ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s NCAA Tournament: Purdue vs. St. John’s Game Thread

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue takes on St. John’s in the First Four tonight at 7:00pm ET on ESPN.

Drop your predictions and thoughts in the thread.

We are playing 5 on 4 when Layden is in there. She is completely useless, offensively and defensively against this team.

Man, we have not played badly but St. John is killing us with 3PT shots (8/14). Down by 6 at halftime. We have got to guard the line better.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Easy to hit when you leave them wide open and have guards who simply just can’t match their athleticism. Harden and Layden are getting owned.

Easy to hit when you leave them wide open and have guards who simply just can’t match their athleticism. Harden and Layden are getting owned.
Yes, Layden at this point is a 7-8th man role player. Purdue needs to hit the transfer portal and get an athlete or two. Let’s hope they can pull this out.

Yes, Layden at this point is a 7-8th man role player. Purdue needs to hit the transfer portal and get an athlete or two. Let’s hope they can pull this out.

KG needs to have the tough talk with her. I know she wants to play with her little sister but she needs to be replaced by a transfer if this team is going to make another jump.

KG needs to have the tough talk with her. I know she wants to play with her little sister but she needs to be replaced by a transfer if this team is going to make another jump.
She shouldn’t be forced to leave, with Stoddard leaving Purdue has like 2-3 more spots available for transfers if they want to go that route. I hope they get at least 1, preferably 2 athletes that can score the ball and defend.

She shouldn’t be forced to leave, with Stoddard leaving Purdue has like 2-3 more spots available for transfers if they want to go that route. I hope they get at least 1, preferably 2 athletes that can score the ball and defend.

Yeah? We have 5 freshmen coming in. 8-9 returners. That’s 13-14 kids. We will need 2-3 to transfer

Yeah? We have 5 freshmen coming in. 8-9 returners. That’s 13-14 kids. We will need 2-3 to transfer
No more than 8 returning, and maybe less, with 5 incoming we already have spots for 2 transfers if CKG wants to keep patching the leaks instead of building for the future.

Petree’s technical foul cost us a valuable possession. Would have had two free throws plus the ball.

No more than 8 returning, and maybe less, with 5 incoming we already have spots for 2 transfers if CKG wants to keep patching the leaks instead of building for the future.
I do think a transfer would be fine, after that I agree, not a fan of a ton of them.

Petree’s technical foul cost us a valuable possession. Would have had two free throws plus the ball.

That wasn’t a technical. Not in any sense of the word. She was clearly cheering to the stands. It was called to offset the foul call prior. Which was a foul. She clipped her legs/feet. The announcers were absolutely clueless all game embarrassing by ESPN.

This isn’t football. You can’t offset technicals “flags”.

I do think a transfer would be fine, after that I agree, not a fan of a ton of them.

Transfers are the only reason KG could turn around the ship as fast as she did. Without the 4 transfers no way we could go from 7 to 19 wins in 2 years. It’s not plugging holes. It’s literally replacing the engine.

Anytime you hit a player in the face it’s going to be reviewed. Whether she’s celebrating or not, the officials can call it.

Anytime you hit a player in the face it’s going to be reviewed. Whether she’s celebrating or not, the officials can call it.

They can review but they shouldn’t make the call. There was literal no intent there at all. It was obvious. At that point of the game that should never been called unless they were feeling guilty about the foul call prior.

Layden is a 3 not a pg or 2.

Layden plays basketball like a 92 year old. A complete defensive liability who can occasionally hit a 3 or make a nice pass.

That’s it. We aren’t making the next step with her playing major minutes next year.

On to next year. Hopefully we will get better and then hope coach can talk some real game changers to come to Purdue. If not we will get better but not become a real player in the elite tea man s world

Reactions: DocRon
Transfers are the only reason KG could turn around the ship as fast as she did. Without the 4 transfers no way we could go from 7 to 19 wins in 2 years. It’s not plugging holes. It’s literally replacing the engine.
Agreed, I said I hope they get at least 1 possibly 2, they got room for that, I don’t want to see more than that.

Agreed, I said I hope they get at least 1 possibly 2, they got room for that, I don’t want to see more than that.
My problem with the continuation of transfers in playing huge minutes is it stifles the growth of your underclassmen and lead to a revolving door of players into the portal, creating more needs that can be filled easier from a transfer than developing players and it becomes a self defeating cycle trapping the team at about the 20 win level. From last year to this, of the five players that were recruited to Purdue, 3 regressed year over year in their play, one held even and one made very small improvements in the jump from Frosh to soph, usually the biggest year of growth for a player. I mean if this staff cannot develop talent, the portal keeps them employed for more years but ultimately dooms them to mediocrity then failure IMO.

My problem with the continuation of transfers in playing huge minutes is it stifles the growth of your underclassmen and lead to a revolving door of players into the portal, creating more needs that can be filled easier from a transfer than developing players and it becomes a self defeating cycle trapping the team at about the 20 win level. From last year to this, of the five players that were recruited to Purdue, 3 regressed year over year in their play, one held even and one made very small improvements in the jump from Frosh to soph, usually the biggest year of growth for a player. I mean if this staff cannot develop talent, the portal keeps them employed for more years but ultimately dooms them to mediocrity then failure IMO.

Really? Because your personal favorite Moseley at Wisconsin has taken this approach and has been less than mediocre during her time with the badgers and Whalen at Minnesota got the boot for taking the “developmental” approach. While coaches like Illinois’ coach is sky high by her quick turnaround and is in position to continue her mobility upward by snatching a couple more high profile transfers for next year. Have another good season and you’re sitting pretty with both good transfers and good recruits.

You’re saying this now but watch KG take the developmental approach next year and play her freshmen major minutes against experienced teams like iu, OSU, Maryland, Michigan, Illinois. And we take a step backwards - you will be all over this board calling her a bust.

Really? Because your personal favorite Moseley at Wisconsin has taken this approach and has been less than mediocre during her time with the badgers and Whalen at Minnesota got the boot for taking the “developmental” approach. While coaches like Illinois’ coach is sky high by her quick turnaround and is in position to continue her mobility upward by snatching a couple more high profile transfers for next year. Have another good season and you’re sitting pretty with both good transfers and good recruits.

You’re saying this now but watch KG take the developmental approach next year and play her freshmen major minutes against experienced teams like iu, OSU, Maryland, Michigan, Illinois. And we take a step backwards - you will be all over this board calling her a bust.
CKG cannot be judged failure or success until the end of season 5 or season 4 if things go great (sweet sixteen level or higher) or complete collapse (4 win or less season). If after 5 seasons she is still taking transfers and winning 18-20 games then it will be every person's opinion as to if that is good enough.

CKG cannot be judged failure or success until the end of season 5 or season 4 if things go great (sweet sixteen level or higher) or complete collapse (4 win or less season). If after 5 seasons she is still taking transfers and winning 18-20 games then it will be every person's opinion as to if that is good enough.

KG came to Purdue without any D1 experience. She was a complete unknown as to how well she will be able to coach at the D1 level. Her only opportunity to quickly show she can coach was to poach the transfer portal and hope for the best. Mind you she wasn’t getting the big time transfers - Ellis was under the radar; so was Terry, Harper and LP. She took mid/low major players and major role players and pieced them together and took a 7 win dumpster fire to a 19 win NCAA tournament team in 2 years.

Now she has results to show recruits and transfers. She has ammo to go out there and get us talent that can take us to the next step. Something recruits/transfers can see. She was already good at selling a dream as I do believe we have a couple instant impact recruits coming in (jones and Groot) but now she has even more to up the ante and go after those program changers.

She needs to do it. We can’t regress in talent. We have to get kids that will move us forward.

I thought this was one of Terry’s worst games. Would have liked to see Smith a lot more.

True, it was a very subpar game for Terry. As for Smith playing more, Tim Newton (radio feed) said on several occasions she was gassed and needed a rest. For whatever reason she appears to be unable to play for 35 ot 40 mins.

Reactions: Gesysp
True, it was a very subpar game for Terry. As for Smith playing more, Tim Newton (radio feed) said on several occasions she was gassed and needed a rest. For whatever reason she appears to be unable to play for 35 ot 40 mins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT