ADVERTISEMENT

Another Guard…

He won't shoot 51% in B10, in fact, it's highly likely that you'll see his minutes continue to decrease as Morton gets more playing time.
He probably won’t shoot 51%, but he’ll likely be among the leaders in the conference in three point shooting percentage.

I watch IT off the ball and he is very active. He also draws a lot of defensive attention because teams are scared to leave him alone. This helps open things up for everyone else. As Matt Painter often says, players like Ivey, Williams, and Edey need space to operate and IT is one of the players who it great at creating space.

That said, you might be right on Morton. He’s a very good complimentary player.

Reactions: Schnelk

Toronto Raptors draft: Marcus Carr could be a solid scorer​

Carr is more than just a scorer. He can play solid on-ball defense, is adept at creating turnovers, and is actually a good rebounder for someone his size. Carr will not be a liability on the defensive end when he comes into the pros.

Even with all of that, Carr will make noise in the NBA due to his scoring ability. A solid penetrator and playmaker off of the dribble, Carr pairs tremendous playmaking and distribution ability with a quickness in his game that makes him a slightly less efficient version of some of the game’s best offensive point guards.

Yeh, this guy wouldn't have helped Purdue. After all, we have IT and EH, who have similar skill sets and can pretty much do everything Carr can do......ummm..what?

Do you know all the things that could be said about ANY athlete, about what they COULD be?! Wow.

Besides, who would have replaced him once transferred to another school?

Dude, he's not hiring you as his agent. Give it up.

Carr is more than just a scorer. He can play solid on-ball defense, is adept at creating turnovers, and is actually a good rebounder for someone his size. Carr will not be a liability on the defensive end when he comes into the pros.

Even with all of that, Carr will make noise in the NBA due to his scoring ability. A solid penetrator and playmaker off of the dribble, Carr pairs tremendous playmaking and distribution ability with a quickness in his game that makes him a slightly less efficient version of some of the game’s best offensive point guards.

Yeh, this guy wouldn't have helped Purdue. After all, we have IT and EH, who have similar skill sets and can pretty much do everything Carr can do......ummm..what?
He's not coming to Purdue. Unless you have done your job.

Oh wow. A Raptors fanboy blog thinks he “could be” a solid scorer… Instead of the inefficient chucker, 2 time coach-killer that he actually is. What a find!

I've always said IT is a good spot up 3 pt shooter. He just doesn't provide anything else.
Other than 78% ft shooter and 2.5 ato ratio. Dude is solid. I like Morton too but knocking IT is ludicrous. Plenty of room for both IMO.

Yeh, we’ve got IT and Hunter. They’re just as good as Carr.
Now you're getting it!

But still not understanding the fact that Carr isn't and won't be playing for Purdue. You are emotionally struggling with letting it go.

Now you're getting it!

But still not understanding the fact that Carr isn't and won't be playing for Purdue. You are emotionally struggling with letting it go.
If you are a poor to mediocre team, and you need a guy to come in and jack up a bunch of shots and hit 37% of them, Carr’s your man.

Now you're getting it!

I know since you're a Lil Feller, you love Lil guards, but Carr would have been (reach back into that grade school education and remember what past tense means) a major upgrade over both had Painter landed him from the portal.

I know since you're a Lil Feller, you love Lil guards, but Carr would have been (reach back into that grade school education and remember what past tense means) a major upgrade over both had Painter landed him from the portal.
If you were arguing for Kellan Grady or Rasir Bolden I would kind of get it, but I can’t see being upset that Painter didn’t pursue Marcus Carr. I just don’t see him as a fit at all.

If you were arguing for Kellan Grady or Rasir Bolden I would kind of get it, but I can’t see being upset that Painter didn’t pursue Marcus Carr. I just don’t see him as a fit at all.
unfortunately, that's what some people just don't understand.

When Painter says, "you have to get over yourself", that means it's not about you, it's about the team.

Purdue isn't for everyone. Life is not simply a "plug and play" exercise. If you don't fit the culture, you're going to be in the wrong place. For Painter, if you're not about the team you shouldn't be here. Go somewhere else. Go to a LOT of "somewhere-elses", if necessary (apparently, it is).

I don't know how much more we need to know, when a player keeps transferring and skipping out on his team, he hasn't gotten over himself. It's an really dumb argument to make, to argue for bringing in someone you think brings nothing more to the table than "talent".

I've been on teams with people like that. They don't help you win. They create problems.

I suspect there are a good 10-20 guards that might be an upgrade over our current roster. I got to ask, SO WHAT? There might be another 10-20 guards who look great in their current setting but would be detrimental to our team and would not get court time.

We have those kids that said yes to Painter. I can guarantee Painter asked a lot of kids to come to Purdue, but we don't have the weird luxury of picking and choosing who we get on our teams as you are inferring.

See mathboy's reality-based reply.

unfortunately, that's what some people just don't understand.

When Painter says, "you have to get over yourself", that means it's not about you, it's about the team.

Purdue isn't for everyone. Life is not simply a "plug and play" exercise. If you don't fit the culture, you're going to be in the wrong place. For Painter, if you're not about the team you shouldn't be here. Go somewhere else. Go to a LOT of "somewhere-elses", if necessary (apparently, it is).

I don't know how much more we need to know, when a player keeps transferring and skipping out on his team, he hasn't gotten over himself. It's an really dumb argument to make, to argue for bringing in someone you think brings nothing more to the table than "talent".

I've been on teams with people like that. They don't help you win. They create problems.
Just like Duke isn't for everyone. Do you think Purdue is unique? (it's not).

Is a player who leaves early "skipping out on his team"?
After all, if he's that good, he's costing his teammates a shot at becoming legends.

And I love how all you psychiatrists have already psychoanalyzed Carr and think he'd be a bad fit.

Is every player who enters the portal a bad fit? Should Painter never sign a guy from the portal or only guys who are NBA caliber?

I suspect there are a good 10-20 guards that might be an upgrade over our current roster. I got to ask, SO WHAT? There might be another 10-20 guards who look great in their current setting but would be detrimental to our team and would not get court time.

We have those kids that said yes to Painter. I can guarantee Painter asked a lot of kids to come to Purdue, but we don't have the weird luxury of picking and choosing who we get on our teams as you are inferring.
The entire debate all along has been that Painter should have upgraded the guard position through the portal. Maybe he reached out to every guard available who he thought could help and they all turned him down. We don't know that.
But, outside of Ivey, it's abundantly clear (and if you don't agree, then you're not watching the games), that this teams biggest weakness is a secondary ball handling guard who can do more than shoot jumpshots.

After all, if he's that good, he's costing his teammates a shot at becoming legends.

And I love how all you psychiatrists have already psychoanalyzed Carr and think he'd be a bad fit.

Is every player who enters the portal a bad fit? Should Painter never sign a guy from the portal or only guys who are NBA caliber?
Yes, Purdue is unique.

Purdue has had two D@MN coaches in the last 42 years, and for good reason: WE ARE UNIQUE. What the hell about that does NOT scream out at you that Purdue is unique??

"It's not"???? You're flipping insane. Purdue is all about team, and other details not easily accepted by the "me first" players.

What the hell??! You think all players approach the game the same??? Holy cow, brother!

I don't think "Carr (is a) bad fit". I don't think he fits Purdue. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together should see that, based on history. Could HE adjust, and become a fit? Yes.

Good luck with that.

Everyone knows that Painter has accepted several transfers. Carr apparently was one he did not want.

Are you so desperately dragging this out because you think it's an argument you can't lose (but can't win, either)? Are you so hungry for a win in your life that you celebrate when the team loses and you pick an argument that can't be proven one way or another, just so you can't lose?

As stated above, SO WHAT? Carr and Xavier Johnson aren't at Purdue and apparently aren't coming to Purdue in the 2nd semester, so you can rest easy that you can't be proven wrong. You can make up any scenario you want about how they would have led Purdue to 35 wins and a National Championship, and no one can prove you wrong. Throw in 100 more player's names so that there will be 100 more arguments where you can't be proven wrong. Then think of each and every one as personal victories.

The rest of us will enjoy watching the team that's on the floor.

Reactions: mathboy
Everyone knows that Painter has accepted several transfers. Carr apparently was one he did not want.

Are you so desperately dragging this out because you think it's an argument you can't lose (but can't win, either)? Are you so hungry for a win in your life that you celebrate when the team loses and you pick an argument that can't be proven one way or another, just so you can't lose?

As stated above, SO WHAT? Carr and Xavier Johnson aren't at Purdue and apparently aren't coming to Purdue in the 2nd semester, so you can rest easy that you can't be proven wrong. You can make up any scenario you want about how they would have led Purdue to 35 wins and a National Championship, and no one can prove you wrong. Throw in 100 more player's names so that there will be 100 more arguments where you can't be proven wrong. Then think of each and every one as personal victories.

Andy, I think you are getting it. These arguments about players on other teams that some how, could help our team if they had come to Purdue are both witless and unprovable. Right now, the focus is on guards. Why not spread it to wings? Maybe centers? That big center at Gonzaga might be a better player than William. Why didn’t we upgrade our wings and our center position through this magical transfer portal? What the heck was Painter thinking?

Try to spit that hook out of your mouth. You were sincere in attempting to help others understand reality here, but your kindness has been repaid with snarky and ego-centric responses. I’d leave this thread for the crows.

:cool:.

Yes, Purdue is unique.

Purdue has had two D@MN coaches in the last 42 years, and for good reason: WE ARE UNIQUE. What the hell about that does NOT scream out at you that Purdue is unique??

"It's not"???? You're flipping insane. Purdue is all about team, and other details not easily accepted by the "me first" players.

What the hell??! You think all players approach the game the same??? Holy cow, brother!

I don't think "Carr (is a) bad fit". I don't think he fits Purdue. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together should see that, based on history. Could HE adjust, and become a fit? Yes.

Good luck with that.
We’ve had 2 coaches in 42 years and we’ve got a total of 3 Elite 8 appearances in that time frame. We’re averaging an Elite 8 every 14 years….(and no FF appearances). So, tell me again how we’re unique?

Is Purdue only unique in basketball? After all, we’ve had 4 head coaches for football in the last 15 years.

So, it sounds like you’re saying I’m right?
Thanks for confirming Lil Feller.

Andy, I think you are getting it. These arguments about players on other teams that some how, could help our team if they had come to Purdue are both witless and unprovable. Right now, the focus is on guards. Why not spread it to wings? Maybe centers? That big center at Gonzaga might be a better player than William. Why didn’t we upgrade our wings and our center position through this magical transfer portal? What the heck was Painter thinking?

Try to spit that hook out of your mouth. You were sincere in attempting to help others understand reality here, but your kindness has been repaid with snarky and ego-centric responses. I’d leave this thread for the crows.

:cool:.
Did they invite you to their selfie sharing chat?

Did they invite you to their selfie sharing chat?
What you are sharing with us is embarrassing. You have been pushed into really stupid responses that have really lowered my assessment of you. Maybe you should just let this whole subject ride and stop respoding. Between your weak takes about our team, combined with the name calling has put you pretty far down the list of posters I will pay attention to in the future. Too bad you allowed yourself to get sucked into this hole.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
We’ve had 2 coaches in 42 years and we’ve got a total of 3 Elite 8 appearances in that time frame. We’re averaging an Elite 8 every 14 years….(and no FF appearances). So, tell me again how we’re unique?

Is Purdue only unique in basketball? After all, we’ve had 4 head coaches for football in the last 15 years.
We are talking basketball. My point remains, and leave the goalposts alone... 😉

What you are sharing with us is embarrassing. You have been pushed into really stupid responses that have really lowered my assessment of you. Maybe you should just let this whole subject ride and stop respoding. Between your weak takes about our team, combined with the name calling has put you pretty far down the list of posters I will pay attention to in the future. Too bad you allowed yourself to get sucked into this hole.
Get over yourself.
If you don't like the discussion, ignore it.
I'm enjoying the debate and discussion.
No one is making you open this particular thread.

Reactions: johnboiler123
We are talking basketball. My point remains, and leave the goalposts alone... 😉
I'm sure every graduate of every school thinks their program is unique and theirs is more unique than the next guys. That's OK for you to believe that. While I do think it's unique we've had 2 coaches in 42 years, what's that translated to in terms of success nationally?

I'm sure every graduate of every school thinks their program is unique and theirs is more unique than the next guys. That's OK for you to believe that. While I do think it's unique we've had 2 coaches in 42 years, what's that translated to in terms of success nationally?
Good grief, dude. You stated something demonstrably false. You're not 'debating' anything, you're just trying throw out random words as a means of taking a 💩 on Purdue.

We have a highly unique program. Loads of success, even nationally, with only 2 head coaches in 42 years, both which will ultimately be viewed as legendary.

Good grief, dude. You stated something demonstrably false. You're not 'debating' anything, you're just trying throw out random words as a means of taking a 💩 on Purdue.

We have a highly unique program. Loads of success, even nationally, with only 2 head coaches in 42 years, both which will ultimately be viewed as legendary.
I love Purdue, but I'm just a realist. Is it unique we've had 2 coaches in 42 years? Sure, I guess so.
But what have we done unique on a national scale? That we make an E8 on average every 14 years? Is that unique? What I DO think is unique is that we haven't make a Final Four in 42 years. So, you might have a point there.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
I love Purdue, but I'm just a realist. Is it unique we've had 2 coaches in 42 years? Sure, I guess so.
But what have we done unique on a national scale? That we make an E8 on average every 14 years? Is that unique? What I DO think is unique is that we haven't make a Final Four in 42 years. So, you might have a point there.
You're a realist?
So Purdue is unique in only making an E8 every 14 years? Because all other NCAA Div 1 teams make an E8 much more frequently?
Purdue is unique in not having made a FF in 42 years? Because we are the only school to not make a FF the past 42 years?

Hmmm. I don't have time to look those tidbits up right now, but somehow I'm thinkin' that ain't real.

I'll stick with the people nationally who rave about this program, not some internet jockey looking to crap all over it and the players.

"realist"

You're a realist?
So Purdue is unique in only making an E8 every 14 years? Because all other NCAA Div 1 teams make an E8 much more frequently?
Purdue is unique in not having made a FF in 42 years? Because we are the only school to not make a FF the past 42 years?

Hmmm. I don't have time to look those tidbits up right now, but somehow I'm thinkin' that ain't real.
Here’s your assignment Lil Andy:
Figure out which other B10 teams haven’t been to the FF in the last 42 years.
Then, do the same with the other P5 conferences and we’ll see what unique company Purdue is in.

I'll stick with the people nationally who rave about this program, not some internet jockey looking to crap all over it and the players.

"realist"
Rave on my man!! I’ll keep my bar for greatness a little bit higher.

I’ve been avoiding this thread like the covid..
But is the Shaka fanboy actually complaining about Painter recruiting a 5’10” point guard?

A little context.. Shaka rode a 5’10” PG named Joey Rodriguez to his magical VCU final four run back in 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT