ADVERTISEMENT

Does Okoro Commit tomorrow?

Yeah, who would want to be the offensive focal point of a top 25 team? Who would want that many touches?
1) He's not going to be the offensive focal point on your team next season.
2) It doesn't matter what you think about Purdue's system. It matters what he thinks, and he likes that Illinois and Oregon would use him as a rim runner. Rumors around that he isn't sold on his fit in PU's system. Painter's going to have to change that perception for him to choose PU, and it's not a good sign that seems to be the case after your OV.

Not sure why you feel Underwood will succeed based on year 1 results? Also I would be concerned w/ offseason transfers of Finke, Lucas, Smith and Leron Black declare for NBA and sign with an agent?I realize Underwood is known for recruiting and IL should have a top 25 recruiting class every yr simply based on geographic area and talent rich state. But......this is looking like a dumpster fire, so far and even though you say AD Whitman is respected and classy, any IL HS blue chip recruit needs to really take a step back and ask "Is this program really going in right direction"??
Finke and Leron hurt, but the other two weren't good. Look at how little interest they received on the market. We're replacing those two with Ayo. Leron is playing in Europe not the NBA. Underwood is known for his X's and O's, not his recruiting.

1) He's not going to be the offensive focal point on your team next season.
2) It doesn't matter what you think about Purdue's system. It matters what he thinks, and he likes that Illinois and Oregon would use him as a rim runner. Rumors around that he isn't sold on his fit in PU's system. Painter's going to have to change that perception for him to choose PU, and it's not a good sign that seems to be the case after your OV.
I put more stock into what Brian has to say than your "rumors".

Reactions: BBG
I put more stock into what Brian has to say than your "rumors".
Brian has touched on these rumors. Must be some validity to them.

giphy.gif

Brian has touched on these rumors. Must be some validity to them.
Nope. He touched on the negative recruiting that other coaches were telling big men that Purdue throws their big men down in the post. He never even mentioned Okoro being confused on his role at Purdue. You're spending a lot of time here which speaks volumes. What's odd is that you're here beating your chest about a player who hasn't even said he's going to visit your school. We'll all find out in a couple of weeks. Peace!

Nope. He touched on the negative recruiting that other coaches were telling big men that Purdue throws their big men down in the post. He never even mentioned Okoro being confused on his role at Purdue. You're spending a lot of time here which speaks volumes. What's odd is that you're here beating your chest about a player who hasn't even said he's going to visit your school. We'll all find out in a couple of weeks. Peace!
Not beating my chest about anything. Brian mentioned the style of play comments, and Illinois insiders got quotes from Okoro about them. He "loves" to play the way that Oregon and Illinois do, butHe'd have to "adjust" to how Purdue wants him to play. Think that validates what Brian has talked about.

Not beating my chest about anything. Brian mentioned the style of play comments, and Illinois insiders got quotes from Okoro about them. He "loves" to play the way that Oregon and Illinois do, butHe'd have to "adjust" to how Purdue wants him to play. Think that validates what Brian has talked about.
We get it. You don't think he's going to Purdue. Peace!

It boggles my mind to see people fighting over what the RECRUIT thinks, when they know nothing about the guy. I’d love to have Okoro on Purdue roster, and I believe we have a good chance of landing him as so far he has not indicated otherwise. You can put up tons of reasons why he should go to Illinois, Oregon, or Purdue; that isn’t gonna get him. What Okoro likes, he’ll pick, which DOES include the aforementioned three schools right now.

It boggles my mind to see people fighting over what the RECRUIT thinks, when they know nothing about the guy. I’d love to have Okoro on Purdue roster, and I believe we have a good chance of landing him as so far he has not indicated otherwise. You can put up tons of reasons why he should go to Illinois, Oregon, or Purdue; that isn’t gonna get him. What Okoro likes, he’ll pick, which DOES include the aforementioned three schools right now.
Great post, I don't get why some fans become so emotional about recruiting. No one really knows what the kid is really thinking, not even the so-called insiders.

Reactions: chaspark
Great post, I don't get why some fans become so emotional about recruiting. No one really knows what the kid is really thinking, not even the so-called insiders.
Wait a minute - you're telling me that the "Crystal Ball" is crap? :)

Not sure why you feel Underwood will succeed based on year 1 results? Also I would be concerned w/ offseason transfers of Finke, Lucas, Smith and Leron Black declare for NBA and sign with an agent?I realize Underwood is known for recruiting and IL should have a top 25 recruiting class every yr simply based on geographic area and talent rich state. But......this is looking like a dumpster fire, so far and even though you say AD Whitman is respected and classy, any IL HS blue chip recruit needs to really take a step back and ask "Is this program really going in right direction"??
Does Langford announce for Boilers? Wait, they are not in the hunt. Just playing but, gotta be scared of Archie

Wait a minute - you're telling me that the "Crystal Ball" is crap? :)
Not only are Crystal Ball predictions crap, most of the so-called insiders don't have any idea with most kids. What is the incentive for any kid and/or his family to confide in a complete stranger who he most likely won't have any contact with after his commitment?

Last edited:
Does Langford announce for Boilers? Wait, they are not in the hunt. Just playing but, gotta be scared of Archie
Lol, Archie is just a slightly better version of Crean. And maybe with Romeo you can actually make the tourney now. You'll only make it to the round of 32, but hey it's progress! And then when Romeo leaves, you'll be right back in the basement where you belong.

There is nothing about little sister U that 'scares' anyone.

Not only are Crystal Ball predictions crap, most of the so-called insiders don't have any idea with most kids. What is the incentive for any kid and/or his family to confide in a complete stranger who he most likely won't have any contact with after his commitment?

I don’t think most insiders claim they get their info directly from the kid... rather, they get it from 2nd and 3rd level sources. (Ie from talking to the kid’s coach).

A coach could give up info in exchange for more publicity for another prospect.

Not disputing the fact that predictions are often incorrect.

Reactions: Cleanface
How could a top ranked recruit possibly want to go to Oregon, ILL or PU. All of them have crappy weather, non are near a beach and lame night club seen.
I thought those were all prerequisites for landing top players?

Brian went into pretty good detail about this very thing on this morning's radio show. He specifically talked about how other coaches are trying to tell big men that Purdue just throws the ball down in the post. He talked about how it is very easy for Purdue to discredit those negative recruiting tactics...Purdue has done very well with traditional big men as well as bigger 4's who like to step out i.e. Biggie.

This.....

I think as long as CMP is able to get a guy on campus, he'll be able to dispel any sort of negative recruiting tactics other coaches are using. I mean, they can't use much against CMP as he is well liked by current and former players, is a cornerstone of a community that loves him, uses his platform to help causes like cancer and other medical research, has no skeletons in his closet he can't account for (his big bugaboo is a possible affair more than 8 years ago it seems), and is constantly on the forefront of the mouths of coaches/insiders as a coach who is running a clean and damn good program.

CMP is able to, through his use of video, show players like Okoro how he will fit in to the system and how CMP can tailor that system to his strengths AND improve Okoro's abilities to get him to maximize his NBA potential. Literally can point to Carl Landry, AJ Hammons, Isaac Haas, Biggie, Mathias, and a few others on how CMP has done just that. The best feather in his cap is that not only does CMP get guys in the NBA...he gets them big contracts overseas (JJ for example) with their knowledge and versatility.

Come ON, dude. How was Painter doing at first when he started at Purdue? Also, not trolling, but the academic elitism I sometimes see here toward the University of Illinois of all places seems ... strange. I am not sure what list you guys are looking at, but I have actually never once seen Purdue ranked above Illinois on an overall academic ranking, and I'd wager that Illinois has a better academic reputation to anyone outside of your turf in Indiana... that's not a knock on Purdue, but you really think some kid is going on a visit to U of I and PU and coming away thinking U of I just can't compare to PU academically? That's not living in reality.

I have always liked Purdue and respected the history of the program/the usual politeness and grounded attitude of the fans ... but Illinois has just as much history and things going for it as Purdue. Purdue is currently a more impressive program, but recruits commit to "down" programs all the time, and it wasn't so long ago that you guys were in our shoes trying to sell young men on the idea of bringing Purdue back.

How could a top ranked recruit possibly want to go to Oregon, ILL or PU. All of them have crappy weather, non are near a beach and lame night club seen.
I thought those were all prerequisites for landing top players?
Oregon: 53% to 47% female to male student ratio
Purdue: 57% to 43% male to female student ratio
Illinois: 56.1% to 43.9% male to female student ratio

I'll just leave that there....

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Being a fan of Purdue, a traditional B1G power and arguably a historical top 20 program...as a fan I don't fear any team. Purdue, with CMP as coach, should be able to recruit and compete on a yearly basis with any program in the country. Whether it leads to more victories than loses over those programs is inconsequential in my books...because whether the program wins or loses those games will not change my love for it. I, like many other fans, believe that Purdue can win any contest on any given day...and that includes IU's basketball program which hasn't been elite in over 30 years.

Oregon: 53% to 47% female to male student ratio
Purdue: 57% to 43% male to female student ratio
Illinois: 56.1% to 43.9% male to female student ratio

I'll just leave that there....

This is getting silly, but here's my response to that...

Oregon only has 24,000 students, compared to Purdue's 41,000.

So there are about 11,300 women at Oregon. And there are about 17,600 women at Purdue.

Also, an athlete shouldn't have to worry about competition from all those engineers at Purdue.

This is getting silly, but here's my response to that...

Oregon only has 24,000 students, compared to Purdue's 41,000.

So there are about 11,300 women at Oregon. And there are about 17,600 women at Purdue.

Also, an athlete shouldn't have to worry about competition from all those engineers at Purdue.
Agreed...but definitely something worth noting, IMO. It is something that I know personally impacted the decisions of some athletes who attended Purdue. I had friends of mine on the football team say they loved Purdue when their visit was here and while digging deeper, were turned off a bit by the low number of women compared to men. Can't discount the increase in numbers of women from a young man's perspective...especially one that I know from first hand accounts to be a rationale while being recruited. I know it isn't the same for everyone...but for those three guys, it was a small part.

Plus it was a bit of sarcasm and humor....

Come ON, dude. How was Painter doing at first when he started at Purdue? Also, not trolling, but the academic elitism I sometimes see here toward the University of Illinois of all places seems ... strange. I am not sure what list you guys are looking at, but I have actually never once seen Purdue ranked above Illinois on an overall academic ranking, and I'd wager that Illinois has a better academic reputation to anyone outside of your turf in Indiana... that's not a knock on Purdue, but you really think some kid is going on a visit to U of I and PU and coming away thinking U of I just can't compare to PU academically? That's not living in reality.

I have always liked Purdue and respected the history of the program/the usual politeness and grounded attitude of the fans ... but Illinois has just as much history and things going for it as Purdue. Purdue is currently a more impressive program, but recruits commit to "down" programs all the time, and it wasn't so long ago that you guys were in our shoes trying to sell young men on the idea of bringing Purdue back.

Since you asked, Painter made it to 2nd round of NCAA in year 2 at Purdue. His first year, the 2 best players on team had ACL injuries the whole year and it was definitely a rebuild though.

Well here’s one ranking:

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...sities/best-public-universities-united-states

Illinois is a very good school. I doubt anyone on here questions that.

Agreed...but definitely something worth noting, IMO. It is something that I know personally impacted the decisions of some athletes who attended Purdue. I had friends of mine on the football team say they loved Purdue when their visit was here and while digging deeper, were turned off a bit by the low number of women compared to men. Can't discount the increase in numbers of women from a young man's perspective...especially one that I know from first hand accounts to be a rationale while being recruited. I know it isn't the same for everyone...but for those three guys, it was a small part.

Please. If you're a football/basketball player and have trouble getting laid in college, you have issues.

Notre Dame has like 7 attractive female students and they still recruit incredibly well

Reactions: BoilerDeac

I guess it obviously didn't factor in enough to make them go to another school.

I just find it hard to believe that the M:F ratio on a campus could ever sway the decision of someone who is offered a full ride, courted by a major basketball program, is shown the workout/dining/living facilities, and is sold the academic benefits of the school.

It's one of those things that people like to complain about, but it never affected my life.

Please. If you're a football/basketball player and have trouble getting laid in college, you have issues.

Notre Dame has like 7 attractive female students and they still recruit incredibly well
I didn't say athletes have a problem sexually in college....but they mentioned the perception (real or not) about girls on the west coast vs. girls at a place like Purdue.

I also noted that it was a bit of sarcasm and TIC humor...I just tried to relay a bit of information that I know personally about. I said it was a small aspect but one that was mentioned by actual D1 football players in their decisions.

I guess it obviously didn't factor in enough to make them go to another school.

I just find it hard to believe that the M:F ratio on a campus could ever sway the decision of someone who is offered a full ride, courted by a major basketball program, is shown the workout/dining/living facilities, and is sold the academic benefits of the school.

It's one of those things that people like to complain about, but it never affected my life.
This is not humor, but fact. If you polled the sophomore class of football players (II know, this is a BB forum, but there are a lot more FB players) about the things they most dislike about PU... it will be 1. "No Church's fried chicken," and 2. "Can't find yellow rice anywhere to buy." 3. "The women here don't fall down and idolize the FB players." 4. "The FB players have to do homework."

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Wait... I graduated from Purdue in the 70's. You say there are women at Purdue?

Wow. Will wonders ever cease?

Reactions: mathboy
Wait... I graduated from Purdue in the 70's. You say there are women at Purdue?

Wow. Will wonders ever cease? me too. the joke i heard from my non purdue friends was that 90 percent of girls in the us were cute and the other 10 percent went to purdue. i must have been lucky as i found quite a few cute girls.

I didn't say athletes have a problem sexually in college....but they mentioned the perception (real or not) about girls on the west coast vs. girls at a place like Purdue.

In my humble opinion, if you are an athlete and you actually need the girls to worship you in order to get laid, you have a whole different problem on your hands.

Girls at places like Purdue might not worship athletes, but they still like them better than Howard Wolowitzes of the world.

In my humble opinion, if you are an athlete and you actually need the girls to worship you in order to get laid, you have a whole different problem on your hands.

Girls at places like Purdue might not worship athletes, but they still like them better than Howard Wolowitzes of the world.

Funny that I knew a girl at Purdue that was a doppelganger for Bernadette Rostankowski.

Capable X's and O's guy but shot himself in the foot repeatedly with roster assembly. He deserved to be fired given his lack of success his last 5 seasons. I don't like how Mike Thomas (the AD who lasted much shorter than Weber) handled it.

I'd say he was a bit unlucky and overconfident in the Illinois name when he got the job.. Missed on some big targets but more so on guys that should have been plan B. and C. guys.

Illinois admittedly isn't the easiest school to recruit at (he should have been able to after a national championship) but he made it harder than it should have been. Not the right personality for the job IMO.

But, again, the AD that canned him is gone. Josh Whitman, our AD now, is a very well respected person and his pinky toe has more class than Mike Thomas had.
Josh played baseball for me when he was 7-12 was a good catcher just wouldn't stop growing .

Lol, Archie is just a slightly better version of Crean. And maybe with Romeo you can actually make the tourney now. You'll only make it to the round of 32, but hey it's progress! And then when Romeo leaves, you'll be right back in the basement where you belong.

There is nothing about little sister U that 'scares' anyone.
You're actually talking ncaa tourney smack?? Painter hasn't been able to get any of his very best teams past the sweet 16.

IU fires coaches for that...even when they win BIG titles. Heck, even our young coach has coached a team further than your program has been since 1980.

Easy to criticize IU for Crean, Sampson, and Davis. IU fans did that in droves. But for a Purdue fan to talk about NCAA tournament failures of other programs.... Well, that's just funny.

This is not humor, but fact. If you polled the sophomore class of football players (II know, this is a BB forum, but there are a lot more FB players) about the things they most dislike about PU... it will be 1. "No Church's fried chicken," and 2. "Can't find yellow rice anywhere to buy." 3. "The women here don't fall down and idolize the FB players." 4. "The FB players have to do homework."
If they want more female attention they can get there by being on a winning team consistently.

If they want more female attention they can get there by being on a winning team consistently.
true, but reality is that FB will never be what it is in FL/GA .... the whole culture is so very different regarding education and athletes and male/female .... IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT