ADVERTISEMENT

2024 recruiting dilemma?

That blurb was as dumb as it gets. As you said, Catchings is completely irrelevant to Harris' playing time and Benter and Colvin are only marginally relevant. Harris isn't going to be scared off by Cox.

Valid that Loyer and Smith aren't going anywhere but dumb to say that they'll be around for 'three more years' when Harris will only be here for their last two. There is a real point in that while he can play big minutes at Purdue right away, it won't be as a starter whereas at LSU and GaTech he can at least compete for a starting position right away. I don't think Harris sees himself as a one or two year play so I'd expect that he'll choose the schools that plays at a really high level where he can learn from and play against really good veterans versus choosing the path of least resistance, but you never know.
Yeah for sure. Pretty sure it was a LSU writer too. Like you said, Harris could play right away (which I understand) at schools that aren’t going to compete for much…maybe a 7-10 seed bid once in awhile. If he came here he could play against better competition. At the end of the day, I hope he still commits and think he’d be a great piece to round out the 24 class, but if not, I understand and wish him well.

Purdue has recruited Jacobsen as a 2025. He just recently reclassified to 2024 or has indicated that he may do so. They certainly didn't start recruiting him to hedge for Harris' spot.
I have pointed the reclassification out a couple of times and never stated nor thought that the Jacobsen recruitment was a hedge. The point of the entire thread was since he reclassified it created a lack of enough scholarships for both to commit. So the dilemma created was if Jacobsen were to say he wanted to commit prior to a decision by Harris do you take him and not have a scholarship available if Harris were to want to commit? Or do you sign him and either over sign available scholarship numbers by signing both or inform Harris there’s no longer any available scholarships?

Reactions: northside100
Because the 5-stars who go to Duke are replacing other 5-stars who are one-and-done. Not the case at Purdue.
Maybe 4-7 years ago but now? Filipowski was a projected lottery pick and he is back. NIL and transfer portal have changed the dynamic.

Kentucky pulls in top 50 talent yearly and have struggled to get into the tourney the past few years.

I don’t know, maybe the world is passing me by.

The amount of scholarships doesn't matter when we have NIL. Kids could just pay for their tuition.
I was just going to ask that - why does it matter now how many players are on a scholly when you can legally pay anyone on the roster? If anyone needs to go to make room, it could theoretically be a walk-on. (“You” here refers to the entire AD/alumni/booster complex as a single entity)

I was just going to ask that - why does it matter now how many players are on a scholly when you can legally pay anyone on the roster? If anyone needs to go to make room, it could theoretically be a walk-on. (“You” here refers to the entire AD/alumni/booster complex as a single entity)

Good point. Hadn't considered that.

I wonder if Purdue is in that position though?? I know Miami, Ark, Duke and others are, but still have not heard of it done that way yet??? Interesting.

Now, people get it.

Here’s the information from busting brackets:

Purdue Boilermakers​

The sophomore duo of Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith will likely be around for three more years, which will create an instead backcourt logjam. Plus, Purdue not only has freshman Myles Colvin joining but already has a pair of commits in Jack Benter and Kanon Catchings in the 2024 class. It’ll be tough for Harris to get playing time unless he’s a breakout star.
Catchings isn't a guard that I've seen. Is Benter? The little I've seen of Benter looked like he played inside some of the time, or posts up anyway.

None will be back…Edey will be off to the professional ranks some where, the other two might elect to transfer somewhere else their final year, I wouldn’t blame them.
Yeah I know. Gillis and Morton wouldn’t see the floor next year and edey would be welcomed back but I’m sure other front court players would not like that. But yeah they aren’t coming back.

I believe we are out of the Travis Perry sweepstakes, but I wonder what he is thinking with Boogie Fland's commitment to Kentucky today. It may not affect his decision, but curious.
Same but because Perry is likely a guy who stays 4 years, 1 year behind him isn't that big of a deal.

I have seen a few people on Twitter who say that Harris is leaning to GT and his mom is the biggest voice on that.

Checks all the boxes.

The giraffe's long neck can reach more than 7 feet in length, which means it makes up nearly half its overall height.
You seem pretty upset over missing out on Boogie. You want to talk about it at all?? If it’s any consolation, IU will still disappoint you by wasting Liam’s talent.

Reactions: Poprudy
Checks all the boxes.

The giraffe's long neck can reach more than 7 feet in length, which means it makes up nearly half it's overall height.
Who was the IU player that Bob Knight said wasn't as effective as a typically 7-footer because he had a longer neck than most? I can see him, but can't remember the name.

IIRC, in the pre-portal, limited transfer days, Painter would not over-sign under any circumstances. He's on record with saying he would have to rethink that under the new rules. My guess is he is still hesitant, and I wouldn't be surprised either way - he is definitely stubborn (and folks - that's an understatement, IMO :) ), and I heard somewhere that habits are hard to break.

I say go for it - but that's me......Mr. Vegas. Haha.

efd909f0-4356-4ac0-80c8-1f0b54598351_text.gif
That Dewey Ogsbueger— some kinda actor!!
A lean, mean, fighting’ machine.

So back to this dilemma, any word/info on when Harris may announce?
I’ve heard nothing really in weeks. I look for news every day… somewhere I saw that it’s Purdue vs Georgia Tech now and his mom is wanting him to go to Tech. They did sign a higher ranked guard than him so maybe that’s in our favor 🤷🏼‍♂️🖤💛🏀

I’ve heard nothing really in weeks. I look for news every day… somewhere I saw that it’s Purdue vs Georgia Tech now and his mom is wanting him to go to Tech. They did sign a higher ranked guard than him so maybe that’s in our favor 🤷🏼‍♂️🖤💛🏀
Yeah, I’ve seen everything you have mentioned as well. I thought I had also read he was planning to announce before his season started, which would be soon. So 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Yeah, I’ve seen everything you have mentioned as well. I thought I had also read he was planning to announce before his season started, which would be soon. So 🤷‍♂️
I think anything is possible at this point. I could even see him waiting a little into the season to get a look at how Stoudamire is running the team. He has also said he wants to go somewhere where he can win and win big. If that is actually a real indicator then Purdue has a big leg up on his other teams.

I’ve read similar that his mom wants GT.

Looking at GT and LSU, they might be in the same situation with available playing time but being competitive being the question mark.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
My gut says that this decision is a whole lot more difficult than Harris anticipated. My guess is that it is between GT and Purdue and could go either way, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if I’m wrong and it ends up being LSU. Hoping he chooses Purdue, but I’ve watched enough of these recruiting battles to not count on anything until the commitment is secured.

His first high school game is Nov 11th. Purdue has games the 10th and 13th. I hope they send the entire staff down for that game.

I looked out of curiosity and neither LSU or GT have games that day. If he hasn't made his decision by then you know these other schools will be sending someone.

A Wisconsin insider just put his crystal ball pick in for Jacobsen to Wisconsin.

Who know what this really means, but I am hopeful that the Purdue staff has told him they want him, but are waiting on Harris. This is all speculation on my part though.

He’s originally from Wisconsin and was a fan growing up. He’s had them and Purdue as his current top 2 based on what I’ve read, but is still receiving offers. His dad did comment that Purdue is big man U. He’s does have the ability to stretch the floor and Wisconsin has told him that he would be utilized that way evidently… hopefully we’ve done so as well?

A Wisconsin insider just put his crystal ball pick in for Jacobsen to Wisconsin.

Who know what this really means, but I am hopeful that the Purdue staff has told him they want him, but are waiting on Harris. This is all speculation on my part though.
It is a confidence level of 6 which means he is just putting something out there. Not sure I would read too much into that.

Isn’t this a great problem to have with all of this talent?

Would be great if the same was true for our football team, but don’t see that happening for quite a while.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Isn’t this a great problem to have with all of this talent?

Would be great if the same was true for our football team, but don’t see that happening for quite a while.
24 class for football is solid but curious how they carry moment for 25 and beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT