ADVERTISEMENT

The Facts

Shaka's team ran Painters off the floor on his way to a Final Four! The only FF Painter has been to, he had to buy a ticket.
Mike Davis and Tom Crean ran Purdue off the floor. Explain why you are not touting them to be the next Purdue coach.

If John Wooden did not have Sam Gilbert , he would not have any Final 4's.

But he did and won more than anyone. CMP can't be mentioned in the same sentence with Wooden.

You and New Pal should have a circle jerk with your can't-do-no-wrong MP.

I swear you both are relatives of him...

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerDeac
But he did and won more than anyone. CMP can't be mentioned in the same sentence with Wooden.

You and New Pal should have a circle jerk with your can't-do-no-wrong MP.

I swear you both are relatives of him...
Just amazed at the stupidity of people wanting to fire Matt after he won Big 10 title and BTT in a year, most thought would be a rebuilding one.

Reactions: mathboy
That is the most bad-faith, context-free argument i have ever seen. Nobody said or even implied that the goal is to beat higher seeds. But at some point you have to do it in order to get where you ultimately want to go. And top coaches at least have some history of doing so. It's all part of the analysis of Painter's record.

2007, 9 seed, 2nd rd, beat 8, lost to 1, +1 round over expected
2008, 6 seed, 2nd rd, beat 11, lost to 3, +0
2009, 5 seed, S16, beat 4, lost to 1, +1
2010, 4 seed, S16, beat 5, lost to 1, +0
2011, 3 seed, 2nd rd, beat 14, lost to 11, -1
2012, 10 seed, 2nd rd, beat 7, lost to 2, +1
2015, 9 seed, 1st rd, lost to 8, +0
2016, 5 seed, 1st rd, lost to 12, -1
2017, 4 seed, S16, lost to 1, +0
2018, 2 seed, S16, lost to 3, -1
2019, 3 seed, EE, beat 2, lost to 1, +1
2021, 4 seed, 1st rd, lost to 13, -2
2022, 3 seed, S16, lost to 15, -0
2023, 1 seed, 1st rd, lost to play-in 16, -3 (at least)

4 wins over higher seeds (9v8, 5v4, 10v7, 3v2). That means occasional minor over-achieving (once in last 10 years) versus severe and increasingly-frequent under-achieving (5 losses to teams 7 or more seeds lower). Any of the results above would be palatable on their own (save this year) if there were something to offset. Yes Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Syracuse, etc all have bad early losses. It happens. When there is no high level post season success to pair with it, the issue becomes a glaring one to many fans. This is what is being argued. The entirety of his post season work. Please stop pedantically pretending otherwise.
Top notch! Top notch! Painter has only 1 time…1 damn time, beat a team seeded more than 1 seed higher. And….that was St Mary’s, hardly the battle tested blue blue you’d hope to defeat in the tournament.

Just amazed at the stupidity of people wanting to fire Matt after he won Big 10 title and BTT in a year, most thought would be a rebuilding one.
Congrats Purdue for being the tallest midget. The B10 was garbage this year and proves that in the tourney.

Who has fired a defending conference champion who’s made 8 NCAA tournaments in a row?
Who cares. Your goal is to win conference games. Great! Buy the t-shirt. A program makes their name and reputation on the national stage in the tourny and right now, Purdue and Painters reputation is the biggest choke team in college basketball.

Who cares. Your goal is to win conference games. Great! Buy the t-shirt. A program makes their name and reputation on the national stage in the tourny and right now, Purdue and Painters reputation is the biggest choke team in college basketball.
He’s a winning NCAA Tournament coach.

You not leveraging your highly successful career and ponying up for the 5-star players you have always craved. Just step up. Contribute to your happiness.
There it is again, Lil Andy thinking that is someone would come up with $16m to buy out Painter or buy some players.

Top notch! Top notch! Painter has only 1 time…1 damn time, beat a team seeded more than 1 seed higher. And….that was St Mary’s, hardly the battle tested blue blue you’d hope to defeat in the tournament.
Who cares? They don’t hand out trophies for beating higher seeds.

What other coach has lost to a 16, 15, 13, and 11?
Painter's record is 17-15 in March Madness, lost to a 12 seed as well.

0-5 against 1 seeds.
1-1 against 2 seeds.
0-2 against 3 seeds.
1-0 against 4 seeds..........2-8 against top 4 seeds.

2-0 against 5 seeds.
2-0 against 6 seeds.
1-0 against 7 seeds
1-2 against 8 seeds...........6-2 against 5-8 seeds.

Never played a 9 seed.
1-0 against a 10 seed
1-1 against 11 seeds
1-1 against 12 seeds............3-2 against 9-12 seeds.

2-1 against 13 seeds
3-0 against 14 seeds
1-1 against 15 seeds
0-1 against 16 seeds..................6-3 against 13-16 seeds.

JaJuan Johnon and Matt Haarms are still the 2 centers

on his 2 best built tourney teams, 2010 with healthy

Hummel and 2019. Those teams had 1 thing in common:

versatile, athletic players. If Painter had teams year

after year like 2010 and 2019, he would make the Final Four.

Recruiting too many "one-dimensional, limited" players

is his problem. Purdue has to recruit better, more

consistently or get a new coach who will. The truth hurts.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
Painter's record is 17-15 in March Madness, lost to a 12 seed as well.

0-5 against 1 seeds.
1-1 against 2 seeds.
0-2 against 3 seeds.
1-0 against 4 seeds..........2-8 against top 4 seeds.

2-0 against 5 seeds.
2-0 against 6 seeds.
1-0 against 7 seeds
1-2 against 8 seeds...........6-2 against 5-8 seeds.

Never played a 9 seed.
1-0 against a 10 seed
1-1 against 11 seeds
1-1 against 12 seeds............3-2 against 9-12 seeds.

2-1 against 13 seeds
3-0 against 14 seeds
1-1 against 15 seeds
0-1 against 16 seeds..................6-3 against 13-16 seeds.

JaJuan Johnon and Matt Haarms are still the 2 centers

on his 2 best built tourney teams, 2010 with healthy

Hummel and 2019. Those teams had 1 thing in common:

versatile, athletic players. If Painter had teams year

after year like 2010 and 2019, he would make the Final Four.

Recruiting too many "one-dimensional, limited" players

is his problem. Purdue has to recruit better, more

consistently or get a new coach who will. The truth hurts.
TLDR: he’s a winning NCAA Tournament coach.

TLDR: he’s a winning NCAA Tournament coach.
Keep telling yourself Painter is a good tourney coach if that’s what you need to do to make yourself feel good. Most of us, and the national Perception is that he’s really, really bad in the tourney.

Keep telling yourself Painter is a good tourney coach if that’s what you need to do to make yourself feel good. Most of us, and the national Perception is that he’s really, really bad in the tourney.
But yet, math says otherwise.

There it is again, Lil Andy thinking that is someone would come up with $16m to buy out Painter or buy some players.
Every year you tell us you set goals for the team and tell us that high goals is what made you successful. You complain that Purdue does not bring in the players to meet your goals, but you do nothing to help them. Then you blame the coach and players. Hot air.

Who cares? They don’t hand out trophies for beating higher seeds.
Ok one more. Yes you are correct. There are no trophies for that. So why are people mentioning it? Well the goal is to get to the final four right? One way is to be a 1 seed and beat lower seeds. But it's hard to be a 1 seed. He's only done it once. No shame in that. So you will most likely have to beat a higher seed at some point to get where you want to go. Examining the record of over-achieving versus under-achieving is one measure of a coach's ability. Some guys are a one hit wonder, get to one FF, then never do much after that (Davis, Crean, Shaka so far, some of the smaller school guys, etc.). Most long term successful coaches have SOMETHING you can point to in the post season. That's the frustration - probably the 2 greatest examples maybe in CBB history of disparity between regular season success and post season lack of success happen to be our last 2 coaches. That's a tough roller coaster to be on. So when guys like Dopey Andy come in on repeat with "sO yoU wAnT mIkE DaVIs ThEn rIghT?" its just so disingenuous (or just plain stupid). And I don't want to lump you into that group. But nobody is hanging their hat solely on "beating higher seeds" being the goal. But in reality, it will have to be part of the process along the way. And if Painter, like his predecessor, can't get it done, and won't change his ways, then at some point you have to make a tough call despite all of the regular season success.

I suppose the other option is to get really lucky with other teams getting upset so that you get, for example, a 14-6-15-8 path to the final four. But we are Purdue. We would never get that lucky right? If that ever happened we would certainly take advantage. Right?

Ok one more. Yes you are correct. There are no trophies for that. So why are people mentioning it? Well the goal is to get to the final four right? One way is to be a 1 seed and beat lower seeds. But it's hard to be a 1 seed. He's only done it once. No shame in that. So you will most likely have to beat a higher seed at some point to get where you want to go. Examining the record of over-achieving versus under-achieving is one measure of a coach's ability. Some guys are a one hit wonder, get to one FF, then never do much after that (Davis, Crean, Shaka so far, some of the smaller school guys, etc.). Most long term successful coaches have SOMETHING you can point to in the post season. That's the frustration - probably the 2 greatest examples maybe in CBB history of disparity between regular season success and post season lack of success happen to be our last 2 coaches. That's a tough roller coaster to be on. So when guys like Dopey Andy come in on repeat with "sO yoU wAnT mIkE DaVIs ThEn rIghT?" its just so disingenuous (or just plain stupid). And I don't want to lump you into that group. But nobody is hanging their hat solely on "beating higher seeds" being the goal. But in reality, it will have to be part of the process along the way. And if Painter, like his predecessor, can't get it done, and won't change his ways, then at some point you have to make a tough call despite all of the regular season success.

I suppose the other option is to get really lucky with other teams getting upset so that you get, for example, a 14-6-15-8 path to the final four. But we are Purdue. We would never get that lucky right? If that ever happened we would certainly take advantage. Right?
The goal is to win 4 NCAA games in a row and get to the final four. Not beating higher seeds.

Historically you get there by getting a 1, 2 or 3 seed. He needs to get more 1,2 and 3 seeds, in which case there will be very few opportunities to “beat higher seeds”, which Painter has actually done, multiple times.

I also think we are generally over seeded in the NCAA, due to CMPs ability to figure out the B1G every season. That obviously doesn’t increase our chances of “beating higher seeds”. But does increase our chances of winning 4 NCAA games in a row.

Reactions: Dryfly88
The goal is to win 4 NCAA games in a row and get to the final four. Not beating higher seeds.

Historically you get there by getting a 1, 2 or 3 seed. He needs to get more 1,2 and 3 seeds, in which case there will be very few opportunities to “beat higher seeds”, which Painter has actually done, multiple times.

I also think we are generally over seeded in the NCAA, due to CMPs ability to figure out the B1G every season. That obviously doesn’t increase our chances of “beating higher seeds”. But does increase our chances of winning 4 NCAA games in a row.
I think you have a good point about B1G success getting us a higher seed than we really deserve. This past season was a good example. At no time in the final 6 weeks of the season did I think we were one of the 4 best teams in the country. The B1G was extremely weak and we were the best of that bunch. I know in the past there has been a lot of discussion on here about our seed and usually people think we got cheated and seeded to low. I would argue most years if anything we are too high because of the over emphasis of the B1G success.

Reactions: DrEss
Every year you tell us you set goals for the team and tell us that high goals is what made you successful. You complain that Purdue does not bring in the players to meet your goals, but you do nothing to help them. Then you blame the coach and players. Hot air.
Pay me Painters salary and I'll do something about it. Otherwise, I'll complain on an anonymous internet message board like the rest of us here.

Just to jump on this 0 final fours business...this is not a Painter problem. I would submit it is more a Big Ten problem. The Big Ten has been dismal over the last 15 or so years in the NCAA, with a few (very few) exceptions. No NCAA champs in 20 years, even this year...I think only MSU made it to sweet 16. The Big Ten style of play is terrible and my opinion is that it is because the officiating is terribly inconsistent.
Purdue also has had horrible luck and that is not a Painter issue...the Haas year and the Virginia last second in elite eight. Not to mention 2 years when Robbie Hummel gets injured. All those teams could have won it.

You missed my point entirely. The BB advantage I was referring to was in the ability to hire a coach better than Painter. Embarrassing losses aside, there are a handful of active coaches that have been to a S16 or better more than Painter in the last decade. The ones that have had better success aren't really possible hires as they are already at a BB, or are firmly in place at their existing school (Ganzaga/Few).

So that leaves the only option for an upgrade being a Hail Mary attempt on an up and comer. See where that has gotten IU.....

My point with UVA and Baylor is that they were basically Purdue before they broke through and won a champ game. Look at their results leading up to those titles. Lots and lots of consistently good but not great seasons.

Look at Virginia this year...they lost in first round to a 15 seed. I don't think they even got in the tournament a year ago.. I would not trade places with them.

Look at Virginia this year...they lost in first round to a 15 seed. I don't think they even got in the tournament a year ago.. I would not trade places with them.

Virginia was a 4 seed. Arizona was the 2 seed who lost to a 15. Was a 1 seed last year and I think lost in the 2nd round

Pay me Painters salary and I'll do something about it. Otherwise, I'll complain on an anonymous internet message board like the rest of us here.
lol. OK. No one believed your vague stories that you were possibly working on deals to bring in top players. As suspected, all blow and no go. You talk about how successful you are in business because you set high goals for yourself, and it's why you tell us you set high goals for Purdue basketball players. And you were always in favor of Purdue bending the rules to get top players. But now that the Supreme Court and the NCAA has given you permission to bring in the players you want, you change your story. You only want to whine on an anonymous message board.

You got what you deserved with this year's team. A lot of bluster, but when it came time to step up and deliver, failure. Their performance met your performance. The difference is, they put in the effort. You? Whining is all you've got.

lol. OK. No one believed your vague stories that you were possibly working on deals to bring in top players. As suspected, all blow and no go. You talk about how successful you are in business because you set high goals for yourself, and it's why you tell us you set high goals for Purdue basketball players. And you were always in favor of Purdue bending the rules to get top players. But now that the Supreme Court and the NCAA has given you permission to bring in the players you want, you change your story. You only want to whine on an anonymous message board.

You got what you deserved with this year's team. A lot of bluster, but when it came time to step up and deliver, failure. Their performance met your performance. The difference is, they put in the effort. You? Whining is all you've got.
Lil Andy is fiesty today. I like it.
Once again, do you really believe I would tell you on an anonymous message board any financial arrangements I’ve made?
OK, I’ll tell you what you want to hear….I’ve contributed $500k to the Purdue Alliance. Look it up.

Just to jump on this 0 final fours business...this is not a Painter problem. I would submit it is more a Big Ten problem. The Big Ten has been dismal over the last 15 or so years in the NCAA, with a few (very few) exceptions. No NCAA champs in 20 years, even this year...I think only MSU made it to sweet 16. The Big Ten style of play is terrible and my opinion is that it is because the officiating is terribly inconsistent.
Purdue also has had horrible luck and that is not a Painter issue...the Haas year and the Virginia last second in elite eight. Not to mention 2 years when Robbie Hummel gets injured. All those teams could have won it.
I wanted to share some numbers/facts. If you start at the 01 season (the year after Mich St, last B1G team to win the title), there have been 22 tourneys (covid year cancelled).

The B1G has had 14 Final Four appearances among 6 different schools (mich st [6], mich [2], wisc [2], ohio st [2], indiana [1], illinois [1]) with 7 title game appearances.

Yes, the B1G is not having the success it had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but plenty of B1G teams are getting to the Final Four and 1 out of 3 championship games has a B1G team in it.

The last 3 tourneys have been particularly bad for the B1G. Zero Final Fours and, as you pointed out, some years Sweet 16 was the farthest a B1G team went.

This thread has devolved into incredible nonsense, lack of realistic perspective and ignorance of the game. Please let it end. It’s good that we post anonymously because I would hate to think some of these posts came from anyone I know personally.

8-(

Lil Andy is fiesty today. I like it.
Once again, do you really believe I would tell you on an anonymous message board any financial arrangements I’ve made?
OK, I’ll tell you what you want to hear….I’ve contributed $500k to the Purdue Alliance. Look it up.
lol. Honesty has never been one of your strengths.

Trust me, there are several people here who believe Painter is the pinnacle of who could/would coach Purdue. They may be in hiding, but the thought of replacing Painter makes their tummy ache.
I don’t think Painter is the best coach we can ever get but there are other factors involved that you are ignoring.
The bottom line is Painter has this program on the upswing and has for the past decade. A few upsets aren’t going to derail what he is building right now. It sucks to lose those game but there are legitimate reasons as to why the losses don’t mean the end of the world.

I don’t think Painter is the best coach we can ever get but there are other factors involved that you are ignoring.
The bottom line is Painter has this program on the upswing and has for the past decade. A few upsets aren’t going to derail what he is building right now. It sucks to lose those game but there are legitimate reasons as to why the losses don’t mean the end of the world.
I think you have to differentiate between between regular season success and tourney failure.

Purdue has had a lot or regular season success the last few years, earning No1 ranking 2 years in a row, having some players garner some nice individual recognition, having a lottery pick., etc.

But, you can't ignore that fact that he's had historically bad upset losses in the tourney and he's consistently losing to much lower seeded teams.
So, while the regular season trend is certainly pointing up, the tourney arrow is pointed in the opposite direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT