ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin has a big big problem … just about the last one id want to have against Purdue

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
I was reading their board. The player they all cry about the most on the team?

is an offensive tackle (65) who they say they almost want to take out on passing plays cause he can’t pass block… graded at 36.6 against the pass vs Army.

honestly, I’d love it if lambert, due to Wisconsin’s size, just went with Sullivan over right tackle and karlaftis over left tackle (65) for portions of the game. But either way, when they’re on the right hash mark.. they’ve got a problem

by the way, for those who have been anti brohm and were placated by the Iowa win.. I’d just caution this is a different opponent who has played MUCH more aggressively vs Oconnell.. and a classic let down scenario.. in my mind we only needed one win against a school not named northwestern or Indiiiiiiinia. So we are in good position

Reactions: Level 42
I have little doubt that if we lose, the crowd that is very absent at the moment will return and find a way to completely discount the win against Iowa.

But you're right the game against UW will be completely different and while I think we will win, it could be a nail biter and very low scoring.

I have little doubt that if we lose, the crowd that is very absent at the moment will return and find a way to completely discount the win against Iowa.

But you're right the game against UW will be completely different and while I think we will win, it could be a nail biter and very low scoring.
I think we will need between 20-27 to win

One loss doesn't completely discount the win, just like one win doesn't completely discount the previous bad loss. But yes if you crap the bed every time following a big win then yes that pretty much discounts it. You can't get to 7, 8, 9 wins until you consistently win the games you should and occasionally one you shouldn't.

I think we will need between 20-27 to win
Probably so. They’ve had us by the gonads for so long that it doesn’t matter how good they are they pound us. Except for the game that was blown Rondale Moores freshman year. Up 14 in the 4th and lose in triple OT. I will say though that Wisconsin is definitely not the same team as usual but the matchup always gives Purdue problems

One loss doesn't completely discount the win, just like one win doesn't completely discount the previous bad loss. But yes if you crap the bed every time following a big win then yes that pretty much discounts it. You can't get to 7, 8, 9 wins until you consistently win the games you should and occasionally one you shouldn't.
This game is neither. FPI has us winning, Vegas has us losing. I think it may go the way of Minnesota where we look like we could have won but barely lose it, which is why I predicted 5-7 and even now think 7-5..

Reactions: Level 42
This game is neither. FPI has us winning, Vegas has us losing. I think it may go the way of Minnesota where we look like we could have won but barely lose it, which is why I predicted 5-7 and even now think 7-5..
I agree it should be a close game, and a close loss to Wiscy is nothing to be ashamed of even if they aren't as strong this year. I was mainly replying to Level42 as one of the Brohm detractors that he claimed were all absent this week. No we are here and keeping an eye on it. It wasn't just the Minny game that turned me anti Brohm and it will take more than the Iowa game to fix that. If he goes 7-5 that's clear improvement that I would be fine with. At this point less than that would be disappointing.

I agree it should be a close game, and a close loss to Wiscy is nothing to be ashamed of even if they aren't as strong this year. I was mainly replying to Level42 as one of the Brohm detractors that he claimed were all absent this week. No we are here and keeping an eye on it. It wasn't just the Minny game that turned me anti Brohm and it will take more than the Iowa game to fix that. If he goes 7-5 that's clear improvement that I would be fine with. At this point less than that would be disappointing.
I think this is the game where a big ten opponent is allowed to criminally hold our WRs. People will bag on Oconnell but Leon hard will hold our receivers then bring the house.

they need to go into the game, particularly bell who let new some of northwestern get the better of him this way, with the attitude of “no you don’t mfer” and they have to fight through it to make it so obvious that it will be national news if flags don’t come in.

but this is probably a game where they mug our WRs and we get home officiating like we are playing at Notre dame in 1986

I was reading their board. The player they all cry about the most on the team?

is an offensive tackle (65) who they say they almost want to take out on passing plays cause he can’t pass block… graded at 36.6 against the pass vs Army.

honestly, I’d love it if lambert, due to Wisconsin’s size, just went with Sullivan over right tackle and karlaftis over left tackle (65) for portions of the game. But either way, when they’re on the right hash mark.. they’ve got a problem

by the way, for those who have been anti brohm and were placated by the Iowa win.. I’d just caution this is a different opponent who has played MUCH more aggressively vs Oconnell.. and a classic let down scenario.. in my mind we only needed one win against a school not named northwestern or Indiiiiiiinia. So we are in good position
That was a different O'Connell against Iowa, it appears he's gaining experience/improving on the one thing that was really a lead anchor.......risky throws over the middle and he's making more and better throws to the sidelines. If O'Connell doesn't turn it over, we're going to be tough to beat.

I'm ready for Plummer/Burton/Alaimo to throw a TD on a trick play.

WD

That was a different O'Connell against Iowa, it appears he's gaining experience/improving on the one thing that was really a lead anchor.......risky throws over the middle and he's making more and better throws to the sidelines. If O'Connell doesn't turn it over, we're going to be tough to beat.

WD
He wasn’t being risky.. if you play the read game and throw based on feel and understanding of the defense .. you’re gonna have some bad throws because you’re feeling not looking and needing to see a pass come wide open before you feel safe enough and go “oh this one (1), this one looks good, (2) he’s open (3), I’ll thr… boom I just got destroyed by a DE.”

plummer sometimes looks like he needs to see a route come wide open to throw it.. by then you’re cooked

No not really. We haven't had a win like Saturday since the early 70's. Nothing from this point forward takes away or adds to it. Period.
This was a great win. The OSU win was more impressive. That was a wayyyy better team than this Iowa team. We physically dominated in every phase, had several huge, exciting plays in a prime time game against a historically great program. And what did that get us? 2 years of average to below average results.
If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 this win will mean absolutely nothing.

WD
I agree , O Connel was clutch Saturday!

Hey folks, we have been down this road before..... Beating teams that we shouldn't, losing games that we should`ve won.
It`s time for CJB and Co. to flip the script and win 4 games of the next 6.

I agree , O Connel was clutch Saturday!
If O`Connell had been able to play more games last year, this is the QB that you would have seen earlier this year IMO.... He has always been clutch but not always for entire games for several reasons. He learned from the MN Game. Get rid of the ball, don't force anything and run the ball any time nothing is there down field.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
This was a great win. The OSU win was more impressive. That was a wayyyy better team than this Iowa team. We physically dominated in every phase, had several huge, exciting plays in a prime time game against a historically great program. And what did that get us? 2 years of average to below average results.
If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 this win will mean absolutely nothing.
2018 OSU didn't have a defense that was even close to Iowa this year. OSU ranked 52nd in scoring defense and they lived on the edge in several games. They weren't really all that impressive. In fact, they barely squeaked by 13th ranked Washington in the Rose Bowl.

Going into Iowa, and beating a team who's defense was statistically one of the top in the nation (currently ranked 7th in scoring defense) is impressive. You can discount it vs OSU all you want. But what I saw on Saturday was a Purdue team that dominated on both sides of the ball the entire game.

Keep at it then, you'll get it.
Golly didn't see that one coming. Yawn. I laid out my position. And actually the first thing I did was agree with you about 1 win or 1 loss changing anything, but you aren't even smart enough to understand that. You are boring. Be better. Bye.

Golly didn't see that one coming. Yawn. I laid out my position. And actually the first thing I did was agree with you about 1 win or 1 loss changing anything, but you aren't even smart enough to understand that. You are boring. Be better. Bye.
What a weak response. Off to your cry room I guess then? Typical post when you can't formulate a solid a comeback. I mean I acknowledged your 1 win scenario but successfully countered your remark that the Iowa win would be meaningless if the season tanks. Sorry I guess I figured you were smart enough to understand and keep up with the topic at hand. Clearly I was mistaken. Don't worry next time I'll be sure to use pictures for you since that is about all you can grasp.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to supporting the team and it's historic win on saturday.

Last edited:
While I'm very happy where we are, I'll admit I'm being greedy now in that I want Purdue to knock off WI to get them off our back and end that lengthy drought.

They need to call a good game. When Wisc pressures the QB with surprise blitz's from anywhere/everywhere, our guy needs to read it and recognize where the weakness should be that was created by the blitz. That was Drew's forte. And Manning. And all the greats. They would key on the defense pre snap and then locate the wild card. Consider the 'what if's" thinking if they do this then I do that... Does AOC have experience? Yes. Is he decisive? Courageous? Yep. Are our receivers football smart enough to also read and make correct route adjustments? Bell is. Not sure about Wright. Have doubts about Sheffield. Anthrop, definitely. Game will hinge on AOC being calm and making the right reads.... Should be fun.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
They need to call a good game. When Wisc pressures the QB with surprise blitz's from anywhere/everywhere, our guy needs to read it and recognize where the weakness should be that was created by the blitz. That was Drew's forte. And Manning. And all the greats. They would key on the defense pre snap and then locate the wild card. Consider the 'what if's" thinking if they do this then I do that... Does AOC have experience? Yes. Is he decisive? Courageous? Yep. Are our receivers football smart enough to also read and make correct route adjustments? Bell is. Not sure about Wright. Have doubts about Sheffield. Anthrop, definitely. Game will hinge on AOC being calm and making the right reads.... Should be fun.
Against Minnesota there was a game where the corner blitzed, Oconnell saw it, he turned and throw the ball about ten yards upfield to the area the corner came from, and broc Thomson didn’t see it and let it said past him.

Against Minnesota there was a game where the corner blitzed, Oconnell saw it, he turned and throw the ball about ten yards upfield to the area the corner came from, and broc Thomson didn’t see it and let it said past him.
something they need to work on. Granted, pro players have nothing else to do (no school work) and have already proven to be football smart (most of em). In an ideal world.... well maybe with a hot read... just look for Bell /Anthrop or throw it away...

something they need to work on. Granted, pro players have nothing else to do (no school work) and have already proven to be football smart (most of em). In an ideal world.... well maybe with a hot read... just look for Bell /Anthrop or throw it away...
Yeah I just think you talk about all the guys doing it on Sunday and I really doubt Tom Brady was just doing it in 1999.. if you looked at the pass by Oconnell it was clear he had the idea but his receiver wasn’t even on the same one.. which is probably why you don’t see many teams trying it with bells corner

If we take what the Wisky defense gives us without forcing throws .....we will be fine! Getting an early lead again is crucial! Turnover free football is a must(we can afford maybe one)! I watched the army game and just hope Mertz continues his poor play! He has been God awful in 3 of his last 4 games! And of course our defense continues to play with "Swag"!!!! Nothing gets behind us in coverage!

If we take what the Wisky defense gives us without forcing throws .....we will be fine! Getting an early lead again is crucial! Turnover free football is a must(we can afford maybe one)! I watched the army game and just hope Mertz continues his poor play! He has been God awful in 3 of his last 4 games! And of course our defense continues to play with "Swag"!!!! Nothing gets behind us in coverage!
Plan on them not to give us much .. except forcing deep throws to beat them while holding our receivers

Mertz has been a disappointment for sure. and Coan left because of him??? Think they have a walkon who can throw it??? :) Hope not!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT