ADVERTISEMENT

Does Okoro Commit tomorrow?

Wow, this is feeling like the Curious Case of Sidd Finch and his Tibetan fastball.
It's quite simple. Purdue and Illinois contracted NASA to produce Okoro's AAU film and hired an actor to do the interviews. The whole thing is a ploy to drive enthusiasm for alumni giving campaigns. Think about it. Purdue day of giving was 4/25/18, the same day Okoro supposedly was on campus visiting. Also, there are coded messages in Brian's stories for the illuminati. Don't believe the lies!

Reactions: tjreese and TX4GB
Come ON, dude. How was Painter doing at first when he started at Purdue? Also, not trolling, but the academic elitism I sometimes see here toward the University of Illinois of all places seems ... strange. I am not sure what list you guys are looking at, but I have actually never once seen Purdue ranked above Illinois on an overall academic ranking, and I'd wager that Illinois has a better academic reputation to anyone outside of your turf in Indiana... that's not a knock on Purdue, but you really think some kid is going on a visit to U of I and PU and coming away thinking U of I just can't compare to PU academically? That's not living in reality.

I have always liked Purdue and respected the history of the program/the usual politeness and grounded attitude of the fans ... but Illinois has just as much history and things going for it as Purdue. Purdue is currently a more impressive program, but recruits commit to "down" programs all the time, and it wasn't so long ago that you guys were in our shoes trying to sell young men on the idea of bringing Purdue back.

Late reply, but outside of Illinois and Indiana, I believe the reputation of Purdue's academics will be seen more favorable than UofI.

Simple reason, Purdue is 1 of 2 major universities that are public not associated with any geographic region in the name. Most people outside of the Midwest think Purdue is a private school or ivy league because they don't know where it is. It's just known as a really good school with no geographic region in the name.

Therefore, most think it's private or ivy league.

Not a knock on UofI because I know they have awesome academics. UM also is awesome. However, Purdue will generally have a higher reputation because of the name.

Late reply, but outside of Illinois and Indiana, I believe the reputation of Purdue's academics will be seen more favorable than UofI.

Simple reason, Purdue is 1 of 2 major universities that are public not associated with any geographic region in the name. Most people outside of the Midwest think Purdue is a private school or ivy league because they don't know where it is. It's just known as a really good school with no geographic region in the name.

Not a knock on UofI because I know they have awesome academics. UM also is awesome. However, Purdue will generally have a higher reputation because of the name.

I don't think "most" think that outside of Indiana or Illinois

Reactions: Views

Your post has all the intellectual depth of a 6th grader. Curious as to your research sources or did you think this up all on your own?

There are more than two:

Purdue
Auburn
Rutgers
Clemson
Marshall

There are more than two:

Purdue
Auburn
Rutgers
Clemson
Marshall
Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, Baylor, Rice, Southern Methodist, Tulane, Ball State, Temple, Air Force, Brigham Young, Army, Navy, and Notre Dame.

Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, Baylor, Rice, Southern Methodist, Tulane, Ball State, Temple, Air Force, Brigham Young, Army, Navy, and Notre Dame.
All those besides ball state and the academies are private.... the poster I was responding to was making the point that Purdue's rep is enhanced because people don't know it is public.

All those besides ball state and the academies are private.... the poster I was responding to was making the point that Purdue's rep is enhanced because people don't know it is public.
It's a well known fact that what he stated is true.

Your post has all the intellectual depth of a 6th grader. Curious as to your research sources or did you think this up all on your own?
To some degree there is truth in what Smith said. Purdue has an excellent reputation in the Pacific Northwest, the east coast, and the South East. Purdue engineers are highly respected and well paid in these areas. U of I does not carry the same reputation, although they should. U of I is an excellent school. They just don't have the reputation Purdue does in these highly technical geographic areas. Of course, that can change over time, but in the last 20 years, Purdue engineers have made their mark in aerospace, computers, and chemical/metallurgy.

Reactions: proudopete
There are more than two:

Purdue
Auburn
Rutgers
Clemson
Marshall

Auburn and Clemson reside in towns of the same name. Not sure which was named first but Clemson, SC and Auburn, AL are both their own places to go outside of the universities.

To some degree there is truth in what Smith said. Purdue has an excellent reputation in the Pacific Northwest, the east coast, and the South East. Purdue engineers are highly respected and well paid in these areas. U of I does not carry the same reputation, although they should. U of I is an excellent school. They just don't have the reputation Purdue does in these highly technical geographic areas. Of course, that can change over time, but in the last 20 years, Purdue engineers have made their mark in aerospace, computers, and chemical/metallurgy.
As an Engineer that went to Illinois, that's just incorrect. I get people contacting me all of the time for jobs because my degree has Illinois on it. I got hired right out of college because Illinois has an enormous, respected network of engineers.

Our engineering program is ranked 6th in the nation. Purdue sits right below us at 8th. We're very comparable.

As an Engineer that went to Illinois, that's just incorrect. I get people contacting me all of the time for jobs because my degree has Illinois on it. I got hired right out of college because Illinois has an enormous, respected network of engineers.

Our engineering program is ranked 6th in the nation. Purdue sits right below us at 8th. We're very comparable.
I’ve had very good Illinois engineers on my team. There’s no question it’s a great school. I think the point on reputation is that Purdue is almost singularly known as an engineering school. That’s not a slight to UI but when I tell people I go to Purdue they assume I’m an engineer and that contributes positively to our reputation. Our ARWU and WSJ rankings reflect that because they both take reputation in academia and industry into account. Not coincidentally Purdue ranks higher than Illinois in both. But top to bottom, because of Illinois’ wide liberal arts and professional school offerings, I don’t have an issue with saying Illinois is a better school. Fact of the matter they’re both great schools. However Purdue’s trajectory is clearly on the upswing. Illinois’ state’s financial situation could challenge UI’s long term prospects.

There are more than two:

Purdue
Auburn
Rutgers
Clemson
Marshall
Hold on...did you really just equate Purdue academics with Auburn, Clemson, and Marshall? I'll sort of give you Rutgers because they are in the B1G....but unless I am totally wrong, I've never heard the other three being beacons of innovation, development, and world class academics.

Read my post again. I did not say anything bad about your engineering program. My statement is that it just does not carry the reputation that Purdue does. Jeeze!

Illinois also has an awesome school of music, btw. Almost decided to go there had I gone for music instead of education.

both Illinois AND Purdue are EXCELLENT schools . period. Okoro will get a great education at either one (if he does pick either one that is and not Oregon lol)
What gives the edge (IMO) to Illinois is playing time. I bet Coach Underwood is really selling Okoro on being a starter day one (esp since Leron Black left) . At Purdue, it 'd be a bit more dicey cause you guys have quite a bit of help already in the front court.

Actually not having a winning conference record for that long means Illinois has been bad and extremely uninspiring for almost a decade! Under performing and only occasionally showing up when they feel like it. If I was a top recruit, there is no way I am going to play for Illinois. And as far as Carsen is concerned he is 6 foot without shoes, and approximately 6 foot, 1.5 inches with shoes. I agree his height isn't helping him, but being low to the ground gives him some advantages when weaving through a defense. Just my opinion, but if Carsen can improve even more over his sophomore campaign, I think he will be ready for the next level following his much anticipated junior season!
I don't get your logic. What does the past respective records of Weber and Groce at Illinois have to do with what the current coaching staff might provide a prospect in regards to his potential collegiate career at Illinois?

Last edited:
both Illinois AND Purdue are EXCELLENT schools . period. Okoro will get a great education at either one (if he does pick either one that is and not Oregon lol)
What gives the edge (IMO) to Illinois is playing time. I bet Coach Underwood is really selling Okoro on being a starter day one (esp since Leron Black left) . At Purdue, it 'd be a bit more dicey cause you guys have quite a bit of help already in the front court.

I agree that Underwood is probably making that argument, but a player of Okoro's caliber is getting starter minutes on this Purdue team, too. If we still had Caleb Swanigan or Vince Edwards, it might a different story.

This assumes that none of our current or incoming players surprise us.

Read my post again. I did not say anything bad about your engineering program. My statement is that it just does not carry the reputation that Purdue does. Jeeze!

They're comparable outside of the engineering program as well, and the engineering program is part of the University and the University's reputation. Not that difficult to grasp. I think you're looking through a Purdue-tinted lens here.

Exactly. Rutgers and Purdue are the only 2 schools that are a major university (classify it as you wish based on conference or student population) that are not private or named by a geographic region.

Auburn - city
Clemson - city
Ball State - not a major university; has less than 22,000 total students
Marshall - not a major university; has less than 15,000 total students

When it comes to telling people I graduated from Purdue, I can't even count how many times people thought I went to an Ivy League school. Just a different reputation than UofI due to the lack of knowledge of others, but no real difference in academic excellence at all.

Exactly. Rutgers and Purdue are the only 2 schools that are a major university (classify it as you wish based on conference or student population) that are not private or named by a geographic region.

Auburn - city
Clemson - city
Ball State - not a major university; has less than 22,000 total students
Marshall - not a major university; has less than 15,000 total students

When it comes to telling people I graduated from Purdue, I can't even count how many times people thought I went to an Ivy League school. Just a different reputation than UofI due to the lack of knowledge of others, but no real difference in academic excellence at all.
So what you're saying is that Purdue has a better reputation among those who are ignorant/uneducated and think Purdue is an Ivy league school? I guess I'm ok with that, but I don't think it's as pervasive as you believe.

Either way, they're on equal footing academically, and I really don't think either school has enough leverage in that category that it's going to influence Okoro's decision.

Purdue is known for Engineering. It's highly unlikely that a basketball player will graduate with a degree in Engineering. They just don't have enough time in their schedules for the course work. How many times have we seen athletes commit to Purdue and talk about the Engineering program only for them to eventually graduate with another major? I guarantee you Okoro's decision will not be academically based.

Furthermore, a college degree is really only useful in getting your first job (Maybe 2nd as well depending on how quickly someone switches). After that, job experience, reputation, and networking are all that matters. The company doing the hiring for a position that requires 10 years + experience doesn't give a damn if you went to Purdue, Yale, or Ivy Tech.

The company doing the hiring for a position that requires 10 years + experience doesn't give a damn if you went to Purdue, Yale, or Ivy Tech.
That couldn't be farther from the truth, sorry. If you look at technical jobs especially they prefer someone with a degree and years of experience. And here you get your degree from will matter as well.

Source: I've done hiring of tech people for a long time and read current job postings.

Reactions: mathboy
Furthermore, a college degree is really only useful in getting your first job (Maybe 2nd as well depending on how quickly someone switches). After that, job experience, reputation, and networking are all that matters. The company doing the hiring for a position that requires 10 years + experience doesn't give a damn if you went to Purdue, Yale, or Ivy Tech.
I think this is naive. I'm not sure where you live but I'm in New England and I regularly hire a few dozen folks a year for my team. To think your college doesn't matter is not reality on this side of the country.

Reactions: BBG
This academic discussion is totally inane and irrelevant. As someone who lives an hour from the University of Illinois and not much farther from West Lafayette, whose guardians are both college professors, I can guarantee you that Okoro knows Purdue is not a private Ivy League school.

So what you're saying is that Purdue has a better reputation among those who are ignorant/uneducated and think Purdue is an Ivy league school? I guess I'm ok with that, but I don't think it's as pervasive as you believe.

Either way, they're on equal footing academically, and I really don't think either school has enough leverage in that category that it's going to influence Okoro's decision.

Your words, not mine.

After this long and elaborate defensive front you put up, you go and call others ignorant. Usual internet tough guy.

This academic discussion is totally inane and irrelevant. As someone who lives an hour from the University of Illinois and not much farther from West Lafayette, whose guardians are both college professors, I can guarantee you that Okoro knows Purdue is not a private Ivy League school.
Super. Let him decide which school provides a better basketball developmental opportunity.

Reactions: Roeder

So what you are saying is Purdue has a better reputation.

That couldn't be farther from the truth, sorry. If you look at technical jobs especially they prefer someone with a degree and years of experience. And here you get your degree from will matter as well.

Source: I've done hiring of tech people for a long time and read current job postings.
I hire software developers/consultants all the time. We don't care where they come from as long as they have a proven track record and great reputation in the industry. I've hired good employees from Purdue and poor Employees from Purdue. I've done the same with Ivy Tech.

I think this is naive. I'm not sure where you live but I'm in New England and I regularly hire a few dozen folks a year for my team. To think your college doesn't matter is not reality on this side of the country.
I live in Indiana and I guarantee you we don't give bias to certain colleges.

I had a left-handed whopper once... it was a lot messier than right-handed ones

It takes two hands to handle a Whopper......

[lffa5179708-hortons27n-4-web.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT