ADVERTISEMENT

2024 recruiting dilemma?

It’s not hard at all! Make the decision to sit a couple of your experienced guys and give the new guys their time. The outcome means nothing and stiff college competition providing teachable minutes could end up being priceless in the big picture. That’s overly simplistic but based on some truth about obtaining value while in reality risking very little.
Is the value of your "experienced" players experiencing those teachable moments not greater? Smith, Loyer, Jones? Was the value of them experiencing the teachable moments going to bring more value over the year? I won't include Morton and give you that opp to bring his minuted into this debate.

Is the value of your "experienced" players experiencing those teachable moments not greater? Smith, Loyer, Jones? Was the value of them experiencing the teachable moments going to bring more value over the year? I won't include Morton and give you that opp to bring his minuted into this debate.
Coach K was notorious for pulling his starting 5 and making them sit the bench while the second string tried to figure it out. Makes for a valuable lesson that your minutes aren’t your minutes.

No! Real game experience is what we’re talking about. Smith Loyer and especially Jones have similar game experience from games they have already played in. We’re not even discussing holding them out of the game altogether to let the newer players get the needed experience, just decreasing their time to allow for a potentially stronger team. Stronger because you got more players valuable minutes. Those minutes also allow you to evaluate those players against different competition. These are the type of guys the coach on multiple occasions has said we’re lacking. The type players we need to be able to play. Talented guys that don’t have the experience to develop while gaining trust in the long run. It’s kind of a catch 22 the way it is being handled currently. Get them in the games now so if you need/want to use them later they will hopefully be less effected by the game circumstances on the bigger college stage when they’re actually needed to be productive. Game experience is definitely different than practice, both are helpful but there’s definitely a difference. I guess the question is do you give them limited to no game minutes and expect inter squad practice get them ready hopefully or play them more in games now, when you have the luxury of doing so, so that they have both practice and increased game experience early on to build on as the season progresses?

Based on buzz on Twitter - sounding like we might lock up both Jacobsen and Harris. Brings up an interesting question - where is that other scholarship coming from?

This place is gonna be fun as we speculate.
Jacobsen…walk on to redshirt to scholarship in 2025? Maybe thinks he can develop better at Purdue and a redshirt year is better than a mother year in high school? Haha all speculation and not even sure if that’d make sense.

Rest assured, it does not.
Haha chill my guy. Trying to figure out how we’d have an extra scholarship and since we probably won’t, unless someone transfers, I was trying to get creative. I much rather would have Harris on scholarship.

Haha chill my guy. Trying to figure out how we’d have an extra scholarship and since we probably won’t, unless someone transfers, I was trying to get creative. I much rather would have Harris on scholarship.
Rest assured, I am most chill.

Did Brian post somewhere we were getting both? Or at least DJ?
Brian doesn’t post predictions and stuff like that in public - that’s behind the paywall stuff. I think there was a tweet where someone said we were getting both but I can’t find it. Assuming someone told them to delete.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Brian doesn’t post predictions and stuff like that in public - that’s behind the paywall stuff. I think there was a tweet where someone said we were getting both but I can’t find it. Assuming someone told them to delete.
He generally doesn't make predictions anyway unless he really knows. He's always said that it would be surprising not to get Harris given the amount of effort MP and staff have put into him and how much sense Purdue makes for the kid. Not sure he predicted anything on Jacobsen but as you said tweets seem to indicate he thinks Purdue has a chance despite others calling it for Wisky.

All the noise on this was yesterday, so I’m guessing well after, but I guess we’ll find out today when Jacobsen announces.
Just read an article on Gold and Black that said we have the flexibility to over sign, scholarship wise. It didn’t explain how…but if that’s the case and we sign Jacobsen and can still sign Harris, then I’m all for that. Just didn’t like the possibility of Jacobsen taking the last spot and that resulting in not getting Harris.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Yeah, if it happens that both commit, then none of it will make sense until the end of the season when we find out which current players will be returning.

A scholarship player who redshirts is still on scholarship. But I'm still waiting to hear a case where a player pays his own way with NIL $$, freeing up a scholarship for another recruit.

So if both commit, not only does it put us over on scholarships, but does it leave any room to sign anyone in the 2025 class; theres some really good recruits offered in that class. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just read an article on Gold and Black that said we have the flexibility to over sign, scholarship wise. It didn’t explain how…but if that’s the case and we sign Jacobsen and can still sign Harris, then I’m all for that. Just didn’t like the possibility of Jacobsen taking the last spot and that resulting in not getting Harris.
I haven't seen the article and am not understanding the oversign situation either. Completely agree that I wouldn't want to take a big (any big) if it meant we didn't have room for Harris.

Yeah, if it happens that both commit, then none of it will make sense until the end of the season when we find out which current players will be returning.

A scholarship player who redshirts is still on scholarship. But I'm still waiting to hear a case where a player pays his own way with NIL $$, freeing up a scholarship for another recruit.

I don't think even as stubborn as Matt Painter is that he would put Gicarri Harris in a position where he could lose his offer from any other commitment (not necessarily limiting it to just Jacobsen either) - not after all the effort Purdue has put in on him.

Sadly Andy, I think that day is coming, even though that goes against the very spirit of the concept that NIL is not for (and is supposedly against NCAA rules) recruiting inducements. Of course does it really matter anyway after another wrist-slap for Self and Kansas - "Hey......you messed up, and we're really pissed, so don't do it again. Hold out your hand...... Now, where's that number for the Cleveland State president!"

Yes.....it's Grumpy Old Man Day!
Again!

im-a-grumpy-old-man-grumpy.gif

snow-angel.gif

Jacobsen…walk on to redshirt to scholarship in 2025? Maybe thinks he can develop better at Purdue and a redshirt year is better than a mother year in high school? Haha all speculation and not even sure if that’d make sense.
watched some video and not impressed. Lacks athleticism. Wouldn't be able to cover the high PnR or a big who plays away from the basket.
Would like to see Painter get away from his fascination with big slow 7 foot white guys.

watched some video and not impressed. Lacks athleticism. Wouldn't be able to cover the high PnR or a big who plays away from the basket.
Would like to see Painter get away from his fascination with big slow 7 foot white guys.
Agreed. Unless he is able to do things that havent been on film, I just don’t see how he can elevate us to the next level. But painter and staff get paid a lot more than me to do what they do so maybe there’s something else there?

I think Jacobsen is 100% thinking development. Reclassifying gives him a year jump on working on his body and skills. What better place than BIG MAN U!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT