ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis recruitment

See this is where we disagree. I have next year's roster looking as follows right now.

1: Eastern/Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter
3: Newman/Ivey
4: Wheeler/Gillis
5: Haarms/Williams/Dow

If we were to add another player, a guy like Davis makes more sense than another center, IMO. However, I don't think we should add anyone.
Next year may look very different that what is on this list. A lot can happen in a season.

Not disagreeing with anything in particular here, but I believe you take the best talent available even if it does not make perfect since from a position standpoint. What if's are a big deal in High major CBB. What if two guys jump to play pro? What if someone/s is lost for the season due to injury? Great teams have bench players that are way better than most teams bench players..
yep, yep, and yep!!!!!!

I could see him at the 3. I also see the 3 as one of our weakest positions. I also see Tre eventually moving to the 4 and allowing Dow to play goalkeeper. I also saw Newman as a 3 and Wheeler as a tall 3.

like many, I rate the unknown higher than the known. My expectations for Wheeler, Sasha and Hunter are not big. I believe they will have careers at Purdue, sort of like Cline and Mathias. I see them more as quality supporting players rather than stars.
You may be surprised this season I’ve watched them all they all look totally different than what the naked eye can see. Soon all of you will see what I’m talking about.

Agreed. Tre just need a constant outside shot and when he has it becomes very hard to handle playing the 4. He is already above average with handles, passing and low post game. He starts knocking down shots and we will all understand why he was ranked so high before his injury.
He can shoot he’ll get some opportunities to do so. Got a nice outside shot too

He is better in man to man than in a zone . He is one of those guys that gets right up on you and plays physical . At one point the Indy heat only had 7 players I think it was a tourney in Ft. Wayne he played 3 or four positions and played them all well . But by no means would I put him on Ray Davis's level . I would say he is a serviceable defender . But an excellent scorer .
Was Ray even a serviceable defender in high school?

Reactions: oldboiler52
I just saw Louisville offered De’Ante Davis - class of 2022. I believe he is his younger brother. Nebraska also offered him over the summer. A Butler grad told me that Micah is known for being a good recruiter in Indy and has connections. Can’t hurt here.

Yea, with the offer to the younger brother this might be a 2-1 deal for Louisville....CMP trying it seems, but who knows this might be done & go to the ville.

Reactions: TX4GB
Brohm got his last Friday, and you will be tickled pink about it in a year or two.
My comment was meant to infer Brohm didn't need another WR AFTER Carr gave us his expected commitment. Maliq's gonna be one of the most fan-favorite guys we've had in a while.

True - I was looking two years out PLUS, I was looking at a perfect world where no one is playing "out of position."
I see:

1: Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter/Newman/Ivey
3: Wheeler/Gillis
4: Tre (he will be a 4 in two years!!!)
5: Dow
From several Painter quotes, he is giving Wheeler the opportunity to play the 3 and Tre the opportunity to play the 4. In both cases, the challenge and deciding factor will be on the defensive end. I really, really hope these guys can rise to the challenge. If they can, their NBA dreams will be fulfilled and it will be johnwoodhead00's worst nightmare come true. :D

From several Painter quotes, he is giving Wheeler the opportunity to play the 3 and Tre the opportunity to play the 4. In both cases, the challenge and deciding factor will be on the defensive end. I really, really hope these guys can rise to the challenge. If they can, their NBA dreams will be fulfilled and it will be johnwoodhead00's worst nightmare come true. :D
You might be surprised this season both will be worthy of that challenge

I truly believe a year of playing basketball after his high school injury that tre could and will become a dominant and successful 4. and wit h Wheeler's perimeter game, he could easily become a successful 3. and leave Haarms and Dow in the paint. Many here think of Dow as a project, but he would have played for a lot of other division 1 teams last year. The guy does have talent.

Working with an iPhone 6 hear. I am convinced they are screwing with me. First it was the battery. After recent updates does not like cell and home WiFi on at the same time. Some of my posts are coming out twice because I don’t think they are sent.

I have watched him play many times . He attacks constantly and plays much bigger than 6'5 every time I watched him I wanted him more . He will be a huge get for any team and a huge loss for Nebraska . Position less basketball can only exist with guy's like him . Similar to Nojel he can play a variety spots and is a nightmare to guard .

I like these 6'6 athletes that can play a bunch of positions and do a lot of different things. If he's talented enough and can produce, he'll get his playing time.

We'd have an NBA size line up if this pans out.
Haarms 7'3
Williams 6'10
Wheels 6'9
Nojel 6'7
Hunter 6'2

Reactions: 70boiler
I think you guys go a little overboard on guys leaving early off this team. Now I do think we got some talented players that can play in the NBA But leave early I don't see it. If we have 2 guys on this team that can leave early we are winning the championship this year with the way painter coaches.

See this is where we disagree. I have next year's roster looking as follows right now.

1: Eastern/Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter
3: Newman/Ivey
4: Wheeler/Gillis
5: Haarms/Williams/Dow

If we were to add another player, a guy like Davis makes more sense than another center, IMO. However, I don't think we should add anyone.
Along with Do Da Days thoughts. Haarms and Tre can play the 4 and 5. Don't limit the type of teams Matt can put out there into thinking that a stretch 4 is the only way Matt can play. There could be years (maybe this year?) where Matt plays two bigs together and neither is a "stretch 4" type player...we may see two 4.5 players. ;) Second, I doubt Ivy will see the 3 spot. I can see Newman as a 3 and Gillis and wheeler playing the 3 and 4 depending on how the previous 4 adn 5 players are doing. I'm also leaning to Sasha as a 2 or 3 depending.

Being able to play finesse AND smash mouth basketball has its advantages and I think Matt can do that. I just wish I could see the scrimmage Saturday. Had Purdue been able to play big more often last year, Purdue might ave picked up two more wins against Minny and slowed down the bigs of Virginia as Carsen was lighting it up.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
After Ray became a high level defender the coaching staff and he both laughed about what a horrible defender he was in hs and when he first came to Purdue.
God luv him. He was a better defender than Woody coming out of Richmond

Reactions: koonjs01
I think you guys go a little overboard on guys leaving early off this team. Now I do think we got some talented players that can play in the NBA But leave early I don't see it. If we have 2 guys on this team that can leave early we are winning the championship this year with the way painter coaches.
As a parent of one of the players on the team these those decisions right or wrong will be there’s those are facts and your opinion is just that and winning a championship has no bearings on there future plz know that. You have absolutely no idea what goes on in the lives of these players and who there talk too so to suggest you don’t see it is premature but hey it is your opinion just not FACTS. A lot of season to be played we’ll see what happens moving forward.

Along with Do Da Days thoughts. Haarms and Tre can play the 4 and 5. Don't limit the type of teams Matt can put out there into thinking that a stretch 4 is the only way Matt can play. There could be years (maybe this year?) where Matt plays two bigs together and neither is a "stretch 4" type player...we may see two 4.5 players. ;) Second, I doubt Ivy will see the 3 spot. I can see Newman as a 3 and Gillis and wheeler playing the 3 and 4 depending on how the previous 4 adn 5 players are doing. I'm also leaning to Sasha as a 2 or 3 depending.

Being able to play finesse AND smash mouth basketball has its advantages and I think Matt can do that. I just wish I could see the scrimmage Saturday. Had Purdue been able to play big more often last year, Purdue might ave picked up two more wins against Minny and slowed down the bigs of Virginia as Carsen was lighting it up.
Painter's best teams have had a stretch 4 (Hummel/Vince/Grady). I'm not convinced Haarms and Williams can play together at this point more than spot minutes. I hope I'm wrong as they are two of our best players, but I don't see Williams being able to guard an opposing 4. Sure Haarms could probably guard an opposing 4, but his greatest strength is shot blocking, and pulling him away from the basket would be a win for the opposing team.

Painter's best teams have had a stretch 4 (Hummel/Vince/Grady). I'm not convinced Haarms and Williams can play together at this point more than spot minutes. I hope I'm wrong as they are two of our best players, but I don't see Williams being able to guard an opposing 4. Sure Haarms could probably guard an opposing 4, but his greatest strength is shot blocking, and pulling him away from the basket would be a win for the opposing team.
They good thing about this team if it don’t work with Tre playing the 4 he has options at the positions for sure. This team is very deep at each position all are different in there skill sets but all will be very effective at what they do. Playing Tre and Haarms together will cause problems for teams offensively bcuz both are very different in what they do but together so many offensive possibilities. You may give up some defensive advantages but that is yet to be determined gotta way and see how it works. From the sample size I saw both could be effective on both ends just depends on the teams you play too. Saturday we all gonna get a glimpse of what this team identity could be and I think from what I saw will all gonna enjoy watching this very athletic fast long defensive minded team cause teams problems when you have to guard 5 players on the court every possession. They gonna make defenses guard 5 players that will be a tall task to do

They good thing about this team if it don’t work with Tre playing the 4 he has options at the positions for sure. This team is very deep at each position all are different in there skill sets but all will be very effective at what they do. Playing Tre and Haarms together will cause problems for teams offensively bcuz both are very different in what they do but together so many offensive possibilities. You may give up some defensive advantages but that is yet to be determined gotta way and see how it works. From the sample size I saw both could be effective on both ends just depends on the teams you play too. Saturday we all gonna get a glimpse of what this team identity could be and I think from what I saw will all gonna enjoy watching this very athletic fast long defensive minded team cause teams problems when you have to guard 5 players on the court every possession. They gonna make defenses guard 5 players that will be a tall task to do
Treed, will you be able to attend the scrimmage? I thought it was closed, but probably open to certain folks.

Treed, will you be able to attend the scrimmage? I thought it was closed, but probably open to certain folks.
I’m sorry the I’m attending the Fan Day scrimmage this Saturday I am not able to attend the private scrimmage against providence next week.

First, what type of play Matt's teams in the past have done is no way inclusive of all the ways Matt can play, I do NOT know if Haarms and Williams can play together, but I think they could...and better be able at least for spots or Purdue will have a huge limitation in how they can play. People talk about guarding the opposing person and that is true, but the reality is the net effect. Does your team gain more with an increase on one side of the ball than the other. Can your team be better with a player having more D than O and the other way around...certainly. Too many fall into a trap of thinking this is what Matt has done and therefore this is how it must be.

That used to be a selling point other coaches would use against Matt and his guards, but we all saw with Carsen that isn't true.
Whether Matt plays a bigger lineup or not this year...I hope Purdue is able to do it if needed because there will be games and teams it will be needed.

I find it interesting and positive Painter gave Dre an offer knowing he was an AAU teammate of a current commit. That's using your resources and connections. that was a factor in the recruitment of the three amigos. I also like the strategy of announcing the offer right before the official visit of Edey. it kind of forces Edey's hand to make a quick decision.

I also like the idea that Painter doesn't seem to want to bank this scholarship. he's going all in !

Reactions: Zaphod_B
First, what type of play Matt's teams in the past have done is no way inclusive of all the ways Matt can play, I do NOT know if Haarms and Williams can play together, but I think they could...and better be able at least for spots or Purdue will have a huge limitation in how they can play. People talk about guarding the opposing person and that is true, but the reality is the net effect. Does your team gain more with an increase on one side of the ball than the other. Can your team be better with a player having more D than O and the other way around...certainly. Too many fall into a trap of thinking this is what Matt has done and therefore this is how it must be.

That used to be a selling point other coaches would use against Matt and his guards, but we all saw with Carsen that isn't true.
Whether Matt plays a bigger lineup or not this year...I hope Purdue is able to do it if needed because there will be games and teams it will be needed.
I never said Painter couldn't adapt his offense to play two bigs. We have seen him play Biggie and Haas/Hammons at the same time. In the end, he ended up moving Biggie to the 5 and Vince to the 4, because it was better offensively and defensively.

I have no doubt that Haarms and Williams would be good offensively, however, I think we would lose more defensively than we would gain offensively. Net Loss.

We need Wheeler at the 4, because that opens up another guard/wing spot for a shooter. Playing Eastern, Williams, and Haarms together would make us easy to guard (at least that's my opinion until I actually see one or more of those 3 be a consistent 3 pt threat).

I believe our best lineup, and the lineup we will see starting game 1 is:

Eastern
Proctor
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I have no doubt that Haarms and Williams would be good offensively, however, I think we would lose more defensively than we would gain offensively. Net Lo
This assumes that Wheeler is much improved defensively this year. Wasn’t so good last year.

I never said Painter couldn't adapt his offense to play two bigs. We have seen him play Biggie and Haas/Hammons at the same time. In the end, he ended up moving Biggie to the 5 and Vince to the 4, because it was better offensively and defensively.

I have no doubt that Haarms and Williams would be good offensively, however, I think we would lose more defensively than we would gain offensively. Net Loss.

We need Wheeler at the 4, because that opens up another guard/wing spot for a shooter. Playing Eastern, Williams, and Haarms together would make us easy to guard (at least that's my opinion until I actually see one or more of those 3 be a consistent 3 pt threat).

I believe our best lineup, and the lineup we will see starting game 1 is:

Eastern
Proctor
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms
I was at a few of there practices I seen all 3 play together and it worked. How effective it will be depends on teams they play. Tre can moving much better and can hit 3s so can Matt and Nojel. This isn’t last years teams each of these players have worked hard in the off season to work specifically on other areas of there games and it will be on full display this season. The offense will look totally different and remember who is now running the offense an ex NBA assistant and he knows his stuff. I watched him draw up 2 plays on the spot and it worked. Season around the corner we all gone find out what each of these players can do but from what I saw with my own eyes I like what I see from Tre and Haarms and the rest of the team

This assumes that Wheeler is much improved defensively this year. Wasn’t so good last year.
He is more improved he wants more minutes he knows he has to be very solid in that area we saw it coming together last season in big ten play I expect it to be even better from what I’ve seen. Saturday they have open scrimmage check it out for yourself

Yea, with the offer to the younger brother this might be a 2-1 deal for Louisville....CMP trying it seems, but who knows this might be done & go to the ville.

This was my thought too. With the late decomit and immediate OV to Louisville, he likely already knows where he is going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT