ADVERTISEMENT

Camden Heide commits to Purdue

As some of my fellow board members, know......I'm a young "Boomer" and also a "Nerd" and pretty damn proud of it. But you can call me "Tex" or "Crazy" or whatever the hell you want.....just kindly watch where you're walking......it hasn't settled in yet......a delicate cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia.

Anyway, welcome, Mr. Hide.....ummmm....Hyde.......errrr Heide.

In any spelling......Boiler Up, my friends.

Crouch-Revenge-of-the-Nerds.jpg

giphy.gif

Careful with the Boomer talk. I'm not quite a Boomer (same age as pat1969), but I would put 100% of my weekly salary on the old guys when it came to a grammar, punctuation and spelling competition.

It's been my experience in the corporate world and on a lot of different forums that spelling, punctuation and grammar are lost arts.

For sure. I had a box of old stuff and showed my slide rule to my youngest daughter (28 years old), and she couldn't believe we actually used just a thing.
In Freshman Chemistry (1972), we took our exams in the Hall of Music, using lapboards, with slide rules. Pocket calculators were becoming available, but because they were expensive (I think my HP ran around $450), and not everyone could afford one, we all used slide rules.

In Freshman Chemistry (1972), we took our exams in the Hall of Music, using lapboards, with slide rules. Pocket calculators were becoming available, but because they were expensive (I think my HP ran around $450), and not everyone could afford one, we all used slide rules.
And today HS grads can't figure out how to make change!

Careful with the Boomer talk. I'm not quite a Boomer (same age as pat1969), but I would put 100% of my weekly salary on the old guys when it came to a grammar, punctuation and spelling competition.

It's been my experience in the corporate world and on a lot of different forums that spelling, punctuation and grammar are lost arts.
I agree and not only that, but people can’t make change. Just today my bill was $12.43 and I gave the girl $20.43. She was lost and confused and gave me back $8.20. Just shook my head and walked away.

I agree and not only that, but people can’t make change. Just today my bill was $12.43 and I gave the girl $20.43. She was lost and confused and gave me back $8.20. Just shook my head and walked away.
That happens too often.

I cringe when I'm standing there, carrying too many ones in my money clip. If the bill is $11 and I pay with a twenty and a one, I just get blank looks.

I worked retail putting myself through Purdue, and you get pretty quick with basic math.

That happens too often.

I cringe when I'm standing there, carrying too many ones in my money clip. If the bill is $11 and I pay with a twenty and a one, I just get blank looks.

I worked retail putting myself through Purdue, and you get pretty quick with basic math.
Being an engineer in a management role at work prior to retirement, the craziest thing is when younger people in finance, marketing, etc have no idea how to troubleshoot spreadsheets to understand whether the number being spit out from formulas is directionally correct or not. They will literally be searching for nickels when their answer is off by thousands. I just had to sit there and shake my head at the lack of fundamentals.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I hate to break it to you guys but today's under 60 crowd doesn't use cash anymore. People use credit and debit cards for everyday transaction and payments between individuals are done through cash apps like Venmo, Cash App, Pay Pal, Google Pay and Zelle. My wife gave me $50 bucks to play golf last October and I still had it in my wallet 6 months later. A month or two ago I spent it and have had $0 in my wallet for the last month. Went to play tennis at an old school type place and they only took checks or cash. I didn't have any so I had to Venmo $18 to a very nice elderly lady behind the counter and she put the money in the till for me.

Thats just life in 2021.

I hate to break it to you guys but today's under 60 crowd doesn't use cash anymore. People use credit and debit cards for everyday transaction and payments between individuals are done through cash apps like Venmo, Cash App, Pay Pal, Google Pay and Zelle. My wife gave me $50 bucks to play golf last October and I still had it in my wallet 6 months later. A month or two ago I spent it and have had $0 in my wallet for the last month. Went to play tennis at an old school type place and they only took checks or cash. I didn't have any so I had to Venmo $18 to a very nice elderly lady behind the counter and she put the money in the till for me.

Thats just life in 2021.
I see students using it at high school football, basketball, and baseball games for tickets and the concession stand. I see people use it for fast food, the fair, garage sales, the grocery store, and retail stores. Don’t know where you live, but I see it a lot still by people under 60.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Boomers went to school when you learned to spell or were criticized or shamed by old brutal teachers. Not like today where every kid gets a trophy and hug for showing up for school.
Toughts from someone > 60 years old:

C'mon guys. If it's one thing I know for sure, boomers have a better sense of humor than the generations that follow. Someone who thinks calling me a boomer is an insult is funny to me, so I go with the joke. You might as well accuse me of being straight. Yep. That's me. A straight boomer.

Yeah, I had to undergo multiple disciplinary sessions in school at the business end of a paddle. Then I got it worse at home. Didn't seem to help. Or maybe it kept me from spending in prison the time that turned out to be my most productive years, which includes the present.

Boomers think grammar and mathematics are important. They represent structure and dicipline and a common way to communicate. But apparently it's too it's just too hard to learn. And really, who needs to understand basic arithmetic when thay have a debit card?

The most obvious sign that I have seen that cash is not used like it once was is that people no longer keep a quarter on them in case they have to use a pay phone. But honestly, you should always have some cash tucked away in your wallet. Oh, and you should always have a couple of extra rolls of toilet paper under your vanity or in your pantry. Don't make me have to explain that to you, youngsters.

;)

Being an engineer in a management role at work prior to retirement, the craziest thing is when younger people in finance, marketing, etc have no idea how to troubleshoot spreadsheets to understand whether the number being spit out from formulas is directionally correct or not. They will literally be searching for nickels when their answer is off by thousands. I just had to sit there and shake my head at the lack of fundamentals.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969

Thats just life in 2021.
I literally have not carried or possessed any cash for 6 years. My wife likes the green stuff and always has some in her purse, but I carry a card wallet with a debit card, a couple of credit cards and my license. I will never go back to cash.

Toughts from someone > 60 years old:

C'mon guys. If it's one thing I know for sure, boomers have a better sense of humor than the generations that follow. Someone who thinks calling me a boomer is an insult is funny to me, so I go with the joke. You might as well accuse me of being straight. Yep. That's me. A straight boomer.

Yeah, I had to undergo multiple disciplinary sessions in school at the business end of a paddle. Then I got it worse at home. Didn't seem to help. Or maybe it kept me from spending in prison the time that turned out to be my most productive years, which includes the present.

Boomers think grammar and mathematics are important. They represent structure and dicipline and a common way to communicate. But apparently it's too it's just too hard to learn. And really, who needs to understand basic arithmetic when thay have a debit card?

The most obvious sign that I have seen that cash is not used like it once was is that people no longer keep a quarter on them in case they have to use a pay phone. But honestly, you should always have some cash tucked away in your wallet. Oh, and you should always have a couple of extra rolls of toilet paper under your vanity or in your pantry. Don't make me have to explain that to you, youngsters.

;)
Where do you see any pay phones?

I literally have not carried or possessed any cash for 6 years. My wife likes the green stuff and always has some in her purse, but I carry a card wallet with a debit card, a couple of credit cards and my license. I will never go back to cash.
When you eat at small family restaurants that don't take credit or debit, you learn to take cash with you. Pretty simple...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT