ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't surprise

paintball1979

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2008
to see Purdue seeded against Cal in a possible 2nd round match up. They like to do that kind of stuff.

with the winner to face WVU in Seth Greenberg's bracket if seeds hold true

The match-ups do not typically hold true in bracket projections. For example, Lunardi had Purdue and Maryland playing in the second round yesterday - that would not happen and Lunardi knows that. But the amount of time they'd have to spend looking at those kinds of things, the only thing they're really doing is seeding.

to see Purdue seeded against Cal in a possible 2nd round match up. They like to do that kind of stuff.

I don't think I would say "they liked to do that kind of stuff". They actually try to avoid 'storyline' match-ups (whether re-matches, etc.) in many cases. Of course, if you're looking at a 4/5 match-up or what not, there's a 25% chance of those teams playing regardless if they are both considered those seeds.

The match-ups do not typically hold true in bracket projections. For example, Lunardi had Purdue and Maryland playing in the second round yesterday - that would not happen and Lunardi knows that. But the amount of time they'd have to spend looking at those kinds of things, the only thing they're really doing is seeding.

Yeah, Lunardi does that, which to me de-values his bracket projections somewhat.

But, in this case it could very well happen if Purdue is a #3, Cal is #6 and WVU is #2 in the same Regional bracket. What I meant by seeds holding true.....the higher seed winning until the particular teams meet.

...and to make money..

I don't think this is true one bit. The people on NCAA Committees are not marketing gurus.

Sure, do interesting match-ups occur? Of course. But is it done purposely? I don't believe so. They 100% avoid rematches. Looking at last year's tournament (granted I don't know every story line off the top of my head), but I don't really see any notable match-ups - maybe except for a Notre Dame/Butler 2nd round match-up, but again - how much of it is them trying to pair interesting match-ups vs. the way it falls for seeding and locations.

For example, they had #1 Duke and #4 Georgetown in the same bracket - which would meet in the Sweet 16. Those are "rivals" that used to play yearly and are big name historic basketball names.

But was that done for that reason?

They probably were not going to put #4 Georgetown with #1 Wisconsin because they played earlier in the season.

Another #4 was UNC, which they weren't going to pair with #1 Duke for obvious reasons.

Another #4 was Maryland, who just switched conferences after having Duke be a rival in the ACC.

And another #1 was Villanova, who they weren't going to pair with fellow Big East #4 Georgetown.

So you can look at that Duke vs. Georgetown match-up in tunnel vision and say it was done for TV purposes or interesting match-ups/storylines. Or you can look at the big picture and say well, they actually avoided more prominent storylines and inter-conference match-ups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT