ADVERTISEMENT

Another Guard…

BoilerDeac

All-American
Oct 21, 2014
New York, NY
There’s plenty of time for it to happen, but someone is going to have to step up as a creator, other than Ivey, at the guard spot.

I was hoping it might be Newman, but he’s struggled to start the year. Hunter really isn’t the answer.

Thankful to get that win but hopefully it was also a bit of a wake-up call!

There’s plenty of time for it to happen, but someone is going to have to step up as a creator, other than Ivey, at the guard spot.

I was hoping it might be Newman, but he’s struggled to start the year. Hunter really isn’t the answer.

Its tough. I like the upside of Newman over Sasha. But when Sasha on he's really on.

I think we need an old fashioned point guard who can bring the ball up the floor and orchestrate the offense. Hunter should be able to do this by now - he cannot.
That’s Thompson. He struggled a little tonight, especially after falling hard. Don’t know if he was just shaken up or maybe a minor injury (hopefully just a bruised hip) but he wasn’t the same after that.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
This. IT’s injury was clearly impacting him after the fall. He had no issues against FSU’s pressure.
FSU’s wasn’t as aggressive….but…we really had no issue with the pressure until IT went out.

Hunter too content to take his time. I know they are instructed to relax and allow teammates to help them but when teammates aren’t helping you’ve gotta be aggressive and Hunter wasn’t.

FSU’s wasn’t as aggressive….but…we really had no issue with the pressure until IT went out.

Hunter too content to take his time. I know they are instructed to relax and allow teammates to help them but when teammates aren’t helping you’ve gotta be aggressive and Hunter wasn’t.
I beat up Hunter enough during the game thread, so I won't again here. But what I don't understand is why Morton wasn't given any playing time during that stretch of pressure. That part makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:
I beat up Hunter enough during the game thread, so I won't again here. But what I don't understand is why Morton wasn't given any playing time during that stretch of pressure. That part makes zero sense to me.
Agree. I also think when we are being pressed that Ivy needs to be the second guy to get it and ultimately the guy who breaks it. We haven’t been heavily pressed in the last 5 years because every time we were we generally made teams pay by breaking it easily and getting free points on the back end. But live and learn. A win is a win is a win. Love a win where we can learn a lesson too. This one will serve us well come March.

I’ve been harping on this issue of 2 years now and is why I was so disappointed Painter didn’t get someone from the portal. It’s also why I wasn’t crazy about the Braden Smith signing.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Give the ball to Ivey and watch him go. Not sure why he didn't come to the ball when they were pressing this is basketball 101. As a fan I could see the trap coming and everyone just stood still. Good to win and learn. Hard to believe you have to tell D1 players the basics of the game. Let alone the #1 team in the land. I have no problem with our point guards each time they stopped or backed up waiting on the help which didn't come time after time I doubt another team will get away with this, but I am sure they will try.

We finally have ONE and now you expect TWO??? ;0)

Enough with knocking our point guards. As Old Boiler said, breaking the press requires the team to help the PG when he gets trapped. Time and time again Iowa ran the press and our players left the PG out there on his own. Why did Ivey or Sasha come out to mid court to catch a outlet pass? What the heck. Don't just watch the ball, watch what the other players are doing too.

Enough with knocking our point guards. As Old Boiler said, breaking the press requires the team to help the PG when he gets trapped. Time and time again Iowa ran the press and our players left the PG out there on his own. Why did Ivey or Sasha come out to mid court to catch a outlet pass? What the heck. Don't just watch the ball, watch what the other players are doing too.
Exactly. You could see the guards were on their heels every time they approached the 10 second line. That's not solely on guard play. That is equally on the other 4 players to find space and have the ability to think quickly once you have the ball. A "team" breaks the press, because as soon as you have the ball the double is coming. This problem is on Painter to find ways to use the players he has to defeat the press. You don't just say "hey go beat the press". You have a leader on the other end of the court designing defensive plays and you have to solve them.

I agree with you. But I also saw Hunter, several times, hesitate about 3/4 of the way up the court and then try to back out of the trap. Then try to pass as the trap got to him. He should have been aggressive toward the trap at half court. Instead he got trapped further back the court and threw right into the passing lanes. It was a bad night for Eric with 5 turnovers.

Hunter is not a point guard and really never played it until last year. I’m not surprised that he struggles against pressure. He is what he is: an undersized 2 that is a good defender and okay shooter.

Coach Norman Dale: I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

Leave the ball, will you?

giphy.gif

Good to see the trolls are out. Can't stand to see UNDEFEATED NUMBER 1 PURDUE.

Good to see the trolls are out. Can't stand to see UNDEFEATED NUMBER 1 PURDUE.
I think you need to look up the definition of what trolling is. I’m not trying to troll.

This is a special team. But a #1 ranking doesn’t mean much if Purdue gets bounced early in March.

Go Boilers. Cheers.

I’ve been harping on this issue of 2 years now and is why I was so disappointed Painter didn’t get someone from the portal. It’s also why I wasn’t crazy about the Braden Smith signing.
I believe the more appropriate term for what you do is "carping" not harping.

Reactions: Purdue85
I believe the more appropriate term for what you do is "carping" not harping.
Bonefish tends to live in the “next great player” world. The guy you don’t know and have never seen play is “obviously” better than the guys currently on the roster. Why? Because we’ve seen the current guy make mistakes, miss shots, and fumble passes. That mystery guy in the transfer portal doesn’t have those flaws, at least in his mind. We’ve chewed on him before about this tendency, but people struggle to change (me too!).

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT