ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Furst

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
I don’t see a lot of conversation about this kid. I was watching some highlights and he looks terrific. I was sort of comparing him to Kaufman. They are both good players, but it’s hard to judge from highlight vids because only the good stuff is included. I would love to get both, but I suspect that ship has sailed. They would make a great combination on the court at the same time.

He should come in in Tre Williams last year, I think, and play a few years with Ivey and Morton. That is going to be a terrific team!

Right! It’s basketball, right? Two (2) guards, two (2) forwards and a center. Kaufman and Furst at forward. Cmon guys. Get it together. Boiler Up.

Reactions: Inspector100
I don't know much about Furst. What can I expect? I know he is pretty athletic for a big man. Can he shoot the three?

I think he'll only be here 2 or 3 years at the most. Very mobile, athletic big with a nice skill set. Seems like a good fit for the NBA.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Yea wish the guys who have seen him live would coment.....from highlights seems to be the most ready around the basket with moves and quickness to get things done there in short game out to mid range.

Every time CMP recruits a top 40 "type talent" we have a B10 champ and NCAA tournament competitive team so looking forward to tbe future.

Well rounded kid with great parents. Obviously, is well coached. Plays within his game and doesn't try to overlook teammates. I believe with him and the 20' addition this team could win a B1G title. He plays well from 15'-20' in and has very quick feet. He could be better than Biggie because of his athletic ability.

Well rounded kid with great parents. Obviously, is well coached. Plays within his game and doesn't try to overlook teammates. I believe with him and the 20' addition this team could win a B1G title. He plays well from 15'-20' in and has very quick feet. He could be better than Biggie because of his athletic ability.
If he's better than swanigan he'll win national player of the year. Caleb finished second to the kid from Kansas.

If he's better than swanigan he'll win national player of the year. Caleb finished second to the kid from Kansas.
Imo he could be better. I love Biggie, he was a beast and had the drive to get better every day. Frank Mason was a 2nd rounder and Biggie was borderline second rounder. He doesn't have to be the NPOY to be better.

Last edited:
Imo he could be better. I love Biggie, he was a beast and had the drive to get better every day. Frank Mason was a 2nd rounder and Biggie was borderline second rounder. He doesn't have to be the NPOY to be better.
Where a kids gets drafted is a poor way of evaluating how good they were in college. Furst definitely could end up getting drafted higher than either player. That doesn't mean he will have automatically had a better college career than either. Both were first team AA's. Furst will have to put up some absolutely insane numbers to surpass swanigan's college production.

Where a kids gets drafted is a poor way of evaluating how good they were in college. Furst definitely could end up getting drafted higher than either player. That doesn't mean he will have automatically had a better college career than either. Both were first team AA's. Furst will have to put up some absolutely insane numbers to surpass swanigan's college production.
I get what you're saying, but tell that to a kid wanting to be in the NBA.

I think he'll only be here 2 or 3 years at the most. Very mobile, athletic big with a nice skill set. Seems like a good fit for the NBA.
I'd need to check the stats, but I believe only 3 or fewer juniors have been taken in the past several drafts. My inclination is that he is either gone after two, or here for four.

I'd need to check the stats, but I believe only 3 or fewer juniors have been taken in the past several drafts. My inclination is that he is either gone after two, or here for four.
Well, carsen was a junior when he got drafted. You may be right, I could see not a lot a of juniors getting drafted. I have no idea though. Only a few(3?) getting drafted over the past several drafts would be surprising though.

Well, carsen was a junior when he got drafted. You may be right, I could see not a lot a of juniors getting drafted. I have no idea though. Only a few(3?) getting drafted over the past several drafts would be surprising though.
I meant per/year ... not total.

"He should be a near double-double threat from the moment he steps on campus, and has the work ethic, skill, toughness, and motor to be someone who produces all-league seasons as an upperclassman. Furst isn't the most explosive athlete, but is capable when given a runway to finish above the rim." That quote is from 247 sports. Furst will most likely by a 4 year player IMO.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
BN did a good briefing on him the past few days. I would compare his game to TJD from IU. I think they are comparable athletically. I think they both want to play around the basket more than away from it.

BN says that he checks all the boxes: ball handling, shooting, passing and defense. I personally think he’ll play 4 years. I am not sure that he’s the elite athlete some are. Good athlete.... maybe not NBA for a while.

Furst is a lot stronger and has a much better jumper than Davis for iu.

Furst is a lot stronger and has a much better jumper than Davis for iu.

That’s possible. JD was a 5 star as a recruit and IU’s best player. If he’s as good, I’ll be fine with it. I just think they have similar games.

Furst seems to me like a guy that is really good 15ft and in. Can shoot well, but isn’t a 3 point guy YET.

Furst is probably taller pushing 6’10. JD is more like 6’8” maybe not the best comparison ever but similar styles

He don't pussy foot around...….

I had been really happy to have Furst coming to Purdue but watching this video has given a perspective on the kid that is not entirely positive.

He seems to be a very selfish player- he finishes well (very well, it seems) thru contact but does not allow anyone else to do the same. Is this what we want for our program?

(tic, just to clear up any possible confusion)

I had been really happy to have Furst coming to Purdue but watching this video has given a perspective on the kid that is not entirely positive.

He seems to be a very selfish player- he finishes well (very well, it seems) thru contact but does not allow anyone else to do the same. Is this what we want for our program?

I heard he's already hogging all the ball racks. Now what are they gonna throw in practice? Wrenches? That's the wrong game man.

He looks to be much better than Biggie in his shot blocking ability. He gets up and down the floor better too. The only thing that I see where Biggie was better is in rebounding. Biggie was tenacious on the glass.

He looks to be much better than Biggie in his shot blocking ability. He gets up and down the floor better too. The only thing that I see where Biggie was better is in rebounding. Biggie was tenacious on the glass.

I am encouraged by his game. It looks as though he can do a bit of everything. He’s 6’9ish and has lots of skills. BN says that he’s not necessarily going to blow us out of the water with athleticism.... paraphrasing. Not saying he’s a bad athlete, but won’t be a freak athlete either.

I would say that he’ll look like Jackson-Davis. He’ll be damn good. But I think he’ll stay 4 years. His NBA future will depend on a 3 point shot that he developed at Purdue.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I think Ethan Morton will make him look very good .

Yes, and if young Mr. Furst develops his consistent/reliable long-range game, he'll make Ethan Morton and all his other teammates look just marvelous.

447mlj.gif

Yea wish the guys who have seen him live would coment.....from highlights seems to be the most ready around the basket with moves and quickness to get things done there in short game out to mid range.

Every time CMP recruits a top 40 "type talent" we have a B10 champ and NCAA tournament competitive team so looking forward to tbe future.
I have seen him live but wasn't watching him so much it was the Jaden Ivey show I was there to see . I have however seen him play online numerus times with the Indy Heat and a few games from this past high school season . Two very different styles of play . When I watched him play AAU he was always playing up a year or two that matters . He is a good teammate and always knows where to be . Great players see more of the court . The guy does have some Biggie to his game mainly playing physical . He takes good shots if you back off of him he normally will take what you give him out to about 15 ft . In high school games he shot 68 % from the field ! Averaged 22pts 13rbs and 4ast. He simply could not be stopped a huge mismatch .He is not a FOUR he is a five. A very mobile five but a five none the less . Can he go to the NBA hell yes ! Is he a special player no doubt . Is he a four year player unlikely IMO may get only one year . Ethan Morton's game and his are similar hard to explain but if I tried I would use these words ( Physical, Smart, Hardnosed, Determined and Will to Win ) . Cody Zeller would be my closest comparison IMO no one else comes as close . I should see a lot of him this summer grandson playing in a few of the same venues although 12 and 13U .

I have seen him live but wasn't watching him so much it was the Jaden Ivey show I was there to see . I have however seen him play online numerus times with the Indy Heat and a few games from this past high school season . Two very different styles of play . When I watched him play AAU he was always playing up a year or two that matters . He is a good teammate and always knows where to be . Great players see more of the court . The guy does have some Biggie to his game mainly playing physical . He takes good shots if you back off of him he normally will take what you give him out to about 15 ft . In high school games he shot 68 % from the field ! Averaged 22pts 13rbs and 4ast. He simply could not be stopped a huge mismatch .He is not a FOUR he is a five. A very mobile five but a five none the less . Can he go to the NBA hell yes ! Is he a special player no doubt . Is he a four year player unlikely IMO may get only one year . Ethan Morton's game and his are similar hard to explain but if I tried I would use these words ( Physical, Smart, Hardnosed, Determined and Will to Win ) . Cody Zeller would be my closest comparison IMO no one else comes as close . I should see a lot of him this summer grandson playing in a few of the same venues although 12 and 13U .

Good info thanks. Agree on all......But rare a player ranked 30-40 range is a OAD or even 2 year player.

You can't be serious. You're not the least bit funny. He's going to be a great team mate, all B10, Purdue ambassador.

You can't be serious. You're not the least bit funny. He's going to be a great team mate, all B10, Purdue ambassador.
I assume the TIC (tongue in cheek) means he's playing with it, but any more who in the hell knows?:)

I have seen Furst play several times at BH. If he is a OAD I will be very surprised. Doesn't have NBA athleticism at this time. Don't disagree that he is going to be a great player for us and I'm thrilled CMP landed him. Just isn't a OAD IMO.

Reactions: PurduePete98
Either I missed the tic or he edited it in later. It's an odd way for a Purdue fan to get a laugh either way. Peace! Everybody have a great rest of your weekend.

it was in the original post and I sat debating whether it would really be needed as I thought the sarcasm was obvious. I guess it was necessary after all.

His play, film and experts’ analysis reminds me he has the same game and potential as Frank the Tank of UW fame. Frank had a tremendous college career and also led his team to tremendous heights!

I have seen Furst play several times at BH. If he is a OAD I will be very surprised. Doesn't have NBA athleticism at this time. Don't disagree that he is going to be a great player for us and I'm thrilled CMP landed him. Just isn't a OAD IMO.
Big men are hard to project but for me he checks all the boxes .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT