ADVERTISEMENT

Winds of change bringing a new QB to the team?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
Knucklehead Central seems to be tipping the hat, but no name yet. Tried a quick search including transfer portal, but it didn't have a name.
Leaves me wondering is Purdue attempting to develop a new QB or get an instant impact player. The list of players on the transfer portal didn't wow me too much which makes me think why are we loading up heavy at QB and not getting a RB or is the QB a dual threat type?
OR I may have been punked from KHC with a bait headline.

the only "high profile" guys in he transfer portal are guys who entered ~6mo ago, and have yet to make a decision (or at least an announcement).

Those are:
Tate Martell from Miami (OSU player who left when Fields transferred in)
Austin Kendall from West Virginia
Grant Tisdale from Ole Miss

Last edited:
Donovan McCulley was all but a Purdue commit before we took Sam Jackson.
plummer was his first choice for a quarterback of that class.
Brady too
Alaimo was solid
Burton was solid as well

Donovan McCulley was all but a Purdue commit before we took Sam Jackson.
plummer was his first choice for a quarterback of that class.
Brady too
Alaimo was solid
Burton was solid as well
I may be wrong, but didn't Donovan commit to IU over PU and PU scrambled for Sam Jackson from Chicago area/MN commit?

Hmmm 6'5" dual threat 23rd nationally # 2 in Indiana vs 6'0" 30th nationally ranked #6 in IL.
The mission per Brohm was to get best players locally from a recruiting pipeline. He went against the grain and we end up with a zero between the two. If it is true as indicated, I'd call that a bad move on Purdue's part.

Sam Jackson was all over the place on his commitments/de-commitments. He originally committed to MN in 2019, then de-committed only to re-commit 4 months later-- again --before decommitting and committing to PU. He enrolled at TCU in Jan.

The kid from Guerin Catholic has zero chance of seeing field at PU-dad is reportedly a highend booster and close friend of a high profile BOT member.

Hmmm 6'5" dual threat 23rd nationally # 2 in Indiana vs 6'0" 30th nationally ranked #6 in IL.
The mission per Brohm was to get best players locally from a recruiting pipeline. He went against the grain and we end up with a zero between the two. If it is true as indicated, I'd call that a bad move on Purdue's part.
It’s hard to judge the move now. We have no idea if McCulley ends up being a B1G level QB or not.

It’s entirely possible Brohm was more concerned about getting Brady to commit (he committed not long after all of that went down) and was OK taking a flier on Jackson (who had a reputation of being a flight risk).

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Not necessarily.

Ultimatums sometimes don't work out like you want them to.

When faced with decisions, you sometimes have to go with what appears to be your best option. Hanging your fate on the decisions of 17 and 18 year old kids is a really tough gig.
Dude! You're responding to a guy that would have given a young man down South a scholie. Don't hurt my feelings. :p It was as a bad move just like mine "might" have been.

Last edited:
Dude! You're responding to a guy that would have given a young man down South a scholie. Don't hurt my feelings. :p It was as bad move just like mine "might" have been.
eh?

Dude! My point was spot on.

All recruiters do it. Painter does it in basketball. A bird in hand... and all that. Every school has had it happen. You push to get a commitment to cover a position, then the commitment doesn't hold. It's recruiting.

Not sure why we need to make it into more than it was.

eh?

Dude! My point was spot on.

All recruiters do it. Painter does it in basketball. A bird in hand... and all that. Every school has had it happen. You push to get a commitment to cover a position, then the commitment doesn't hold. It's recruiting.

Not sure why we need to make it into more than it was.
What I didn't know was the combo Jackson/Irving setup or at least what is stated above. That might explain the knee jerk extend offer to Jackson.
The rest of my Dude commentary was just some ribbing.

What I didn't know was the combo Jackson/Irving setup or at least what is stated above. That might explain the knee jerk extend offer to Jackson.
The rest of my Dude commentary was just some ribbing.
"knee jerk"

It was a solid offer, and there were many excited about having him on board.

Although... he was a legit D1 prospect and well above PWO status, so I can understand why you'd be disappointed... ;)

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
No, we took Jackson out of nowhere and then he committed to IU quickly after.
I don't know why Purdue fans continue to hold on to this thought... McCulley had a final 3 of IU, PU, and Iowa. He informed all 3 of his decision before he went public with it. On June 10th, PU and Iowa both take a QB (Iowa a Ball State flip, #42 QB nationally, Purdue an ATH with zero-to-few other QB offers). On June 11th, McCulley publicly announces his commitment to IU. IU was his decision, he was not forced into it.

I don't know why Purdue fans continue to hold on to this thought... McCulley had a final 3 of IU, PU, and Iowa. He informed all 3 of his decision before he went public with it. On June 10th, PU and Iowa both take a QB (Iowa a Ball State flip, #42 QB nationally, Purdue an ATH with zero-to-few other QB offers). On June 11th, McCulley publicly announces his commitment to IU. IU was his decision, he was not forced into it.

Didn't say he was forced, but he took his last remaining Big Ten offer after rumor being on hear he was a Purdue lean. What did I say that was inaccurate.?

Didn't say he was forced, but he took his last remaining Big Ten offer after rumor being on hear he was a Purdue lean. What did I say that was inaccurate.?
All of it..? And are adding to it now. I just explained he didn’t commit to IU after Purdue took Sam Jackson. And by extension he did not take his last remaining Big Ten offer. He narrowed it down to 3 and took the one he wanted, after which the other two schools moved onto their back up plans.

All of it..? And are adding to it now. I just explained he didn’t commit to IU after Purdue took Sam Jackson. And by extension he did not take his last remaining Big Ten offer. He narrowed it down to 3 and took the one he wanted, after which the other two schools moved onto their back up plans.

this your insider report? I'm not a recruit-nik by any means but I don't at all remember anyone on GBI reporting this.

this your insider report? I'm not a recruit-nik by any means but I don't at all remember anyone on GBI reporting this.
Yes but I’m not asking you to rely on that, the fact pattern speaks for itself. Nobody but GBI was reporting he was a Purdue lean. The Iowa piece especially because Purdue admittedly landed well (at the time) with Sam Jackson. But Iowa did not take Joey Labas off of Ball State’s hands if McCulley is still open on June 10th.

It was rumored a 2 for 1 deal. Sam was rumored to be bringing his cousin Irving with him. This went on for a couple months and Irving didn’t come and Jackson decommited. Would be looking like a great move now if everything worked out as planned.

I don't believe that was a 2-for-1 deal/offer, nor was it a rumor. There was certainly some hope that his cousin (who we offered) would also decommit from UMinn, but I really don't think they offered Jackson thinking that we would also get his cousin.

Reactions: JHetfield99
I don't believe that was a 2-for-1 deal/offer, nor was it a rumor. There was certainly some hope that his cousin (who we offered) would also decommit from UMinn, but I really don't think they offered Jackson thinking that we would also get his cousin.
That was a knucklehead rumor. Youre right, nothing wasreported

it was certainly discussed on KHC but there were tea leaves too. Mainly from their respective social media accounts and there was plenty of follow up discussion on how strong of a possibility if not likely behind certain paywalls by key writers in the know.

zero to few other QB offers? He was a commitment at minny. He had offers to half the big ten and notre dame!? I know many looked ar him at other positions but you can’t say Purdue looked at him and said he will only ever play qb at Purdue.
It wasn’t McCulley decision. He had no spot at Iowa and Purdue. It has been reported behind paywalls he was stunned what happened and Purdue never told him about sam Jackson or they were recruiting another Qb and his spot was at Stake he even confirmed in the darn press conference he decided on iu that same day after Purdue landed Sam Jackson.

• Haha
Reactions: UIWHoosier
it was certainly discussed on KHC but there were tea leaves too. Mainly from their respective social media accounts and there was plenty of follow up discussion on how strong of a possibility if not likely behind certain paywalls by key writers in the know.
I don't ever remember any KHC conversations that asserted that there was a designed "package deal" but lots of discussion hoping that he could convince his cousin to follow him to Purdue. And yes, they both admitted that Jackson was lobbying him to do so. My point is, while I know that BrohmCorp would have liked to have both, there was never a rumor of a 2-for-1 deal...just the hope AFTER SJ committed, that he could convince Irving to follow him.

...but we're probably getting close to just splitting hairs.

zero to few other QB offers? He was a commitment at minny. He had offers to half the big ten and notre dame!? I know many looked ar him at other positions but you can’t say Purdue looked at him and said he will only ever play qb at Purdue.
It wasn’t McCulley decision. He had no spot at Iowa and Purdue. It has been reported behind paywalls he was stunned what happened and Purdue never told him about sam Jackson or they were recruiting another Qb and his spot was at Stake he even confirmed in the darn press conference he decided on iu that same day after Purdue landed Sam Jackson.
If you have access to paywall sites then you know better than to claim ND or half the Big Ten offered him as a QB. He literally decommitted to Minny to commit to PU, because PU told him he could play QB and Minny did not, according to paywalls. And I have access to most if not all paywalls, so please feel free to drop me a link to any paywall other than GBI that claims McCulley was stunned by what happened with Purdue. If we want to talk about relevant quotes from his press conference, how about the one where he says IU was at the top of his list the whole time? Anyways I am done belaboring the point, just wanted to point out that Purdue fans holding onto a false narrative is a bad look. Carry on.

And edit to say: if the story is true, it is probably an even worse look for Purdue. They promised Jackson everything he wanted, and deliberately passed on McCulley, and he still went elsewhere. Purdue could have slamdunk had a 4* QB in the class but Brohm absolutely botched it? Is that the narrative?

Last edited:
I was part of the discussion on KHC. There was hope, especially when we saw SJ tweeting at Irving about Purdue, etc. But that is still very different than having a "rumor that the recruitment of Sam Jackson was a 2-for-1 deal."

Its what happened.

Glad to know I am not mis-remembering things as they were purported here.
I think you are stretching what actually happened. Brian reported he thought McCulley was Purdue’s to lose, but that was far from the national perspective. Wiltfong on 247 always said he thought IU was the leader, but it was close.

There are multiple possibilities that are just as likely ...

1. Brohm truly favored Jackson and dumped McCulley
2. Brohm was not confident he could get McCulley and decided to pull the trigger on Jackson to get somebody
3. Brohm knew he was very likely to get Brady and if anything thought going hard after McCulley might botch things with Brady
4. Brohm was not sold on McCulley as a QB

I don’t think it’s anywhere close to a fact that Brohm ‘botched’ a sure fire 4* QB.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I think you are stretching what actually happened. Brian reported he thought McCulley was Purdue’s to lose, but that was far from the national perspective. Wiltfong on 247 always said he thought IU was the leader, but it was close.

2. Brohm was not confident he could get McCulley and decided to pull the trigger on Jackson to get somebody
3. Brohm knew he was very likely to get Brady and if anything thought going hard after McCulley might botch things with Brady

I don’t think it’s anywhere close to a fact that Brohm ‘botched’ a sure fire 4* QB.
Id trust Brian's reporting over Wiltfongs in almost all cases.

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
Id trust Brian's reporting over Wiltfongs in almost all cases.
I generally agree on Purdue related matters, but Wiltfong is very plugged into what’s going on in Indy area. It was also a COVID year where contact in general was limited and normal ways Brian gets info may not have been there.

I'd like to hope it's 3 or 4. But not being there I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT