ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Officiating Crew

100% agree. I almost never think they do a great job, but last night was a joke. Better clean in up or people might start thinking they are managing games vs calling them.

Reactions: tjreese
The 2 that really killed me were Zach's 3rd, when 2 TN players fell over each other with no contact from 15, and Heide's when Gainey? basically tripped and ran him over. But it was a mess both ways really. Either team could point to this or that.

The truth is, we make FTs, especially early, and it's not that brutal of a game.

The greatest sin in officiating is inconsistency. This crew was very inconsistent. However, I did not think they favored one team over the other.

Reactions: Gesysp
I agree 100% on the lack of consistency. It wasn’t just that they clamped down and called a tighter game in the second half; but the calls were inconsistent within minutes of one another. I mean the call for the hook on Vescovi was weak, then a Purdue player did the same thin a few minutes later and no call. Just weird.

It pains me to say I think overall TN came out slightly ahead in favored calls.

I don’t think TN is a dirty team though. They play hard and super scrappy, but I get tired of the pregame national narrative focuses mainly on our physical play. Purdue was up to the task and matched the intensity, like I knew they would. I think this is one of the best non-traditional “rivalries” in college BB right now.

The 2 that really killed me were Zach's 3rd, when 2 TN players fell over each other with no contact from 15, and Heide's when Gainey? basically tripped and ran him over. But it was a mess both ways really. Either team could point to this or that.

The truth is, we make FTs, especially early, and it's not that brutal of a game.
The second foul call against Edey wasn’t much better. I can kind of see the fourth, but even it was weak.

As far as Gainey, it almost seemed like he was searching out Purdue defenders to run over (when he didn’t have the ball) so he could pick up cheap fouls.

I agree 100% on the lack of consistency. It wasn’t just that they clamped down and called a tighter game in the second half; but the calls were inconsistent within minutes of one another. I mean the call for the hook on Vescovi was weak, then a Purdue player did the same thin a few minutes later and no call. Just weird.

I don’t think TN is a dirty team though. They play hard and super scrappy, but I get tired of the pregame national narrative focuses mainly on our physical play. Purdue was up to the task and matched the intensity, like I knew they would. I think this is one of the best non-traditional “rivalries” in college BB right now.
UT isn’t dirty at all. Just a very physical, very well coached team, that “fouls” constantly and hopes the officials won’t call all of them.

No, I wouldn't call TN dirty. They were very physical "INSIDE" on Zach as well as scrappy. It took a super game by Fletcher or Purdue wouldn't have been in it. Tenn will play best with a slow whistle which definitely happened first half yesterday. The vols will win a lot of games as they are a really good team.

If we made our free throws the game would have been a blowout. But yes a few fouls against Purdue nobody even touched the Tennessee players. Commentators even pointed it out on a few against Purdue.

The game flipped after Barnes got his tech. That got the phantom call against Edey which changed the game.

Genius strategy where a technical gets the game called in your favor from there out.

This is why refs should be required to take questions post game on all their calls.
This is exactly why I want Painter to just go off on the refs sometimes and get a technical. Lots of times it changes the way the refs call it.

add in for salt to the wound Zach Edey's first foul, which was an obvious push-off offensive foul - Bilas was calling the foul as it occurred.

Both teams have rights to complain, but ZE's to me were total head-scratchers......I get it that he is the toughest single player to officiate......but you gotta do better than that.

I don't think TN is dirty at all. They just foul a lot and challenge the refs to call them all. The only criticism I have is when Barnes then tries to flip the narrative and act like they don't foul and can't believe they are getting a bunch of fouls called on them. If you are going to coach that strategy and play like that, no problem. Just don't bitch when the refs call you for a bunch of fouls.

This is exactly why I want Painter to just go off on the refs sometimes and get a technical. Lots of times it changes the way the refs call it.
Someone brought it up that NCAA needs to be like the NBA in that assistants and bench folks should be T’d up when they start chirping the refs. Neutralize them immediately and prevents them from trying to take control of the refs.

I noticed Painter was in the ear of the refs the entire game trying to keep it balanced. The NCAA should publicly reprimand officials and sanction them based on egregious calls like last night.

Reactions: nitrowars
Someone brought it up that NCAA needs to be like the NBA in that assistants and bench folks should be T’d up when they start chirping the refs. Neutralize them immediately and prevents them from trying to take control of the refs.

I noticed Painter was in the ear of the refs the entire game trying to keep it balanced. The NCAA should publicly reprimand officials and sanction them based on egregious calls like last night.
He is always talking to the refs. He never rips into them though. I like his calm demeanor most of the time. Every once in a while I want to see him just go off though.

I don't think TN is dirty at all. They just foul a lot and challenge the refs to call them all. The only criticism I have is when Barnes then tries to flip the narrative and act like they don't foul and can't believe they are getting a bunch of fouls called on them. If you are going to coach that strategy and play like that, no problem. Just don't bitch when the refs call you for a bunch of fouls.
“WHY ARE YOU BLOWING YOUR WHISTLE EVERY TIME WE FOUL THEM !!???”

I wouldn't particularly call UT dirty. But you need to own the "physical play" that gets called out on national TV. UT is the common denominator in that. You're the Rutgers and Wisconsin of the SEC.

That game last night wasn't basketball. That was a beat the shit out of each other slugfest that shouldn't be accepted by fans and officials. There was nothing enjoyable in watching that. And sooner or later, your team or an opponents team is going to have a very good player get hurt because of it.

That I have seen in quite awhile. Watched the game again this morning and there was no consistency and let muggings go but called sometimes fictitious touch fouls! Lost control early and never regained it. I would not hire this crew for a high school game.
It seems like referees always try to keep the game close they call touch fouls on the leading team to keep it close

The reffing wasn’t good but damn that’s a tough game to ref with these teams. I do think it was called fairly, just not correct lol. Also, fans were booing on one TKR foul, it without a doubt was over the back, that was a foul.

Reactions: nitrowars
The reffing wasn’t good but damn that’s a tough game to ref with these teams. I do think it was called fairly, just not correct lol. Also, fans were booing on one TKR foul, it without a doubt was over the back, that was a foul.
It is always a tough game to ref if play starts out physical...which it did, and the refs don't get in control early which they didn't. THAT helped Tenn early and when Purdue tried to counter second half by playing more similar to Tenn, both teams found a different whistle OR lack of whistle in some cases. It was a very poorly officiated game. It wasn't that the refs were not good, but rather they were horrible.

I don't think refs cheat, but I also find them affecting one team more than the other. That is expected. With three refs that could be as simple as not only different perspectives of a different situation, but a willingness to make calls outside their 1/3 of the court area as well as the rotation that takes place as the teams go from one end to another and the refs under the basket are different for different teams quite often. It will always be an issue with good refs, but not nearly as big an issue with bad refs.

The greatest sin in officiating is inconsistency. This crew was very inconsistent. However, I did not think they favored one team over the other.
Al McGuire always said that. They were bad, that one where Heide got run over was a head scratcher along w/ the blow by ticky tack one on Gillis late in the 2nd half

That might be interesting to see but I think most Purdue fans would not want to see that. We just want the Painter who outcoached Few and Barnes with halftime adjustments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT