ADVERTISEMENT

2024 recruiting dilemma?

Honesty has never been a word people would associate with you.

What? You don't think he donated $1m and just let the BA do whatever they wanted with it? I know if I donated what is probably 10-20% of total receipts for the year of a charity I would just turn a blind eye to how it's utilized. Wouldn't want those funds assigned to a certain purpose or anything.

watched some video and not impressed. Lacks athleticism. Wouldn't be able to cover the high PnR or a big who plays away from the basket.
Would like to see Painter get away from his fascination with big slow 7 foot white guys.
Were you among the 95% of posters who didn't like Zach for the same reasons? Asking for a friend ;)

Were you among the 95% of posters who didn't like Zach for the same reasons? Asking for a friend ;)
Did Zach’s spot potentially cause us to not get a guard? That’s the only reason I’m not in favor of Jacobsen. If we can somehow get him and Harris that’d be fine by me! Or maybe I’m too optimistic and Harris wants to stay closer to home and doesn’t choose us…(I hope he chooses us)

I think Jacobsen is 100% thinking development. Reclassifying gives him a year jump on working on his body and skills. What better place than BIG MAN U!
We don't have much of a track record with putting our big men in the NBA. I'm not sure Edey is NBA level. He can definitely make a ton of $ overseas, but not sure his game is suited to the NBA.

I didn't opine about Zach. I nailed it with C Edwards and Ivey though. Watching their film, they were a different level athlete.
But, since you asked, I am a believer in recruiting rankings and stars.

What? You don't think he donated $1m and just let the BA do whatever they wanted with it? I know if I donated what is probably 10-20% of total receipts for the year of a charity I would just turn a blind eye to how it's utilized. Wouldn't want those funds assigned to a certain purpose or anything.
I'm like Biden giving money to Ukraine and Iran.

We don't have much of a track record with putting our big men in the NBA. I'm not sure Edey is NBA level. He can definitely make a ton of $ overseas, but not sure his game is suited to the NBA.
Developing big men can't be debated. He has developed many big men in COLLEGE where he coaches these young men. He has developed many of them well over their ranking and this really isn't a question....is it? The NBA is flocked with 5*'s and Purdue isn't landing many of them. It just doesn't seem to happen, but we continue to win. You've got to give the guy some credit.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Did Zach’s spot potentially cause us to not get a guard? That’s the only reason I’m not in favor of Jacobsen. If we can somehow get him and Harris that’d be fine by me! Or maybe I’m too optimistic and Harris wants to stay closer to home and doesn’t choose us…(I hope he chooses us)
I'm 100% certain that this is not an either or with Harris and Jacobsen. Just don't ask me how they're going to make it work.

Who would you say, that’s had similar success as Purdue and recruits big men like Purdue, has a track record of putting bigs in the NBA?

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Who would you say, that’s had similar success as Purdue and recruits big men like Purdue, has a track record of putting bigs in the NBA?
What does developing a big man mean exactly? Making them better than when they arrived? Getting them to the NBA?
Having a FF team lead by an offense centered around the low post?
I think people get excited about landing a 7 footer but it hasn’t translated into tourney success.

What does developing a big man mean exactly? Making them better than when they arrived? Getting them to the NBA?
I think people get excited about landing a 7 footer but it hasn’t translated into tourney success.
Regardless of tourney success….developing a 7 footer who was 436th to the NPOTY is pretty damn impressive. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone drafts him this year to take a chance on him and see if they can pair him on Wemby to just slow Wemby down for 2-5 min a game haha.

Also, Purdue developed Biggie into an NBA ready player…made Haas way better than he was. Trevion got a hell of a lot better too and got invited to summer league and playing on a GLeague team (wouldn’t have thought he would have had those chances when he first got to Purdue) Haarms…got better, not sure if it was THAT much better. He got Hammons drafted as well—he had a ton of potential but didn’t seem ball was his passion (which is ok). For JaJuan drafted…he was good when he got to Purdue but he got better and was drafted first round.

I’d say that’s a pretty good track record.

Regardless of tourney success….developing a 7 footer who was 436th to the NPOTY is pretty damn impressive. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone drafts him this year to take a chance on him and see if they can pair him on Wemby to just slow Wemby down for 2-5 min a game haha.

Also, Purdue developed Biggie into an NBA ready player…made Haas way better than he was. Trevion got a hell of a lot better too. Haarms…got better, not sure if it was THAT much better. He got Hammons drafted as well.

I’d say that’s a pretty good track record.
I want more E'Twaun Moore, Robbie Hummel, and JaJuan Johnson and

Carsen Edwards type players so we can get back to the FF and win it all.

Kelsey Barlow's with their heads on straight would be welcomed, too.

I still want Harris!!!! Team depth athleticism still needs upgrading.

A person like Cuonzo Martin would help get this done for Painter.

I told you, I gave $1M, not sure what they did with it.
Well, then that’s your fault for not aggressively closing the deal yourself with one of these athletic, penetrating, scoring, dishing, portal guards, John Ruiz style.

I want more E'Twaun Moore, Robbie Hummel, and JaJuan Johnson and

Carsen Edwards type players so we can get back to the FF and win it all.

Kelsey Barlow's with their heads on straight would be welcomed, too.

I still want Harris!!!! Team depth athleticism still needs upgrading.

A person like Cuonzo Martin would help get this done for Painter.
I agree we need those players too. Bonefish was talking more about bigs tho.

Not sure how cuonzo would help, but I’d be for it. I do Wonder if cuonzo would want to have a role like that tho

Neither did having a top 5 NBA draft pick at the 2 spot

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Neither did having a top 5 NBA draft pick at the 2 spot
I’ll take 10 Ivey type players (even if they’re not a lottery pick) over 10 Edey, Haas or Hammons.
It’s a guards game in March. Painter struggles to recruit guards. It’s that simple.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Making 4 out of the last 6 sweet sixteens is tourney success.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Purdue is getting Kanon catchings the recruiting for Purdue is getting better and painter understand that he needs guards

HaHa. if you believe that he donated money for NIL, he's got you where he wants you. If you get a sales call from him, the wise move is to hang up. In the past, he has described on this board some of his unethical sales tactics.

Reactions: mathboy
Looks like our hypothesis was right about Perry.

Yep, saw that last night. I heard if UK wants him, he will commit…but they aren’t all in on him. I always did have a bit of trouble seeing where he fit into the team for next year and beyond with who we have currently and coming in. It’ll be interesting to see how he does, wherever he goes.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT