ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve was never coming back to IU. He said that after Brand screwed him over when RMK was fired.
Actually it was Tanya who said that she wouldn't subject her kids to the IU fans and that if Steve was moving to Bloomington he was going alone. It had nothing to,do with Brand.

Solid B. He'll be more consistent than Crean but not sure his teams will have the upside that Crean's did. And by that I mean that it was always in the back of my mind that Crean's team could catch fire and win any given game and even blow out any given opponent.

Not saying that Miller can't or won't put together good teams down there but I don't think this gets them any closer to a national championship like they claim is all that matters.

The one thing this hire does, which basically any hire they made would have done, is give them renewed life recruiting Indiana. I think most of Indiana had figured out what an odd ball Crean was by this point and top players weren't giving IU a serious look in most instances. They'll probably be a more viable contender for such recruits in the near future now that they have moved on from Crean.

Solid B. He'll be more consistent than Crean but not sure his teams will have the upside that Crean's did. And by that I mean that it was always in the back of my mind that Crean's team could catch fire and win any given game and even blow out any given opponent.

Not saying that Miller can't or won't put together good teams down there but I don't think this gets them any closer to a national championship like they claim is all that matters.

The one thing this hire does, which basically any hire they made would have done, is give them renewed life recruiting Indiana. I think most of Indiana had figured out what an odd ball Crean was by this point and top players weren't giving IU a serious look in most instances. They'll probably be a more viable contender for such recruits in the near future now that they have moved on from Crean.
The biggest problems with IU recruiting Indiana are Kentucky and Louisville. That will not change under Miller.

Steve Clevenger G 6-0 185 1967-68 Anderson (High)
Larry Steele F 6-5 185 1970-71 Bainbridge
Brad Bounds F-C 6-5 207 1966-67 Bluffton (High)
Robert Henne G 6-1 170 1948-49 Bremen (High)
Gene Stewart F 6-2 187 1966-67 Brookville (High)
Trey Lyles F 6-10 235 2014-15 Camby (Arsenal Tech (Indianapolis, IN))
Clyde Parker G 6-0 185 1942-43 Chrisney
Glen Parker G 5-10 170 1943-44 Chrisney
Mulford Davis F 6-1 185 1946-47 Elwood (High)
Don Whitehead F 6-0 155 1943-44 Evansville (Bosse)
Bill Trott G 1930-31 Evansville (Central)
Walter McCarty F 6-11 230 1995-96 Evansville (Harrison)
Jim Master G 6-5 170 1983-84 Fort Wayne (Paul Harding)
George Vulich C 6-8 1944-45 Gary (Froebel)
Tom Heitz F 6-9 215 1983-84 Hamilton (High)
Donald Orme F 1939-40 Indianapolis
Leroy Edwards C 6-4 215 1934-35 Indianapolis (Arsenal Tech)
Sean Woods G 6-2 180 1991-92 Indianapolis (Cathedral)
Marquis Teague G 6-2 189 2011-12 Indianapolis (Pike)
Louie Dampier G 6-0 167 1966-67 Indianapolis (Southport)
Mike Ballenger G 6-3 185 1981-82 Jasper (High)
Mike Flynn G 6-3 190 1974-75 Jeffersonville
Garland Lewis C 6-3 1935-36 Jeffersonville (High)
Homer Thompson C 6-4 215 1938-39 Jeffersonville (High)
Marvin Akers F 6-3 190 1942-43 Jeffersonville (High)
John Stewart C 7-0 280 1999-00 Lawrence (North)
Ron Kennett G 6-0 170 1964-65 Lawrenceburg
Arlan King F 6-3 185 1949-50 Madison (Saluda)
James Blackmon G 6-3 180 1986-87 Marion (High)
Julius Mays G 6-2 192 2012-13 Marion (High)
Keith Farnsley F 6-2 162 1940-41 New Albany
Jerry Hale G 6-1 178 1974-75 New Albany (Floyd Central)
Melvin Brewer C 6-5 194 1942-43 New Albany (High)
Dusty Mills G 5-8 165 2007-08 Noblesville (High)
Bill Barlow F 1942-43 North Vernon
Kyle Macy G 6-3 180 1979-80 Peru (High)
John Adams C-F 6-7 215 1964-65 Rising Sun
Tommy Kron F-G 6-5 202 1965-66 Tell City
Steve Lochmueller C-F 6-7 215 1973-74 Tell City
Howard Dardeen F 6-4 190 1958-59 Terre Haute (Gerstmeyer)
Roger Harden G 6-1 165 1985-86 Valparaiso (High)
Jack Schiffli F 6-3 185 1944-45 Washington (High)
Louis Robertson F 5-11 165 1941-42 Yorktown (High)
Jack Parkinson G 6-0 175 1947-48 Yorktown (High)
Cliff Barker G-F 6-2 185 1948-49 Yorktown (High)

So a coach that has never had to deal with primma donna players like 5 star kids, at age 38 is going to be able to control them, all while they are looking to go to the NBA in 1 year. Yeah, what a recipe for success. My God you are unhinged. Your last statement, this is why great coaches don't want to come to IU anymore, because of stupid shit like saying we're going to hang a banner in 5 years.
But, he's had to deal with his own recruits who were arrested, who were caught drugging and stealing. Players that he recruited to Dayton. But don't let facts get in the way of the delusional IU fans. My guess, the only banner IU is going to hang under Archie is the one over the south concession stand that says, "Hot Dogs half price."

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoris
Are you Hoosies aware that Miller's record at Dayton is almost identical to Crean's record at Marquette? If the past record is an indicator of future performance, you've traded in a Chevy for a Chevy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(basketball)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Miller_(basketball)

Thought most would say the old Big East Crean coached it was much better than the A10.

May Miller turn out to be good, sure, is he guaranteed, absolutely not. But when have IU fans ever been rational.

But, he's had to deal with his own recruits who were arrested, who were caught drinking and drugging. Players that he recruited to Dayton. But don't let facts get in the way of the delusional IU fans. My guess, the only banner IU is going to hang under Archie is the one over the south concession stand that says, "Hot Dogs half price."
Personally, I like the Miller hire. I think he's one of the better young coaches in the game. There may be some growing pains associated with the big leap he took; the IU job comes with a LOT of pressure. But if fans are patient and he picks up some recruiting steam early, he might do really well. If I were a gambling man, I'd wager that he'd win a title for IU before Painter does for Purdue. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, here's the best your boy could do against the Rhode Islands and the Fordhams:

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Dayton Flyers
(Atlantic 10 Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Dayton 20–13 9–7 5th NIT First Round
2012–13 Dayton 17–14 7–9 11th
2013–14 Dayton 26–11 10–6 T–5th NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Dayton 27–9 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Dayton 25–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Round of 64
2016–17 Dayton 24–8 15–3 1st NCAA Round of 64
Dayton: 139–63 (.688) 68–34 (.667)

The funny part about where he finished in the A10.
Butler was in the A10 one season (2012-2013)
Xavier also left the A10 for the Big east for the 2013-2014 season.

So the two top dogs leave and Dayton suddenly jumps up to the top of the A10.

Oh yeah. Then you haven't seen Archie's wife.:D
Okay....you made a valid point. When Arch starts losing like Two Tone, at least the guys will have something to look at.
Actually it was Tanya who said that she wouldn't subject her kids to the IU fans and that if Steve was moving to Bloomington he was going alone. It had nothing to,do with Brand.
You are correct about Tanya. But I also know what Steve said about coming back after the fiasco where he was going to be the coach post RMK. And that was Brand that screwed that pooch.

One other note as others above said, this was obviously option at least 4. There's no ifs ands or butts feelers were put out for Stevens, Donovan and Alford. Ultimately Alford said no and this lead to today's events.

There's no way that they didn't want Alford ( sorry iu guys he did turn you down ). We'll never know if there were any other possibilities but I'd wager there were.

I still think it's a fabulous hire. But let's put the koolaide up IU guys. This is definitely not what Glass promised last week. He promised the moon and the sky and settled in for a star. A small star that has the potential to shine

There's absolutely a way they didn't want Alford. Most of the IU fans I know were against him. Pretty sure the timelines Miller's dad talked about indicated IU was in talks with Miller before Alford was available to interview. I think it's likely that Alford said no thanks because he knew they were looking at other options. I don't think Miller was option 1 or 2 but definitely think he was above Alford and the other IU alum options.

There's absolutely a way they didn't want Alford. Most of the IU fans I know were against him. Pretty sure the timelines Miller's dad talked about indicated IU was in talks with Miller before Alford was available to interview. I think it's likely that Alford said no thanks because he knew they were looking at other options. I don't think Miller was option 1 or 2 but definitely think he was above Alford and the other IU alum options.
They didn't negotiate with Alford or Sean's little brother. They negotiate with their agents who get paid to do that.

Reactions: jadeezra
This is a strong hire.

The tough part about this is MILLER is going to recruit the same type of player Painter does in a way that Crean did not.
Here's my question HH.....if Miller is going to recruit Indiana, why is it that he signed no Indiana kids during his years at Dayton, which is less than 50 miles from the Indiana state line? And many of his players didn't come from Ohio during that time. Oh well, when the IU fans are wishing for a return of Two Tone, they can look at Mrs. Miller in the stands.

Morgan-Miller-4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my question HH.....if Miller is going to recruit Indiana, why is it that he signed no Indiana kids during his years at Dayton, which is less than 50 miles from the Indiana state line? And many of his players didn't come from Ohio during that time. Oh well, when the IU fans are wishing for a return of Two Tone, they can look at Mrs. Miller in the stands.

Morgan-Miller-4.jpg
Now creepy IU fan is posting pictures of coaches wife, uugghh. Take it to peeps fella

Miller's dad was interviewed Saturday. He said he sat and watched Stevie's Ball Stars get dissected by UK with a smirk on his face as the announcers kept talking Alford and IU. Ted Kitchel is fuming because IU gave token 15 minute "thanks for your interest" kinds of interviews to Woodson and Wittman. He said IU never even reached out to Alford and doesn't know if they reached out to Fife. Glass knew that despite immense pressure from donors who have facilities named after them, he couldn't bring damaged goods in to take over the program.

Nice season for you guys. Next season will be interesting for everybody.

Thought most would say the old Big East Crean coached it was much better than the A10.

May Miller turn out to be good, sure, is he guaranteed, absolutely not. But when have IU fans ever been rational.

Most of Crean's tenure at Marquette was spent in Conference USA, not the Big East.

Miller's dad was interviewed Saturday. He said he sat and watched Stevie's Ball Stars get dissected by UK with a smirk on his face as the announcers kept talking Alford and IU. Ted Kitchel is fuming because IU gave token 15 minute "thanks for your interest" kinds of interviews to Woodson and Wittman. He said IU never even reached out to Alford and doesn't know if they reached out to Fife. Glass knew that despite immense pressure from donors who have facilities named after them, he couldn't bring damaged goods in to take over the program.

Nice season for you guys. Next season will be interesting for everybody.
You know, Sean's father can say what he wants in the press. Whether true or not, only he knows. As for Kitchell, the same.
As I've told you before, Alford said way back during the firing of RMK that he'd never come back to coach IU.

Now...why is it Sean's little brother has never had an Indiana kid on his teams? You think that won't be pointed out to Indiana HS coaches and players?

I think he's a decent coach in a lesser conference where teams get automatic bids. There's a reason other better programs left that conference. And again, he's no better than Crean...but his teams do play defense. As you and I have spoken before, IU is no longer a blue blood nor a highly desired job.

Good luck with your newest fifth choice.

You know, Sean's father can say what he wants in the press. Whether true or not, only he knows. As for Kitchell, the same.
As I've told you before, Alford said way back during the firing of RMK that he'd never come back to coach IU.

Now...why is it Sean's little brother has never had an Indiana kid on his teams? You think that won't be pointed out to Indiana HS coaches and players?

I think he's a decent coach in a lesser conference where teams get automatic bids. There's a reason other better programs left that conference. And again, he's no better than Crean...but his teams do play defense. As you and I have spoken before, IU is no longer a blue blood nor a highly desired job.

Good luck with your newest fifth choice.

When did New Haven secede from Indiana? May want to look into that "no Indiana kids at Dayton" thing again.

That's funny. Wait till IU fans get a load of Archie Miller's wife !!!! She bashed Northwestern in a weird twitter rant. She will absolutely defleece IU nation if they so much as say one negative thing about Archie Miller. You think Gregg Marshall's wife was bad in Indy this last week, HA !! Morgan is a piece of work.
http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/a...rn-twitter-some-reason-after-cats-beat-dayton

When did New Haven secede from Indiana? May want to look into that "no Indiana kids at Dayton" thing again.
Okay....I missed one. Thanks for pointing out his only Indiana player didn't academically qualify. He'll fit right in at Indiana University based on Davis', Sampson's, and Crean's players. And those kids he had to kick off for stealing....yep, he'll do well.;)

crean WAS INDEED an oddball, a strange dude, i heard that first hand from a former in-state college coach who would chat with him from time to time at high schools while recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC4THREE
Well, funny thing is there are more PU fans who think this a good hire than IU fans...........they have been led around for awhile now into believing it was at least 2 other, maybe 3, candidates. Crean's numbers weren't horrible, but yes it was a better hire. Rebuilding hire........and that stings a bit for IU fans. But I will say that it has brought many of them to earth about the state of their program. No shame in that. Hope our rivalry heats up again.
wha . . . ??!

rebuilding hire? Do you really think so?

That's what Cream was supposed to be . . . a "rebuilding hire" until the program was high enough to hire their savior.

I think he'll be the fifth in a row if you include Dakich who will never get IU to the promised land. Said the same about Davis, Sampson, Crean. My guess, he was about the fourth or fifth choice just as Crean was because IU is no longer a blue blood nor an elite program.

Coaching in the B10 against Izzo, Beilein, Painter, Collins, Matta and the rest will be a rude awakening. My guess....year four the fans will be clamoring for his dismissal.

No Donovan, No Alford, No Marshall, No Bennett, No Stevens....So Miller is at least the fifth or sixth choice. This may be the deal that gets Fred fired.

The same winning % Crean had at Marquette and Dayton is a lesser program. Doesn't say much at all, does it. And it will still be the same...if Izzo wants the Indiana kid, he gets him. If Alford wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. If Beilein wants the Indiana kid, he'll get him. Archie Miller is not a coach that Indiana kids wanted to play for.

Just my opinion.
I'm copying and will one day paste this post.

I'm copying and will one day paste this post.
You think he's going to take IU to the promised land? Davis couldn't do it, Sampson couldn't do it, Crean couldn't do it. And Archie, even with his daddy bragging about him ain't gonna' do it. Is he better than Crean...yep. Is he better than Mike Davis....maybe. Is he better than Sampson....no way. Save and post whatever you want.:D

And this fall, the Curse of Robert Montgomery Knight part four begins. It's been paid for.

Reactions: TMA62
You think he's going to take IU to the promised land? Davis couldn't do it, Sampson couldn't do it, Crean couldn't do it. And Archie, even with his daddy bragging about him ain't gonna' do it. Is he better than Crean...yep. Is he better than Mike Davis....maybe. Is he better than Sampson....no way. Save and post whatever you want.:D

And this fall, the Curse of Robert Montgomery Knight part four begins. It's been paid for.
You seem like a lunatic.

You seem like a lunatic.
Yeah, I'm a lunatic. I'm not the one that's going to save someone else's post and re-post it at some imaginary time in the future. I remember when your username was different and had two "r's" in it and when you were singing the praises of Crean, Sampson, and Mike Davis. Yeah, I'm a lunatic...LMFAO.

weird how they invited everyone to come see Archie Miller talk... aren't press conferences traditionally in a smaller press area with just the media invited and some family and perhaps a few friends? I could be wrong on that, but this is the university that gave out sweet-sixteen rings and had their own trophy built for the trophy case, and also cut down the nets AFTER a loss on its home court to Ohio State in an empty Assembly Hall, and as a result, had to SHARE the B1G title. smh.

weird how they invited everyone to come see Archie Miller talk... aren't press conferences traditionally in a smaller press area with just the media invited and perhaps some family and a few friends? I could be wrong on that, but this is the university that gave out sweet-sixteen rings and had their own trophy built for the trophy case, and also cut down the nets AFTER a loss on its home court to Ohio State in an empty Assembly Hall, and as a result, had to SHARE the B1G title. smh.
Because.....this is IU's basketball savior. Edition number four.

Reactions: jadeezra
Because.....this is IU's basketball savior. Edition number four.
If they would have gotten a coach with at least one ring or some string of final-fours, they could have been brought back from the ashes... but instead, they will settle for a rebuilding year next year.....if you haven't heard, anyone with talent is either transferring or going to the NBA, and as far as the new recruits, 2 out of three just announced they want their releases. Then Robert Johnson tweeted a rocket-ship on his twitter page. (In other words, he is transferring). All of this happened right after the press conference. During the press conference, Archie said the existing players "were his", wow.... no wonder there is a mass exodus. Crean is smiling.
https://twitter.com/robjohnson4_?lang=en

Morgan-Miller-4.jpg

Wow.

I fully realize it's just a message board, and hyperbole-filled opinions are the norm, but you post like a trash-talking middle school kid who has been consistently proven wrong, and responds by doubling down on invective. Given your track record, I'm not sure that any of the credible posters here (and there are more than a few) are okay with this.

Insults, name calling, a misstatement, and just for good measure a swimsuit pic of the new IU coach's wife? From a supposed grown man basketball fan, and especially after a good year for the Purdue program?

I know I'm not the boss of you and I'm a visitor on this board, so I'll defer from this thread, but yeesh...

Wow.

I fully realize it's just a message board, and hyperbole-filled opinions are the norm, but you post like a trash-talking middle school kid who has been consistently proven wrong, and responds by doubling down on invective. Given your track record, I'm not sure that any of the credible posters here (and there are more than a few) are okay with this.

Insults, name calling, a misstatement, and just for good measure a swimsuit pic of the new IU coach's wife? From a supposed grown man basketball fan, and especially after a good year for the Purdue program?

I know I'm not the boss of you and I'm a visitor on this board, so I'll defer from this thread, but yeesh...
Oh get over yourself. When the coaches wife does what Miller's wife does, she's fair game. She constantly calls attention to herself, and I'm guessing after a period of time, you IU fans will find her a bore, a loud-mouth, and before long someone will tell her to shut the hell up. I know that it's been done in Dayton.

But then....it's the new IU where her kind of behavior is appreciated and expected so I may be wrong. And my track record is just fine. I said no Alford, No Donovan, No Marshall, no Bennett and no Brad....and yes, I did say Crean was safe one more year and was wrong on that one. Happy now?

Oh, and enjoy your new fifth best choice. Just like you did Tom Crean.

weird how they invited everyone to come see Archie Miller talk... aren't press conferences traditionally in a smaller press area with just the media invited and some family and perhaps a few friends? I could be wrong on that, but this is the university that gave out sweet-sixteen rings and had their own trophy built for the trophy case, and also cut down the nets AFTER a loss on its home court to Ohio State in an empty Assembly Hall, and as a result, had to SHARE the B1G title. smh.

"had to SHARE the B1G title"

If you'e going to rant you should at least get your facts straight.IU still won the B1G outright,(even after losing that game to OSU), by virtue of winning at UM on the following Sunday.And last season IU won the B1G outright by 2 games,like PU did this season...

All 3 of those teams proceeded to lose in the S16.IU lost to Syracuse and UNC,both of whom ended up in the FF4.UNC was seconds away from winning it all.PU lost to Kansas who came close to the FF4...

My guess, the only banner IU is going to hang under Archie is the one over the south concession stand that says, "Hot Dogs half price."
Whew, this is a relief. The joke's on you, GBI faithful. Twin doesn't like the new IU coach because his last name isn't Alford, so you get to keep him. IU dodged a bullet by not listening to the "glory days" crowd that thought it had to be an IU guy get the job. And IU fans dodged a bullet in that Twin won't be coming home to IU message boards any time soon. Tough break for the Boilers!

"had to SHARE the B1G title"

If you'e going to rant you should at least get your facts straight.IU still won the B1G outright,(even after losing that game to OSU), by virtue of winning at UM on the following Sunday.And last season IU won the B1G outright by 2 games,like PU did this season...

All 3 of those teams proceeded to lose in the S16.IU lost to Syracuse and UNC,both of whom ended up in the FF4.UNC was seconds away from winning it all.PU lost to Kansas who came close to the FF4...
UNC seconds away from winning ha, that's makes IU's blowout loss to UNC all the better huh? ok, you must approve of the cutting down of the nets and sweet sixteen rings, plus you also approve of the display case fake trophy. all good... keep putting up banners of fake victories like the Colts do "AFC Championship FINALIST" By the way, Syracuse totally out-coached Indiana, like by a light-year. Crean was fumbling around with his stat-sheet while a potential national championship caliber team pissed away any hope against a Syracuse team that was one of Beohiems below average teams and was given momentum by Crean's ridiculous tactical vacuum.

Last edited:
Whew, this is a relief. The joke's on you, GBI faithful. Twin doesn't like the new IU coach because his last name isn't Alford, so you get to keep him. IU dodged a bullet by not listening to the "glory days" crowd that thought it had to be an IU guy get the job. And IU fans dodged a bullet in that Twin won't be coming home to IU message boards any time soon. Tough break for the Boilers!
Never said I didn't like Little Arch....I actually rooted for Dayton when they made that lucky run. What I've said is he's no better than Tom Crean, who you were all in love with when eh was hired. For those of you uninformed loosier fans, Alford would have absolutely been the best choice to unite the fan base and lock up Indiana kids. He's already taken as many Indiana kids to UCLA in four years as Archie did to Dayton in 8, and I'm guessing he'll get more. I'm sure you guys will be happy with settling again, just as you did with Tom Crean. And for your info, I was asked here by a Boiler if I would return to the IU fold if Alford came back and my answer was no....that I'd still be a fan of the Boilers, but I would wish Alford well. Just as I do any former IU player who played at IU when IU was relevant.

Hey Upright, what's your thoughts about this and your new coach since you've been bitching about Pierce and Alford.

Here's another interesting article that I hadn't seen....shades of Iowa and Pierce:

Dyshawn Pierre was chosen as an All-Atlantic 10 Conference Second Team Selection.[8] As a junior playing as a starter in the guard position, Pierre appeared in the "First Four" game held at The University of Dayton Arena that opened the 2015 NCAA Men's Division 1 basketball tournament. He scored nine points [9] in a close come-back win for the Dayton Flyers against the Boise State Broncos to earn a place in the 64 team tournament. Comically, he found his shorts around his ankles [10] after retrieving one of his six rebounds in the middle of the second half. In the second game of the tournament, Pierre scored 20 points, leading the Flyers over the sixth-seeded Providence Friars for an upset win, 66-53.[11] Notably, Pierre spun inside with two minutes to play, put the ball in the hoop, and sank the "and one" foul shot.

Pierre was accused of sexual assault which was alleged to have occurred on April 23, 2015 and was reported to the University of Dayton in May. Pierre denied the allegations, stating that the sex was consensual. The Montgomery County, Ohio prosecutor's office declined to press charges against the basketball player, citing insufficient evidence. Nonetheless, the University of Dayton suspended Pierre for the fall semester, meaning he would be eligible to play basketball on December 22. He has hired a lawyer and is fighting the suspension.[12] (jsu He was allowed back on the team for the 2015-16 season just as Pierce was at Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT