ADVERTISEMENT

2024 recruiting dilemma?

Heads up BOILER

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2021
Daniel Jacobsen vs Gicarri Harris? Jacobsen reclassified to the 2024 class and is high on Purdue evidently with us in his top 3 currently. Harris has become a mystery as he’s not given much clue as to where he stands after narrowing his choices to top 6. Best guess currently is his top 3 are Purdue, Georgia Tech, and LSU. Rumors were that it would be Purdue but the lack of commitment so far makes you wonder where his decision process stands. I for one feel a bit uneasy and am not sure it’s the heavy lean we all expected.

How does Purdue proceed? I think both would be great pickups! Not sure you can have both with limited scholarships. If Jacobsen wants to commit do you pass hoping Harris commits? You could miss both in that situation.

Reactions: South Bend Boiler
Daniel Jacobsen vs Gicarri Harris? Jacobsen reclassified to the 2024 class and is high on Purdue evidently with us in his top 3 currently. Harris has become a mystery as he’s not given much clue as to where he stands after narrowing his choices to top 6. Best guess currently is his top 3 are Purdue, Georgia Tech, and LSU. Rumors were that it would be Purdue but the lack of commitment so far makes you wonder where his decision process stands. I for one feel a bit uneasy and am not sure it’s the heavy lean we all expected.

How does Purdue proceed? I think both would be great pickups! Not sure you can have both with limited scholarships. If Jacobsen wants to commit do you pass hoping Harris commits? You could miss both in that situation.
Can’t you take both and expect someone to leave in the off-season? Let’s be honest, a player or two likely leaves, nature of the beast these days.

IIRC, in the pre-portal, limited transfer days, Painter would not over-sign under any circumstances. He's on record with saying he would have to rethink that under the new rules. My guess is he is still hesitant, and I wouldn't be surprised either way - he is definitely stubborn (and folks - that's an understatement, IMO :) ), and I heard somewhere that habits are hard to break.

I say go for it - but that's me......Mr. Vegas. Haha.

efd909f0-4356-4ac0-80c8-1f0b54598351_text.gif

Dilemma for sure. Take both and make someone walk the plank. We need to stop making our team seem like Utopia were everyone is loved and adored. Only so many spaces for people to contribute and those who help the most stay.

Hopefully that doesn’t confirm my fears that the potential lean for a Harris commitment has shifted toward a different school. No feedback coming from him or his camp is making me nervous. This pursuit plus the Cox signing… can’t help but wonder
Just more reason to not get too caught up in the recruitment of hs players. If Matt's shown 1 thing it's the ability to get quality players nobodies heard of.
We already have 2 legacys, maybe there's a cap. ;)

Dilemma for sure. Take both and make someone walk the plank. We need to stop making our team seem like Utopia were everyone is loved and adored. Only so many spaces for people to contribute and those who help the most stay.
No doubt. With your post below…if he commits…it’d be Furst, TKR, Berg, Burgess, Catchings (unless he slides to the 3?) and Jacobsen in the front court. So, I’m assuming Burgess and/or Jacobsen would RS?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No doubt. With your post below…if he commits…it’d be Furst, TKR, Berg, Burgess, Catchings (unless he slides to the 3?) and Jacobsen in the front court. So, I’m assuming Burgess and/or Jacobsen would RS?
Catching a is more a 3 than a 4 especially with his frame and overall quickness. The pursuit of Jacobsen makes me realize why Painter backed off on Trent Burns. I wonder how old Jacobsen is and why he moved from 25 to 24 class? Could he do another year of prep school or is this Painter hedging his bet that Berg might not work? Or that Jacobsen/Burgess gets a shirt year to develop while we have our front court of Furst/TKR with Berg as the backup?

Again, sign both and let things work out.

As for Harris - seems like no one knows and his family is keeping the cards close to the vest.

If Painter sees the potential for Jacobsen to develop into a top center, I’m ok with Painter calling Harris and letting him know that there is one spot left and he is about to extend an offer to Jacobsen as well. If Harris has his heart set on Purdue, he has a chance to commit. Otherwise it is first come first serve. Painter can explain to Harris that this is not a pressure move: Harris is priority, but that he can’t afford to wait and end up with neither.

I like Painter’s policy of not over signing and I think that he should stick to it.

Catching a is more a 3 than a 4 especially with his frame and overall quickness. The pursuit of Jacobsen makes me realize why Painter backed off on Trent Burns. I wonder how old Jacobsen is and why he moved from 25 to 24 class? Could he do another year of prep school or is this Painter hedging his bet that Berg might not work? Or that Jacobsen/Burgess gets a shirt year to develop while we have our front court of Furst/TKR with Berg as the backup?

Again, sign both and let things work out.

As for Harris - seems like no one knows and his family is keeping the cards close to the vest.
Either someone has to sign without a scholarship or someone has to leave or give one up because signing both gives you 14 for next year . It also leaves no room to sign anyone in 2025. Unless paint has decided to encourage players to move along after a couple years to make room for new recruits which doesn’t seem likely.

Either someone has to sign without a scholarship or someone has to leave or give one up because signing both gives you 14 for next year . It also leaves no room to sign anyone in 2025. Unless paint has decided to encourage players to move along after a couple years to make room for new recruits which doesn’t seem likely.
What if Edey, Morton or Gillis want to come back for their Covid year? That still counts as a scholarship spot right?

Understand Painter's policy of not over-signing and it has worked under the old framework. However, I think with the new transfer portal rules and a few players (Colvin and Katchings) expected not to be there 4 years...Painter would have no problem taking both, even if over-signing is required.

Yes, but with what we have graduating this year, there's openings at every position for next year.
Jones, Edey, Morton and Gillis (pending none of those 3 come back for Covid year). You lose 4 and we have 4 signed.

I would assume it’d be a combo of TKR, Furst, Berg and Burgess (unless he RS) at the 4 and 5. Then Heide mixes in some 3 and 4, with Catchings (I would assume) and Waddell playing the 3. Colvin and Loyer at the 2 (Benter mixed in or he may RS?). Smith at the 1 with Cox (potential RS)/hopefully Harris or another guard to help Braden out.

Did I forget anyone??

What if Edey, Morton or Gillis want to come back for their Covid year? That still counts as a scholarship spot right?
I’d be surprised if Edey chose to come back and I don’t think Painter would offer the other two the opportunity to stick around for a covid year. This is backed up by how he’s recruiting for next year. I’m sure he’s already had that conversation with the players. I could see Morton or even Gillis as a graduate assistant possibly. But yes if they stayed they count toward total scholarships.

I’d be surprised if Edey chose to come back and I don’t think Painter would offer the other two the opportunity to stick around for a covid year. This is backed up by how he’s recruiting for next year. I’m sure he’s already had that conversation with the players. I could see Morton or even Gillis as a graduate assistant possibly. But yes if they stayed they count toward total scholarships.
I agree, I don’t think edey will be coming back. Was just stating a “possible” (low chance) situation. I guess Morton and Gillis could be a GA like you said or just transfer somewhere else.

There are 5 scholarships available next year since we are using 12 of 13 this year and 4 scholarship players graduating. So there’s room for one more to commit without exceeding available scholarships. If you take both Harris and Jacobsen, you are over one.
🖤💛🏀

There are 5 scholarships available next year since we are using 12 of 13 this year and 4 scholarship players graduating. So there’s room for one more to commit without exceeding available scholarships. If you take both Harris and Jacobsen, you are over one.
🖤💛🏀
Yes, my math was mathing in my head…not sure if I made sense in the post haha. But I’m on same page with what you said.

Also would put 6 in that '24 class. Maybe 2 possible redshirts, but I don't find that as practical because I don't think that it is typical anymore that a player stays in a program for 5 years.

If Painter sees the potential for Jacobsen to develop into a top center, I’m ok with Painter calling Harris and letting him know that there is one spot left and he is about to extend an offer to Jacobsen as well. If Harris has his heart set on Purdue, he has a chance to commit. Otherwise it is first come first serve. Painter can explain to Harris that this is not a pressure move: Harris is priority, but that he can’t afford to wait and end up with neither.

I like Painter’s policy of not over signing and I think that he should stick to it.
We offered Jacobsen months ago either June or May. I am pretty sure we are out on Harris. I know Jacobsen is extremely high on Braden Smith. Also seen a quote from his dad referred to Purdue as big man U

Reactions: pboiler18
We offered Jacobsen in July after a good performance during Peach Jam AAU tournament. He was originally in 2025 class but just recently reclassified, making coaches do a little more urgent evaluation on him sooner than they had planned. I agree with whoever stated in their post that this might have played into backing off of Burns. @oldboiler52 just gut feeling on Harris or have you heard info on this? I have a similar gut feeling. I don’t expect Painter to over sign for the class. We shall see.

Harris's ship sailed not long after Perry's is my guess.

Not to worry; Jones & Morton can this year add ballast to still-young Smith, Loyer, Cox, maybe Colvin at guard or stretch forward as they keep learning & developing. Same for Heide, a beefed-up & ever more savvy 6'7 winner like Waddell. Morton & Gillis, among others, might make excellent future grad assistants.

Who knows what promising guards may want to & learn playing winning team ball next? Chance to win added kudos & acknowledgement helping PU win long-overdue Big Dance success. How's Grady Eifert doing with his non-NBA career these days?

For sure Paint will recruit 5* and high-4* stars whose heads are screwed on this way.

Last edited:
We offered Jacobsen months ago either June or May. I am pretty sure we are out on Harris. I know Jacobsen is extremely high on Braden Smith. Also seen a quote from his dad referred to Purdue as big man U
shame if true about Harris, I would have never thought we'd lose out on Perry and esp Harris

Reactions: Schnelk
shame if true about Harris, I would have never thought we'd lose out on Perry and esp Harris
Just saw an assessment on busting brackets that broke down Harris top 6 teams. It mentions that Purdue might be hard to break through early for playing time because our backcourt is composed of entrenched younger guys in Smith and Loyer that will likely be around a couple more years plus Colvin, Benter, and Catchings are coming in next year as competition. Some of the competition including Georgia Tech and LSU have older backcourt players. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Here’s the information from busting brackets:

Purdue Boilermakers​

The sophomore duo of Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith will likely be around for three more years, which will create an instead backcourt logjam. Plus, Purdue not only has freshman Myles Colvin joining but already has a pair of commits in Jack Benter and Kanon Catchings in the 2024 class. It’ll be tough for Harris to get playing time unless he’s a breakout star.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Here’s the information from busting brackets:

Purdue Boilermakers​

The sophomore duo of Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith will likely be around for three more years, which will create an instead backcourt logjam. Plus, Purdue not only has freshman Myles Colvin joining but already has a pair of commits in Jack Benter and Kanon Catchings in the 2024 class. It’ll be tough for Harris to get playing time unless he’s a breakout star.
Yeah that’s been out there for a bit. Catchings won’t play the 2 and harris would not play a ton at the 2 next year due to Loyer and Colvin in front of him. I would think he could help backup Smith tho….and I would think Benter and Cox would RS? 2nd year for Harris would mean more PT due to (hopefully) Colvin gone after next year due to being a 1st rounder and also helping smith at the 1. He would have more national exposure and more opportunities to play for conference championships and get to the tourney more than the other schools he’s considering. However, maybe the bigger question is, does he want to follow in his dad’s footsteps? Pretty tall task.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Cox happened IMO. Georgia Tech has a couple of his former HS and AAU teammates. They seem pretty confident in him staying home. You can't sign every player you want.
I’m guessing Cox didn’t happen until the likelihood of a commitment was already fading, but of course that’s just speculation because we don’t know. I just think that you don’t pull the string on an alternative piece until the primary pieces you were pursuing become less likely to happen.

Yeah that’s been out there for a bit. Catchings won’t play the 2 and harris would not play a ton at the 2 next year due to Loyer and Colvin in front of him. I would think he could help backup Smith tho….and I would think Benter and Cox would RS? 2nd year for Harris would mean more PT due to (hopefully) Colvin gone after next year due to being a 1st rounder and also helping smith at the 1. He would have more national exposure and more opportunities to play for conference championships and get to the tourney more than the other schools he’s considering. However, maybe the bigger question is, does he want to follow in his dad’s footsteps? Pretty tall task.
That blurb was as dumb as it gets. As you said, Catchings is completely irrelevant to Harris' playing time and Benter and Colvin are only marginally relevant. Harris isn't going to be scared off by Cox.

Valid that Loyer and Smith aren't going anywhere but dumb to say that they'll be around for 'three more years' when Harris will only be here for their last two. There is a real point in that while he can play big minutes at Purdue right away, it won't be as a starter whereas at LSU and GaTech he can at least compete for a starting position right away. I don't think Harris sees himself as a one or two year play so I'd expect that he'll choose the schools that plays at a really high level where he can learn from and play against really good veterans versus choosing the path of least resistance, but you never know.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I’m guessing Cox didn’t happen until the likelihood of a commitment was already fading, but of course that’s just speculation because we don’t know. I just think that you don’t pull the string on an alternative piece until the primary pieces you were pursuing become less likely to happen.
I don't think that's true at all for Harris. True for Perry though.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Hopefully that doesn’t confirm my fears that the potential lean for a Harris commitment has shifted toward a different school. No feedback coming from him or his camp is making me nervous. This pursuit plus the Cox signing… can’t help but wonder
Purdue has recruited Jacobsen as a 2025. He just recently reclassified to 2024 or has indicated that he may do so. They certainly didn't start recruiting him to hedge for Harris' spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT