ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

I have a question about bringing Haarms onto campus in mid stream this year, if it was beneficial to his development. Yes, I know the reason why it was done as he would have lost a year of eligibility if he stayed at his prep school.

He has gained the opportunity to train and practice with the Boilers. And he's learning the plays and everything. And scrimmaging against Haas and Swanigan which is great. And he has acclimated himself academically to Purdue which is also good.

But for all these good things, He has basically not played competitive basketball in almost an entire year. I read once about a player rehabbing from an injury. It might have been about Kobe. There is a huge difference in being physically ready to play, and being basketball ready to play. The same applies to NBA rookies in that it's better for them to get game experience and play in the developmental league than to sit at the end of the bench and just watch and never play. I am led to wonder how much rust has taken over Haarms, and how much it will take to elevate his game back to where it was. I feel Epperson, by playing this year, will be more ready to compete and contribute than. Haarms will.

I have a question about bringing Haarms onto campus in mid stream this year, if it was beneficial to his development. Yes, I know the reason why it was done as he would have lost a year of eligibility if he stayed at his prep school.

He has gained the opportunity to train and practice with the Boilers. And he's learning the plays and everything. And scrimmaging against Haas and Swanigan which is great. And he has acclimated himself academically to Purdue which is also good.

But for all these good things, He has basically not played competitive basketball in almost an entire year. I read once about a player rehabbing from an injury. It might have been about Kobe. There is a huge difference in being physically ready to play, and being basketball ready to play. The same applies to NBA rookies in that it's better for them to get game experience and play in the developmental league than to sit at the end of the bench and just watch and never play. I am led to wonder how much rust has taken over Haarms, and how much it will take to elevate his game back to where it was. I feel Epperson, by playing this year, will be more ready to compete and contribute than. Haarms will.
It depends on the player. Haarms likely would have redshirted this year anyway. One reason players redshirt is to get them ready to contribute. Players redshirt all the time and then they step in and make impact. An extreme example is Glenn Robinson, who sat out as a Prop 48 his first year. He was an All-American the next year.

Reactions: Inspector100
Agree on Haarms being more of a 4. Any idea how his defense stacks up? Can he guard a 5? Rebound?
I have only seen a few clips on him. He seems fairly athletic so at his height I would anticipate some blocked shots. Just from looks it would seem he would have trouble with a physical #5 in the post, but that is just speculation on my part.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Speculation is that Priller, Johnson, and Blackmon will graduate this year as many of Crean's players do. Would any of those be welcome in West Laffy.

Personally, I'd take Johnson over the other two because I think he could come in and help immediately and he's the only Hoosier who's played defense in the past three years.

Speculation is that Priller, Johnson, and Blackmon will graduate this year as many of Crean's players do. Would any of those be welcome in West Laffy.

that would be interesting having an IU player transfer to Purdue as a grad transfer. Not sure IU would allow it. I thought before Spike announced he was transferring, he had to request Michigan's permission.

Personally, I'd take Johnson over the other two because I think he could come in and help immediately and he's the only Hoosier who's played defense in the past three years.
I wouldn't be interested in any of their current players coming to PU. If you make me take one it would be Bryant simply because we need another big next year. He's not eligible to come here next year, so the answer is none of them.

It depends on the player. Haarms likely would have redshirted this year anyway. One reason players redshirt is to get them ready to contribute. Players redshirt all the time and then they step in and make impact. An extreme example is Glenn Robinson, who sat out as a Prop 48 his first year. He was an All-American the next year.
I think his point was that Haarms would still be playing in games if he had stayed at the high school in KS, instead of sitting and watching here.

I think his point was that Haarms would still be playing in games if he had stayed at the high school in KS, instead of sitting and watching here.

it's a tough question. You could make a case that last December when Purdue was recruiting Epperson and Haarms , they were both about the same rating. and the same size and both were more perimeter players than inside bangers.

rather than rehashing everything, if you judge both players to be basically similar in almost everything, which would you rather have ? the player who's been playing competitive games all year at the high school / prep level ? or the guy who came to campus early and has been learning the Purdue system and sitting on the bench?

Oh, I see. But the benefits he gains from playing Haas and Biggie in practice everyday far outweighs playing high school kids. He is getting more competition here than he could ever ask for in high school. He will be much more prepared next year than if he was playing in high school right now.

Some clarification:

1. Sasha is not going to prep school. That ship sailed when he committed with an open scholarship
  2. Taylor is not transferring. He would lose a year of eligibility (and maybe two since his medical hardship would be in jeopardy). The only way he's not playing at Purdue next year is if he is hurt again and decides to take a medical scholarship
  3. Purdue won't be interested in any guards and definitely not 5th year guards. The backcourt is crowded and Purdue has tangible frontcourt needs
  4. Tilmon might not play at Illinois but he's not coming to Purdue. He had no interest in Purdue during his initial recruitment.
  5. None of those top 25 guys are giving Purdue a sniff even if we win the National title.
  6. It's extremely unlikely that Eastern takes senior PJ Thompson's starting job
  7. Epperson is more of a 4 than a 5 at this point and not really ready to contribute
  8. Ondigo is likely the freshman recruit most likely help next year
  9. IMO if Taylor is unavailable, Ewing is the most likely candidate to get spot minutes at the five to relieve Haas
Definitely no guards/wings needed unless we are talking Kennard or similarly great...I don't see that happening.
PJ is starting alright.
I'm fine with two 4's as long as ones big enough to guard a 5 as required.

Not true. Feel free to post some evidence.

I just know that any time I mention or post about graduate transfers, you're one of the first posters to reply and it's always in disagreement with whatever player or idea I'm suggesting. I'm not going to bother looking it up old threads from past years because it won't do any good in this back-and-forth. We'll just keep butting heads.

The bottom line: I think it's possible that the staff will add a grad transfer (or two) this offseason and you don't.

Last edited:

None of those.
Priller is by far the least talented but best mindset of the three. Not good enough though.
Both guards look toxic. That game against GT was sad by both of them. We don't need that.

I just know that any time I mention or post about graduate transfers, you're one of the first posters to reply and it's always in disagreement with whatever player or idea I'm suggesting. I'm not going to bother looking it up old threads from past years because it won't do any good in this back-and-forth. We'll just keep butting heads.

The bottom line: I think it's possible that the staff will add a grad transfer (or two) this offseason and you don't.
They might. If so I would only see a big making sense and only if it doesn't interfere with a four year recruit, i.e. Ondigo or Epperson, etc..

Oh, I see. But the benefits he gains from playing Haas and Biggie in practice everyday far outweighs playing high school kids. He is getting more competition here than he could ever ask for in high school. He will be much more prepared next year than if he was playing in high school right now.
I agree. And the training table and workout regimen is light years beyond whatever he was doing in Kansas.

that wasn't my point at all. it's a given Haarms had to enroll Purdue or else he'd lose a year of eligibility. my point was that according to everybody Haarms and Epperson are very similar in build and position and talent level. if you were Painter and you could only have one of the two on your team, which would you prefer, and which do you believe would prepare the player to become a better player ? What would be your choice ??? if you only had one scholarship to give?

Haarms coming to Purdue early and practicing and training with the team, but in doing so missing an entire year of playing competitive basketball games ? or Epperson. who got to play an entire season at one of the best prep schools in the country alongside some very talented players ?

Given their size, talent and position are approximately the same, which player do you believe will be the better player and ready to contribute in December, 2017 ? I'm going to assume both players would benefit from practicing with Purdue this Summer ? I'm personally leaning on Epperson playing a season of completive ball at a prep school over Haarms arriving early and redshirting this semester and practicing with the team. but I'm not sure and seeking input as to what you believe would be more beneficial. Actual live game participation at the prep level ? or practicing with the team at college?

or in other words who would you rather have? Epperson or Haarms ? When Painter first started recruiting both players last fall, they were about equal. Do you believe the y are still equal ? and if one is better, which one, and why? Which player has developed more in the past year ?

that wasn't my point at all. it's a given Haarms had to enroll Purdue or else he'd lose a year of eligibility. my point was that according to everybody Haarms and Epperson are very similar in build and position and talent level. if you were Painter and you could only have one of the two on your team, which would you prefer, and which do you believe would prepare the player to become a better player ? What would be your choice ??? if you only had one scholarship to give?

Haarms coming to Purdue early and practicing and training with the team, but in doing so missing an entire year of playing competitive basketball games ? or Epperson. who got to play an entire season at one of the best prep schools in the country alongside some very talented players ?

Given their size, talent and position are approximately the same, which player do you believe will be the better player and ready to contribute in December, 2017 ? I'm going to assume both players would benefit from practicing with Purdue this Summer ? I'm personally leaning on Epperson playing a season of completive ball at a prep school over Haarms arriving early and redshirting this semester and practicing with the team. but I'm not sure and seeking input as to what you believe would be more beneficial. Actual live game participation at the prep level ? or practicing with the team at college?

or in other words who would you rather have? Epperson or Haarms ? When Painter first started recruiting both players last fall, they were about equal. Do you believe the y are still equal ? and if one is better, which one, and why? Which player has developed more in the past year ?
Not clear who you are addressing, but the answer is clearly Haarms for all of the reasons I gave. If the two players were equal in November, then Haarms will be the much better player by next Fall.

I think the experience Haarms is getting now in practice is far more valuable than Epperson playing against other high school kids even if some are highly rated. I'm not sold on Epperson anyways and would much rather have Ondigo or just save the scholarship.

It's not really a choice, since only one of them decided they wanted to be a Boiler.

It's not really a choice, since only one of them decided they wanted to be a Boiler.

You are correct. While Painter is still recruiting Epperson, he already turned us down once at the early signing period and said he wanted more time to display his skills to more teams. At least, Haarms said yes.

Given that Haarms and Epperson are so similar, I'd also rather go after Odigo than have two perimeter oriented big men in the same class.

Reactions: StickPurdue
Re: Wolegib

Haarms playing against Biggie and Haas everyday is infinity times more valuable then playing at LaLum.

Haarms is playing against an All American, BTPOY and NPOY candidate everyday in practice. Oh and he also plays against a guy who is a 7'2 300lb giant.

Not what I said at all. I think if the staff were to add a grad transfer, it would definitely be a post player and not a guard.

That said, I'm not in favor of bringing in a grad transfer unless someone decided to transfer. I think we need Biggie's scholarship to restock the post for when Haas departs after next year.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
So.... with careen being fired, is there somebody from IU worth poaching as a transfer?

This guy might be a better option than Geno Thorpe: Elijah Brown (son of NBA coach Mike Brown).

He played his first season at Butler ('13-'14), transferred, and played his last two seasons at New Mexico (including a game at Purdue last season). He has good size for a college guard and I believe he's a left-handed shooter as well. If he can improve his FG/3PT percentage, he would be an asset on the offensive end.

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66158/elijah-brown

This guy might be a better option than Geno Thorpe: Elijah Brown (son of NBA coach Mike Brown).

He played his first season at Butler ('13-'14), transferred, and played his last two seasons at New Mexico (including a game at Purdue last season). He has good size for a college guard and I believe he's a left-handed shooter as well. If he can improve his FG/3PT percentage, he would be an asset on the offensive end.

Pass.

Interesting option. Do you think a 5th year senior, who was raised by an NBA coach, is likely to show a reasonable improvement in shooting at Purdue?

I would pass too. Next year, I want to see a backcourt of Edwards and Eastern getting substantial minutes and complemented by Cline, PJ and Mathais. I also want to see Wheeler get significant minutes at SF. Eastern can play PG, SG, or SF and needs to play! And we've already seen what C Edwards can do. I don't want to take any more minutes away from an already crowded back court. I can almost see Cline transferring out, but I would believe he'll stay for his last year.

I can't see wasting a scholarship to sign a 5th year guard who will get 3-5 minutes per game max. Signing Spike has kind of been a waste this year. If Biggie leaves, we need to add more depth to our front court, not our back court. I'd love to find a 5th year in the paint, physical, rebounding PF and keep Edwards at SF !

I have nothing against this player - except he plays the wrong position..

He is very thin and plays (currently) more of a euro big man game. Shoots 3's and runs the floor. That doesn't mean he can't change or won't change, I'm just making the point that as he is currently structured he is not a #5 in the B1G. He is more of a #4 or even #3 than he is a traditional #5.

I'm not suggesting that if we don't get another big we are doomed next year (far from it) I just think that with CS leaving the biggest hole we are going to have is in the paint.
This is purely "I'm interested" question, not a challenge ... how does Haarm's game compare to Mo Wagner's?

This is purely "I'm interested" question, not a challenge ... how does Haarm's game compare to Mo Wagner's?
I would think pretty similar especially based on their build and skill set (IMO). Not sure on Haarms 3 pt accuracy but I know he can shoot. One of the videos posted during NCAA practice shows him with a smooth shooting motion.

One could see Painter incorporating some high ball screen action with him and Carsen.

Reactions: nagemj02
My guess on minute break down next year:
Mathias and Vince- 30 each
PJ, Carsen, and Haas- 25 each
Cline-20
Eastern, Wheeler, and Ewing-15 each
Unlikely Haarms or Sasha will crack the rotation in my opinion. Painter seems to have been trending towards smaller rotations. My projections have nine players getting around 15 minutes next year. That might even be a little high. I know Ewing and Eastern will get some minutes next year and I have liked what I have seen/heard about Wheeler so I'm putting him in the rotation. Next years team seems pretty deep to me not sure there are minutes for a grad transfer to get unless they are a star. Maybe a SF but not sure it'd be worth it unless Wheeler would want to RS.

Nags,
We look like a one open scholarship team who needs bigs. We need a freshman big to be ready to step in when both Biggie and Haas leave over the next two years.
Now if we don't have a good prospect, sure whatever helps for a year, but not the right focus.

I have not seen nearly enough to make a comparison. I can only go by what video I have seen and he is not a traditional #5 right now. If he can shoot close to what Wagner does from the 3, we will have something!!

I would pass too. Next year, I want to see a backcourt of Edwards and Eastern getting substantial minutes and complemented by Cline, PJ and Mathais. I also want to see Wheeler get significant minutes at SF. Eastern can play PG, SG, or SF and needs to play! And we've already seen what C Edwards can do. I don't want to take any more minutes away from an already crowded back court. I can almost see Cline transferring out, but I would believe he'll stay for his last year.

I can't see wasting a scholarship to sign a 5th year guard who will get 3-5 minutes per game max. Signing Spike has kind of been a waste this year. If Biggie leaves, we need to add more depth to our front court, not our back court. I'd love to find a 5th year in the paint, physical, rebounding PF and keep Edwards at SF !

I have nothing against this player - except he plays the wrong position..

I disagree on Spike being a waste. He doesn't have much to show in terms of stats, but he has experienced reaching a national title game and that type of experience, coupled with his poise on and off the court, has helped this team, IMO.

BTW, when the Michigan team with Albrecht went to the National Title game in 2013, they beat a familiar name in their "Sweet Sixteen" game:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=330882305

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
I have not seen nearly enough to make a comparison. I can only go by what video I have seen and he is not a traditional #5 right now. If he can shoot close to what Wagner does from the 3, we will have something!!
C'mom man ... weren't you assigned to be the Haarms-expert??? I thought so!

In other news, thanks for what you did post. Watching the Olympics and talking with players who've played in Europe makes me have great hope. Watching Wagner Sunday was really fun. They had Doug Lee playing point most of his European career. They just play big and shoot.

Reactions: Dryfly88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT