ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings/NIL

Any young person's chance of success in any field goes up significantly when they have a solid infrastructure around them. Teenagers don't have the real life experience to always make solid decisions on their own. They like the shiny brass ring. They are gullible and can't always see through the "hustle". Sounds like Catchings has a solid base. Purdue has some experience with players whose infrastructure may have been lacking. Nojel and "the recruit that got away" are prime examples of players who needed a better supporting cast.

Purdue will move on regardless, but this is not a commitment Purdue wants to lose. The upside with this young man appears to be tremendous.
If he’s tremendous, he’s a 1 year player. I’m not against it but it’s not worth bending over backwards for these kids IMO. Just my opinion though and ultimately I do want Catchings here.

Just don’t see a lot of teams loaded with 1 and downs doing very well. Regular season, tourney, etc. Mostly the same with a team like Duke or Kentucky or even Kansas this year loaded down with Burger boys and car/rent/NIL payments

Reactions: oldboiler52
It would SUCK to lose Catchings. Devastating. I would be totally rocked. However... please don't attack the kid no matter what he decides. No high school kid trying to decide his future owes anything to anyone. I would LOVE to see him at Purdue SO badly, but do what you feel is best. I will only say to a 5 Star like Catchings... COME TO PURDUE... be a generational hero that finally helps Purdue get over their tournament funk.

Carry on. Also, wow, IU Fans suck. lololol

If he’s tremendous, he’s a 1 year player. I’m not against it but it’s not worth bending over backwards for these kids IMO. Just my opinion though and ultimately I do want Catchings here.

Just don’t see a lot of teams loaded with 1 and downs doing very well. Regular season, tourney, etc. Mostly the same with a team like Duke or Kentucky or even Kansas this year loaded down with Burger boys and car/rent/NIL payments

Having a talented one and done has nothing to do with how far you do or don't go in the tournament. Any team would take a kid like Grady Dick, Hood Schifino, etc any day of the week and be happy to bend over backwards to get them...

You're turd. Just like your claim:
Rumors flying. Supposedly decommited from PUke. Wants IU.

Just head back to your trailer in Newburgh and join a gym to lose some of that pudge.
Thanks poop. I’ll take it under consideration. This isn’t over by a long shot.

Ha! That's a good one.
What’s wrong with my statement? Transfer portal has a ton of good players in it, is that not correct? Purdue going after these types is another story, eventually I think Painter does, right now he’s being loyal to kids that are sticking around the program, that won’t happen every year. I would love Catchings to come to Purdue, however, the kid is a Jr in High School, if he backs out I’m good with it, he hasn’t signed anything.

What’s wrong with my statement? Transfer portal has a ton of good players in it, is that not correct? Purdue going after these types is another story, eventually I think Painter does, right now he’s being loyal to kids that are sticking around the program, that won’t happen every year. I would love Catchings to come to Purdue, however, the kid is a Jr in High School, if he backs out I’m good with it, he hasn’t signed anything.

Have you been watching who Purdue has been able and not able to get in the transfer portal? The only way we're getting a 4 or 5 star player is recruiting them out of high school. Purdue has fumbled NIL and its one of the reasons why Catchings is likely decommitting at some point and why we're not getting players like Cryer in the transfer portal...

Reactions: bonefish1
Have you been watching who Purdue has been able and not able to get in the transfer portal? The only way we're getting a 4 or 5 star player is recruiting them out of high school. Purdue has fumbled NIL and its one of the reasons why Catchings is likely decommitting at some point and why we're not getting players like Cryer in the transfer portal...
Jesus.....Nostradamus. He hasn't decommitted, yet. He could, but I'm not calling anything until it's true. There will be IU/Purdue fans that will pump their chest if he does, but let it play out.

I for one hope he doesn't. He's also replaceable and that's exactly why "some" athlete's tend to act the way they do.

Jesus.....Nostradamus. He hasn't decommitted, yet. He could, but I'm not calling anything until it's true. There will be IU/Purdue fans that will pump their chest if he does, but let it play out.

I for one hope he doesn't. He's also replaceable and that's exactly why "some" athlete's tend to act the way they do.

I obviously hope he doesn't. But based on the fact that he wanted to open up his recruiting again, and got talked out of it by family and Purdue, leads me to believe he's not all in. We'll see what happens.

As for the NIL and the transfer portal and elite players, it appears the reason Purdue is missing out on all these 5 star recruits is simply because Painter is not trying to recruit them. Look at the current 5 star high school recruits and top 50 players. How many of them did Painter actually give an offer to or try to recruit? Maybe 20% at most! How many of the top elite transfer players did Painter actually try to recruit? Maybe 5?

Purdue is not missing out because of the NIL. We’re missing out simply because Painter is interested in recruiting different players. Painter is recruiting certain players. He’s not interested in recruiting all of the 5 star players who are available!

Rather than constantly complaining about the NIL, you should give more attention to the type of players Painter is actually recruiting. He has an eye for talent but there are just certain player types that interest him. He has a certain type of offense and defense he likes to play and he looks for players that fit his system.

A question to ask, will Painter ever adopt his system to match and take advantage of a player’s talents? Will Painter ever change his system to one that would be more effective in the dance? Painter laments about the type of players Purdue needs, but I rarely see him actually going hard after that type of player and trying to recruit them!

Knew this would happen. This is what happens when you keep losing to double digit seeds in March.

Pathetic, but predictable.

He's not decommitting.
A question to ask, will Painter ever adopt his system to match and take advantage of a player’s talents? Will Painter ever change his system to one that would be more effective in the dance? Painter laments about the type of players Purdue needs, but I rarely see him actually going hard after that type of player and trying to recruit them!

If you have to ask if Painter will change his system to match his players I don't think you know enough to even ask that question.

Painter has been quite effective in the NCAAT - 2 of the last 3 years were bad but every program who consistently makes the NCAAT has those stretches. Duke did, Kansas did, Arizona is currently having its own rough stretch, Kentucky also.

He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter has been quite effective in the NCAAT - 2 of the last 3 years were bad but every program who consistently makes the NCAAT has those stretches. Duke did, Kansas did, Arizona is currently having its own rough stretch, Kentucky also
A. He has hardly been "quite effective" in the NCAAT. He's been ok at best.

2. For the one billionth time, Yes every program that consistently makes the dance has those streches. See if you can figure out what else they have that we don't.

A. He has hardly been "quite effective" in the NCAAT. He's been ok at best.

2. For the one billionth time, Yes every program that consistently makes the dance has those streches. See if you can figure out what else they have that we don't.

Because that makes a difference... how? So it's OK to lose to a 15 seed if you won a title in your school's history? That nonsensical. So if IU were to get a 1 seed and lose to the 16 seed it is not as bad for them as for us because of 1987? It's bad, no one is arguing it isn't,

And yes Painter IS pretty good in the NCAAT, there aren't many coaches who can match his record. Instead of 4 sweet 16s the last 6 tourneys it was just a single final 4 and no other wins does that make him a better tournament coach?

Because that makes a difference... how? So it's OK to lose to a 15 seed if you won a title in your school's history? That nonsensical. So if IU were to get a 1 seed and lose to the 16 seed it is not as bad for them as for us because of 1987? It's bad, no one is arguing it isn't,

And yes Painter IS pretty good in the NCAAT, there aren't many coaches who can match his record. Instead of 4 sweet 16s the last 6 tourneys it was just a single final 4 and no other wins does that make him a better tournament coach?
1. Iu? No. Those schools you listed? Yes. It's not ancient history for them.

2. So now hes "pretty good". Thats different than "quite effective ".
Basically asking would you rather be UVa. Better coach? No. But I'd rather have the 1 title.

He's not decommitting.

If you have to ask if Painter will change his system to match his players I don't think you know enough to even ask that question.

Painter has been quite effective in the NCAAT - 2 of the last 3 years were bad but every program who consistently makes the NCAAT has those stretches. Duke did, Kansas did, Arizona is currently having its own rough stretch, Kentucky also.

He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role.
"He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role."

Losing the only athletic player we have (Newman) and replacing it with a Mid-Major player is not an "upgrade".

1. Iu? No. Those schools you listed? Yes. It's not ancient history for them.

2. So now hes "pretty good". Thats different than "quite effective ".
Basically asking would you rather be UVa. Better coach? No. But I'd rather have the 1 title.

I am equating pretty good and quite effective as the same.

Arizona's title was 25 years ago now so what's the cutoff? You are just making arbitrary arguments. MSU has plenty of losses in their NCAAT history but since they won a title 23 years ago all is well?

I didn't say title - I said final four. I would much rather have a title than 4 sweet 16s. But people complain because Painter can't reach the "final four" as if that really matters. That is the bonefish argument that Shaka Smart is a better coach because he had that one final four years ago and has maybe 2 NCAAT wins since.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Yes, I see what’s happening. However, do we know that Painter is actually making a play for these guys? Purdue isn’t really losing anyone, Painter is loyal, I don’t think he’s going to overrecruit on his guys. I’m not saying it’s right but it seems like that’s whats happening. I think there comes a time when he’ll have to change this philosophy, might be as early as next off-season.

Correct, not related at all. Also, I’m sorry, Newman was/is a flawed player, he was here 4 years, it was time for him to move on to another program.
To add to this, Jones is a completely different player. From what I have seen, Jones is strong to rack and can handle the rock. Sounds like a pretty good fit for the role is going to be asked to play.

Knights and day here causing everyone to be upset.

It's fairly ridiculous the 16 half eaten bag of peanuts were lost in the NIL offer.

NIL is catchings fire, don't be derailed.

To add to this, Jones is a completely different player. From what I have seen, Jones is strong to rack and can handle the rock. Sounds like a pretty good fit for the role is going to be asked to play.
I’ve posted that I watched him 2-3 times this past season, FanDuel had me betting on SIU unders lol. Anyway, I liked his game, was a really good downhill scorer that played great defense. I think he’s a much better fit than Jenkins who I liked as well.

"He said we needed more athleticism and immediately got a guy who upgrades our athleticism. He wasn't a "top" transfer but fits a need and fills a role."

Losing the only athletic player we have (Newman) and replacing it with a Mid-Major player is not an "upgrade".
I would not exactly characterize Newman as being athletic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT