ADVERTISEMENT

Why did we call time out....

He has been here 10 years, understand it. We don't handle pressure well and we often struggle to in-bound the ball let along make a play off an in-bound. This is broken record.

The best play would have been to give it to Carsen and go while they were celebrating. To call a time out and that’s what we draw up... I’ll never understand CMP.

Hindsight he wouldn't have. Hopefully from now on in this situation they practice getting the ball to Carsen and letting him do his thing without taking a time out. The time out let FSU get their D set and it was over.

The best play would have been to give it to Carsen and go while they were celebrating. To call a time out and that’s what we draw up... I’ll never understand CMP.
Agree....that was a head scratcher......gave them time to set up their 'D"......kick in the gut game to watch.....felt like I was watching the Cincinnati game all over again...

I'm a Painter supporter-but given our history in these games it seems our coaching staff freezes up in certain situations. If CMP calls a timeout (which he did) he has to expect a double on the all american. Need an additional or 2 ball handlers in there with only 5 seconds left. You have to give Nojel or Hunter the ball as an option B and to not even get a shot is frustrating.

What about against Butler last year when Dakota hit the shot to win the game? Was that a good one or should we not count that?

Reactions: Inspector100
What about against Butler last year when Dakota hit the shot to win the game? Was that a good one or should we not count that?

Sure, that was good, but the still winnable (even without Haas) Texas Tech game after it was not. Cincinnati, Little Rock, Ohio State last year, @MSU last year...the Mathias shot tends to be the exception not the rule. I think that's why there's so much frustration among Purdue fans. We've seen it so many times.

It's like this year in football. Yes, that win over OSU was amazing. Doesn't take the sting out of the MSU, Wisconsin, and Minnesota losses at all.

Hindsight he wouldn't have. Hopefully from now on in this situation they practice getting the ball to Carsen and letting him do his thing without taking a time out. The time out let FSU get their D set and it was over.
Hindsight.... really. He's been the coach for 14 years. He should know by now that was a terrible decision. He only let FSU set up. That could have been an easy run out for Purdue if you watch the replay. I said as soon as I saw us call the TO the game was over. CMP does not have a great record of scoring off in-bounds plays after a timeout.

Reactions: pboiler18
Hindsight.... really. He's been the coach for 14 years. He should know by now that was a terrible decision. He only let FSU set up. That could have been an easy run out for Purdue if you watch the replay. I said as soon as I saw us call the TO the game was over. CMP does not have a great record of scoring off in-bounds plays after a timeout.

I agree Painter screwed up. What I'm saying is going forward they need to practice this situation and have Carsen get the inbound immediately if a team takes the lead in the closing seconds.

It's on Painter he called TO, allowed FSU to set up their press, and did not have his team prepared for that situation after the scenario of an FSU make. I will take Carsen with an open court speed dribble against a scrambling D 100% of the time with 5 seconds to go.

Or to call time out after we cleared half court

That’s what I was hoping we’d do. I knew immediately we don’t have many great set plays from full court so that’s when I knew it was over.

Probably yes, not calling timeout would have been the right move. However, if we went that route and still lost from either a missed shot or another turnover (those were very common last night) many folks would be having the same complaint: Painter made the wrong call.

Cline should not be the new Mathias (default in bound passer). Dakota could actually pass the ball. Cline is the worst Division 1 passer I have ever seen. Lob it up in the direction of a teammate and hope it gets there. I don’t know the stats, but I bet a large amount of points off turnovers come from his across the court lazy passes.

I usually hate these threads after a game but the bitching is warranted. We were statistically 92% favored to win that game up 8 under 3 minutes.

Baffling how we could barely get a shot off in that time frame. That's 100% coaching. I have no clue why Painter called a TO. Especially when FSU thought it had already won the game!

I usually hate these threads after a game but the bitching is warranted. We were statistically 92% favored to win that game up 8 under 3 minutes.

Baffling how we could barely get a shot off in that time frame. That's 100% coaching. I have no clue why Painter called a TO. Especially when FSU thought it had already won the game!
Had you looked at that statistic at half time, the % would have favored FSU. That is not a useful tool when it comes to analyzing the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT