ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be commit 6?

Not ridiculous. Just the facts, ma'am.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/recruiting-battles-northwestern-vs-purdue

You can wish it to be not the case, but Kirtz committing to NU over Purdue is the norm. And if Hunter picks NU, it will be par for the course. If he picks Purdue, which I admit could be a real possibility, it really would be the exception.

I would point out that most of these head to heads are prior to the Brohm era, but it doesn't seem like Brohm is turning things around on the NU vs. Purdue head to head recruiting pattern quite yet.

I like the fact we are going head to head with Northwestern regardless of the results. in the hazell years, we were going head to head with football powerhouses middle tenn st and Central Michigan and Marshall, and ball St and Toledo and Yale and still LOSING !

Reactions: Inspector100

You can wish it to be not the case, but Kirtz committing to NU over Purdue is the norm. And if Hunter picks NU, it will be par for the course. If he picks Purdue, which I admit could be a real possibility, it really would be the exception.

I would point out that most of these head to heads are prior to the Brohm era, but it doesn't seem like Brohm is turning things around on the NU vs. Purdue head to head recruiting pattern quite yet. Another caveat is that none of these players were QBs, so perhaps, there is something about this "QB University" ethos to Purdue and the "magic hand of Jeff Brohm" that will have Hunter defy the very one-sided pattern here and have him pick Purdue over NU. But, I'm guessing not.
That list is ridiculous. Nearly all of the players on the list were only offered by Purdue, and Purdue was never in the picture. Not what I would call a recruiting battle.

That list is ridiculous. Nearly all of the players on the list were only offered by Purdue, and Purdue was never in the picture. Not what I would call a recruiting battle.

I couldn't agree more. But, that was kind of my point.

Just as a frame of reference, just one player on your roster last year was offered by Northwestern. Vs. 17 on ours who had Purdue offers. What does that tell you?

FWIW, it could be worse. You could be Illinois.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/cats-dominating-illinois-on-field-in-recruiting

Last edited:
I like the fact we are going head to head with Northwestern regardless of the results. in the hazell years, we were going head to head with football powerhouses middle tenn st and Central Michigan and Marshall, and ball St and Toledo and Yale and still LOSING !

Now, there's the spirit! Truth be told, it's pretty obvious that Brohm is upgrading the recruiting quite substantially. I suspect that the pattern I've laid out here probably won't be nearly as one sided as it has been moving forward. Hoping that doesn't start with Johnson.

I would point out that most of these head to heads are prior to the Brohm era, but it doesn't seem like Brohm is turning things around on the NU vs. Purdue head to head recruiting pattern quite yet. Another caveat is that none of these players were QBs, so perhaps, there is something about this "QB University" ethos to Purdue and the "magic hand of Jeff Brohm" that will have Hunter defy the very one-sided pattern here and have him pick Purdue over NU. But, I'm guessing not.

I don't get this. Purdue is in the hunt for three 4 star WRs. They already got a commit from a 4 star in Rice this year and a 4 star last year. Not to mention Anderson who is similar size/speed/rank as Kirtz. Meanwhile, there is zero competition for him at Northwestern.

Kirtz should prove to be the exception because that position is saturated.

As for QB, neither Northwestern or Purdue has anything on their roster with the star power as Johnson. The difference is that Purdue has a former professional QB and two former high level collegiate players that will be coaching the QB in a pro style offense surrounded with weapons. Not to mention, Purdue has a very rich history of quarterbacks that isn't matched by many other schools.

There won't be a lot of head to head matchups and Purdue bounced themselves out of the Kirtz race with the taking of Rice and Anderson/Moore last year. That wasn't exactly an even playing field. Northwestern got a dang good player, but Purdue didn't lose because Northwestern was better, Purdue lost because WR was such a big position of need and they have been recruiting WRs very well.

If Purdue manages another bowl win with one of the hardest schedules in the league, that would be very impressive. Once this 2019 class gets in and the players make an immediate impact, it will elevate the talent level and 10 wins becomes a real possibility, especially if they land Johnson. Purdue will need to replace some play makers on defense, but they look like they have addressed some in this '19 class already.

The days of Purdue being at the bottom of the Big Ten are gone. The schedule Purdue has sets them up for a tough year, but prepares the young guys for the future.

I would say Purdue will start to gain the upper hand in going up against other Big Ten schools as the Ws come in. People will look back at the 18 and 19 classes and say "this is when it all changed". The 18 class was the best Purdue had in a long time and this 19 class shows significantly better, at least early.

You're an absolute troll.

If you think NU out-recruiting Purdue is "the norm", you are delusional.

I don't get this. Purdue is in the hunt for three 4 star WRs. They already got a commit from a 4 star in Rice this year and a 4 star last year. Not to mention Anderson who is similar size/speed/rank as Kirtz. Meanwhile, there is zero competition for him at Northwestern.

Kirtz should prove to be the exception because that position is saturated.

As for QB, neither Northwestern or Purdue has anything on their roster with the star power as Johnson. The difference is that Purdue has a former professional QB and two former high level collegiate players that will be coaching the QB in a pro style offense surrounded with weapons. Not to mention, Purdue has a very rich history of quarterbacks that isn't matched by many other schools.

There won't be a lot of head to head matchups and Purdue bounced themselves out of the Kirtz race with the taking of Rice and Anderson/Moore last year. That wasn't exactly an even playing field. Northwestern got a dang good player, but Purdue didn't lose because Northwestern was better, Purdue lost because WR was such a big position of need and they have been recruiting WRs very well.

If Purdue manages another bowl win with one of the hardest schedules in the league, that would be very impressive. Once this 2019 class gets in and the players make an immediate impact, it will elevate the talent level and 10 wins becomes a real possibility, especially if they land Johnson. Purdue will need to replace some play makers on defense, but they look like they have addressed some in this '19 class already.

The days of Purdue being at the bottom of the Big Ten are gone. The schedule Purdue has sets them up for a tough year, but prepares the young guys for the future.

I would say Purdue will start to gain the upper hand in going up against other Big Ten schools as the Ws come in. People will look back at the 18 and 19 classes and say "this is when it all changed". The 18 class was the best Purdue had in a long time and this 19 class shows significantly better, at least early.

stop using facts, logic, and common sense. Trolls don't communicate in that manner.

Reactions: ejs1111

LOL! You post an article from your fan sight, the bulk of which I cannot read because I don't have access, and the only part I can see says they base their conclusions on 18 players? That is your big proof? You do understand that both our programs offer far more players than they ever take right? Maybe 50 or a hundred every year? Maybe more? Both of our programs probably recruit a ton of the same kids that go to other schools as well. I am not even going to waste the energy to look back over the many years to see if I could even find the data, which I probably couldn't because unless it's this year we can probably only find who committed to which program and not the full lists of every single player over the years who was recruited by both schools. You also should understand that there are varying degrees of recruitment. Unless you are part of the coaching staff you wouldn't even begin to know who your program is really putting its full effort on and who might have just gotten an offer then not as much attention after that. Again, this argument is an absolute waste of time.

Ultimately recruiting is supposed to lead to successes on the field so lets take a look at how the two programs have stacked up on the field over the years.

Seasons
Purdue 126
NW 124

W-L-T
Purdue 597-556-48
NW 527-654-40

Conf. Championships
Purdue 8
NW 8

Bowl Records
Purdue 18 Bowls, 10-8, .529 W-L% (Major Bowls)
NW 14 Bowls, 4-10, .231 W-L% (Major Bowls)

Ranked AP Poll
Purdue 15 Times (Preseason), 17 (Final), 237 Weeks (Total)
NW 7 Times (Preseason), 11 (Final), 175 Weeks (Total)

No, sir, you are delusional. Just like with Kirtz. Look at the link I posted and you'll understand that I only deal with facts.
With as bad as our program has been in recent years under the previous two coaches, I find it funny how obsessed you seem to be with comparing your program to ours. Maybe you just feel your team is threatened a little now that Purdue is on the rise. I have no idea and really don't care. That is why I am on a Purdue fan forum chatting with fellow fans about our team and I am not jumping over to the NW forum to troll a fan base that I care very little about. That is just me though.

You are beyond lame. You’re really citing head-to-head recruiting battles when Purdue had its worst 4-year stretch in its history? EVERY POWER 5 team outrecruited Hazell. We were lucky to beat out MAC schools for commitments. Like I mentioned before, look at our top 3 commitments this year. All of them are better than your top commit (Kirtz). NW didn’t offer them but I’m guessing it’s because they didn’t have a chance? Our average star ranking is higher than yours and we will win head to head battles against you. Comparing the offers during the Hazell era to NW is beyond laughable.

I couldn't agree more. But, that was kind of my point.

Just as a frame of reference, just one player on your roster last year was offered by Northwestern. Vs. 17 on ours who had Purdue offers. What does that tell you?

FWIW, it could be worse. You could be Illinois.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/cats-dominating-illinois-on-field-in-recruiting

It tells you that Darrell Hazell was terrible and couldn’t recruit to save his skin. Pretty simple. Just look at the players we’ve gotten this year to the Hazell era. Night and day different.

Yes we have acknowledged that your few good years have coincided with our worst ever. That's not going to disappear in 1 year.
I guess when your team was dog shit for 80 years, you take what you can get.

Yes we have acknowledged that your few good years have coincided with our worst ever. That's not going to disappear in 1 year.

giphy.gif

Actually NU hasn’t been dogshit for the last 25 years. NU was real dogshit for the 25 years before that. Who cares? It’s like gloating over our Wins on the field and in recruiting against Hazell. Both are irrelevant to today.

I come here to get the pulse on what is the latest with Hunter Johnson. You guys are pretty plugged in. I believe this will come to either NU or Purdue. I don’t think it is a no brainer as some have implied. It wouldn’t surprise me which one he choose.

Purdue is the school I root for in the B1G in every game besides the NU game. Especially against Illinois. They are certainly on the upswing and it’s good for the conference. CJB has done a great job so far.

As many of you pointed out, Purdue is fine at WR and maybe that has something to do with a Kirtz choosing NU. However, the same situation applies to QB position where Purdue has a nice stable of returning QB’s and NU has no experience behind Clayton Thorson. I have no idea what Hunter will do, and I do expect Purdue to have a higher rated 2019 class than NU. That is typical for NU, but we have gotten good players despite the ratings. I doubt that will have any impact on who Hunter chooses.

Going on opposition forums and blasting them or gloating is stupid. It’s your board not NU’s. Purdue is a good school with passionate fans that has a program on the upswing. You are going to be fine with or without Hunter. I believe NU will be fine too, but we have a bigger need than Purdue does at the QB position . Hunter is a stud and wherever he goes it will be a big boost to the program. Icoujd see rationale both ways and I really don’t think this is a no brainer.

Actually NU hasn’t been dogshit for the last 25 years. NU was real dogshit for the 25 years before that. Who cares? It’s like gloating over our Wins on the field and in recruiting against Hazell. Both are irrelevant to today.

I come here to get the pulse on what is the latest with Hunter Johnson. You guys are pretty plugged in. I believe this will come to either NU or Purdue. I don’t think it is a no brainer as some have implied. It wouldn’t surprise me which one he choose.

Purdue is the school I root for in the B1G in every game besides the NU game. Especially against Illinois. They are certainly on the upswing and it’s good for the conference. CJB has done a great job so far.

As many of you pointed out, Purdue is fine at WR and maybe that has something to do with a Kirtz choosing NU. However, the same situation applies to QB position where Purdue has a nice stable of returning QB’s and NU has no experience behind Clayton Thorson. I have no idea what Hunter will do, and I do expect Purdue to have a higher rated 2019 class than NU. That is typical for NU, but we have gotten good players despite the ratings. I doubt that will have any impact on who Hunter chooses.

Going on opposition forums and blasting them or gloating is stupid. It’s your board not NU’s. Purdue is a good school with passionate fans that has a program on the upswing. You are going to be fine with or without Hunter. I believe NU will be fine too, but we have a bigger need than Purdue does at the QB position . Hunter is a stud and wherever he goes it will be a big boost to the program. Icoujd see rationale both ways and I really don’t think this is a no brainer.

This, this guy. I like this guy.

Reactions: Purdue85
I've been told that Hunter met with Jeff & Brian Brohm on 5/25 at Football Complex-either his dad or former HS coach( possibly John Hart) was with him and that he mentioned that he was visiting NW on Monday or Tues of last week.

BTW; All-Time PU vs NW record P-50 WINS NW-31 WINS 1-TIE

He apparently is focused on 1-day unofficial visits. Was approached by ND and Duke last week as well but not certain if he visited yet?

Brownsburg HS coaching staff has spent a lot of time at clinics/camps with PU staff since Brohm arrived but evidently it didn't help with Kirtz commitment?
No on ND or Duke! I don’t want to face him 2-3 years if you snag him, but hell no to ND or Duke.

We got no beef. Just come collect your mans.

Cannot wait to settle this with them on the field on August. See what he says when Purdue wins this game. I will say that will stop his posts.

Reactions: Purdue11
Cannot wait to settle this with them on the field on August. See what he says when Purdue wins this game. I will say that will stop his posts.
Nope, when Hunter commits that will stop my posts. Not here to troll. I might return if we are in another Hunter like battle, but it won’t be to discuss either a Purdue or NU win. Frankly, I consider landing Hunter more important to both teams than the opening game of 2018.

NU’s summer quarter starts on June 25th. It would make sense for him to enroll by then if he intends to transfer to Northwestern.

Where ever he goes he is gonna have to make a decision very soon. I feel like we will hear something in the next week if not two. I can't imagine him taking any longer than that.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT