ADVERTISEMENT

Winds of change bringing a new QB to the team?

Dont get me wrong, WIltfong is really good, but he has a much larger responsibility in terms of sheer number of recruits to follow

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
If McCulley is the difference between beating IU like a red headed stepchild, and being in a closely contested football game, I'm going to stop being a Purdue football fan and start traveling France caravanning behind the TDF.

I think you are stretching what actually happened. Brian reported he thought McCulley was Purdue’s to lose, but that was far from the national perspective. Wiltfong on 247 always said he thought IU was the leader, but it was close.

There are multiple possibilities that are just as likely ...

1. Brohm truly favored Jackson and dumped McCulley
2. Brohm was not confident he could get McCulley and decided to pull the trigger on Jackson to get somebody
3. Brohm knew he was very likely to get Brady and if anything thought going hard after McCulley might botch things with Brady
4. Brohm was not sold on McCulley as a QB

I don’t think it’s anywhere close to a fact that Brohm ‘botched’ a sure fire 4* QB.

brian is rarely wrong when he goes out on a limb like that and when he says it was Purdue’s to lose he has good info. Wiltfong put in a crystal ball for Iu at about 6 am the morning after Sam Jackson committed and hours before McCulley committed to IU. If he really thought iu was the leader he would have put it in earlier like he does often with a low probability score even if it was close.

I was part of the discussion on KHC. There was hope, especially when we saw SJ tweeting at Irving about Purdue, etc. But that is still very different than having a "rumor that the recruitment of Sam Jackson was a 2-for-1 deal."
It was more than just hope. I called it a rumor and I stand by it. I didn’t say it was reported or fact, but it was also more than pure speculation. It wasn’t limited to one thread on KHC but discussed over several months at different locations. I would love to grab some quotes from behind paywalls but that would be unethical. I’ll just leave it there was a rumor. The speculative side discussed was that was a factor in Hodges losing his job that he convinced Brohm to go with Sam J and possibly get his cousin in a package deal and neither happened and it cost him McCulley. That part I believe was pure speculation.

If you have access to paywall sites then you know better than to claim ND or half the Big Ten offered him as a QB. He literally decommitted to Minny to commit to PU, because PU told him he could play QB and Minny did not, according to paywalls. And I have access to most if not all paywalls, so please feel free to drop me a link to any paywall other than GBI that claims McCulley was stunned by what happened with Purdue. If we want to talk about relevant quotes from his press conference, how about the one where he says IU was at the top of his list the whole time? Anyways I am done belaboring the point, just wanted to point out that Purdue fans holding onto a false narrative is a bad look. Carry on.

And edit to say: if the story is true, it is probably an even worse look for Purdue. They promised Jackson everything he wanted, and deliberately passed on McCulley, and he still went elsewhere. Purdue could have slamdunk had a 4* QB in the class but Brohm absolutely botched it? Is that the narrative?
I never said those other schools recruited him as a QB... I acknowledged many looked at him for other positions but said there’s nothing to say Purdue took him without an assumption he would imply play QB at Purdue and other reporters said the same until Hodges scolded them on social media and Sam Jackson said he was recruited as a QB. Josh Helholdt tweeted Purdue recruited him as a DB when he committed to us. For the record when he did decommit from Minnesota then Chicago tribune said most schools recruited him to play other positions but Minnesota and Purdue recruited him for QB. I think a lot of this was Sam as the writing was on the wall at minny with their other QB commit. I don’t know about TCU.

of course he said they were at the top of my list the whole time. I would tell my wife that anytime I could but if Kristen Bell could have been on my list...

I don’t know who “botched it” but the short answer is Purdue football did whether it was the recruiting coordinator, the head coach, someone else on staff, or was just a series of unfortunate events. Again, if we ended up with Sam Jackson and MarKeise Irving instead of Donovan McCulley no one would be saying we botched it.

It was more than just hope. I called it a rumor and I stand by it. I didn’t say it was reported or fact, but it was also more than pure speculation. It wasn’t limited to one thread on KHC but discussed over several months at different locations. I would love to grab some quotes from behind paywalls but that would be unethical. I’ll just leave it there was a rumor. The speculative side discussed was that was a factor in Hodges losing his job that he convinced Brohm to go with Sam J and possibly get his cousin in a package deal and neither happened and it cost him McCulley. That part I believe was pure speculation.
Jackson was brohms call, not Hodges from what I’ve heard. Hodges wanted mcculley

Brian had Moore info well before. Bell he had at roughly the same time.
Wiltfong is a national guy but he lives in Indy. He’s always dialed in on the Power 5 recruits in the Indy area. That’s why he usually has the most info on guys like Bell and McCulley. Kids are probably more likely to give him accurate info since he isn’t affiliated with a program as opposed to Brian or Matt Weaver from Peegs.

Wiltfong is a national guy but he lives in Indy. He’s always dialed in on the Power 5 recruits in the Indy area. That’s why he usually has the most info on guys like Bell and McCulley. Kids are probably more likely to give him accurate info since he isn’t affiliated with a program as opposed to Brian or Matt Weaver from Peegs.

I agree, wiltfong is strong in recruiting in the Indy area (although he’s from zionsville, unfortunately never knew anyone from z’ville I particularly liked - and I don’t know the Thompson’s so don’t thrown that back at me!). I think wiltfong gets good info from the coaching circuit. However in the case of McCulley he didn’t put in his CB until after Sam Jackson committed to Purdue and I recall he said he heard from coaches in the wee hours of the morning an abrupt decision to go to Indiana. Until then Brian was calling it purdues to lose and I can only remember Brian being wrong about that one other time (Hunter Dickinson I think).

Reactions: OLB51
And I have access to most if not all paywalls, so please feel free to drop me a link to any paywall other than GBI that claims McCulley was stunned by what happened with Purdue. If we want to talk about relevant quotes from his press conference, how about the one where he says IU was at the top of his list the whole time? Anyways I am done belaboring the point, just wanted to point out that Purdue fans holding onto a false narrative is a bad look. Carry on.
Come on. I don't really care about this debate but that's a pointless statement. Would you expect him to say, "Nah man, I really wanted to go to Purdue (Iowa) but when Sam (other dude) committed I figured I couldn't go there now so here I am. Go Hoosiers!"

Your timeline of events may very well be accurate, but it's meaningless to me because I don't give a damn. But that bolded statement is equally meaningless.

Last edited:
I was very confused about the jackson offer/commitment. Why was brohm even recruiting him other than he was a 4 star recruit? he was said to be an option QB, and brohm has never installed an option offense. and i don't believe he ever will. So why even bother recruiting an option QB ? Wasn't the B that transferred from UCLA also an option QB? and he's not even listed among purdue's top 3 QBs? Shouldn't that tell you all you need to know about brohm running a n option offense?

The only thing that even remotely explains why brohm pursued jackson was to get the package deal which didn't happen, or the fact he still gets a bonus for the ranking of his recruiting classes. and jackson, regardless of pro or option was a 4 star player.

I was very confused about the jackson offer/commitment. Why was brohm even recruiting him other than he was a 4 star recruit? he was said to be an option QB, and brohm has never installed an option offense. and i don't believe he ever will. So why even bother recruiting an option QB ? Wasn't the B that transferred from UCLA also an option QB? and he's not even listed among purdue's top 3 QBs? Shouldn't that tell you all you need to know about brohm running a n option offense?

The only thing that even remotely explains why brohm pursued jackson was to get the package deal which didn't happen, or the fact he still gets a bonus for the ranking of his recruiting classes. and jackson, regardless of pro or option was a 4 star player.
Option QB? You mean a QB that can scramble like Blough did?

McCulley was rated higher than Sam no way he took Sam to boost his rankings / bonus with McCulley his to lose.

I think you are stretching what actually happened. Brian reported he thought McCulley was Purdue’s to lose, but that was far from the national perspective. Wiltfong on 247 always said he thought IU was the leader, but it was close.

There are multiple possibilities that are just as likely ...

1. Brohm truly favored Jackson and dumped McCulley
2. Brohm was not confident he could get McCulley and decided to pull the trigger on Jackson to get somebody
3. Brohm knew he was very likely to get Brady and if anything thought going hard after McCulley might botch things with Brady
4. Brohm was not sold on McCulley as a QB

I don’t think it’s anywhere close to a fact that Brohm ‘botched’ a sure fire 4* QB.
This description matches my memory. Wiltfong was reporting his view that IU has a small lead. This board, presumably because of Brian's reporting, thought otherwise.

This description matches my memory. Wiltfong was reporting his view that IU has a small lead. This board, presumably because of Brian's reporting, thought otherwise.

correct. He said if he had to pick it was the “slightest of leads” with no enough confidence to put in a CB with low confidence level. Brian said it was ours to lose. Somewhere in the middle but hard to believe based on their confidence levels momentum was on IUs side.

zero to few other QB offers? He was a commitment at minny. He had offers to half the big ten and notre dame!?

I never said those other schools recruited him as a QB...
Anyways.. I know what I know. Spreading a falsehood about a kid to make you feel better about your favorite college football team is a bad look, IMO, but whatever let's you guys sleep at night. Carry on.

Anyways.. I know what I know. Spreading a falsehood about a kid to make you feel better about your favorite college football team is a bad look, IMO, but whatever let's you guys sleep at night. Carry on.
You quoted some comments from me about Sam Jackson that were complementary of him and 100% as reported by the media. I assume you are referring to my comments about McCulley. Maybe there are false but if I can’t talk about things reported by journalists who report the stuff based on conversations to people that do know what happened, we might as should have this board down. For the record my comments were to refute completely speculative and ill-informed commentary on this board that painted certain people in a bad light.

Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT