ADVERTISEMENT

2 games played and so far nobody that I can recall has mentioned the offensive approach being different

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Several years the 5 man at Purdue was THE focal point...even to the point of pick your poison with Haas and the stationary perimeter shooters. Zach is still the hub that all the spokes connect, but not near as dominant inside the "offense looks" as he was. This may be why Zach could be better, but his stats may go down...and yes I know his stats other than playing only a few minutes are great. However, we see at this time a lot more players look to score without first waiting on Zach and almost total focus on him. Make no mistake he will be a focal point a lot in some tough games, but it appears as of now other players are more active...and I realize Zach was limited in minutes against Arkansas and Grace was not much of a threat, but it just seems that other players are more engaged in trying to score. Balance will be key.

I've seen more drives into the lane by all the 4's than last year and so all of a sudden there has been some interest in doing such. I noticed the increase in aggressiveness by others to score even when Zach was in the game at Arkansas. That continues it should be more lethal towards the end of the year.

Several years the 5 man at Purdue was THE focal point...even to the point of pick your poison with Haas and the stationary perimeter shooters. Zach is still the hub that all the spokes connect, but not near as dominant inside the "offense looks" as he was. This may be why Zach could be better, but his stats may go down...and yes I know his stats other than playing only a few minutes are great. However, we see at this time a lot more players look to score without first waiting on Zach and almost total focus on him. Make no mistake he will be a focal point a lot in some tough games, but it appears as of now other players are more active...and I realize Zach was limited in minutes against Arkansas and Grace was not much of a threat, but it just seems that other players are more engaged in trying to score. Balance will be key.

I've seen more drives into the lane by all the 4's than last year and so all of a sudden there has been some interest in doing such. I noticed the increase in aggressiveness by others to score even when Zach was in the game at Arkansas. That continues it should be more lethal towards the end of the year.
Braden has definitely looked more aggressive already and looking for his shot when teams go under the PnR with edey (something coaches emphasized all offseason). Fletcher is taking it to the hole a bit more and I hope he continues to be aggressive and knock down shots. He will
Have games where he is cold (like any shooter/scorer), but hopefully others will pick up the slack. Lance also looks quick and strong taking it to the whole—when he’s not
bombing 3s 😂. However, hoping his game will help with offense too.

Braden has definitely looked more aggressive already and looking for his shot when teams go under the PnR with edey (something coaches emphasized all offseason). Fletcher is taking it to the hole a bit more and I hope he continues to be aggressive and knock down shots. He will
Have games where he is cold (like any shooter/scorer), but hopefully others will pick up the slack. Lance also looks quick and strong taking it to the whole—when he’s not
bombing 3s 😂. However, hoping his game will help with offense too.
Braden was back more to his role at Westfield

Early season PK tourney and win against Marquette, we saw that aggressive Braden. That is what you need to be successful late in season. Great to see it from the other positions as well. Got to make teams pay for focusing just on Zach.
Other teams focusing on Zach was no doubt a huge problem. However, I believe the mindset being a bit less focused on Zach helps with aggressiveness offensively in others. Just have to remember how special Zach is and use him...just maybe not as dominant in getting him touches as last year. Hopefully, Braden shoots better having a shot in mind if such and such happens instead of the mind totally focused on running the team and Zach and only thinking of scoring as a last resort and possibly not mentally primed. His role last year where he had to withstand pressure without attacking it to back it off as he waited for Zach and/or others made it tougher on him.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Other teams focusing on Zach was no doubt a huge problem. However, I believe the mindset being a bit less focused on Zach helps with aggressiveness offensively in others. Just have to remember how special Zach is and use him...just maybe not as dominant in getting him touches as last year. Hopefully, Braden shoots better having a shot in mind if such and such happens instead of the mind totally focused on running the team and Zach and only thinking of scoring as a last resort and possibly not mentally primed. His role last year where he had to withstand pressure without attacking it to back it off as he waited for Zach and/or others made it tougher on him.
That’s a good point and that was a lot for a freshman to handle especially coming off an injury and not having as much time to prepare for the season. I do think having multiple guards and guys attacking changes how teams approach us.

I agree TJ. And the "Painter never makes adjustments " crowd seems not to be noticing these changes. I think we saw some good things, especially offensively, from second unit guys last night. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that impressed me last night was the play of Caleb Furst. I thought he was aggressive and very much a leader of the 2nd unit. Very active on offense, defense, and rebounding.

I agree TJ. And the "Painter never makes adjustments " crowd seems not to be noticing these changes. I think we saw some good things, especially offensively, from second unit guys last night. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that impressed me last night was the play of Caleb Furst. I thought he was aggressive and very much a leader of the 2nd unit. Very active on offense, defense, and rebounding.
Caleb was more active and part of that was who the other team was...but another part may be that Caleb is not as comfortable with his slide from the fresh to soph to very early now. He adds a lot physically and so I hope his skill comes along...

Painter has never had a point guard like Braden Smith and I think that this Purdue team is going to look different than any of Painter’s prior teams, as a result.
Well, I recall being sold on him the first time I saw him. Caught a bit of flak on my comments...AND understandably so. Very few have his vision and passing and those that do may not have it as a priority...and he plays so hard. Lew Jack never had the range of shooting, but he was very good. Still Braden is special as stated by PJ Thompson. He will continue to make mistakes, but will also grow his game as a result

Reactions: Schnelk
Grace College. Painter as one writer said let them loose, to see what they can do. But it was Grace College. We will see.

Grace College. Painter as one writer said let them loose, to see what they can do. But it was Grace College. We will see.
I think he will loosen the reins overall this year, but he isn't going to let go against good teams. There isn't as much room for error when good teams play and Purdue still needs to win. However, I doubt he wants bad shots and turnovers...just more aggression. As you said...we will see.

Good idea to turn em loose shooting wise. Let them build confidence instead of hesitation. Colvin evidently doesn't need coaxing lol!
There is something to be said for fearlessness. It can be frustrating when it disrupts the offense, but it sure worked out well in the 2019 tournament with Carsen Edwards and Ryan Cline.

There is something to be said for fearlessness. It can be frustrating when it disrupts the offense, but it sure worked out well in the 2019 tournament with Carsen Edwards and Ryan Cline.
I think a "shooter" that may also be a scorer knows when he is feeling that magic level...

Thanks for the added analysis TJ as I was unable to watch. I have said since Zach announced he's returning that less-gaudy stats from Zach will equal a better team as a whole. Especially important in March and hopefully April.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT