ADVERTISEMENT

Does Okoro Commit tomorrow?

Oregon: 53% to 47% female to male student ratio
Purdue: 57% to 43% male to female student ratio
Illinois: 56.1% to 43.9% male to female student ratio

I'll just leave that there....
Good stats, but not relevant when it comes to D1 college athletes. They get their pick of the 43%. That is plenty from which to choose.

Reactions: chaspark
Male/Female student ratios??
Overall student pop??
Whether or not recruits choose schools based on chicks??

Francis, my man, wtf are these fools talking about?!!?

Okoro_zpso3imn6w9.jpg

Francis says, "let's get back to the topic here pleeeease...me playing in Old Gold and Black!"

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...e-purdue-basketball-official-visit/560919002/
Good article from the Journal & Courier giving a little more information on Okoro's visit. He had a chance to play with some of the returning players and said he left impressed . Also, it mentions that he scored a 32 on his ACT which should give him the flexibility to reclassify if he wants. I guess we will know more tomorrow.

A 32 on his ACT's!? If that is accurate, that is amazing - like 98th percentile amazing! A reclassification would seem much more likely. Really hope we get this guy! Having him available for next season would be even more awesome! Come on Francis!!!! :)

Reactions: DannyGranger
A 32 on his ACT's!? If that is accurate, that is amazing - like 98th percentile amazing! A reclassification would seem much more likely. Really hope we get this guy! Having him available for next season would be even more awesome! Come on Francis!!!! :)

Yeah, that's by far the most impressive thing I've read about him. Including the YouTube clips. Smart fella.

Yeah, that's by far the most impressive thing I've read about him. Including the YouTube clips. Smart fella.
I read some where the challenge is finish 6 classes to become eligible to graduate. The NCAA will certainly take a long look at how he gets that done. Not saying impossible but saying they are gonna look.

The high school my son attends (all boys school with enrollment of 950) had 30 kids score a 30 or better on the ACT this year and eight of them scored a perfect 36. I find that incredible but I don't know the national stats. Sadly, my son was not one of them. If he scored a 32 and plays BB he has a bright future as a player and a person.

Oregon: 53% to 47% female to male student ratio
Purdue: 57% to 43% male to female student ratio
Illinois: 56.1% to 43.9% male to female student ratio

I'll just leave that there....

I'm pretty sure you're joking but do you think any of the athletes have trouble pulling wool? It could be a 90-10 M-F ratio and the athletes would still have plenty of groupies to choose from.

Agreed...but definitely something worth noting, IMO. It is something that I know personally impacted the decisions of some athletes who attended Purdue. I had friends of mine on the football team say they loved Purdue when their visit was here and while digging deeper, were turned off a bit by the low number of women compared to men. Can't discount the increase in numbers of women from a young man's perspective...especially one that I know from first hand accounts to be a rationale while being recruited. I know it isn't the same for everyone...but for those three guys, it was a small part.

Plus it was a bit of sarcasm and humor....

I'm calling bull$hit on your comment about your buddies saying the m-f ratio impacted their decision.

I didn't say athletes have a problem sexually in college....but they mentioned the perception (real or not) about girls on the west coast vs. girls at a place like Purdue.

Have you seen the girls in Oregon?......crunchy, crusty, hairy pits, dreads...not hot.

I'm calling bull$hit on your comment about your buddies saying the m-f ratio impacted their decision.
It didn't impact whether they came or not...but one that they said they looked in to while being recruited....and one they mentioned not liking when they got here. A friend from the East Coast mentioned on some of his visits, he couldn't turn his head without seeing a really, really attractive girl on campus...Purdue, you kind of had to look really, really hard..lol His words, not mine.

I'm pretty sure you're joking but do you think any of the athletes have trouble pulling wool? It could be a 90-10 M-F ratio and the athletes would still have plenty of groupies to choose from.
you mention groupies...doesn't mean that said groupies stack up with the other groupies at other locations....

you mention groupies...doesn't mean that said groupies stack up with the other groupies at other locations....

You know that the ratio of single men to woman in Chicago is like, 60-40? Do you think that has any impact on anyone who has a job offer in Chicago (unless you're other offer is Miami, but at that point, the M-F ratio doesn't matter).
Point is, just like weather, student body sex ratio is way, way down on the list of priorities for top recruits.

You know that the ratio of single men to woman in Chicago is like, 60-40? Do you think that has any impact on anyone who has a job offer in Chicago (unless you're other offer is Miami, but at that point, the M-F ratio doesn't matter).
Point is, just like weather, student body sex ratio is way, way down on the list of priorities for top recruits.
Is this your supposition... Or a valid poll?

You guys act like we’ve just sucked forever, LOL. Is Underwood the guy to bring Illini basketball back to its traditionally winning ways? Not sure. But someone will. It’s not hard to win at Illinois, if history is any indication. Also, I wasn’t trolling, I was just trying to answer that dude’s question.
I think Underwood will make major improvements. I would think his style of play would appeal to the Chicago area quite a bit

I think Underwood will make major improvements. I would think his style of play would appeal to the Chicago area quite a bit
Run and gun with is rarely successful. Fun to play but is a quick way to get a coach fired.

Run and gun with is rarely successful. Fun to play but is a quick way to get a coach fired.
I'm not a run and gun person, but Underwood's offense has a lot to do with his D creating havoc and think Chicago might have a few athletes that would fit in. As much as I hate it...the shot clock leans the game to more individual play

I'm not a run and gun person, but Underwood's offense has a lot to do with his D creating havoc and think Chicago might have a few athletes that would fit in. As much as I hate it...the shot clock leans the game to more individual play

The last 4 years Underwood has only had one defense in the top 100 in KenPom. The "havoc" hasn't worked well at any of his stops as a HC.

The last 4 years Underwood has only had one defense in the top 100 in KenPom. The "havoc" hasn't worked well at any of his stops as a HC.
I have not followed him nor know the talent he has that made up the data you mention. All i know is that months before they played Purdue I predicted they would give Purdue fits with their style. I also mentioned Chicago as I thought players in those areas might be better suited for his style of play. I believe that style of play is attractive to "athletes" in general that may or may not become basketball players. I hope to have time this summer to learn the assumptions behind Kenpom as I have asked questions nobody could answer...like parsing of data? The few times I saw them they fronted the posts all game (who does that all the time) and relied on more individual offensive play. Did he have thew players he needs to do what he wants?

Illinois sits well to recruit and Chicago offers athletes that would thrive in his style day in and day out I believe. I think he will do fine at Ill, but I could be wrong. BTW are D stats effected by poor offense?

wow, just the other day he didn't know if he would reclassify or visit Illinois. Hope Brian's gut is correct and this is just a make sure visit...rather than a last second swing. He has the athleticism for the next level...just needs the skill and we know about skill development at Purdue
When listening to him comment about the visit, that sure seems like what he was saying. I think he could have been asking CMP about some things other coaches had said and wanted to hear from CMP in person...and this is where CMP was able to show him the plan the staff has for him as a 4.

Reactions: tjreese
Oh My! Why so sensitive? I made no comments about academic standards concerning U of I. My only points were addressed to the high number of guys that quit or transferred at the end of the year and the basic direction of the program based on the last 3 years.? I have questions concerning your hire of Underwood-never said anything bad about Whitman or U of I, DUDE....
Lol. I was around when everyone thought Painter was going to Mizzou. This board was 95% good riddance. He got Hummel because Weber is an idiot. He got Swanigan because of the guardian. He luckily got Haas because he was severely under recruited. Stick to the region, they are the only people around who know who to spell Purdue. What is magical about three years?

Lol. I was around when everyone thought Painter was going to Mizzou. This board was 95% good riddance. He got Hummel because Weber is an idiot. He got Swanigan because of the guardian. He luckily got Haas because he was severely under recruited. Stick to the region, they are the only people around who know who to spell Purdue. What is magical about three years?
Carsen Edwards? Let me guess, under recruited? That's called a coaching staff that can identify talent early on in the process. Your program hasn't had a winning conference season (10-8 or better) since 2009-10. That is extremely hard to do, not getting above .500 in at least one of the past eight seasons, and I would imagine you're only among a handful of Power 5 programs in doing so. Pipe down.

Come ON, dude. How was Painter doing at first when he started at Purdue? Also, not trolling, but the academic elitism I sometimes see here toward the University of Illinois of all places seems ... strange. I am not sure what list you guys are looking at, but I have actually never once seen Purdue ranked above Illinois on an overall academic ranking, and I'd wager that Illinois has a better academic reputation to anyone outside of your turf in Indiana... that's not a knock on Purdue, but you really think some kid is going on a visit to U of I and PU and coming away thinking U of I just can't compare to PU academically? That's not living in reality.

I have always liked Purdue and respected the history of the program/the usual politeness and grounded attitude of the fans ... but Illinois has just as much history and things going for it as Purdue. Purdue is currently a more impressive program, but recruits commit to "down" programs all the time, and it wasn't so long ago that you guys were in our shoes trying to sell young men on the idea of bringing Purdue back.

As a huge Purdue fan, this post is spot on.

95%? Your math skills seem to be affirming our doubts concerning Illinois’ academic reputation.

Reactions: mathboy and Schnelk
Oh My! Why so sensitive? I made no comments about academic standards concerning U of I. My only points were addressed to the high number of guys that quit or transferred at the end of the year and the basic direction of the program based on the last 3 years.? I have questions concerning your hire of Underwood-never said anything bad about Whitman or U of I, DUDE....
Wow - you couldn’t be more wrong about a host of subjects if you tried. Starting with the fact that all of Boiler Nation was up in arms over the prospect of Matt leaving for Mizzou. The infamous Nancy Cross letters are all of the proof one needs to understand the pressure the school was facing to keep Painter.
Just because you make crazy ass statements doesn’t make them true. But I do understand your need to say such things. UofI is struggling mightily in both major sports and obviously needs to negative recruit to get out of the conference cellar.

Carsen Edwards? Let me guess, under recruited? That's called a coaching staff that can identify talent early on in the process. Your program hasn't had a winning conference season (10-8 or better) since 2009-10. That is extremely hard to do, not getting above .500 in at least one of the past eight seasons, and I would imagine you're only among a handful of Power 5 programs in doing so. Pipe down.
What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? I doubt Okoro will choose a program based on the conference record over the last 8 seasons.

BTW, Carsen Edwards was under-recruited and under-ranked as a prep player. Edwards is a tremendous collegiate player, but as a 5'10' two-guard, his nba prospects are limited.

Looks like a lot of folks are walking back the reports that he officially reclassified.

Also read some rumblings that he might not make a visit to Illinois and that he potentially never was going to take a visit. Plus Illinois is out of official visits.

Looks like a lot of folks are walking back the reports that he officially reclassified.

Also read some rumblings that he might not make a visit to Illinois and that he potentially never was going to take a visit. Plus Illinois is out of official visits.
This is starting to get weird.. Can we be sure there even is a Francis Okoro?

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? I doubt Okoro will choose a program based on the conference record over the last 8 seasons.

BTW, Carsen Edwards was under-recruited and under-ranked as a prep player. Edwards is a tremendous collegiate player, but as a 5'10' two-guard, his nba prospects are limited.
Actually not having a winning conference record for that long means Illinois has been bad and extremely uninspiring for almost a decade! Under performing and only occasionally showing up when they feel like it. If I was a top recruit, there is no way I am going to play for Illinois. And as far as Carsen is concerned he is 6 foot without shoes, and approximately 6 foot, 1.5 inches with shoes. I agree his height isn't helping him, but being low to the ground gives him some advantages when weaving through a defense. Just my opinion, but if Carsen can improve even more over his sophomore campaign, I think he will be ready for the next level following his much anticipated junior season!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT