ADVERTISEMENT

Dowuona playing on exhibition tour of Ukraine

Chevy, you are the eternal Boiler optimist, and I appreciate that. However, where, according to you and other optimists, will the points come from this year? We had 2 rare breeds last season: a super stud who seemed to elevate his game with the competition, and a sniper. Who, play tell, will make the Big Bucket this season? Who wants the ball when MSU has us by 1 with 30 seconds and 1 possession remaining?
Nov 5 it starts every question will be answered

Chevy, you are the eternal Boiler optimist, and I appreciate that. However, where, according to you and other optimists, will the points come from this year? We had 2 rare breeds last season: a super stud who seemed to elevate his game with the competition, and a sniper. Who, play tell, will make the Big Bucket this season? Who wants the ball when MSU has us by 1 with 30 seconds and 1 possession remaining?
I wouldn't put a ceiling on any of these players. At least one player, probably more, will surprise this crowd this year. It happens every year.

I wouldn't put a ceiling on any of these players. At least one player, probably more, will surprise this crowd this year. It happens every year.
I’m in agreement with u. I’ve been watching some of the games this past season those 7 that return played really really early coming of the bench especially during big 10 play and during ncaa Tournament run. There were times when team was up by 20/25 points he had Sasha Nojel Haarms Eric Aaron on the floor at same time subbing in Tre add in evan now that he’s healthy they got out in transition like no other Sasha was shooting well Aaron was more aggressive attacking the basket while still knocking down shots and Tre and Haarms were major problems inside that paint. Tre was a rebounding machine Matt blocking’s everything Nojel locking everybody up so did Eric. This team will be underestimated at first won’t take long for them to get people’s attention. This team gone be really really good and when they get done games under there belt get used to one another add proctor mason isiah and Emmanuel this team gonna be down right out good. 6 players played in elite 8 and 7 return with plenty of experience man I’m pumped and excited to see these boys show that when players leave others step up no drop off

How many people said, 'If Grady starts we are in big trouble, or if Cline is one of our leading scorers we are in big trouble." I recall hearing quite a bit of this last year. Point being, you do not know until the games begin.
yes i already do know. im sure he'll be a fine player. but if we're going to rely on a transfer from a smaller school to lead the team in scoring it will not be a good season.

I’m in agreement with u. I’ve been watching some of the games this past season those 7 that return played really really early coming of the bench especially during big 10 play and during ncaa Tournament run. There were times when team was up by 20/25 points he had Sasha Nojel Haarms Eric Aaron on the floor at same time subbing in Tre add in evan now that he’s healthy they got out in transition like no other Sasha was shooting well Aaron was more aggressive attacking the basket while still knocking down shots and Tre and Haarms were major problems inside that paint. Tre was a rebounding machine Matt blocking’s everything Nojel locking everybody up so did Eric. This team will be underestimated at first won’t take long for them to get people’s attention. This team gone be really really good and when they get done games under there belt get used to one another add proctor mason isiah and Emmanuel this team gonna be down right out good. 6 players played in elite 8 and 7 return with plenty of experience man I’m pumped and excited to see these boys show that when players leave others step up no drop off

You make a good point regarding Eric that gets overlooked. For as bad as he was early in the year on defense, he was pretty dang good at the end. That will be his key to holding off the two freshmen for minutes. If he can defend at a high level he’ll have a role. He has the speed and quickness to do so, he just has to be that constant effort guy in the way that Nojel, Ray Davis and Chris Kramer have been. If he can add to that the ability to knock down open shots he’ll have play major minutes.

Last edited:
You make a good point regarding Eric that gets overlooked. For as bad as he was early in the year on defense, he was able retry dang good at the end. That will be his key to holding off the two freshmen for minutes. If he can defend at a high level he’ll have a role. He has the speed and quickness to do so, he just has to be that constant effort guy in the way the mood of Nojel, Ray Davis and Chris Kramer have been. If he can add to that the ability to knock down open shots he’ll have lay major minutes.
Eric has a major advantage over the freshman he got a year of real time competition under his belt especially defensively. Offensively he’ll look even better the more minutes he plays so he’ll make it very hard on the 2 freshman that plays same position as him bcuz he has been through the storm already they have yet experienced what he has already. Plus as I said b4 no need to rush them when u got so much returning that will allow the freshman to learn at there pace and get use to the rigorous of college basketball. I do believe all 3 freshman will definitely be good at contributing to helping this team win games which is a bonus. All 3 can shoot that ball well too. All these guys that return all will have expanded roles and the more the minutes all of them play the better they will become. Having a foundation of players returning is critical bcuz the schedule is tough and need to come out the gate setting the tone for the season. Watching those games and watching those guys playing together got me excited so much quickness and athleticism it’s scary wait till the put it all together

Who I think it should be and who it will be are TBD...…

Should be EB, Haarms or Proctor...…..

But will be...Eastern, Wheeler or Hunter.

You make 7 observations, here.
Five are anywhere from probably true to definitely true.
One, about Sasha, is middle of the road.
One more, about Dow looking like an NBA PF, seems mostly like wishful thinking.( But let us wish)
Humble opinion.

I should have clarified. DOW looks like (has the physical appearance) of an NBA PF, didn't want to imply he was anywhere near skilled enough yet.

All I know is that the second? game was a 99 to 99 tie. That is at least 2 games that ended in a tie.
Very little info on the games. That second? game was on youtube……...but then the video was removed. Who knows.

One point , IT will not redshirt. I'm hearing that he is doing great. Besides that would put him in the same class as Morton and I don't believe CMP would want both of them in the same class

That makes zero sense. Carsen was very successful next to Eastern. I view the combo the same way. It would crazy not to want a fifth year of IT, who is much more of a scorer than a PG. I think they balance each other out. If IT can red shirt and doesn’t need to give meaningful minutes, then there is no doubt: RS him. If they need the scoring next year, then obviously you play him. But I am fully on the RS him if you can wagon.

It seems to me that Painter recruits one point guard every year. IT was recruited as a point guard and so was Morton. We will have to agree to disagree. IT will be even better than PJ.

IT can play both like hunter. If he recruited a pure pg every year we would have 4 Pgs on the roster every year. When was the last time we had that? Painter loves players that can play multiple positions, so it’s possible IT plays the 1, but he actually pairs much better with a player like Morton because Morton can guard 1-3 like Eastern.

So we have gone 4 pages in this thread and no one has discussed Dow's performance in these games. So how well did he actually do, since I think the games are over. What were his strong points augmented by the roll he was asked to play on this team.
I watched 3 games not sure if they were games 1,2, and 3 or some other combination . The first game he didn't start but played starter minutes he was raw ( he started the other two ) . The good he blocks shots in one of the games I had him with 4 . He is long and can get off the floor quickly . In high school he would post up and pin the defender down around the basket . Now he moves and sets screens closer to AJ Hammons game rather than Isaac Haas . He is a talker calling out screens and open players . He rebounds well and has good hands . I seen him go one one with a guard and stole the ball . He is going to be a good player he has all the tools he is just raw . The bad switching ball screens and guarding the 3 point shooters appeared to be a glaring weakness . Against a B1G Ten team he will be exposed although Nojel and E2 could help cover the open shooter . If we didn't have Tre and Matt he would be a serviceable BIG . But with two future NBA caliber players ahead of him I cannot see the benefit in rushing him along . I love his upside and he is greatly improved he just needs to play . I think he could be an all B1G TEN defensive player at the end of his career . Please take my reveiw with a grain of salt my sample size is limited by only 3 games after a long layoff .

Who I think it should be and who it will be are TBD...…

Should be EB, Haarms or Proctor...…..

But will be...Eastern, Wheeler or Hunter.

EB is one of your " should be's " and Hunter is one of your " will be's " ????!!!!

Bartender !!........CUT HIM OFF !!.........

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
EB is one of your " should be's " and Hunter is one of your " will be's " ????!!!!

Bartender !!........CUT HIM OFF !!.........
Hmm, my statement is not far off at all.....

Upperclassmen should always want the ball at the end of the game when it counts....last I checked EB, Haarms and Proctor are just that upperclassmen, so you want them to want to be the guy.

On this team though, we have young aggressive alpha males who are not afraid to be that guy...such as Eastern, Wheeler or Hunter.

Must just be a comprehension with you or your looking to pick fight.

I say Boiler Up and good luck to you negative fans like yourself!

I watched 3 games not sure if they were games 1,2, and 3 or some other combination . The first game he didn't start but played starter minutes he was raw ( he started the other two ) . The good he blocks shots in one of the games I had him with 4 . He is long and can get off the floor quickly . In high school he would post up and pin the defender down around the basket . Now he moves and sets screens closer to AJ Hammons game rather than Isaac Haas . He is a talker calling out screens and open players . He rebounds well and has good hands . I seen him go one one with a guard and stole the ball . He is going to be a good player he has all the tools he is just raw . The bad switching ball screens and guarding the 3 point shooters appeared to be a glaring weakness . Against a B1G Ten team he will be exposed although Nojel and E2 could help cover the open shooter . If we didn't have Tre and Matt he would be a serviceable BIG . But with two future NBA caliber players ahead of him I cannot see the benefit in rushing him along . I love his upside and he is greatly improved he just needs to play . I think he could be an all B1G TEN defensive player at the end of his career . Please take my reveiw with a grain of salt my sample size is limited by only 3 games after a long layoff .

Just what I was looking for and wouldn't you know it. It was Oldboiler52 to the rescue. If you are right, ob52, then this looks like a diamond in the ruff that will be a big surprise to our opponents. Please interject more as you see it for this fine young player.

Upperclassmen should always want the ball at the end of the game when it counts....last I checked EB, Haarms and Proctor are just that upperclassmen, so you want them to want to be the guy.

On this team though, we have young aggressive alpha males who are not afraid to be that guy...such as Eastern, Wheeler or Hunter.

Must just be a comprehension with you or your looking to pick fight.

I say Boiler Up and good luck to you negative fans like yourself!
I'm one of the LAST Boiler fan you'd want to call negative.
Haarms, Proctor,Eastern and Wheeler are 4 of the guys that might be called upon as the game clock winds down.
Hunter. ? Maybe, but not especially......
EB ?? " upperclassman " does not necessarily convey the same status as " go-to-guy". He might not be afraid of taking the last shot, but he won't be getting the chance....
Who would be motivated to pick a fight over something as trivial as this ?...….

Haarms, Proctor,Eastern and Wheeler are 4 of the guys that might be called upon as the game clock winds down.
EB ?? " upperclassman " does not necessarily convey the same status as " go-to-guy". He might not be afraid of taking the last shot, but he won't be getting the chance....

well, in fairness, you did imply he was drunk.

You make a point that gets lost in the love affair for one-and-dones. Upperclassmen are so valuable because they know what to do and when to do it.

Reactions: PU52Chevy
I was just trying to express my opinion and to get you to actually express yours instead of ripping on me.

I disagree and feel EB will have a more dominant role than you think...so will Hunter….but I am not going to attack you or say your a drunk.

To each his own opinion....mine is EB will be a big part of the team this year because he is an upperclassman that can be trusted with the ball and is past his injury that slowed him last year.

Hunter will have the confidence to be that scorer he was in High School and take any shot he wants and is confident about.

Just hope you can admit when I am right...…

Be well fellow Boilermaker...….Go Boilers.

Reactions: mathboy

I think this will be a good learning/practice year for Dow. Or, when Painter needs to send a message to the starting bigs, throw Dow on the floor for 5 minutes. He definitely looks the part and has the athleticism, but at the B10 level, recognition/anticipation are really important or you'll get exposed on D. He could be a guy that burns a few fouls on another teams big, tries to get some easy points in transition, grabs a few RBs or just creates a lane presence for the other offense to think about.

I think this will be a good learning/practice year for Dow. Or, when Painter needs to send a message to the starting bigs, throw Dow on the floor for 5 minutes. He definitely looks the part and has the athleticism, but at the B10 level, recognition/anticipation are really important or you'll get exposed on D. He could be a guy that burns a few fouls on another teams big, tries to get some easy points in transition, grabs a few RBs or just creates a lane presence for the other offense to think about.
B1G is a LOOOOONG season. He’ll get a shot at some point.

Reactions: Fansince72
I believe he'll make a great backup this year. I really want to see Tre become a dominant PF rather than center! If that were to happen that would mean Haarms has elevated his game and we would dominate the paint like no other team!

Reactions: oldboiler52
I was just trying to express my opinion and to get you to actually express yours instead of ripping on me.

I disagree and feel EB will have a more dominant role than you think...so will Hunter….but I am not going to attack you or say your a drunk.

To each his own opinion....mine is EB will be a big part of the team this year because he is an upperclassman that can be trusted with the ball and is past his injury that slowed him last year.

Hunter will have the confidence to be that scorer he was in High School and take any shot he wants and is confident about.

Just hope you can admit when I am right...…

Be well fellow Boilermaker...….Go Boilers.
And be well yourself !!

1) the drinking comment was hypothetical ? Hope so. I don't do that. " Ripping ? " No.
2) Hunter will be in the rotation. Just not a top-4 pick to take the key shot/last shot, as you suggested
3) Miles apart on EB's perceived role, this yr. Time will tell.

EB didn't play much last year because there were better, more skilled, more athletic players ahead of him. Those same players are still here.

I don't know how much injuries affected him last year so that may have been a factor but he still played when his number was called unlike Dow who took a medical RS.

If we go with 2 bigs and a wing there might be more minutes for him as a backup but I don't see a huge role for him other than as a leader.

Reactions: Schnelk
EB didn't play much last year because there were better, more skilled, more athletic players ahead of him. Those same players are still here.

I don't know how much injuries affected him last year so that may have been a factor but he still played when his number was called unlike Dow who took a medical RS.

If we go with 2 bigs and a wing there might be more minutes for him as a backup but I don't see a huge role for him other than as a leader.
Ya just not seeing where his minutes come from. And to be frank, i was very unimpressed with him as a player. He continually got abused badly in the paint. We were 6-5 with him playing major minutes. Our winning streak coincided with his injury and subsequently riding the bench.

I believe he'll make a great backup this year. I really want to see Tre become a dominant PF rather than center! If that were to happen that would mean Haarms has elevated his game and we would dominate the paint like no other team!
Speaking of Tre, anyone know if he has continued to shed the pounds? Would be great to get an update.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT