ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but you are wrong about Alford and Donovan. I know this for a fact. Of course feelers were sent to Stevens and Donovan, but everyone knew Brad wasn't coming. Alford's people reached out to IU and Donovan was not considered due to temperament and other issues. Miller was the first choice after the pipe dream.
Then IU played into Alford's hands, because it sure looks like Miller was after SteveO

You mean like Tom Crean was run off...after nine years of ineptitude?

You're the embarrassing one, and fairly transparent since you claim to be a long time fan but whose account only goes back 5 months and every post is a defense of Tom Crean. I'm sorry that Archie isn't going to need paid board trolls and sunshine pumpers in the department like Crean did. Maybe you can get a transfer. To somewhere.

I don't care if Miller was the first choice or the tenth. He's a good young coach with a lot of promise. You want to be an IU fan? The peel the Tom Crean Big Head off your ceiling and give the guy a chance.

Or stay over here and whine. Personally I'd prefer the latter for you.

The first 3 years were a rebuild. Hard to run a guy off in the next 5 years when you go to a tournament 4 times, 3 Sweet 16's and two conference titles, don't you think?

You really think I've only been on that site for 5 months? Child, please. I go back many years on the Peegs site. I showed you one of my IU diplomas yesterday dating back to the mid 90's.

If you read what I wrote yesterday, I am going to give Archie a chance. First and foremost I'm an IU fan, which is also why I supported Davis, Crean, etc.

I'm just not unhinged like so many of you are. There are literally threads there that think we are going to the Final Four next year. That's the kind of idiocy that prevents good coaches from coming to IU. That isn't unbridled enthusiasm, that's what many of the Deliverance clan of the IU base (yes, I said it and you know exactly whom I speak of) thinks. It's so damn embarrassing. They are stuck in a time vortex that goes back to the previous century. You're right, I'm not one of those people, but that doesn't make me not a fan, not a graduate (twice over).

Donovan yes. I don't think any IU fan who was even remotely clued in considered Stevens a legitimate possibility. I'm sure there are tons of peripheral fans (I see them on Facebook) who don't follow things very closely who thought Stevens or Alford would be great (and who had no idea who Miller was) but I don't think you'd find many thread on forums where people seriously considered Stevens.

Yet you would find hundreds with Brad hero worship, Brad avatars, etc. And go back just 1 or 2 years on Peegs or the new site (but wait, I've only been a fan for 5 months how would I know this /sarc) and the amount of our fans that thought Brad was coming was so comical, it was tragically sad at the same time. Off the wall, unhinged. All you had to do was go back 18 months, so many thought and believed it to be the case. Mind blowing how out of touch so many of our fans are.

I really wish that I or someone else had saved the threads when Crean was hired. The assurances of the "return" were the same as now and made with the same level of confidence. We know how that turned out.

Call me foolish, but history has taught me to take these claims with many grains of salt.

That was my point yesterday when my fellow IU grads were going nuts about what people were saying about the hire. Of course, that's what every hire does. It's the media game. I quoted 2008 stuff when Crean was hired, same exact puffery from Izzo, ESPN, SI, Sporting News, etc, and these clowns are out there saying that was different. No it wasn't. There are no guarantees in the coaching world. Then I get challenged to prove I'm an IU fan and literally have to show pictures of one of my diplomas from IU, some clothing apparel and I included the NIT ticket (yes, I actually went to the NIT game in Atlanta). But if you don't fall in marching orders with the groupthink mentality, you can't possibly be a fan. It's comical.

The first 3 years were a rebuild. Hard to run a guy off in the next 5 years when you go to a tournament 4 times, 3 Sweet 16's and two conference titles, don't you think?

You really think I've only been on that site for 5 months? Child, please. I go back many years on the Peegs site. I showed you one of my IU diplomas yesterday dating back to the mid 90's.

If you read what I wrote yesterday, I am going to give Archie a chance. First and foremost I'm an IU fan, which is also why I supported Davis, Crean, etc.

I'm just not unhinged like so many of you are. There are literally threads there that think we are going to the Final Four next year. That's the kind of idiocy that prevents good coaches from coming to IU. That isn't unbridled enthusiasm, that's what many of the Deliverance clan of the IU base (yes, I said it and you know exactly whom I speak of) thinks. It's so damn embarrassing. They are stuck in a time vortex that goes back to the previous century. You're right, I'm not one of those people, but that doesn't make me not a fan, not a graduate (twice over).
You're fully aware of the fact that Crean missed the tournament 2 of the last 4 years. You continue to try to change facts to favor Crean. Why?

Holy moly. This is insane. A few things:

1. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but IU was never going to hire Alford. When he made his announcement, the deal with Archie was basically already finished. IU had definitely looked at Alford early, but were reportedly "surprised" at the size of the backlash over the PP incident. The safe bet is that Alford "turned them down" after he was told he'd never get the job. It's win-win. He saves face, and Glass doesn't have to keep explaining to a select handful of idiotic but rich boosters why he didn't pick Alford.

2. For virtually every IU fan, Donovan was the top guy, no doubt. But for many, Archie was right up there. Most probably had Marshall or the elder Miller higher, and several would have preferred Bennett, but for others, Archie's been the guy for years. If you come over to our side and do a search for "Archie," you'll find a number of us pushing him for coach in March 2015. Earlier this year, his support was huge. It's really only the people who honestly believe we could have gotten Donovan who are upset (plus a small band of morons who believe being able to shoot a jumper in 1987 is a primary coaching qualification).

3. You guys know this is a great hire for IU. Proof? This thread is five pages long. You can't stop talking about it. It's under your skin.

4. I echo my fellow Hoosiers' thanks for helping get rid of Crean by beating our asses so badly.

Question for Boiler fans who think this is a bad hire - would we have been able to attract Archie Miller if our job was open?

Yes....but with the players, new AD, new facilities, and an outward commitment from the AD on winning...Purdue could have made a better pitch RIGHT NOW than IU, imo.

Are you Hoosies aware that Miller's record at Dayton is almost identical to Crean's record at Marquette? If the past record is an indicator of future performance, you've traded in a Chevy for a Chevy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(basketball)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Miller_(basketball)

Marquette is a much better basketball school than UD. A Marquette coach should have much more success than a Dayton one.

Dayton went to 4 tourneys in a row, something never done at their program and never done by Crean in 18 f'n years of coaching at two separate P5 programs. They're 4th fiddle(at best) in their own state and have to compete with all the other regional schools in the Midwest as well.

To attempt to draw a comparable line from Crean to Archie is mental gymnastics at best, and downright basketball incompetence most likely. Sorry.

Reactions: T.M.P.

3. You guys know this is a great hire for IU. Proof? This thread is five pages long. You can't stop talking about it. It's under your skin.

This is dumb, even for you Goat and we've had many conversations over the years. Purdue is a rival, of course people are going to opine. Go back to the old Peegs board when PU was adding Painter to sit with Keady, and the threads were endless. That's what rivals do.

Reactions: Lucy01
This is dumb, even for you Goat and we've had many conversations over the years. Purdue is a rival, of course people are going to opine. Go back to the old Peegs board when PU was adding Painter to sit with Keady, and the threads were endless. That's what rivals do.
Over the years? And who might you be, then?

1. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but IU was never going to hire Alford. When he made his announcement, the deal with Archie was basically already finished. IU had definitely looked at Alford early, but were reportedly "surprised" at the size of the backlash over the PP incident. The safe bet is that Alford "turned them down" after he was told he'd never get the job. It's win-win. He saves face, and Glass doesn't have to keep explaining to a select handful of idiotic but rich boosters why he didn't pick Alford.

2. For virtually every IU fan, Donovan was the top guy, no doubt. But for many, Archie was right up there. Most probably had Marshall or the elder Miller higher, and several would have preferred Bennett, but for others, Archie's been the guy for years. If you come over to our side and do a search for "Archie," you'll find a number of us pushing him for coach in March 2015. Earlier this year, his support was huge. It's really only the people who honestly believe we could have gotten Donovan who are upset (plus a small band of morons who believe being able to shoot a jumper in 1987 is a primary coaching qualification).

4. I echo my fellow Hoosiers' thanks for helping get rid of Crean by beating our asses so badly.

Under our skin? You do realize that probably half of the posts on this 5 page thread are from IU posters right? Our rival got a new coach it's obviously going to be a discussion point. Don't flatter yourself. And you're welcome for beating your ass.

Under our skin? You do realize that probably half of the posts on this 5 page thread are from IU posters right? Our rival got a new coach it's obviously going to be a discussion point. Don't flatter yourself. And you're welcome for beating your ass.
Yes, yes, I know. I was running out of things to say earlier in my list than I expected, so I threw in a dumb one.

Marquette is a much better basketball school than UD. A Marquette coach should have much more success than a Dayton one.

Dayton went to 4 tourneys in a row, something never done at their program and never done by Crean in 18 f'n years of coaching at two separate P5 programs. They're 4th fiddle(at best) in their own state and have to compete with all the other regional schools in the Midwest as well.

To attempt to draw a comparable line from Crean to Archie is mental gymnastics at best, and downright basketball incompetence most likely. Sorry.

Yes and no. Yes, historically Marquette is better, but that doesn't mean Crean and Miller took over programs that were the same. Crean took over a program that had a losing record. Miller took over a NIT team and one a year removed from NIT champions. That's a big difference.

Crean did lead his team to 3 straight NCAA berths then left for IU, but the year he left Marquette that next year's team was loaded and ranked all season. Crean also landed Tyshawn Taylor at Marquette, who upon Crean leaving went to Kansas instead. Crean would likely be working on 8 to 10 straight right now if he had never left Marquette because of how good they were when he left and the recruits that were coming in.

No mental gymnastics, just facts.

Yes and no. Yes, historically Marquette is better, but that doesn't mean Crean and Miller took over programs that were the same. Crean took over a program that had a losing record. Miller took over a NIT team and one a year removed from NIT champions. That's a big difference.

Crean did lead his team to 3 straight NCAA berths then left for IU, but the year he left Marquette that next year's team was loaded and ranked all season. Crean also landed Tyshawn Taylor at Marquette, who upon Crean leaving went to Kansas instead. Crean would likely be working on 8 to 10 straight right now if he had never left Marquette because of how good they were when he left and the recruits that were coming in.

No mental gymnastics, just facts.

Those aren't facts, that's speculation on your part, Twin.

And Crean once upon a time had things "rolling" at IU with stud recruits only to massively underachieve the following year(s).

There's a reason his track record is as such and after 18 years there's more than enough evidence to put him in the below average coach category. He is certainly not deserving of a top 10 salary and recruiting budget.

Should've been fired after year 3. It's yet to be determined what Archie can do, but he's got much more promise than Crean ever did/does.

Reactions: IUforver

Sorry, the "basketball incompetence" is displayed in your thread. Marquette plays in the Big East with the Villanovas and Butlers and Xaviers and Georgetowns and such.

Dayton plays in the pathetic Atlantic Ten. Not one school in that conference can be considered anything other than a mid-major. It is MAC caliber.....

Last edited:
Sorry, here's the best your boy could do against the Rhode Islands and the Fordhams:

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Dayton Flyers
(Atlantic 10 Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Dayton 20–13 9–7 5th NIT First Round
2012–13 Dayton 17–14 7–9 11th
2013–14 Dayton 26–11 10–6 T–5th NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Dayton 27–9 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Dayton 25–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Round of 64
2016–17 Dayton 24–8 15–3 1st NCAA Round of 64
Dayton: 139–63 (.688) 68–34 (.667)

It's a double, a stand up double. Let it go at that, this thread needs to stop.

He's not a homerun hire, he was probably 4-5 on the Glass list of potential hires. He'll win games but he'll also lose games. It's very hard to win in East Lansing, Madison, Mackey, etc.

He's not a homerun hire, he was probably 4-5 on the Glass list of potential hires. He'll win games but he'll also lose games. It's very hard to win in East Lansing, Madison, Mackey, etc.

Agree with you. Well said sir.

I'm pretty sure that's what I stated at the beginning but agreed this has gotten to be a bit much.

I view it as the beginning of a fresh start to an old rivalry

Let's close this thread out. Enough has been said about this hire. think it is a reasonably good move by IU, but not a home run. We will see how this plays out.

I also think he will be good. But it is not the "sure thing" assumed by many of the snobbish IU faithful.

"We are a Top 5 Elite Blueblood".
"Money is no object"
"We can get whoever we want."

If that is true, why did IU not hire from at least these 10+ (in no particular order):

1. Brad Stevens
2. Billy Donovan
3. Coach K
4. Coach Cal
5. Roy Williams
6. Bill Self
7. Sean Miller (really had to laugh at this one in knowing the little brother got the nod...'little brother syndrome is mentioned by them so much)
8. Tom Izzo
9. Rick Pitino
10. Jim Boeheim
11. Jay Wright
12. Tony Bennett
13 I could easily add another 10 to this list.

Instead, IU hired a non-P5 coach who shows GREAT promise. But again, NOT the slam dunk TOP 5 in the world jobs they claim for hoops coaches.

Final point: I think Fred Glass is about 10% as smart as he thinks he is. Yes, he is smart. But not like he thinks.....

all likely to Indiana , good hire for them . Better way better than Crean , could turn out great but not the slam dunk many had hoped for.

Personally I see great things in their future with him , but that's just my opinion
I think he'll be the fifth in a row if you include Dakich who will never get IU to the promised land. Said the same about Davis, Sampson, Crean. My guess, he was about the fourth or fifth choice just as Crean was because IU is no longer a blue blood nor an elite program.

Coaching in the B10 against Izzo, Beilein, Painter, Collins, Matta and the rest will be a rude awakening. My guess....year four the fans will be clamoring for his dismissal.

No Donovan, No Alford, No Marshall, No Bennett, No Stevens....So Miller is at least the fifth or sixth choice. This may be the deal that gets Fred fired.

The same winning % Crean had at Marquette and Dayton is a lesser program. Doesn't say much at all, does it. And it will still be the same...if Izzo wants the Indiana kid, he gets him. If Alford wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. If Beilein wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. Archie Miller is not a coach that Indiana kids wanted to play for.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Alford was not wanted by 80% of the fans. Only those stuck in the past wanted anything to do with him or were disappointed. Most were celebrating the late night announcement that he was not going to be the guy.

I do not believe IU offered him the job. I think the negative reaction to his name being floated killed any chance.
You can't honestly say that. It wasn't 80% even on the IU board who didn't want him, and ESPN reported that Alford was the choice of most Hoosier fans. And if Fred were to read an internet forum to make a decision, then Fred should be fired.

How right you are. The idea that Donovan would consider us, like Stevens, is laughable. Maybe 25 years ago, but not now. Besides, Donovan takes over at elite program Kentucky in a few years when Cal hangs it up.

Hey Nostradumbass,

Crean still sucks.

No way you were getting Donovan, so yes, I do think It was about Alford. I think they knew right away they weren't getting Donovan. It was the idiot fans spreading rumors. He wasn't in Bloomington yesterday telling them no. He was never a serious option. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the timing of who said no last. All hires happen this way. A hire is made right after the last no.
You're right....Dead in the head Fred knew he wasn't going to get Donovan, or Brad, or Alford or Marshall, so at that point he had to go to the first breathing body that would say yes to a big paycheck. And, as luck would have it, no one else wanted Little Archie.

Reactions: *4purdue*
So glad my boiler brethren decided to start this IU thread, did twin put you guys up to this? Oh wait, his inside info still tells him cream coaches IU next year
And Twin's info also told you losers that Doyle was told the same thing about Crean a week earlier. And Twin told you losers that you'd never get Donovan, Stevens, Marshall, or Alford. How's that Tom Crean Light pick sitting with you? Same winning % in a weaker conference and still Sean's little brother.

Will he do better than Crean at IU....that's to be seen but I expect the same. And how sad that all of you who were singing Two Tone's praises after last season, were screaming for his head after this season. Let's see how Archie deals with the current group of "Me first's".

Last edited:
I also think he will be good. But it is not the "sure thing" assumed by many of the snobbish IU faithful.

"We are a Top 5 Elite Blueblood".
"Money is no object"
"We can get whoever we want."

If that is true, why did IU not hire from at least these 10+ (in no particular order):

1. Brad Stevens
2. Billy Donovan
3. Coach K
4. Coach Cal
5. Roy Williams
6. Bill Self
7. Sean Miller (really had to laugh at this one in knowing the little brother got the nod...'little brother syndrome is mentioned by them so much)
8. Tom Izzo
9. Rick Pitino
10. Jim Boeheim
11. Jay Wright
12. Tony Bennett
13 I could easily add another 10 to this list.

Instead, IU hired a non-P5 coach who shows GREAT promise. But again, NOT the slam dunk TOP 5 in the world jobs they claim for hoops coaches.

Final point: I think Fred Glass is about 10% as smart as he thinks he is. Yes, he is smart. But not like he thinks.....
I believe Fred and Morgan belong to the same fraternity!!!!

Reactions: StateStreet123
I think he'll be the fifth in a row if you include Dakich who will never get IU to the promised land. Said the same about Davis, Sampson, Crean. My guess, he was about the fourth or fifth choice just as Crean was because IU is no longer a blue blood nor an elite program.

Coaching in the B10 against Izzo, Beilein, Painter, Collins, Matta and the rest will be a rude awakening. My guess....year four the fans will be clamoring for his dismissal.

No Donovan, No Alford, No Marshall, No Bennett, No Stevens....So Miller is at least the fifth or sixth choice. This may be the deal that gets Fred fired.

The same winning % Crean had at Marquette and Dayton is a lesser program. Doesn't say much at all, does it. And it will still be the same...if Izzo wants the Indiana kid, he gets him. If Alford wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. If Beilein wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. Archie Miller is not a coach that Indiana kids wanted to play for.

Just my opinion.
Miller is a MAC caliber hire. It's just the same as when Burke plucked the best coach (for one year) out of the MAC, Darrell Hazell. Miller hasn't even sniffed at big-time basketball yet. He'll be a trainee for the first three years.

Miller is a MAC caliber hire. It's just the same as when Burke plucked the best coach (for one year) out of the MAC, Darrell Hazell.
Miller is a much better coach than DH. You'd be a better coach than DH. Miller is a mid-pack coach who got lucky just like Crean did when all the big boys turned the once vaunted IU down. Crean was number five just as Archie is. Crean was the hot pick at the time, just as Archie is today. TIC

My first impression was that he looks like Beaver Cleaver.

beaver-cleaver.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT