ADVERTISEMENT

Will we finally see CRW defense at Purdue in 2024?

Dec 14, 2023
In 2023, we saw a glimpse of what a CRW defense could be.
Nic and KJ terrorizing the opposing QBs
Dillon T being a ball hawk at Free Safety.
But we did not have the right personnel to execute this defense. OC Brothers was not able to lock down the ILB position and our DBs were only as strong as our weakest link.

In 2024, a strong DB room is much deeper. We have speed. Last year, the fastest players on the team was #1 Dieon Burks, #2 Dillon T.
This Spring the fastest players on the team is #1 Nyland Green, #2 Breedlove, #3 CJ Smith #4 Dillon T.

Side note: Sam Webb from Wolverine radio said Michigan’s Defensive Back recruiting strategy is to see who CRW is recruiting and try to flip them. Last year, they flipped Jo Edmonds. Year before they flipped an Illini commit. This year they tried hard to flip T Grant. Grant is with us now.

Feeling good that Dillon T is our safety. I would not be surprised if our other safety is one of the incoming freshmen K Beasley or Luke Williams.

Feeling good that we have KJ as our ILB. And Yanni has another year experience playing ILB in this defense.

We have more size in DL. It was an interesting take when CRW thought J Harkless can develop into J Newton type player. Quite a comparison.

As for OLB, a lot of unknowns but a lot of potential. Hard to replace Nic and KJ. But can CRW develop the OLBs we have to reproduce the results? Optimistic that W Heldt will have a big year. Opposite him, Will CJ Madden, Shitah, Ojata make the jump?

Last year our weakness was our DBs and ILB. I think CRW has addressed those positions.

What defensive position group do you feel good about? What position group concerns you? Will we finally see the CRW defense this year?

The DL is a weakness. the NTs are fine but the rest of them are not good enough. M'Ba, Anderson, Lewis, these are just guys. maybe Dinkins can step up.

Reactions: cillerdo
In 2023, we saw a glimpse of what a CRW defense could be.
Nic and KJ terrorizing the opposing QBs
Dillon T being a ball hawk at Free Safety.
But we did not have the right personnel to execute this defense. OC Brothers was not able to lock down the ILB position and our DBs were only as strong as our weakest link.

In 2024, a strong DB room is much deeper. We have speed. Last year, the fastest players on the team was #1 Dieon Burks, #2 Dillon T.
This Spring the fastest players on the team is #1 Nyland Green, #2 Breedlove, #3 CJ Smith #4 Dillon T.

Side note: Sam Webb from Wolverine radio said Michigan’s Defensive Back recruiting strategy is to see who CRW is recruiting and try to flip them. Last year, they flipped Jo Edmonds. Year before they flipped an Illini commit. This year they tried hard to flip T Grant. Grant is with us now.

Feeling good that Dillon T is our safety. I would not be surprised if our other safety is one of the incoming freshmen K Beasley or Luke Williams.

Feeling good that we have KJ as our ILB. And Yanni has another year experience playing ILB in this defense.

We have more size in DL. It was an interesting take when CRW thought J Harkless can develop into J Newton type player. Quite a comparison.

As for OLB, a lot of unknowns but a lot of potential. Hard to replace Nic and KJ. But can CRW develop the OLBs we have to reproduce the results? Optimistic that W Heldt will have a big year. Opposite him, Will CJ Madden, Shitah, Ojata make the jump?

Last year our weakness was our DBs and ILB. I think CRW has addressed those positions.

What defensive position group do you feel good about? What position group concerns you? Will we finally see the CRW defense this year?
The line is very unremarkable. What fixes that is cash. If Purdue had Kawann short last year he probably wouldn’t be back this year for under a million. And when Walters goes, until this is fixed, it won’t be any different.

The DL is a weakness. the NTs are fine but the rest of them are not good enough. M'Ba, Anderson, Lewis, these are just guys. maybe Dinkins can step up.
Agree that there are question marks for the DL. On paper M’Ba has the size and speed to be an elite DL. However in interviews with Coach Haley and Coach Kane, they keep saying M’Ba is a work in progress. The little I saw of M’Ba last year, I thought he was ok. A couple roughing the passer and late hits because he could not control his size momentum.

What are the things that M’Ba need to work on to take the next step?

CRW wants the DL to be run stuffers. I would like to see our DLs to buff up this summer and throw the opposing linemen around.
Dinkins is an unknown.

Will be curious to see how coach Haley develops our DLs this summer.

The line is very unremarkable. What fixes that is cash. If Purdue had Kawann short last year he probably wouldn’t be back this year for under a million. And when Walters goes, until this is fixed, it won’t be any different.

We will never going be a plug and play school. Our coaches will need to develop our talent.
In a short period of time our coaches were able to develop players like Dillon T.

CRW has done a lot to move the needle on cash. We would not have the four UGA transfers on campus without CRW’s effort with the collective.

I think Bobinski knew it will take time for CRW to get going. Last year, CRW gets a mulligan because of how long it took for Bobinski to hire CRW. CRW was hired at the tail end of the winter transfer window. I think Bobinski will be patient with CRW.

Why even play the games then? lol.

Spending money on a guy doesn’t mean he’s good. I’d agree that DL is a weakness but it’s not simply solved by throwing money at a guy. Part of its scheme. Part of it is development. Part of its coaching.

Reactions: Bippus33
We will never going be a plug and play school. Our coaches will need to develop our talent.
In a short period of time our coaches were able to develop players like Dillon T.

CRW has done a lot to move the needle on cash. We would not have the four UGA transfers on campus without CRW’s effort with the collective.

I think Bobinski knew it will take time for CRW to get going. Last year, CRW gets a mulligan because of how long it took for Bobinski to hire CRW. CRW was hired at the tail end of the winter transfer window. I think Bobinski will be patient with CRW.
Yes, but when you develop a player into your best defender and the big ten sack leader and said player is bought before you see his best, that’s not the same as Joe tiller or Danny hope running a developmental program.

Why even play the games then? lol.

Spending money on a guy doesn’t mean he’s good. I’d agree that DL is a weakness but it’s not simply solved by throwing money at a guy. Part of its scheme. Part of it is development. Part of its coaching.

I agree with your question. This system sucks. Not just for Walters but anyone else who coaches here and not just for Purdue but all the other schools like Purdue. Something needs to change. When it does and when we aren’t in a scenario where Drew Brees can just be purchased before his senior season, I’ll go back to expecting things from Purdue coaches.

To be clear, were brohm still here, I’d expect ABSOLUTELY NOT A DAMNED THING from him. If George Karlaftis had gone into his junior year under brohm in these conditions, with no family connections to Purdue, Purdue would have been told they best be having his 1.5-2 million or else.

If Thienemann’s name was Tom Williams and he was the son of two Miami of Ohio grads, Purdue would have had him bought away too. He’d have been worth a million. This is ruining college football.

Imagine the 03 Purdue season except Shaun Phillips was bought by Georgia and Stu Schweigert by Michigan.

Reactions: Bippus33
I agree with your question. This system sucks. Not just for Walters but anyone else who coaches here and not just for Purdue but all the other schools like Purdue. Something needs to change. When it does and when we aren’t in a scenario where Drew Brees can just be purchased before his senior season, I’ll go back to expecting things from Purdue coaches.

To be clear, were brohm still here, I’d expect ABSOLUTELY NOT A DAMNED THING from him. If George Karlaftis had gone into his junior year under brohm in these conditions, with no family connections to Purdue, Purdue would have been told they best be having his 1.5-2 million or else.

If Thienemann’s name was Tom Williams and he was the son of two Miami of Ohio grads, Purdue would have had him bought away too. He’d have been worth a million. This is ruining college football.

Imagine the 03 Purdue season except Shaun Phillips was bought by Georgia and Stu Schweigert by Michigan.
You are right. And that REALLY sucks. I suppose some schools could build rosters of legacy players, Purdue has had the talent but unfortunately not where it would line up for 80 kids a class for 4 years.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

pretty much the same sentiments from Jimbo Fisher in his recent On3 article where he said the developmental type teams are just glorified JC schools for the teams that have the $$$. He men tioned Mahomes at Texas Tech for example and said " you think he would have been there for all 4 yrs under this system?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT