ADVERTISEMENT

Zo doing his thing already...

All you have to do is hire his dad and any program can have him for a year. Zo didn't do anything special here. In fact you could argue he lowered himself.

Reactions: Roeder
I don't see anything wrong with it. Completely legal.
Never said it wasn't legal.

Doesn't have to be illegal to be slimy. It's that kind of thing that makes college basketball look bad. His Dad couldn't get a job on a D1 mens staff but all of a sudden not one but two programs are willing to hire him. Oh yeah, his kid happens to be a stud.

How long after the 2 sons leave the team do you think the old man will be let go? My guess is real quick.

Doesn't have to be illegal to be slimy. It's that kind of thing that makes college basketball look bad. His Dad couldn't get a job on a D1 mens staff but all of a sudden not one but two programs are willing to hire him. Oh yeah, his kid happens to be a stud.

How long after the 2 sons leave the team do you think the old man will be let go? My guess is real quick.
I don't agree that it's slimy. It's big business. If we had an opening, I'd be all for it.

And he's got at least 2 more younger boys who are prospects also.

Porter Sr was a former assistant coach with Missouri (women's team). I wouldn't be surprised if he reached out to Zo after the hiring rather than the other way around.
There was talk of this immediately after Romar was fired. Doesn't really matter who reached out to who. The Dad was hired because of the kid (s) period.

That was my point to the OP. "Zo doing his thing already....." is the title of the thread. I'm reading that to mean the OP thinks Zo is a great recruiter and he is adding already. My point was/is he didn't do anything other than hire the kids dad. Not much magic there.

If everyone is okay with this "transaction" then so be it. I think it's slimy.

There was talk of this immediately after Romar was fired. Doesn't really matter who reached out to who. The Dad was hired because of the kid (s) period.

That was my point to the OP. "Zo doing his thing already....." is the title of the thread. I'm reading that to mean the OP thinks Zo is a great recruiter and he is adding already. My point was/is he didn't do anything other than hire the kids dad. Not much magic there.

I don't disagree with you. I will say though, look at the recruiting Zo did at Cal and it's hard to argue that Zo can't recruit these kind of recruits.

Reactions: Dryfly88

Porter Sr has been a professional college basketball coach for quite a while. He's as least as qualified as Brantley was when we hired him.

Porter Sr has been a professional college basketball coach for quite a while. He's as least as qualified as Brantley was when we hired him.
So your position is he was hired strictly because of his qualifications as a basketball coach? That seems like a pretty big reach. Seems the interest in his services picked up considerably when his kid showed huge potential.

For the record, I have nothing against Zo except for this transaction. I would feel the same way if CMP did it here.

So your position is he was hired strictly because of his qualifications as a basketball coach? That seems like a pretty big reach. Seems the interest in his services picked up considerably when his kid showed huge potential.

For the record, I have nothing against Zo except for this transaction. I would feel the same way if CMP did it here.
You hire assistants based, at least partially, on their ability to bring talent in. Sr. knows he has to keep recruiting to keep his job. He has a ton of AAU contacts from his time coaching his kids. He may able to leverage those.

Again, he's at least as qualified as Brantley was.

Reactions: *4purdue*

His dad has prior college coaching experience. Sure he got a better job because of his sons. Its not like he wasn't a coach before they were five star recruits though. Don't see much of an issue with it. Maybe if Cuonzo had to get rid of a coach to hire his dad but he didn't.

You hire assistants based, at least partially, on their ability to bring talent in. Sr. knows he has to keep recruiting to keep his job. He has a ton of AAU contacts from his time coaching his kids. He may able to leverage those.

Again, he's at least as qualified as Brantley was.
If you think that Sr's hiring at both Washington and Mizzou was because of his recruiting skills other than his sons then we see it very differently.

Do you really think he will stay on Mizzou's staff after his son(s) are gone?

If you think that Sr's hiring at both Washington and Mizzou was because of his recruiting skills other than his sons then we see it very differently.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a win win either way. If he stays, he's probably pretty good, if he leaves, Zo looks for the next dad of a stud recruit.

Of course it helped. If you have a stack of similar resumes, and one guy can bring in 2 five stars right away, you take him.

And with his background, I think he will be at least as successful, if not more so, than Brantley. Show me the difference between those 2 guys.

CMP out-recruited Zo for Biggie. Don't forget it! :)

Except that Cal was Biggie's first choice and only after Barnes intervened did Biggie switch his choice to MSU as an FU to dad and then ultimately to Purdue after more intervention from Barnes. I'm a Painter fan but let's get the facts straight. The main reason Biggie came to Purdue is because of Barnes' counseling.

Reactions: DG10
Of course it helped. If you have a stack of similar resumes, and one guy can bring in 2 five stars right away, you take him.

And with his background, I think he will be at least as successful, if not more so, than Brantley. Show me the difference between those 2 guys.

One "followed" his son to two different schools before his son played a single game. The other one didn't.

Except that Cal was Biggie's first choice and only after Barnes intervened did Biggie switch his choice to MSU as an FU to dad and then ultimately to Purdue after more intervention from Barnes. I'm a Painter fan but let's get the facts straight. The main reason Biggie came to Purdue is because of Barnes' counseling.
I really can't win on this bored.

Apparently Zo might also flip Illinois' top recruit Tilmon. Not to mention a 4* that was committed with Porter to Washington is visiting Mizzou too. Zo is a beast of a recruiter. I'm not sure Mizzou will be any good next year still unless Zo lands at least another big recruit. Could be Tilmon or the little Porter reclassifying.

Reactions: Boiler1313
I don't blame 'Zo at all. Time has proven you nearly always need multiple future pros on your team to win a NC. For a few programs they fall into their laps. For the other 98% of programs, you have to get them how and when you can, within the rules if you have scruples, which you know 'Zo does. Martin has his eye on the prize & is doing what he needs to do, within the boundaries of the rules. That is all... Eye on the prize, baby!

This move does put put a lot of pressure on Zo to win now. We have seen that One player cannot carry a team. And it will look bad on the player and Zo if Porter doesn't leave for the NBA after one year. And it's never easy for a coach if he has immediate success, but can't follow it up. Will this be Zo's final coaching stop, or will he move on after another 3years?

This move does put put a lot of pressure on Zo to win now. We have seen that One player cannot carry a team. And it will look bad on the player and Zo if Porter doesn't leave for the NBA after one year. And it's never easy for a coach if he has immediate success, but can't follow it up. Will this be Zo's final coaching stop, or will he move on after another 3years?
Porter could average 2 pts and go first round. He's a one and done

What is Zo's success tactic to get all these players? Painter must have insight as they are close, but for whatever reason can't emulate it. Zo hasn't demonstrated on the court coaching dominance so what is it? A little more Crean-like warm and fuzzy with the recruits (read: used car salesman) vs. Matt's almost too honest defense-heavy approach? Zo and Matt are similar in age and both played under Keady, but maybe Zo just "gets" players better and they buy into him easier.

What is Zo's success tactic to get all these players? Painter must have insight as they are close, but for whatever reason can't emulate it. Zo hasn't demonstrated on the court coaching dominance so what is it? A little more Crean-like warm and fuzzy with the recruits (read: used car salesman) vs. Matt's almost too honest defense-heavy approach? Zo and Matt are similar in age and both played under Keady, but maybe Zo just "gets" players better and they buy into him easier.

Cuonzo has overcome a lot in his life. I'd think that Purdue fans would know this by now. Hailing from one of the most difficult hometowns in the US to escape and make something of one's self, to getting a college scholarship, to 1st team All Big 10. Then, having to give up professional basketball due to cancer, and overcoming that as well. Plus, he's got a personality that will light up the room. Seems pretty obvious to me why parents and recruits would immediately be drawn to him. But, by all means, keep implying that anybody getting better recruits than Painter has to do it by used-car salesman methods, and CMP's moral compass is just too strong for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT