ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny to me that IU fans think they were going to lure Steve Alford back. He's got it made at UCLA. Recruiting is much easier out there and his pipeline is pretty well stocked. Why would he come and try to fix IU? He's really not talented enough as a coach to fix that mess. I remember several years ago when he was on the hot seat at UCLA. Hilarious.

Billy Donovan? He has a top 3 player in Russell Westbrook and he left a college that had recently won national titles. Why would he go to IU? He wouldn't. Ever.

IU is not a premier coaching destination any longer. Those days are long gone.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
We didn't want Steve. If IU had offered he would have left in a heart beat. Donovan wanted 8 million and 3 million for his staff. That's just too much and I don't blame the administration for passing. I wanted Archie the whole time. He's basically an Indiana guy. This dude has ate, slept, and breathed basketball from birth. He's going to do big things at IU. Just because you want more than anything for him to fail doesn't mean a thing. I'm sorry that guys like him won't even listen when you come calling looking for a new coach. Maybe a former player will turn out to be a really good coach or something...
Wow. Such denial down in bloomington. Alford was never coming to IU and Archie was in the bottom tier of the coaching list.

He's crean 2.0.

I just have one question: Remember when IU fans used to make fun of Kramer's Mom when she made comments and (supposedly) cheered loudly? As I recall, the claim was that her behavior made it OK to do so - even if the comments were pretty obnoxious, sexist and insulting. I also recall the comments made about Mrs. Keady by that same group.

Now, comments about Mrs. Miller are not allowed? Seems as though there is a very large double standard. I know nothing about Mrs. Miller and however vociferous she is, and I believe that family are "civilians" and thus off limits. However, if she chooses to enter the fray, then she loses her immunity.

As for the swimsuit pic, I am fairly sure that she knew that it was taken and posted on social media somewhere - likely by a family member of close friend. What is posted on the internet stays forever.

I just have one question: Remember when IU fans used to make fun of Kramer's Mom when she made comments and (supposedly) cheered loudly? As I recall, the claim was that her behavior made it OK to do so - even if the comments were pretty obnoxious, sexist and insulting. I also recall the comments made about Mrs. Keady by that same group.

Now, comments about Mrs. Miller are not allowed? Seems as though there is a very large double standard. I know nothing about Mrs. Miller and however vociferous she is, and I believe that family are "civilians" and thus off limits. However, if she chooses to enter the fray, then she loses her immunity.

As for the swimsuit pic, I am fairly sure that she knew that it was taken and posted on social media somewhere - likely by a family member of close friend. What is posted on the internet stays forever.
And that pic will be there to confirm her "hotness" when she's 70 and Archie has won his 6th straight NCAA title. After all, in Bloomington, he's the next Wooden, Knight, Branch, and Dean Smith rolled into one. Such delusional folks in that town with all the trailers.

My first impression was that he looks like Beaver Cleaver.

beaver-cleaver.jpg

Bamboozle-town barbers begrudgingly bellow:
"BYE BYE BUTT-CUT, BRING ON BEAVER-CUT!!"

roller_gif_zpscwe8ixta.gif

Beaver-cut_gif_zpsf5nqgima.gif

Reactions: PU pit bull and BBG
Funny to me that IU fans think they were going to lure Steve Alford back. He's got it made at UCLA. Recruiting is much easier out there and his pipeline is pretty well stocked. Why would he come and try to fix IU? He's really not talented enough as a coach to fix that mess. I remember several years ago when he was on the hot seat at UCLA. Hilarious.

Billy Donovan? He has a top 3 player in Russell Westbrook and he left a college that had recently won national titles. Why would he go to IU? He wouldn't. Ever.

IU is not a premier coaching destination any longer. Those days are long gone.

True. it's not. And it's pretty incredible that IU would hire mediocrity. I believe Miller lost 63 or more games in only 6 years, thats over 10 losses a season on average, which is horrible, so yea , start there and work your way to his height. It's pretty amazing that IU would hire a coach who is 5' 9". He will be looking up to his players, will be sort of odd. Crean wasn't even a basketball player in college and also was short, but not as short as this kid. So i guess Indiana will continue to hire either short guys or non-basketball guys.

True. it's not. And it's pretty incredible that IU would hire mediocrity. I believe Miller lost 63 or more games in only 6 years, thats over 10 losses a season on average, which is horrible, so yea , start there and work your way to his height. It's pretty amazing that IU would hire a coach who is 5' 9". He will be looking up to his players, will be sort of odd. Crean wasn't even a basketball player in college and also was short, but not as short as this kid. So i guess Indiana will continue to hire either short guys or non-basketball guys.
You must be a really short guy because you've brought up his height multiple times. Remember, Adolph Hitler was even shorter than your new fifth best choice and he changed the world, so IU basketball should run roughshod on all the other programs based on that analogy.

Let's punch this in the ground not my intentions . Of course little bro wants our approval . Good hire by them definitely better than Crean

Reactions: SBendguy
Boris is right. Neither of the Miller boys are as good as their daddy thinks they are. If he were that good, he'd have been out of Ohio long ago.
Ruh Roh. " I've heard nothing but good things about Archie Miller and think he'll do a good job. You people get behind him and I think you're going to enjoy some good basketball." Who could that possibly be TD? I'll give you a clue, it's going to mess up your whole agenda.
Yup, none other than your hero Bob Knight.
Spin that.

Reactions: IUCrazy2 and T.M.P.

A swimsuit picture when you are at a pool or beach? What is the world coming to? No clue where you came up with the other info about Mrs. Miller. Certainly have not seen or heard anything of that sort.

But, he's had to deal with his own recruits who were arrested, who were caught drugging and stealing. Players that he recruited to Dayton. But don't let facts get in the way of the delusional IU fans. My guess, the only banner IU is going to hang under Archie is the one over the south concession stand that says, "Hot Dogs half price."
You probably haven't heard of Ryan Cline, Ronnie Johnson, and Basil Smotherman, just to start with.

Not sure that Miller's height really matters. Tom Izzo is also 5'9" and has to look up at most of his players. He's done ok.

Reactions: Heller
Ruh Roh. " I've heard nothing but good things about Archie Miller and think he'll do a good job. You people get behind him and I think you're going to enjoy some good basketball." Who could that possibly be TD? I'll give you a clue, it's going to mess up your whole agenda.
Yup, none other than your hero Bob Knight.
Spin that.
You guys act like RMK endorsed him for this job. He was speaking a long time ago to the then Dayton coach/AD who happened to be a friend of Bob's about a young man entering his job as head coach for the first time. That said, don't get all giddy and mess yourself because the Bob Knight curse still lives for this new fifth best choice.

As for Archie's troubled children, I find it ironic and hypocritical that you guys rip Alford and bitch about the Pierce situation when your new coach did the same with his player. Double standards....I think so. And not one word of it on the Indiana Rivals or Peeg's sites.

zeke, I have no idea what you are writing about. Please read carefully: I wrote that I knew nothing about Mrs. Miller. What I referenced was a statement made earlier in this thread claiming that she was loud. I wrote that I did not know if that was true. So how this makes a claim against her is puzzling.

I did write that the swimsuit pic was likely made by a friend or family member. Isn't that who would normally take a picture like that?

Reading carefully is an art; it needs to be practiced.

I'm confused by your response. Bob made these comments last night at Bloomington North, talking to IU fans.

You guys act like RMK endorsed him for this job. He was speaking a long time ago to the then Dayton coach/AD who happened to be a friend of Bob's about a young man entering his job as head coach for the first time. That said, don't get all giddy and mess yourself because the Bob Knight curse still lives for this new fifth best choice.

, I find it ironic and hypocritical that you guys rip Alford and bitch about the Pierce situation when your new coach did the same with his player. Double standards....I think so. And not one word of it on the Indiana Rivals or Peeg's sites.

Nice attempt to equate the two incidents. The only commonality is that both players were suspended from team activities when accused of sexual assault.

However, are you also saying that Archie Miller
  • brokered a private meeting with a campus ministry,
  • invited the accused player and the alleged assault victim to that meeting with clergy, and
  • used the meeting to attempt to convince the alleged victim to recant her story...
Like Alford did? Wow; if that's the case then many people's opinion on Archie is about to change.

Don't believe me? From the LA Times review of the incident:

"The flash point was Pierce's arrest, which came just after school started in the fall of 2002 and set off a chain of events.

Jim Goodrich, a friend of Alford's, tried to convince the victim to drop the matter according to various media reports. Goodrich, the campus representative at Iowa for the sports ministry Athletes in Action, often traveled with the basketball team. He denied the allegation.

Crawford, the victim's attorney, said the young woman was undecided about whether to seek charges until Goodrich spoke with her and left the impression that some people were more worried about basketball than they were concerned about her.

"It was the conduct of Alford's friend that prompted her to do so," Crawford said in a recent interview.

Then came Alford's comments in support of Pierce at Big Ten media day.

Pat Harty, a columnist with the Iowa City Press-Citizen, had an additional concern but didn't explain why until recently.

After Alford's comments at UCLA's news conference, Harty wrote a column that revealed Iowa coaches were given extra reason to doubt Pierce beyond his arrest.

About the time the sexual assault allegations arose, Harty said he alerted school officials in an email that a niece of his had felt threatened by Pierce.

The player "showed up in her dorm room one afternoon that same fall," Harty wrote, "unannounced and uninvited -- closed the door and refused to leave" until his niece began screaming.

Harty said he sent the email to stop his older brother, a former Iowa football player, "from coming to Iowa City to confront Pierce himself."

"I told my family I would contact the athletic department on their behalf, to help them take action," Harty wrote in his column.

Instead, Harty said, he received a letter from an assistant coach extolling Pierce as a "good kid."

Alford says he has no recollection of those circumstances."

Last edited:
Nice attempt to equate the two incidents. The only commonality is that both players were suspended from team activities when accused of sexual assault.

However, are you also saying that Archie Miller
  • brokered a private meeting with a campus ministry,
  • invited the accused player and the alleged assault victim to that meeting with clergy, and
  • used the meeting to attempt to convince the alleged victim to recant her story...
Like Alford did? Wow; if that's the case then many people's opinion on Archie is about to change.

Don't believe me? From the LA Times review of the incident:

"The flash point was Pierce's arrest, which came just after school started in the fall of 2002 and set off a chain of events.

Jim Goodrich, a friend of Alford's, tried to convince the victim to drop the matter according to various media reports. Goodrich, the campus representative at Iowa for the sports ministry Athletes in Action, often traveled with the basketball team. He denied the allegation.

Crawford, the victim's attorney, said the young woman was undecided about whether to seek charges until Goodrich spoke with her and left the impression that some people were more worried about basketball than they were concerned about her.

"It was the conduct of Alford's friend that prompted her to do so," Crawford said in a recent interview.

Then came Alford's comments in support of Pierce at Big Ten media day.

Pat Harty, a columnist with the Iowa City Press-Citizen, had an additional concern but didn't explain why until recently.

After Alford's comments at UCLA's news conference, Harty wrote a column that revealed Iowa coaches were given extra reason to doubt Pierce beyond his arrest.

About the time the sexual assault allegations arose, Harty said he alerted school officials in an email that a niece of his had felt threatened by Pierce.

The player "showed up in her dorm room one afternoon that same fall," Harty wrote, "unannounced and uninvited -- closed the door and refused to leave" until his niece began screaming.

Harty said he sent the email to stop his older brother, a former Iowa football player, "from coming to Iowa City to confront Pierce himself."

"I told my family I would contact the athletic department on their behalf, to help them take action," Harty wrote in his column.

Instead, Harty said, he received a letter from an assistant coach extolling Pierce as a "good kid."

Alford says he has no recollection of those circumstances."
JM, While I don't condone rape, or non-consenting sex or abuse in any form, and while I'm not defending Archie's guy of Pierce or any ten's of others where this occurs, here's another article from the other side.

Since you and others are so quick to accuse, let's look at the other side of the story. A young man who has turned his life around, and another article that really has no slant to it, written by an impartial writer.

Pierre Pierce responds to Steve Alford’s apology and Pat Harty’s column

By Terrence PayneApr 12, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Since Steve Alford accepted the UCLA head coaching job two weeks ago, some of his past has been brought up. Most notably his time at Iowa and the accusations against of his players.

Former Iowa guard Pierre Pierce was accused of sexual assaulting a female student and as a result Alford was criticized for not doing enough in regards to disciplining Pierce. That was brought up during his introductory press conference at UCLA and Alford said he did what he was instructed to do by the university. On Thursday, Alford issued an apology for the way he handled that issue, calling his actions, “inappropriate, insensitive and hurtful.”

“I don’t have an issue with anything he said,” Pierce told Jared S. Hopkins of the Chicago Tribune on Friday.

Pierce, now a father, is back in Chicago after injuring his shoulder while playing in France. He told ChicagoSideSports.com that he congratulated Alford on the UCLA job and that they keep up from time to time.

“I don’t have an issue with anything he had to say,” Pierce said. “He has always been in my corner since he recruited me, so I have nothing — you will never find me saying anything about coach.”

He also commented on the column from Iowa City Press-Citizen columnist Pat Harty that was posted last Friday. In the column, Harty mentions a moment when his niece, an 18-year-old University of Iowa freshman at the time, claimed Pierce attempted to assault her.

“I wish Pat Harty nothing but the best, but I can’t respond to everyone’s allegations or false allegations,” Pierce told Daniel Libit. “I have moved on from my past. I am not calling it anything. If he wants to say anything about me, he can say it, and do with it what he wants to. At this point, I have moved on from Iowa, the writers, I have moved on from them all — far from them.”

He does not claim any wrongdoing in the alleged incident.

“It couldn’t be more false,” Pierce added. “If they wanted to press charges, why wait 10 years [until] Coach Alford has a job at UCLA to bring more negativity to it? My focus was about the future and nothing about the past because it has no merit.”

Pierce is rehabbing a shoulder injury, but told the Tribune and ChicagoSideSports.com he has thought about becoming a coach when his playing days are over.

Terrence is also the lead writer at NEHoopNews.com and can be followed on Twitter: @terrence_payne

BTW....Pat Hardy was a huge detractor of the hiring of Steve Alford and was a continual thorn in Steve's side even before the Pierce incident. Hardy wanted an Iowa guy.

JM, While I don't condone rape, or non-consenting sex or abuse in any form, and while I'm not defending Archie's guy of Pierce or any ten's of others where this occurs, here's another article from the other side.

Since you and others are so quick to accuse, let's look at the other side of the story. A young man who has turned his life around, and another article that really has no slant to it, written by an impartial writer.

Pierre Pierce responds to Steve Alford’s apology and Pat Harty’s column

By Terrence PayneApr 12, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Since Steve Alford accepted the UCLA head coaching job two weeks ago, some of his past has been brought up. Most notably his time at Iowa and the accusations against of his players.

Former Iowa guard Pierre Pierce was accused of sexual assaulting a female student and as a result Alford was criticized for not doing enough in regards to disciplining Pierce. That was brought up during his introductory press conference at UCLA and Alford said he did what he was instructed to do by the university. On Thursday, Alford issued an apology for the way he handled that issue, calling his actions, “inappropriate, insensitive and hurtful.”

“I don’t have an issue with anything he said,” Pierce told Jared S. Hopkins of the Chicago Tribune on Friday.

Pierce, now a father, is back in Chicago after injuring his shoulder while playing in France. He told ChicagoSideSports.com that he congratulated Alford on the UCLA job and that they keep up from time to time.

“I don’t have an issue with anything he had to say,” Pierce said. “He has always been in my corner since he recruited me, so I have nothing — you will never find me saying anything about coach.”

He also commented on the column from Iowa City Press-Citizen columnist Pat Harty that was posted last Friday. In the column, Harty mentions a moment when his niece, an 18-year-old University of Iowa freshman at the time, claimed Pierce attempted to assault her.

“I wish Pat Harty nothing but the best, but I can’t respond to everyone’s allegations or false allegations,” Pierce told Daniel Libit. “I have moved on from my past. I am not calling it anything. If he wants to say anything about me, he can say it, and do with it what he wants to. At this point, I have moved on from Iowa, the writers, I have moved on from them all — far from them.”

He does not claim any wrongdoing in the alleged incident.

“It couldn’t be more false,” Pierce added. “If they wanted to press charges, why wait 10 years [until] Coach Alford has a job at UCLA to bring more negativity to it? My focus was about the future and nothing about the past because it has no merit.”

Pierce is rehabbing a shoulder injury, but told the Tribune and ChicagoSideSports.com he has thought about becoming a coach when his playing days are over.

Terrence is also the lead writer at NEHoopNews.com and can be followed on Twitter: @terrence_payne

BTW....Pat Hardy was a huge detractor of the hiring of Steve Alford and was a continual thorn in Steve's side even before the Pierce incident. Hardy wanted an Iowa guy.

No, you're not condoning rape or sexual assault. You were off-handedly comparing Archie Miller's actions to Alford's, which is an awful thing to do considering that so many have outed Alford's handling of the Pierce incident as horrendous, and you have no reason to believe that Archie did anything of the sort!

AND THEN, you are citing Pierce's response to the original assault accusations as a legitimate counter-argument!

Of course, you left this out from Sports Illustrated:

"That was an incident that happened years ago at the University of Iowa and all I can tell you with that situation is I followed everything that the University of Iowa, the administration, the lawyers that were hired, I did everything I was supposed to do at the University of Iowa in that situation. I followed everything that I was told to do," Alford said on April 2.

The issue with that statement, with today's reversal of posture as further evidence, is that it's almost certainly not true, and at the very least ignored Alford's well-publicized public defenses of Pierce at the time. Alford defended Pierce when he was initially charged, and then continued to defend him publicly even after evidence of the charges against Pierce had been made available to Alford. Then you can parse individual parts of the case, perhaps most damningly the fact that Athletes in Action, a faith-based organization run by a good friend of Alford's, was used in an attempt to intimidate the victim into staying quiet. Those details, and many others, are mentioned in the university's official report of the investigation.

Pierce ultimately was kept on scholarship but was forced to miss the 2002-03 season (he took a redshirt). The decision led to protests on campus. Pierce returned to the program for the 2003-04 campaign, and subsequently was dismissed from Iowa after another incident midway through his junior year. In that case, Pierce pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary, assault with an intent to commit sexual abuse, false imprisonment, and fourth-degree criminal mischief after an incident with his then girlfriend. He ended up spending almost a year in jail.

Alford's comments last week were contradicted by the prosecutor who handled the Pierce case. J. Patrick White told the Orange County Register that Alford's continued public insistence of Pierce's innocence at the time was very hurtful to the victim and made prosecution of the initial case more difficult, eventually leading to a plea bargain that didn't include jail time. Then White added this near the bottom of the story:

"(Alford's) explanation, both then and subsequently, he's maintained that he was saying what he had been told to say," White said. "But I've talked to (then-Iowa athletic director) Bob Bowlsby and I'm reasonably certain that not to be the case."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT