ADVERTISEMENT

Win total 4.5

we got into the championship solely because we had the best BIG 10 record in the western conference. we were not the best overall team in the west, and we didn't have the best overall record in the west either. Both UW and Iowa were better teams in the west that year. Our bowl game result that year proved how bad we actually were.

but hey, pound your chest, and buy yourself a meaningless t-shirt that says so. we had the best BIG 10 record in the west, and by the rules of the game were selected to play in the championship game.
And we deserved to play in the championship game. I don’t understand why you keep arguing that. No one is sitting here saying that we were a great team that year. How about you go up to each of those players and tell them they didn’t deserve to go you keyboard warrior.

We lucked into that game because of other upsets in the west that year. Iowa was probably the most deserving team in the west that year. Overall, we were probably the 6th to 8th best team in the BIG 10 that year. But some proud fans still like to pound their chests and say we were in the BIG 10 championship game. It was a meaningless game and we really had no business playing for the championship!

The score was close in the first half because Michigan didn’t really take the game or Purdue seriously. The real Michigan showed up in the second half. To say we were close at the half is like saying we were tied when the game started. Or like saying if we scored the first points on our first possession that we were actually winning. That’s why the game has 4 quarters. Even Hazell’s teams had early leads before they ultimately lost.
Lol an 5 loss Iowa team didn’t deserve to go. We had the better record and deserved to go. How did we win the big ten outright including beating two big ten east teams on the road and Rutgers was awful yet there were 5-7 teams better than us? The big 3 were better than us yes but we were 4-5 best in big ten.

Just because a team may be better doesn’t you mean you don’t deserve it. Did you tell your son he doesn’t deserve to win medals or ribbons because other runners were better but just had a bad race? Or did you tell him he didn’t deserve to run college track because there were other people faster than him that just didn’t do what it takes to get on the track team?

Reactions: pu1985
It’s not like we had an awesome team that year. It’s just every other team in the west had a bad year. If we had been in the east, we would have finished 4th or 5th in the east. We had no business being in that championship game, and when the game took place, it was obvious how bad we were.
What? Did you even watch the game?
It was a one score game well into the 4th quarter - UM clinched it on the bad OConnell INT, then tacked on some late points.

Reactions: z_one
Lol an 5 loss Iowa team didn’t deserve to go. We had the better record and deserved to go. How did we win the big ten outright including beating two big ten east teams on the road and Rutgers was awful yet there were 5-7 teams better than us? The big 3 were better than us yes but we were 4-5 best in big ten.

Just because a team may be better doesn’t you mean you don’t deserve it. Did you tell your son he doesn’t deserve to win medals or ribbons because other runners were better but just had a bad race? Or did you tell him he didn’t deserve to run college track because there were other people faster than him that just didn’t do what it takes to get on the track team?
I told my son he was a fool to give up a full ride scholarship to the university of Illinois just so he could follow his girlfriend and run track at SIU. His girlfriend dumped him after she joined a sorority her first week of college. So now rather than being a CPA, he’s a college track coach where his future is totally dependent on his athletes succeeding. And this year wasn’t that great and neither was this weekend where his athletes grossly underperformed. Who gets the blame and gets fired? Look at Coach Keady. Was he a worse coach his last year than the previous ones? Was Coach Tiller a worse coach his last year? Or Jumbo down at Texas A&M? I’d hate to be in a job where your job security is determined by the success of others.

What? Did you even watch the game?
It was a one score game well into the 4th quarter - UM clinched it on the bad OConnell INT, then tacked on some late points.
The game’s outcome was never in doubt! There is a reason you play 4 quarters. Even Hazell’s teams had leads before they ultimately lost in the 4th quarter. And look at painter’s teams and how many leads they lost in the 4th quarter. And look at the NBA and how many of their teams had big leads only to lose! Being up at half time is not the same as winning the game! In the end the only score that counts or matters is the final score !

• Haha
So how many of you went and bought we were the BIG10 Western conference champions t-shirt and actually wear it in public? How many of you proudly wear we finished 6th in the BIG10 tshirt? And how many of you proudly wear a Purdue Bowl game tshirt or a we lost to UConn and finished second tshirt!

Let’s face it, you brag about Purdue on this forum but how many of you brag about Purdue’s football team and their accomplishments in public?

The game’s outcome was never in doubt! There is a reason you play 4 quarters. Even Hazell’s teams had leads before they ultimately lost in the 4th quarter. And look at painter’s teams and how many leads they lost in the 4th quarter. And look at the NBA and how many of their teams had big leads only to lose! Being up at half time is not the same as winning the game! In the end the only score that counts or matters is the final score !
We know you love the cheaters of Mich. You sound like a Wolverine fan most of the time. Just start cheering them. I was at the game and it was competitive going into the 4th quarter. I still thought we had a chance. The UM fans around me were quiet until midway through the 4th quarter. I went to the final 4. I watched the best homegrown team in America play in the final. That you can't see that makes me wonder how you consider yourself a fan.

So how many of you went and bought we were the BIG10 Western conference champions t-shirt and actually wear it in public? How many of you proudly wear we finished 6th in the BIG10 tshirt? And how many of you proudly wear a Purdue Bowl game tshirt or a we lost to UConn and finished second tshirt!

Let’s face it, you brag about Purdue on this forum but how many of you brag about Purdue’s football team and their accomplishments in public?
I buy shirts including football shirts all the time. And I get a lot of Boiler Ups whether we win or lose. No one cares if we finish sixth, Purdue is what defines us. I don’t have any specific game or year shirts except a 2000 rose bowl shirt which has a lot of miles on it. No one shames me. I wear them with pride, ever grateful ever true.

I think you were the only one that “knew” we were losing. You ought to just leave as clearly you are not a Purdue fan. Michigan was worried. There was a sense of uneasiness as everyone went into the halftime with only a 1 point deficit.

Quite obvious why most put this blowhard on “ignore”.
My gosh…

Yes, it was in doubt.
Period.
And Haze (though it doesn’t matter to this discussion) rarely led in the 4th.
Give it a rest…

I told my son he was a fool to give up a full ride scholarship to the university of Illinois just so he could follow his girlfriend and run track at SIU. His girlfriend dumped him after she joined a sorority her first week of college. So now rather than being a CPA, he’s a college track coach where his future is totally dependent on his athletes succeeding. And this year wasn’t that great and neither was this weekend where his athletes grossly underperformed. Who gets the blame and gets fired? Look at Coach Keady. Was he a worse coach his last year than the previous ones? Was Coach Tiller a worse coach his last year? Or Jumbo down at Texas A&M? I’d hate to be in a job where your job security is determined by the success of others.
That’s every leadership job. Including owner of a company. That’s what separates a good leader from a bad one. Tiller gave up on recruiting and Keadys last year was a transitional year and had negative recruiting against him causing outliers.

Great leaders recruit and motivate their teams. They get high performance year over year. They hold their team accountable. I know G-5 track coaches and they have had long successful careers at the same program and live good lives supporting beautiful families. They worked their way up and were given better opportunities.

If your son is not a good leader and coach it probably would not translate well into the real world either. Yeah maybe he could have chosen an education that didn’t require good leadership and been more independent than a management role but as a parent I’m not sure how prideful I would be with a kid who told me he never wanted to rise up in the ranks and wanted to be a worker bee his whole career. I’d rather them tell me they wanted to be the best college coach they can be and help them get there. Maybe it’s encouraging to get a higher degree so they can be a professor and coach like Carson Cunningham did. He may not have made it to a P5 head coaching job but has had a solid career adding university professor and novel writer to his resume.

We know you love the cheaters of Mich. You sound like a Wolverine fan most of the time. Just start cheering them. I was at the game and it was competitive going into the 4th quarter. I still thought we had a chance. The UM fans around me were quiet until midway through the 4th quarter. I went to the final 4. I watched the best homegrown team in America play in the final. That you can't see that makes me wonder how you consider yourself a fan.
There is a difference in being a fan and being a homer! Fans are realistic! Homers always believe their team is going to so . I bet you thought Purdue was going to be competitive in their subsequent bowl game too when most fans were realistic knowing we were going to get blown out.

It’s not that I was rooting for Michigan. I just knew we had no chance of winning and really no business playing in that game. And although I might be I. The minority here and posters here hate me for saying we are not in the same league as Michigan, people who are not Purdue homers would agree with me.

Take your Purdue pride and spirit anywhere outside a 50 radius of West Lafayette and try to tell Purdue was competitive against Michigan and watch their reaction.

Like I said. Football games have 4 quarters and even Hazell had a few leads in the 4th quarter before losing.

As for basketball, it’s not the same as football. So don’t try to compare the two.

Yes, it was in doubt.
Period.
And Haze (though it doesn’t matter to this discussion) rarely led in the 4th.
Give it a rest…
Rarely doesn’t mean never. And I doubt you even looked it up. You just want to have an opposing viewpoint because you don’t want to admit I’m right. When the game was over, who won? Before the game was played, What top 25 team had Purdue beaten? After the game was played, how well did Purdue play in their bowl game? We both know how well they played before and after that game. But nobody really wants to talk about their bowl game performance because we will be labeled as a troll or a Michigan fan. As for resting, that’s what the Purdue football team did. They had a chance and then realized they weren’t supposed to win, so they just laid down And allowed Michigan to win. Or you might say when the going got tough, Michigan got it in gear And like a champion, found a way to win when playing ugly for 3 quarters.

That’s every leadership job. Including owner of a company. That’s what separates a good leader from a bad one. Tiller gave up on recruiting and Keadys last year was a transitional year and had negative recruiting against him causing outliers.

Great leaders recruit and motivate their teams. They get high performance year over year. They hold their team accountable. I know G-5 track coaches and they have had long successful careers at the same program and live good lives supporting beautiful families. They worked their way up and were given better opportunities.

If your son is not a good leader and coach it probably would not translate well into the real world either. Yeah maybe he could have chosen an education that didn’t require good leadership and been more independent than a management role but as a parent I’m not sure how prideful I would be with a kid who told me he never wanted to rise up in the ranks and wanted to be a worker bee his whole career. I’d rather them tell me they wanted to be the best college coach they can be and help them get there. Maybe it’s encouraging to get a higher degree so they can be a professor and coach like Carson Cunningham did. He may not have made it to a P5 head coaching job but has had a solid career adding university professor and novel writer to his resume.
The problem is he is a leader despite what posters here may say. He’s been so successful, he’s had 3 jobs at 3 schools in the last 3 years! He’s already coached an NCAA champion. He’s also received a lot of other coaching offers including head coaching positions. He went from being an athlete at SIU to coaching At Miami (Ohio) then to Ball st and now Ohio st.

I guess I should be proud. But he’s moving every year and on the road half his life.

As for being a leader, you can be a leader and not an athlete! Many CPAs are leaders and do the same job for 30 years. It’s the same with computer programmers and engineers and teachers! I hope you are not trying to tell me a third grade teacher. Who doesn’t become a principal is not a successful leader.

You don’t have to be in charge to be recognized by your peers as being a leader.

My son is very successful at what he does. However, he’s now a coach at OSU. His stay at OSU is very dependent on how well OSU does and how well their athletes perform. Getting 6th place in conference is not an acceptable rank at OSU. You could say the current head coach is on the hot seat to improve the overall team performance. And with all sports, especially at schools like OSU, if the head coach is fired, the vast majority of assistants will be released as well. At the big schools it is not about leadership, it’s about the standings.

As for being a leader and being successful, you don’t have to climb up the corporate ladder to be known as a leader or become famous or successful. And you don’t have to be the head coach at the biggest university to be the best coach.

As for decision making, I allowed my son to choose his own path. He chose coaching over being an accountant. In 4 years after graduating from SIU, he’s a full time assistant coach at OSU, so he must be pretty good. it’s his life!

I am led to wonder what Rick Mount and Parkinson think of their sons. Do they consider them as failures because they were not as good as an athlete as they were? Did they force their sons to be basketball players? Or did they allow their children to live their own lives and pursue their own dreams? That’s what a real leader does. They allow their children to grow up.

Lol bud there's a whole lot of jobs that depend on others for success.

Rarely doesn’t mean never. And I doubt you even looked it up. You just want to have an opposing viewpoint because you don’t want to admit I’m right. When the game was over, who won? Before the game was played, What top 25 team had Purdue beaten? After the game was played, how well did Purdue play in their bowl game? We both know how well they played before and after that game. But nobody really wants to talk about their bowl game performance because we will be labeled as a troll or a Michigan fan. As for resting, that’s what the Purdue football team did. They had a chance and then realized they weren’t supposed to win, so they just laid down And allowed Michigan to win. Or you might say when the going got tough, Michigan got it in gear And like a champion, found a way to win when playing ugly for 3 quarters.
You are not right - as a season ticket holder I don’t need to go look it up. I was there for those seasons. Unlike you.
You are clueless
And you promised to leave this board - then came back to bloviate some more.
Get a clue.

The problem is he is a leader despite what posters here may say. He’s been so successful, he’s had 3 jobs at 3 schools in the last 3 years! He’s already coached an NCAA champion. He’s also received a lot of other coaching offers including head coaching positions. He went from being an athlete at SIU to coaching At Miami (Ohio) then to Ball st and now Ohio st.

I guess I should be proud. But he’s moving every year and on the road half his life.

As for being a leader, you can be a leader and not an athlete! Many CPAs are leaders and do the same job for 30 years. It’s the same with computer programmers and engineers and teachers! I hope you are not trying to tell me a third grade teacher. Who doesn’t become a principal is not a successful leader.

You don’t have to be in charge to be recognized by your peers as being a leader.

My son is very successful at what he does. However, he’s now a coach at OSU. His stay at OSU is very dependent on how well OSU does and how well their athletes perform. Getting 6th place in conference is not an acceptable rank at OSU. You could say the current head coach is on the hot seat to improve the overall team performance. And with all sports, especially at schools like OSU, if the head coach is fired, the vast majority of assistants will be released as well. At the big schools it is not about leadership, it’s about the standings.

As for being a leader and being successful, you don’t have to climb up the corporate ladder to be known as a leader or become famous or successful. And you don’t have to be the head coach at the biggest university to be the best coach.

As for decision making, I allowed my son to choose his own path. He chose coaching over being an accountant. In 4 years after graduating from SIU, he’s a full time assistant coach at OSU, so he must be pretty good. it’s his life!

I am led to wonder what Rick Mount and Parkinson think of their sons. Do they consider them as failures because they were not as good as an athlete as they were? Did they force their sons to be basketball players? Or did they allow their children to live their own lives and pursue their own dreams? That’s what a real leader does. They allow their children to grow up.
I’m not saying you need to be the top to be successful. But the success of anyone in a leadership position like your son will be measured on performance.

I’m sure Bruce and Rick are proud of all their sons. Bruce’s other son didn’t play i don’t think but I’m sure he loves him and is proud of him. Austin is very successful coach and now a big east head woman’s coach and frankly maybe should have been given the purdues women coaching job.

That’s good you let him do his thing but you did say you told him he was a fool for doing it, that doesn’t seem like encouragement. But it sounds like he’s successful and enjoys his job so who are we all to judge?

This not a true statement until proven on the field.
I mean it's absolutely a true statement. You can have more talent and have a worse W/L record. You can have worse talent and have a better W/L record.

Job security is almost always dependent on others. If you own a business or whatever, your success is many times tied to the help and commitment of others on your team.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
There is a difference in being a fan and being a homer! Fans are realistic! Homers always believe their team is going to so . I bet you thought Purdue was going to be competitive in their subsequent bowl game too when most fans were realistic knowing we were going to get blown out.

It’s not that I was rooting for Michigan. I just knew we had no chance of winning and really no business playing in that game. And although I might be I. The minority here and posters here hate me for saying we are not in the same league as Michigan, people who are not Purdue homers would agree with me.

Take your Purdue pride and spirit anywhere outside a 50 radius of West Lafayette and try to tell Purdue was competitive against Michigan and watch their reaction.

Like I said. Football games have 4 quarters and even Hazell had a few leads in the 4th quarter before losing.

As for basketball, it’s not the same as football. So don’t try to compare the two.
No, I thought we were going to get blown out in the bowl game. We didn't have our coach, our starting quarterback, our starting tight end, our All Big Ten receiver. In the BT championship we had them all and we gave UM all they could handle for 3/4ths of the game. You KNEW we had NO chance of winning? YOU are the FOOL, NOT your son. I went to the game Nov. 6, 1976. The year I graduated from Purdue. It was cold as hell and my future brother in law and I were freezing our asses off and drinking Ron Rico 151(yes we were nuts) at the game. UM was 8-0 and ranked #1 in the country. We were 28 point underdogs. Scott Dierking rushed for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns. The good guys prevailed 16-14. There were only a handful of fans at that game and I think we were all lit by the end. So there is always a chance, even against the cheaters from Ann Arbor.

Last edited:
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing they have an accounting major at SIU. He chose to be a college track coach. If his track teams continue to do poorly, he might choose to become a CPA again.

No, I thought we were going to get blown out in the bowl game. We didn't have our coach, our starting quarterback, our starting tight end, our All Big Ten receiver. In the BT championship we had them all and we gave UM all they could handle for 3/4ths of the game. You KNEW we had NO chance of winning? YOU are the FOOL, NOT your son. I went to the game Nov. 6, 1976. The year I graduated from Purdue. It was cold as hell and my future brother in law and I were freezing our asses off and drinking Ron Rico 151(yes we were nuts) at the game. UM was 8-0 and ranked #1 in the country. We were 28 point underdogs. Scott Dierking rushed for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns. The good guys prevailed 16-14. There were only a handful of fans at that game and I think we were all lit by the end. So there is always a chance, even against the cheaters from Ann Arbor.
That’s my second favorite Purdue football game of all time. What a great memory.

I was a freshman at that game and rushed the field afterwards. One of the few times I have seen the students do so until recent years.
Were you running down the field with me? 🙂

I was a freshman at that game and rushed the field afterwards. One of the few times I have seen the students do so until recent years.
I was staggering down the field with you! Too much Ron Rico by that time. It was an insane moment! At least as much as I can recall. 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue80
The talent level is improved but obviously nowhere near the top of the conference. We're always going to have the same guys here talking about how it's good enough to be playing on NYD but the coach sucks.

We don't talk enough about Card. I flipflopped all over the place on him last year. Thought he was good, thought he stunk, then good again. He won us a couple games late, that's for sure, and we'd have beaten Northwestern had he played. He will have a better o line and more legitimate WRs on the outside, along with good TEs. Looking at the QBs around the conference, I think he has the ability to be a top 3 QB in the B1G. If he takes a step and does that, we will go over 4.5. I'm leaning that way.

Basing Hudson Card’s talent and ability on last year’s play is not an accurate picture. It is well documented about the OL depth issues we had last year. And our receivers were not able to get the separation that was needed. I understand that every team has issues once the season start. But these were big issues that Card had to overcome.

Rewatching the Syracuse and Wisconsin game, our line was not holding up and Card was getting into fumbling issues because he kept getting blindsided. If Caleb Williams was behind our line and with our WRs last year, I do not think he would have faired much better.

G Harrell has said that Card is the best QB talent he has coached so far in his career. Pretty bold statement since Harrell had Slovis and Jackson Dart in his previous coaching stops.

The OL depth has been addressed and our OL is bigger. We have addressed quality and depth in our WR room. Our TE quality and depth looks good. I think Card will get a fair shot to showcase his abilities this year. And because of this I expect our team exceed expections.

I was at the game too. 12K fans didn't show so we moved to seats that were lower on the 30 yd line. As w/ all upsets we had some luck too. A Leach to a wide open Smith play action pass was dropped w/ nobody near him and a missed FG at the end of the game

Reactions: Purdue80 and z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT