ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump

He wasn't "uninvited" because he wasn't "conservative" enough. He was uninvited because of comments he made about a woman - even though the host of the event has made equally disparaging comments.

The GOP is doing what it can to get rid of him, Fox News included. The Frank Luntz thing after the debate was laughable. They're trying their hardest. The funny thing is that Trump still acts like a moron and they can't get rid of him.

How exactly, are they trying to get rid of him? They report on him and the other candidates, even Bernie, and let you hear them speak. When any candidate says something outrageous, they react to it. If they say something sensible, they react to that as well. I suspect your bias just might be skewing your perceptions.

I will agree, that everyone is surprised he has gained this much traction. At some point, i believe people will start experiencing Trump fatigue and he will fade away (certainly not quietly).

Last edited:
I don't think it's a simple establishment vs. non-establishment candidates. There are some people who think he's not a true Republican - while no one doubts a guy like Ted Cruz being conservative. So I don't think it's as simple as "this person supports a non-establishment person so their support will go to another, very different non-establishment type".

That being said, there are areas where Trump is not a "traditional" conservative that I'm surprised that some of these candidates have not pressed him on. One issue is gun control - in his book, he says he supports an assault weapons ban and longer waiting periods for gun purchases. But where Trump is a bit different than these other candidates is that he's not coming from a political background, where his stances are really established. That book is from 2000. So he can create his own new position (whether it's BS or not is another thing) and people can't say "well 6 months ago you said this…" because he doesn't have a voting record.

Keep in mind, that polls aren't binding, like votes are. I think a lot of people are enjoying the Trump Reality Show and can't wait to hear the next outrageous thing that comes out of his mouth, so they're just not voting him off the island yet. When the Republican field gets cut in half, people will start taking things a bit more seriously. In one way, Trump has been a blessing in disguise for the Reps. More people than ever before are tuning into the Republican debates. That's great visibility for all the candidates.

Keep in mind, that polls aren't binding, like votes are. I think a lot of people are enjoying the Trump Reality Show and can't wait to hear the next outrageous thing that comes out of his mouth, so they're just not voting him off the island yet. When the Republican field gets cut in half, people will start taking things a bit more seriously. In one way, Trump has been a blessing in disguise for the Reps. More people than ever before are tuning into the Republican debates. That's great visibility for all the candidates.

lol so, when Bernie leads in two states (but not remotely in the overall polling) anyone who doesn't see that Hillary is finished is blind.

But when Trump leads in most states, and overall, by a large margin, you can't really trust polling because folks are just having fun.

You're not quite illuminati, but that level of cognitive disconnect crazy is getting close. Your 9% away now, keep pushing the envelope...you'll get to full Ill-crazy.

lol so, when Bernie leads in two states (but not remotely in the overall polling) anyone who doesn't see that Hillary is finished is blind.

But when Trump leads in most states, and overall, by a large margin, you can't really trust polling because folks are just having fun.

You're not quite illuminati, but that level of cognitive disconnect crazy is getting close. Your 9% away now, keep pushing the envelope...you'll get to full Ill-crazy.

As usual, in both cases, you're throwing out distortions of my statements and arguing against yourself, which is typical.

Bernie was down by 20-30 pts about a month ago and he has overtaken Hillary in two states and narrowed the margin significantly in all states, yet you can't seem to understand or acknowledge that Hillary is the Titanic in a pantsuit. With two IGs, the AG and the FBI getting involved in the E-mail investigation, Hillary can't hide behind the Great Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory, that she's used to deflect so many other inquiries into her scandals.

I never once said "you can't trust polling" regarding Trump's lead. That was purely your invention, to try to diminish my position. I merely stated my OPINION of what was occurring with the Trump phenomenon. If I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it.

As usual, in both cases, you're throwing out distortions of my statements and arguing against yourself, which is typical.

Bernie was down by 20-30 pts about a month ago and he has overtaken Hillary in two states and narrowed the margin significantly in all states, yet you can't seem to understand or acknowledge that Hillary is the Titanic in a pantsuit. With two IGs, the AG and the FBI getting involved in the E-mail investigation, Hillary can't hide behind the Great Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory, that she's used to deflect so many other inquiries into her scandals.

I never once said "you can't trust polling" regarding Trump's lead. That was purely your invention, to try to diminish my position. I merely stated my OPINION of what was occurring with the Trump phenomenon. If I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it.

lmao, that last little bit was pure comedy gold. Thanks.

Trump is looked on by most Americans and the rest of the world as a buffoon. Why do many conservatives think he is a conservative. Absolutely not. I believe in the old saying "real champions are humble". There's another old saying "the way you treat people on your way up is how they will treat you on your way down". Trump and Hillary don't match up well on either of those. We need a person of class and high character. I'm hoping that after the Republicans are done brawling and bruising each other they'll realize they need to ask Mitt Romney back in. They should have supported him last time and our standing in the world would be much higher now. And our economy would be humming right now.

Trump is looked on by most Americans and the rest of the world as a buffoon. Why do many conservatives think he is a conservative. Absolutely not. I believe in the old saying "real champions are humble". There's another old saying "the way you treat people on your way up is how they will treat you on your way down". Trump and Hillary don't match up well on either of those. We need a person of class and high character. I'm hoping that after the Republicans are done brawling and bruising each other they'll realize they need to ask Mitt Romney back in. They should have supported him last time and our standing in the world would be much higher now. And our economy would be humming right now.

Trump has become an entertainer, perhaps the second coming of Don Rickles....vbg

I agree with most of what you said, except the part about "many conservatives think he is a conservative". I believe "some" Conservatives may believe he is a Conservative, but most consider him to be a guy with a big ego, tons of money and a desire to get attention. Fortunately, he's been able to bring up a lot of issues, that have been deemed out of bounds in our PC culture. Unfortunately, he's been a loose canon, regarding his characterization of his opponents. I still believe the novelty will wear off and Trump will eventually fall by the wayside. but for the moment. he's bringing a lot of viewers to the debates.

I liked Romney, but his time has come and gone. Unfortunately, the Religious Right stayed home in 2012, because they didn't want to vote for a Mormon. I have several friends, who are kicking themselves for making that foolish decision.

If you combine the bravado of Trump and the lunacy of Carson, #1 and #2 in the polls, I guess you don't get the GOP.

Go figure.

Please explain "the lunacy of Carsen"?[/QUOTE

He is a young earth creationist. He thinks DNA is a hoax.

Your move.

Your move.

Your move.

He says he is NOT a Darwinist, which is different from being a "young earth creationist". He said, "Those of us who believe in God and derive our sense of right and wrong and ethics from God's word really have no difficulty whatsoever defining where our ethics come from. People who believe in survival of the fittest might have more difficulty deriving where their ethics come from. A lot of evolutionists are very ethical people." I do believe in evolution, FWIW.

You'll have to produce something to verify your DNA statement, since I can't find anything to confirm or refute it.

He says he is NOT a Darwinist, which is different from being a "young earth creationist". He said, "Those of us who believe in God and derive our sense of right and wrong and ethics from God's word really have no difficulty whatsoever defining where our ethics come from. People who believe in survival of the fittest might have more difficulty deriving where their ethics come from. A lot of evolutionists are very ethical people." I do believe in evolution, FWIW.

You'll have to produce something to verify your DNA statement, since I can't find anything to confirm or refute it.

I'm sorry. I didn't want to make you look like an idiot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...cement-speech/2012/05/08/gIQAi0vsBU_blog.html

It gets worse. Not only does Carson deny science, he says that ISIS has a greater chance to act more moral than I.

I am worse than ISIS.

Yay religion!

“By believing we are the product of random acts, we eliminate morality and the basis of ethical behavior.” “For if there is no such thing as moral authority, you can do anything you want,” Carson was quoted as saying in the Review. “You make everything relative, and there’s no reason for any of our higher values.”

It is easy to laugh at him, but he is still a legit candidate. Somehow.

ETA: Stick with the single Xanax pre-debate. Doubling up was a bad idea.

Last edited:
That's a really weird position to have. It's one thing to believe that being athiest means you eliminate morality. It's a dumb position, but there's at least some semblance of rational thought there even as it falls apart under any logical examination.

But to say that believing in evolution means you cannot be moral?? So the billion plus Catholics are immoral? Because the Catholic Church has signed on to evolution for awhile now.

The more that guy opens his mouth, the more amazing he becomes.

That's a really weird position to have. It's one thing to believe that being athiest means you eliminate morality. It's a dumb position, but there's at least some semblance of rational thought there even as it falls apart under any logical examination.

But to say that believing in evolution means you cannot be moral?? So the billion plus Catholics are immoral? Because the Catholic Church has signed on to evolution for awhile now.

The more that guy opens his mouth, the more amazing he becomes.

I don't think you listen to enough of the religious spokesmen. Please don't offense to that.

Hugh Hewitt, a CNN moderator for this debate, says the exact same thing. The reason he was chosen was because of the size of his audience. This is a VERY standard view. Evolution=atheist=immoral.

Theistic evolution is a little different than evolution. There is still an entity sticking his finger into the soup and stirring the particles, putting them where he wants them.

Of course morality is an illusion, just like free will, in a universe that is deterministic.

I'll see my way out right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beeazlebub
I don't think you listen to enough of the religious spokesmen. Please don't offense to that.

Hugh Hewitt, a CNN moderator for this debate, says the exact same thing. The reason he was chosen was because of the size of his audience. This is a VERY standard view. Evolution=atheist=immoral.

Theistic evolution is a little different than evolution. There is still an entity sticking his finger into the soup and stirring the particles, putting them where he wants them.

Of course morality is an illusion, just like free will, in a universe that is deterministic.

I'll see my way out right now.

In your mind this may be a very standard view, but I suspect that a very small percentage of the people in the US share your view.

I believe in Evolution, I'm NOT an Atheist and I don't think there is a tie to believing in Evolution and morality.

Regarding your views on Theistic Evolution, can you definitively PROVE, that there isn't an entity/deity sticking his finger in the soup. I've found, that it requires about the same amount of faith to believe there is NO God, as it does to believe, that there is one. I'm an Agnostic. I'll admit, that I don't know for sure.

People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration, and a very effective form of promotion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT