ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis recruitment

Okay, so you don't think Wheeler will be the starting 4 to start the year?? I'll gladly take that wager.

Yes, Painter had two bigs with better skill than what he has now. Biggie and Haas were far more suited to play the 4 and 5 together than Williams and Haarms... Yet... Painter moved Biggie to the 5 and Vince to the 4, because it makes for better basketball.
You aren't remembering correctly. Painter moved Biggie to the 5 because Hammons graduated. It made the team stronger

Tre's ball-handling skills are better than Biggie's. Haarms is much more mobile and a better shot-blocker than Haas. And Painter has Dow. Again, you are trying to judge current players and teams based on past players and teams, which is less likely to be true than it is to say you can predict a player's performance based on their performance last year.

so if given a choice of playing Haarms and Tre as a twin tower, who would you play at the 4 and the 5 ? before Haarms came to Purdue , he was playing the 4 in Europe. That led to speculation he could team up with Haas as a twin towers.

You aren't remembering correctly. Painter moved Biggie to the 5 because Hammons graduated. It made the team stronger

Tre's ball-handling skills are better than Biggie's. Haarms is much more mobile and a better shot-blocker than Haas. And Painter has Dow. Again, you are trying to judge current players and teams based on past players and teams, which is less likely to be true than it is to say you can predict a player's performance based on their performance last year.
You are incorrect. Biggie and Haas started the first 15 games of the season together. After that Painter switched Biggie to the 5 and Vince to the 4.

Their ball handling skills are similar. Biggie was a better shooter by far, and lighter on his feet. Haarms is better at what you say. Haas was better than Haarms offensively. Dow is a non factor. I would be very surprised if he gets more than 1 or 2 minutes a game in non con and 0 during conference.

I'm judging how Painter will use the current roster based on how he used similar players in the past. It's really not that complicated.

I think we're are forgetting about the other part of the roster. I'm pretty confident in Hunter, Proctor, Newman, Sasha, Thompson, Wheeler and possibly Gillis. I believe that will be enough shooters to cover your issue with 3 point shooters.This team is structured differently but will be very effective in different aspects.

You are incorrect. Biggie and Haas started the first 15 games of the season together. After that Painter switched Biggie to the 5 and Vince to the 4.

Their ball handling skills are similar. Biggie was a better shooter by far, and lighter on his feet. Haarms is better at what you say. Haas was better than Haarms offensively. Dow is a non factor. I would be very surprised if he gets more than 1 or 2 minutes a game in non con and 0 during conference.

I'm judging how Painter will use the current roster based on how he used similar players in the past. It's really not that complicated.

I suspect Biggie and Haas a year later would be much more effective than the year they played together. I also think the difference lies in Haarms/Haas rather than Tre/Biggie. You don’t play two bigs with one behind the arc…UNLESS you really have very talented Bigs. I believe one of the major advantages of playing two bigs is when you can interchange them on offense…when you can take advantage of your mismatch with who is out there…or who you want to put into a defensive liability on the other team due to fouls if they are trying to hide a big. A high-low is good, but goes up exponentially when you can put whoever high and whoever low depending on who is playing D against them. AT a given time rarely is there more than three people involved in the O, the rest are occupying the D and getting ready for the next movement of the ball. Then again, if you are playing two bigs…they must rest sometime. As in everything there are advantages and disadvantages to all. If you play two bigs, there will be sometime where the spacing between the big at high post and the top is diminished , but the spacing around the arc is increased and the war in the paint is easier. Depending on whether you always play high and low post on ball side you could also decrease the spacing to the top of the arc, but now that spot is 18 inches farther and you have no issue if you don’t go always high post ball side. Outside of Carsen most three ball come from the wings. The biggest issue for two bigs is mobility and being able to interchange. The reduced shot clock decreases the ability to wait patiently for your time as well and so why all the quick hitters.

Haarms is a different animal and allows things none of the other 5’s I can quickly recall offer…and that is the ability to move his feet on D and the skill set on the perimeter. I’ll wait and see what Tre can do, but he will be better than last year I’m sure and if he can interchange on O, he doesn’t have to on D…he can guard the 5 man. Haarms can move his feet and use his length to play D…help when it is needed and clean up weakside on any close shots…longer shots that Haarms is contesting probably bounce long anyway if they miss.

What can each player do and how does that skill set fits in with the rest of the team …and which of those make for the better team in most situations? This will be a fun season watching them grow…and to see if that 18 inches means anything…

I think we're are forgetting about the other part of the roster. I'm pretty confident in Hunter, Proctor, Newman, Sasha, Thompson, Wheeler and possibly Gillis. I believe that will be enough shooters to cover your issue with 3 point shooters.This team is structured differently but will be very effective in different aspects.
every team is different and that is how the team will be molded. I like watching them grow!

Exactly, which is why I believe 3 of these players mentioned will be on the court at all times.

I agree that your views are really not that complicated. But neither is Painter's approach. It's just that Painter's approach to developing players and building a team is different than your views.

I agree that your views are really not that complicated. But neither is Painter's approach. It's just that Painter's approach to developing players and building a team is different than your views.
Except for his views are the exact same as mine. You will not see Williams or Haarms at the 4 more than 5-7 min/gm. Wheeler/Gillis/EB will get almost all of the minutes at the 4. Seems Painter and I agree.

I'm thinking BoilerKyle is a reincarnation of a previous all knowing poster that always had to be right and have the last word. Since my wife doesn't post on here I know it's not her so I'll just go ahead and put him on ignore because he's becoming tiresome.
Confirmed.

I suspect Biggie and Haas a year later would be much more effective than the year they played together. I also think the difference lies in Haarms/Haas rather than Tre/Biggie. You don’t play two bigs with one behind the arc…UNLESS you really have very talented Bigs. I believe one of the major advantages of playing two bigs is when you can interchange them on offense…when you can take advantage of your mismatch with who is out there…or who you want to put into a defensive liability on the other team due to fouls if they are trying to hide a big. A high-low is good, but goes up exponentially when you can put whoever high and whoever low depending on who is playing D against them. AT a given time rarely is there more than three people involved in the O, the rest are occupying the D and getting ready for the next movement of the ball. Then again, if you are playing two bigs…they must rest sometime. As in everything there are advantages and disadvantages to all. If you play two bigs, there will be sometime where the spacing between the big at high post and the top is diminished , but the spacing around the arc is increased and the war in the paint is easier. Depending on whether you always play high and low post on ball side you could also decrease the spacing to the top of the arc, but now that spot is 18 inches farther and you have no issue if you don’t go always high post ball side. Outside of Carsen most three ball come from the wings. The biggest issue for two bigs is mobility and being able to interchange. The reduced shot clock decreases the ability to wait patiently for your time as well and so why all the quick hitters.

Haarms is a different animal and allows things none of the other 5’s I can quickly recall offer…and that is the ability to move his feet on D and the skill set on the perimeter. I’ll wait and see what Tre can do, but he will be better than last year I’m sure and if he can interchange on O, he doesn’t have to on D…he can guard the 5 man. Haarms can move his feet and use his length to play D…help when it is needed and clean up weakside on any close shots…longer shots that Haarms is contesting probably bounce long anyway if they miss.

What can each player do and how does that skill set fits in with the rest of the team …and which of those make for the better team in most situations? This will be a fun season watching them grow…and to see if that 18 inches means anything…
You better stop by Walgreen's and get a wrist brace!!!

Reactions: tjreese
Again, nobody is saying you don't need a threat behind the line. Since I never got an answer from Kyle, tell me what distance between players allows proper spacing? Purdue needs to score behind the arc, at the rim and in-between those areas to be good. Had Purdue been able to play two bigs together last year would they have beaten Minny?Virginia? Or had Haas played against Texas TEch and a team that didn't even know the 3 point line existed, perhaps things might have been different. So you see, you need to be effective in combating many different offenses and defenses as needed and that may or may not include a stretch four. I've personally had a group that could shoot the ball and many times would have two or three shots not counted as they were out of bounds and the best D against us was a zone that spread out, not worrying about the inside as we had no inside threat and that team had the state's leading scorer. They could shoot it and let the air out of the ball, but no inside threat at all and some games you need more of a threat than others...not to mention the inside defense.

I assume you want open shots behind the arc. How much compression of the D is needed? Can that always happen with a single post? What about fouls inside and punishment of the other team? Do you like the other team to be hurting inside...is it nice to be in bonus earlier?

The conversation is concerning if it is necessary to always play a stretch four and my answer is NO. It all comes down to the individual strengths and the team on the floor. I want Purdue to be versatile and not limited. However they play, is fine with me. Go find me anyone that has coached and ask if "ANY" particular X and Os are more important than execution of those X and Os and the answer will be NO. It always comes down to execution rather than a particular offensive approach because there are a LOT of ways of having a good offense...NOT one way.

Can Purdue always have teams match up with what Purdue wants to do? This conversation was about whether Purdue can play two bigs together or if a stretch 4 was always the best way to go, not whether anyone can be a threat behind the line. Too many people see what they see and may think that is how all do it. There are definite advantages to playing 3 out as opposed to 4...definite, but it will be a player, by player decision and the opposition in a particular game. I said what if the stretch 4 hits 3 threes in a game...whereas the less threatening 4 player plays inside the arc...can those three points be made up LOTS of ways? Kyle was basically debating himself as there never was a conversation about if the 3 ball must be a threat. Now find me a coach that will tell you it is much more important to have a particular alignment or offensive strategy than the execution of any reasonable strategy?

We don't know what players are showing what to Matt and so we have no idea what will happen and neither does Matt at this time. Matt seems to think that he may play two bigs together more than the recent past. THAT may or may not happen. I just hope Purdue can play how the want and if necessary to match up with another team, Purdue can do so with effectiveness.

awesome post.

I used to teach my young kids (5th/6th graders) how to "lean" on their opponents on the inside. It wears them down, p*sses them off, and creates other opportunities as they learn leverage and how to position themselves as the ball swings from one side to the other.

I played football, but loved the contact inside when playing basketball. to illustrate, I was a HUGE Dennis Rodman fan... before he went off the deep end.

So would Dre be a big shooting guard? Or play the 3? I’d love to see Wheeler play the 3 to create mismatches at the position, but we seem to love a 3 guard system!

I assume you have seen this from Nojel?

It's simple: without the John Purdue Club's support for our program, we wouldn't have the opportunities we have. I am entering my junior season with the men's basketball team and the first two years have been an incredible blessing and learning experience.

When I think of all that we have accomplished, it makes me really excited for the future. We have been to two Sweet 16s, won a Big Ten title, reached an Elite Eight, won the silver medal in the World University Games and didn't lose a game at Mackey last year. We've accomplished everything as a team and will continue to build as a team. We've made some incredible memories, but there are big things ahead too.

As John Purdue Club members, you are a valuable member of our team. You aid in our development and strengthen our education at one of the top institutions in America. You have given us opportunities to shape our experience and our time here at Purdue.

We are excited to return to the court next month and defend last year's Big Ten Championship. We hope we make you proud along the way.

Boiler Up!
Nojel Eastern
Purdue Men's Basketball

makes me proud to be a LONG time JPC member.

awesome post.

I used to teach my young kids (5th/6th graders) how to "lean" on their opponents on the inside. It wears them down, p*sses them off, and creates other opportunities as they learn leverage and how to position themselves as the ball swings from one side to the other.

I played football, but loved the contact inside when playing basketball. to illustrate, I was a HUGE Dennis Rodman fan... before he went off the deep end.
Football adds toughness to your game

Reactions: Purdue85
I knoe you are just poking fun, but Big difference between the two. TJ knows what he is talking about and I will read whatever he writes no matter how long. That other guy openly admitted he makes stuff up and is obvious he rarely knows what he's talking about, not to mention it seemed like he was frequently trying to make himself look good outside of basketball talk...why I have him on ignore.
That was kind. I do like basketball and someday will get to meet Do Dah Day and know he was having fun and I can laugh at myself as well. What surprised me is that Wole thought he was the other guy. Why couldn't a wedding start at 6 or 7 instead of 4 with pics at 3? A buddy from Purdue (a very modest and bright friend that tested out of 2 years of chem e) just texted me ,"What, Kim's daughter is not a Purdue fan?"

I'll anxiously be checking my phone during the reception to read what people see in the scrimmage

That was kind. I do like basketball and someday will get to meet Do Dah Day and know he was having fun and I can laugh at myself as well. What surprised me is that Wole thought he was the other guy. Why couldn't a wedding start at 6 or 7 instead of 4 with pics at 3? A buddy from Purdue (a very modest and bright friend that tested out of 2 years of chem e) just texted me ,"What, Kim's daughter is not a Purdue fan?"

I'll anxiously be checking my phone during the reception to read what people see in the scrimmage
I caught that. I thought there was a hint of self-awareness, but I suspect the victimization syndrome caused him to miss the point.

I got my front teeth replaced with a bridge. Wife says I can go out in public again, as soon as she buys me some pants. She's even going to drive me to the scrimmage tomorrow. And a good friend is tapping 6 ponies of mead at 3:00 ... life outside my bed is looking pretty good.

I got my front teeth replaced with a bridge. Wife says I can go out in public again, as soon as she buys me some pants. She's even going to drive me to the scrimmage tomorrow. And a good friend is tapping 6 ponies of mead at 3:00 ... life outside my bed is looking pretty good.
Most guys I know of that are your advanced age don't lose their teeth in a fight and you're probably too old for it to be meth related so I'm guessing you need new brakes on your walker to keep you from falling on your face again!!!

Most guys I know of that are your advanced age don't lose their teeth in a fight and you're probably too old for it to be meth related so I'm guessing you need new brakes on your walker to keep you from falling on your face again!!!
My ten month old grandson punched me ... he's a bruiser. Then it was whiskey or front teeth, so I went without teeth for a year. finally saved-up enough to buy a sharp knife and get 'em whittled. White oak, of course.

So do they match your other teeth? If I was you, I’d stay away from fires. Wood teeth have a tendency to burn and turn black!

Louisville is stacked at that position too. It may not be about immediate playing time since he would have plenty of chances at Nebraska. He may want to be closer to home at a higher profile program.

Where is StickPurdue? He was pretty high on him.

Long post, Cliff note version in the last paragraph. Feel free to skip ahead.

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, but it got a little side tracked (for some reason I thought this would be the one thread that wouldn’t). I’ll try and get this thread back on topic.

Dre is an elite talent. 6’6 and he can shoot, drive, and defend. You can’t have enough of those guys. He was an absolute problem in the circuits. Landing him does two things. One, it give Purdue some elite depth off the bench (not saying he would come off the bench, but you would also have Morton, Ivey, Newman who are all in that similar size range that can play multiple positions. Then some seasoned guys like Sasha and Hunter).

Would I take him? In a heart beat. Even if Nojel doesn’t leave early (and let’s face it, if he shows a jump shot he is a high first round talent. I have every reason to expect he will because he has been working on it), he will only would have one year with Davis. Yes Purdue is more guard heavy right now, but you don’t want to miss on talent Davis IMO. Painter has to keep landing the best Indiana talent. So yes, you take him.

Purdue has 3 players that could leave after this year. Wheeler, Haarms, and Eastern. The ‘21 class has a lot of big man potential. There is no reason to take a risk at this point. Davis is a safe pick and that gives you: 1: Morton, Hunter 2: Ivey, IT 3: Newman, Sasha, Davis. As competitive as all those guys are, you would have some intense practices and competition. Purdue would have one of the best back courts in the nation with that lineup.

So, do I think it will happen? No. Purdue is in it and they want him. But Louisville is all in and it seemed they were the reason for the decomittment. They also have 5 CB picks since 10/14. Purdue immediately got involved, which is why they got an OV. Not to mention they have Ivey who can recruit him pretty hard. So Purdue may get a serious look.

Another poster mentioned it. Could we use him, absolutely. But, it’s easy to feel really good about Purdue’s back court, even without him. IT could redshirt this year. And if Nojel does stay for another year, you could see the possibility of a Morton RS. That is a scary thought. So is a fifth year Davis if he came in on a RS. Painter says get old and stay old. If he can RS one guard every year, that’s a very good thing.

This could also be appealing to 4’s and 5’s that want to play right away. Painter has played young bigs with great success. As an elite 4 and 5 there is potential to play a lot right away with really good guards in a big friendly system. Right now the bigs are Wheeler, Haarms, Williams, Dow. If need be, some of the 6’6 folks could fill the 4 for small ball. I expect the ‘21 class to have at least one big that can contribute right away. Maybe 2 depending on what shakes up.

Long story short, there is plenty of room to take Davis and help solidify the back court. After the baby boilers, painter struggled to back fill. I have no problem with creating competition as well as preparing for the future. Bigs that can contribute right away should be excited about Purdue’s back court and use of bigs. Davis is going to be a beast so taking him not only makes Purdue stronger but would weaken what appears to be Louisville at this point. Will Purdue get him? Likely not. Buck heck ya I would love to have him be a Boiler.

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, but it got a little side tracked (for some reason I thought this would be the one thread that wouldn’t). I’ll try and get this thread back on topic.

Dre is an elite talent. 6’6 and he can shoot, drive, and defend. You can’t have enough of those guys. He was an absolute problem in the circuits. Landing him does two things. One, it give Purdue some elite depth off the bench (not saying he would come off the bench, but you would also have Morton, Ivey, Newman who are all in that similar size range that can play multiple positions. Then some seasoned guys like Sasha and Hunter).

Would I take him? In a heart beat. Even if Nojel doesn’t leave early (and let’s face it, if he shows a jump shot he is a high first round talent. I have every reason to expect he will because he has been working on it), he will only would have one year with Davis. Yes Purdue is more guard heavy right now, but you don’t want to miss on talent Davis IMO. Painter has to keep landing the best Indiana talent. So yes, you take him.

Purdue has 3 players that could leave after this year. Wheeler, Haarms, and Eastern. The ‘21 class has a lot of big man potential. There is no reason to take a risk at this point. Davis is a safe pick and that gives you: 1: Morton, Hunter 2: Ivey, IT 3: Newman, Sasha, Davis. As competitive as all those guys are, you would have some intense practices and competition. Purdue would have one of the best back courts in the nation with that lineup.

So, do I think it will happen? No. Purdue is in it and they want him. But Louisville is all in and it seemed they were the reason for the decomittment. They also have 5 CB picks since 10/14. Purdue immediately got involved, which is why they got an OV. Not to mention they have Ivey who can recruit him pretty hard. So Purdue may get a serious look.

Another poster mentioned it. Could we use him, absolutely. But, it’s easy to feel really good about Purdue’s back court, even without him. IT could redshirt this year. And if Nojel does stay for another year, you could see the possibility of a Morton RS. That is a scary thought. So is a fifth year Davis if he came in on a RS. Painter says get old and stay old. If he can RS one guard every year, that’s a very good thing.

This could also be appealing to 4’s and 5’s that want to play right away. Painter has played young bigs with great success. As an elite 4 and 5 there is potential to play a lot right away with really good guards in a big friendly system. Right now the bigs are Wheeler, Haarms, Williams, Dow. If need be, some of the 6’6 folks could fill the 4 for small ball. I expect the ‘21 class to have at least one big that can contribute right away. Maybe 2 depending on what shakes up.

Long story short, there is plenty of room to take Davis and help solidify the back court. After the baby boilers, painter struggled to back fill. I have no problem with creating competition as well as preparing for the future. Bigs that can contribute right away should be excited about Purdue’s back court and use of bigs. Davis is going to be a beast so taking him not only makes Purdue stronger but would weaken what appears to be Louisville at this point. Will Purdue get him? Likely not. Buck heck ya I would love to have him be a Boiler.
Is UL getting off Scott free from the Brian Bowen purchase?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
But Louisville is all in and it seemed they were the reason for the decomittment. They also have 5 CB picks since 10/14. Purdue immediately got involved, which is why they got an OV.
So do you think Louisville was talking him into opening or was it more of a factor that they were after his little brother so he decided to question his commitment?

Is UL getting off Scott free from the Brian Bowen purchase?

12 ranked class in the nation last year. Have the number one rated Juco player on the board for ‘20 and nothing else yet. I don’t think they ever suffered nor will they.

It sounds like they are trying to set up a backup plan if they miss on their top targets. Davis is one heck of a “consolation prize”.

So do you think Louisville was talking him into opening or was it more of a factor that they were after his little brother so he decided to question his commitment?

If I were a betting man, they talked him into his decommitment. Because he didn’t commit right away to Louisville, Xavier and Purdue got in the door right away (which was very smart). I don’t think Painter had any intention on talking a Davis out of his commitment, but with the big targets going elsewhere and Davis opening up the timing works for Purdue and they are likely very hard after him.

I think Louisville really needs him. Some players haven’t worked out and they are very smart to go after Davis. I would stay away from Louisville because of the cheating and especially since Mack came up in the FBI scandal as well. Hard pass. But Louisville presents opportunity and I doubt they get much punishment. Maybe a post season ban, but who knows.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I tried to catch a bit of Powell a few months ago and Dre caught my eye

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As was said, he wasn’t a great fit for Purdue as we already had multiple players at his position!

this clears the path for Edey and a real need.

Reactions: 3generboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT