothing on Indiana for basketball history.

The change of plans was switchin the Xavier visit with OSU. My guess is that Henry was the draw and he went the MSU route.

Purdue is the best fit and has found the most recent success. Not to mention they have been on him for a while. I think Purdue is the favorite, but my guess it is still neck and neck with OSU, Minnesota (which sounds and feels weird), and Purdue. I imagine he will commit shortly after his officials. No need to wait around after that. Feel pretty decent about Purdue's chances. I know he feels wanted at Purdue. All the pitches have been made.

Is Butler totally out of picture now? I thought they had a shot, but doesn't look like they have a visit lined up and you don't hear them mentioned much since Holtman moved on.

Purdue has done all they can here. I was being greedy for an early commit, but looks like we'll have to wait this one out. He would be a great fit at Purdue and help keep the program near the top of the B1G. Fingers crossed.

Just curious, what makes Minneapolis not a basketball city? I would argue that when the Gophers are consistently good, they are the hottest ticket on town. Historically we have had very good fan support. It only started dwindling a bit after the Clem Haskins ordeal.

Reactions: klize17 and pig1960
Is Butler totally out of picture now? I thought they had a shot, but doesn't look like they have a visit lined up and you don't hear them mentioned much since Holtman moved on.

Purdue has done all they can here. I was being greedy for an early commit, but looks like we'll have to wait this one out. He would be a great fit at Purdue and help keep the program near the top of the B1G. Fingers crossed.

He never set an official to Butler. My guess is that isn't a good thing. The three officials are OSU, Minny, Purdue. The coaching change likely hurt Butler.

Reactions: Roeder
Just curious, what makes Minneapolis not a basketball city? I would argue that when the Gophers are consistently good, they are the hottest ticket on town. Historically we have had very good fan support. It only started dwindling a bit after the Clem Haskins ordeal.

College basketball is the third most popular college sport there behind football and hockey. I would say that makes it not a basketball first city. But I am more referring to the entire state. That basketball culture and history has nothing compared to Purdue and the state of Indiana. Outside of Notredame football and a 10 year run for the Colts, basketball has run this state. From high school all the way up to the pros.

Just ignorance mostly...Minnesota was pretty fun to watch last year and should be solid this year. I can see why they are on anyone's shortlist.

Reactions: klize17
Just ignorance mostly...Minnesota was pretty fun to watch last year and should be solid this year. I can see why they are on anyone's shortlist.

Mason, Lynch, Coffey, Murphy, and company.....I wouldn't sleep on the Golden Gophers. They do have the tendency to be somewhat erratic, however.....should still be a tough task come conference time. I also think the Boilers are better equipped to deal with Mason this year....we shall see.

Reactions: tjreese

Being solid and fun to watch, doesn't make it a basketball city. I already explained that is has two higher ranking collegiate sports in Hockey and football.

I never said it was a bad place or not fun to watch. But, to compare the state of Minnesota's basketball history to the state of Indiana's basketball history is laughable. Not to mention what the sport means in Indiana and how many very good basketball players come out of Indiana because of that culture. It isn't close.

Basketball means so much more in this state. Purdue has a very good history and is traditionally at the top of the conference. Minnesota, at best, comes in waives of decency. Purdue has one of the longer streaks of being ranked, 3 straight tournament appearances, a sweet 16, just won the Big Ten outright by 2 games, had the runner up for national player of the year, has gotten many players drafted into the NBA, and won a silver medal in WUG. Even recent history and culture favors Purdue. Again, it's not even close.

Mason, Lynch, Coffey, Murphy, and company.....I wouldn't sleep on the Golden Gophers. They do have the tendency to be somewhat erratic, however.....should still be a tough task come conference time. I also think the Boilers are better equipped to deal with Mason this year....we shall see.
Minnesota lost Curry and Springs both for the season.

Minnesota lost Curry and Springs both for the season.

Thanks for the update, JDB.....that's a blow....less formidable and some depth gone. Still, the Boilers seem to have trouble (as some other teams) in the Barn....except if they play with one shoe. Don't the Boilers finish with Minnesota at home this year?

I'm usually pretty bad a predicting these things but right now I'm liking the smoke signals coming from Twitter. Yesterday Hunter tweeted "change of plans?". Then yesterday it was announced out of the blue that Minnesota would have an in-home visit with Hunter today. Then shortly after, it was announced that 6'-4" 2018 PG Tyrese Haliburton was offered by Minnesota. That sure sounds an awful lot like Hunter was considering making his decision (presumably for Purdue), Minnesota tried as a last ditch effort for an in-home visit to sway him, then saw the writing on the wall and offered their plan B guy. But then, as I said, I'm usually terrible at predicting these things.

So good you had to say it twice! Hope you're right. Hope you're right!

So good you had to say it twice! Hope you're right. Hope you're right!

Hope so as well, but Hunter wouldn't be at OSU this weekend if this was done. If it were me, I'd go on all five visits just for the experience, but it seems like most kids commit when they see what they want from a particular school.

Ha Mason shot out of his ass that game just like the rest of the team, can't do anything about that! but I'm pretty sure he played like garbage the following game so it shows he's human...good player but nothing we can't guard.

Ha Mason shot out of his ass that game just like the rest of the team, can't do anything about that! but I'm pretty sure he played like garbage the following game so it shows he's human...good player but nothing we can't guard.
Likely Minny played their best ball that game and trended downward after that point.

Mason was on fire as was Jok when Purdue played Iowa. Those where two of the best shooting games that I've seen against Purdue.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The boilers ARE better equipped to handle Mason this year...just need to do it. Nojel brings a physical side Mason never saw and any ball screens can be better defended as needed by the bigs...

Being solid and fun to watch, doesn't make it a basketball city. I already explained that is has two higher ranking collegiate sports in Hockey and football.

I never said it was a bad place or not fun to watch. But, to compare the state of Minnesota's basketball history to the state of Indiana's basketball history is laughable. Not to mention what the sport means in Indiana and how many very good basketball players come out of Indiana because of that culture. It isn't close.

Basketball means so much more in this state. Purdue has a very good history and is traditionally at the top of the conference. Minnesota, at best, comes in waives of decency. Purdue has one of the longer streaks of being ranked, 3 straight tournament appearances, a sweet 16, just won the Big Ten outright by 2 games, had the runner up for national player of the year, has gotten many players drafted into the NBA, and won a silver medal in WUG. Even recent history and culture favors Purdue. Again, it's not even close.
Ignorant may have been the wrong term. I wasn't comparing Minnesota history to Indiana history. They have a new(er) coach that seems to be faring well and they play a fun style of ball imo. It doesn't surprise me that Hunter would be interested enough to shortlist Minnesota. As far as basketball city - they have CBB and NBA and WNBA and they support all 3 and you just have to watch CBB game at the Barn to see they certainly support the Gophers. Plus they have the twin cities that are pretty damn nice. Minneapolis is a "sports" town for sure. I'm pretty proud of The State of Indiana's place in BB and moreso proud of Purdue's. Wasn't knocking either.

I would say he is down to us and O$U........he likes Coach Holtmann and they have need at guard.

I hope that he can see O$U has offered many and have not gone all in on him like Purdue has. CMP and staff have made it clear we want him and he is a perfect fit with the current players and family at Purdue.

I would say 50% PU 30% O$U and 20% Minny.

Boiler Up!

Reactions: Roeder
He never set an official to Butler. My guess is that isn't a good thing. The three officials are OSU, Minny, Purdue. The coaching change likely hurt Butler.
...and what I hope is not true is that he has always liked Holtsman, but wanted to play in the BIG and the "patience" has nothing to do with Holtsman moving to OSU where he can get both...I hope that isn't the case...

...and what I hope is not true is that he has always liked Holtsman, but wanted to play in the BIG and the "patience" has nothing to do with Holtsman moving to OSU where he can get both...I hope that isn't the case...

Honestly, it would surprise me if Purdue misses out. I was most worried about Xavier. Minnesota is his last official, so the waiting comment would make sense for them. I still think his visit went very well, and I think he wanted to make every official before committing. He got to see Friday night atmosphere during a football game. He already knows what the basketball program is all about and met all the guys. I hope Tre was hard on that sell because the current class could use a versatile player like Hunter and there are minutes right away.

Honestly, it would surprise me if Purdue misses out. I was most worried about Xavier. Minnesota is his last official, so the waiting comment would make sense for them. I still think his visit went very well, and I think he wanted to make every official before committing. He got to see Friday night atmosphere during a football game. He already knows what the basketball program is all about and met all the guys. I hope Tre was hard on that sell because the current class could use a versatile player like Hunter and there are minutes right away.

I'm right there with you, but Holtsman already took a player Purdue wanted to OSU (from Butler). Matt is experienced and has handled a few different players. Holtsman doesn't have that on the big stage even if he has done a really good job at Butler in his short time. I think it is Purdue and at Purdue he will flourish...and be close to home...if that matters...

An AAU coach in Indy has heard he is going to Ohio State. I personally don't chalk it up to much more than the "buzz" of a recent visit that went well.

Hell, every visit goes well. So may not mean much. Just something I heard. Just passing along.

Reactions: ckakidas
An AAU coach in Indy has heard he is going to Ohio State. I personally don't chalk it up to much more than the "buzz" of a recent visit that went well.

Hell, every visit goes well. So may not mean much. Just something I heard. Just passing along.

If that's the case he would have committed while on the visit and/or cancel the Minnesota visit. He also had a very good Purdue visit and I am sure he will have a very good Minnesota visit. All three schools have similar things to offer. As far as just basketball and opportunities go, Purdue should be the favorite. However, many things go into it.

I still like Purdue's chances. I am worried about the Minnesota visit. They may have the Louisville treatment set up for him. However, they are in on Tyrese Halliburton who has it down between Minnesota and Iowa State. Halliburton makes his commitment at 5. If he picks Minnesota, I think that speeds up Hunter in announcing.

All things considering, that is a pretty decent final 3. Getting Hunter would be a very good thing.

Unrelated, but I heard Dowuana had a good income visit. I still do hope they can get get an official visit from Castleton. Even if we don't land him, it would be nice to put some extra pressure on Dowuana to commit.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
If that's the case he would have committed while on the visit and/or cancel the Minnesota visit. He also had a very good Purdue visit and I am sure he will have a very good Minnesota visit. All three schools have similar things to offer. As far as just basketball and opportunities go, Purdue should be the favorite. However, many things go into it.

I still like Purdue's chances. I am worried about the Minnesota visit. They may have the Louisville treatment set up for him. However, they are in on Tyrese Halliburton who has it down between Minnesota and Iowa State. Halliburton makes his commitment at 5. If he picks Minnesota, I think that speeds up Hunter in announcing.

All things considering, that is a pretty decent final 3. Getting Hunter would be a very good thing.

Unrelated, but I heard Dowuana had a good income visit. I still do hope they can get get an official visit from Castleton. Even if we don't land him, it would be nice to put some extra pressure on Dowuana to commit.

BTW Castleton is visiting Purdue from the 29th- October 1st. Also I agree that a Halliburton commitment should eliminate Minnesota but who knows. Does Minnesota only have one open scholly?

Reactions: StickPurdue

Income visit? Painter is changing his tactics. Ha, I could see that from Louisville, O$U or M$U.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Income visit? Painter is changing his tactics. Ha, I could see that from Louisville, O$U or M$U.

Autocorrect got me on that one. Income visit is rather clever against a team like O$U, but I don't think their new coach is dirty like that. But, there are some people on this board that wish we would buy players. I hope I didn't accidentally get them excited.

Autocorrect got me on that one. Income visit is rather clever against a team like O$U, but I don't think their new coach is dirty like that. But, there are some people on this board that wish we would buy players. I hope I didn't accidentally get them excited.
OH ... OH ... OOh my Gawd .... I am so excited .... Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reactions: Dakota Girl

Tyrese Halibuton just signed with Iowa St.

He didn't sign, he committed verbally, but yes I saw. Now Minnesota really needs Hunter. They are going to make the hard sell. I just hope he sees all the benefits of Purdue and playing basketball in Indiana.
He knows he would be playing for son Pitino, not dad right? I understand OSU, but not Minny...still Purdue is his best fit, very desired by Purdue , proven growth and ideal for versatile players...

Not trying to be negative but this is what I'm talking about in the recruiting. No way Purdue should be battling for a kid right out of our own state with Minnesota that shouldn't happen. We're talking about Minnesota that's right Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT