ADVERTISEMENT

Who signs with Purdue this fall?

I will venture a guess; we get commitments from Haralson or Williams-Adams, Singleton and West.
I have a feeling Sisley goes elsewhere and Mullins goes to UConn.

Sisley & West will be Boilers.
Singleton or Sisley and West seem like the safest bets,i..e. most likely outcomes. My guess is that Singleton ends up in Louisville, but I’d happily take either him or Sisley.

Has he really gotten under your skin? I agree that a lot of what he posts is nonsensical, but I generally find him pretty entertaining and that he sometimes lands on a valid point.
Haha no not at all. I just thought it’d be funny to say …I thought I had added the 😂 but apparently not 😂

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
Just saw a post on UConn site that says Mullins is down to 3 schools. They listed them in order of likelihood as 1. IU, 2. KY and 3. UConn. They mentioned he wants to play closer to home which puts them 3rd. It mentioned possible uneasiness with coaching staff at IU as a concern. I’d rather see him go to KY or UConn.

Reactions: Schnelk
Just saw a post on UConn site that says Mullins is down to 3 schools. They listed them in order of likelihood as 1. IU, 2. KY and 3. UConn. They mentioned he wants to play closer to home which puts them 3rd. It mentioned possible uneasiness with coaching staff at IU as a concern. I’d rather see him go to KY or UConn.
Can you link that post or is it just a message board post?

Thoughts on this if this post is correct…

TLDR:

IU- close to home, prob big $$$, BUT uncertainty in staff and may not win much

UK-closeish to home, prob big $$&, but unproven staff (so far) and uncertain if they will win games/buck the trend of getting bounced in first weekend the last 4 years

UConn - staff proven record of winning a lot, developing guys, putting guys in the league, BUT longest distance from home

More detailed thoughts:

IU is his first choice, as its closest to
Home and prob willing to offer the most $$&, but family nervous about the uncertainty of coaching staff being there next year. That staff hasn’t proven they can put together an offense/defense that wins many games without a player like TJD…and they haven’t proven they can be successful through the portal (I assume that changes this year).Next year, they lose half their team at least, so another rebuild of the roster (will be common throughout college ball I suppose). The staff has also sent 3 guys to the league. TJD had to really work hard his 4 years to develop, JHS wasn’t really developed, can’t consistently shoot but had his showcase games against us (he can thank the Purdue staff for being drafted 😂 A JOKE), and Ware was already thought of as a lotto pick outta high school, so not sure a ton of development happened there.

UK - guessing family is uncertain if Pope and staff can bring UK back to where they were. Seems to be decent recruiters and they just got Moreno (Mullins aau teammate) and jasper johnson (a top recruit). Not sure if jasper will impact Mullins, as they both play the 2 but maybe Mullins slides to the 3. UK will also lose a lot of their roster like IU next year. Pope and staff haven’t put guys through to the next level, but maybe they will now with the level of talent he can get now (putting that out there as that may play a factor in the decision).

UConn - arguably best coaching staff in the county, b2b NCs, and track record of getting guys drafted. Mullins has said hurleys plan would be to have him only there for 9 months so he gets to the next level.

I would go to UConn (I guess I’m biased on this one).

TLDR:

UK-closeish to home, prob big $$&, but unproven staff (so far) and uncertain if they will win games/buck the trend of getting bounced in first weekend the last 4 years

UConn - staff proven record of winning a lot, developing guys, putting guys in the league, BUT longest distance from home

More detailed thoughts:

Home and prob willing to offer the most $$&, but family nervous about the uncertainty of coaching staff being there next year. That staff hasn’t proven they can put together an offense/defense that wins many games without a player like TJD…and they haven’t proven they can be successful through the portal (I assume that changes this year).Next year, they lose half their team at least, so another rebuild of the roster (will be common throughout college ball I suppose). The staff has also sent 3 guys to the league. TJD had to really work hard his 4 years to develop, JHS wasn’t really developed, can’t consistently shoot but had his showcase games against us (he can thank the Purdue staff for being drafted 😂 A JOKE), and Ware was already thought of as a lotto pick outta high school, so not sure a ton of development happened there.

UK - guessing family is uncertain if Pope and staff can bring UK back to where they were. Seems to be decent recruiters and they just got Moreno (Mullins aau teammate) and jasper johnson (a top recruit). Not sure if jasper will impact Mullins, as they both play the 2 but maybe Mullins slides to the 3. UK will also lose a lot of their roster like IU next year. Pope and staff haven’t put guys through to the next level, but maybe they will now with the level of talent he can get now (putting that out there as that may play a factor in the decision).

UConn - arguably best coaching staff in the county, b2b NCs, and track record of getting guys drafted. Mullins has said hurleys plan would be to have him only there for 9 months so he gets to the next level.

Your post is excellent. A few nits to pick? JHS absolutely did develop at IU - his shot got better and his defense got worlds better. He also has the most of the month of January to thank for his national profile prior to that Purdue game. He had back issues early in the season but after winter break he was healthy and regularly really good. Ware? Damn straight he developed at IU! He was a five star bust at Oregon with a terrible motor. Woody got him to play hard and play into a top 20 pick. However ...I would think that Ware has almost zero to do with Mullins' game or calculation.

Hurley is currently running the top program in the nation and would be an extraordinary option for any kid, but especially one from the east coast. If you're familiar with the location of Storrs, Connecticut, it would be far easier for Mullins and his friends and family to get back and forth to UCLA than to UConn. Storrs is a long way to any major airport, and even farther to a non-stop flight to Indianapolis.

UK just signed a five star two guard.

I believe it's gonna be IU. IU is going to have a very good season and Mullins' primary recruiter Brian Walsh may be the head coach in waiting. IU's NIL for Mullins won't be surpassed; it may not be more than UK's, but IU can guarantee to beat any other school by a few bucks. And with Galloway, Leal, and potentially one or both of Rice and Carlyle gone after this year, there is plenty of opportunity to be an early rotation player at IU.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

TLDR:

More detailed thoughts:

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Your post is excellent. A few nits to pick? JHS absolutely did develop at IU - his shot got better and his defense got worlds better. He also has the most of the month of January to thank for his national profile prior to that Purdue game. He had back issues early in the season but after winter break he was healthy and regularly really good. Ware? Damn straight he developed at IU! He was a five star bust at Oregon with a terrible motor. Woody got him to play hard and play into a top 20 pick. However ...I would think that Ware has almost zero to do with Mullins' game or calculation.

Hurley is currently running the top program in the nation and would be an extraordinary option for any kid, but especially one from the east coast. If you're familiar with the location of Storrs, Connecticut, it would be far easier for Mullins and his friends and family to get back and forth to UCLA than to UConn. Storrs is a long way to any major airport, and even farther to a non-stop flight to Indianapolis.

I believe it's gonna be IU. IU is going to have a very good season and Mullins' primary recruiter Brian Walsh may be the head coach in waiting. IU's NIL for Mullins won't be surpassed; it may not be more than UK's, but IU can guarantee to beat any other school by a few bucks. And with Galloway, Leal, and potentially one or both of Rice and Carlyle gone after this year, there is plenty of opportunity to be an early rotation player at IU.
JHS wasn’t even going to play as much, or even start until X broke his foot. He developed a bit, but often was inconsistent with his shot (which still shows) and didn’t show up at times when needed. Ware would have developed almost anywhere and I don’t think it was solely because of Woodson and I’m not sold he’s all that good…against similar size and competition, he wasn’t very good last year. He dominated against smaller guys and guys not as skilled.

I find it hard to believe Walsh would be the next in line coach….i can’t see that fan base accepting that.

Rice, Tucker and Carlyle will still be there (unless a transfer happens) and yes, plenty of mins with others graduating or transferring. But it’ll be the same old IU, and not do much…maybe win a tourney game? But if that’s what he wants with the money IU is (foolishly) willing to spend on players, then hope it works out. I think he’s more of a 3 year player.

If my kid had opportunity to go anywhere he/she wanted, and they chose to go out of state…I’d be figuring a way out to be close to them at all times to watch them play. If UConn is the best opportunity, then go there.

If he’s a s good as people say he is, he’d be wasting his talents at IU.

My guess is Kentucky. Sell him on transitioning to a cg/pg just like Sheppard did. He has the tools to become a mold of his game.

JHS wasn’t even going to play as much, or even start until X broke his foot. He developed a bit, but often was inconsistent with his shot (which still shows) and didn’t show up at times when needed. Ware would have developed almost anywhere and I don’t think it was solely because of Woodson and I’m not sold he’s all that good…against similar size and competition, he wasn’t very good last year. He dominated against smaller guys and guys not as skilled.

Ummm... Before Xavier Johnson broke his foot, Indiana played nine regular season games and two exhibitions. Johnson and Hood-Schifino started each and every one of those games together, and Hood-Schifino played at least 22 minutes in every one of those games. As I said, on two occasions pre-Xmas Hood-Schifino was dealing with the back issues that eventually caused his surgery last year, and did not play at all for the two games he was out injured.

Haralson, Williams-Adams, Sisley, Singleton, and West are the 5 guys still in play for Purdue.
Regardless of ranking, I like what I see in all of them. Signing Day is about 2 months away.
Whoever we get will be very happy they picked Purdue because 2026 looks like our Natty year.
Nothing against Sisley and Singleton, but signing the other 3 would be major recruiting momentum.

It will be difficult for Purdue to land top 25 high school players without a stronger NIL budget for them.

This is because Purdue has established, successful players like Smith, Loyer, Kaufman, Heide, Colvin, and Harris, Keeping those players will eat up most of the payroll. Purdue could attract kids like Haralson, Mullins, Reibe, etc, but by doing so they won't have the $500k+ it will take to annually retain guys like Smith.

Payroll for veteran players is why Gillis left - after paying the key guys there wasn't enough left for Purdue to compete with Duke's offer to Gillis' agent. Purdue had choices, and with the option of keeping Heide and Colvin at a lesser price they decided not to monetarily pursue Gillis. To me that makes perfect sense and was a good decision.
How much did Gillis get from Duke? I like Gillis and what he brings to the team, but not sure he's a big budge NIL impact player, especially as a spot up 3 pt shooter and dirty work rebounder without the benefit of Edey.

Not directly, but he's definitely in discussions with the folks that control NIL money.
Probably. But what happens if some corporation offers a player a contract to sponsor their product, and it's outside of the established NIL "kitty"? Painter and Purdue have no say.

Reactions: Poprudy
Probably. But what happens if some corporation offers a player a contract to sponsor their product, and it's outside of the established NIL "kitty"? Painter and Purdue have no say.
Yup! The only parts that Painter/Purdue can control is the exposure, playing time and usage of a player. That could control the value of such player.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
How much did Gillis get from Duke? I like Gillis and what he brings to the team, but not sure he's a big budge NIL impact player, especially as a spot up 3 pt shooter and dirty work rebounder without the benefit of Edey.
That likely won't be published. But given what a key veteran top seven but 'not a key scorer/shot maker' at a big money program has been getting? He's probably about a $500k per year guy.

Ummm... Before Xavier Johnson broke his foot, Indiana played nine regular season games and two exhibitions. Johnson and Hood-Schifino started each and every one of those games together, and Hood-Schifino played at least 22 minutes in every one of those games. As I said, on two occasions pre-Xmas Hood-Schifino was dealing with the back issues that eventually caused his surgery last year, and did not play at all for the two games he was out injured.
My mistake. He was very unforgettable for the first half of the season and then would pop and then disappear for a bit and then pop again.

Hopefully he gets a shot in the nba, but Bronny may be taking his spot due to his father running the team.

My mistake. He was very unforgettable for the first half of the season and then would pop and then disappear for a bit and then pop again.

Hopefully he gets a shot in the nba, but Bronny may be taking his spot due to his father running the team.
Bronny sucks.

JHS has a deteriorating disc and may be a bust unless surgery went really well.

You all gotta just forget about Haralson and Mullins. I think Sisley, West, and Singleton are possibilities. Obviously not all 3

Yup! The only parts that Painter/Purdue can control is the exposure, playing time and usage of a player. That could control the value of such player.
Even if he could, I can't imagine Painter even wanting to spend time on the financial details of the NIL initiative. I am (slightly) curious about how the money is distributed. I assume Jones received 100% of the distribution for the Lance Dance shirts? Did the entire team evenly split the NIL money for the sweatshirt that had all of their images?

However ...I would think that Ware has almost zero to do with Mullins' game or calculation.
Going back to this…I was just stating “Woody and staff” have “put 3 players in the NBA” and they can point to that.
You must forget the Texas recruit, Liam McNeeley?

And trust me, Mullins family won’t care about location if he has a shot to play at UConn and get decent Mins playing for one of, if not the best, program in the country.
IU is going to have a very good season and Mullins' primary recruiter Brian Walsh may be the head coach in waiting. arlyle gone after this year, there is plenty of opportunity to be an early rotation player at IU.
What’s an “excellent season” in this case? Actually making a second weekend? Not getting swept by Penn state, northwestern, Rutgers and Iowa?

If Walsh is the coach next year, that means woody got fired and had a terrible season this year and Mullins would de-commit, pending he had committed there.

And where are rice and Carlyle going? They transferring? I would def assume cupps and Newton transfer out after this year since they won’t see much PT.

He wants to stay close to home, but is concerned with coaching at IU.

Purdue is close to home AND has a top 10 coach in country coming off Final 4, but they are eliminated.

He'll be a Hoosier. It's obvious this is a pro-IU family. The only reason he's stringing it out is the dumpster Woodson had that program in last year.

are you talking about an established player already on the roster or a recruit where the NIL $ is the incentive to go to a specific school?
If a company wants to go rogue outside of the NIL and deal with a player/agent directly, then I'm not sure how that impacts their decision on where to play.
Why? Because if Painter isn't involved, there's no guarantee of a ROI for the company because said player not even get the playing time expected and therefore, the eyeballs on the product.

That likely won't be published. But given what a key veteran top seven but 'not a key scorer/shot maker' at a big money program has been getting? He's probably about a $500k per year guy.
I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near that. I'm not even sure Gillis is a starter and it's not like he's going to come in and average 20 pts a game. He might be a 6th man, avg 6 pts a game, and provide some leadership. Not sure that's worth $500K when that money could be spend on a bigger impact player.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
He wants to stay close to home, but is concerned with coaching at IU.

Purdue is close to home AND has a top 10 coach in country coming off Final 4, but they are eliminated.

He'll be a Hoosier. It's obvious this is a pro-IU family. The only reason he's stringing it out is the dumpster Woodson had that program in last year.
NIL changes everything. Before NIL, most top players wanted to play, win, and get national exposure to help them get to the next level. Now NIL is the priority for most. Winning has apparently dropped to the lowest priority, since it's clear you can get exposure and reach the next level in a losing program.

Given a choice, I will gladly take a winning program over one that loses but regularly puts players in the NBA. Kentucky agrees. IU doesn't.

I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near that. I'm not even sure Gillis is a starter and it's not like he's going to come in and average 20 pts a game. He might be a 6th man, avg 6 pts a game, and provide some leadership. Not sure that's worth $500K when that money could be spend on a bigger impact player.
Won't know for sure, but about $500k is what a 6th man on a national championship, big money school will make in the portal.

I remember reading somewhere (can't cite source) that IU players like Newton are getting about $200-$250k in NIL. If back-benchers are worth that much, then Gillis is worth $500k-ish to be the sixth man at Duke. Ballo at IU (definitely an impact player) turned down $1.25 million from another school to play at IU for $1 million.

You must forget the Texas recruit, Liam McNeeley?

And trust me, Mullins family won’t care about location if he has a shot to play at UConn and get decent Mins playing for one of, if not the best, program in the country.

McNeeley is from just outsdide Dallas. At least that's a non-stop from Hartford.

And as we know, every kid is different. McNeeley has been at Montverde for high school; he's already well-accustomed to living on his own away from home. Mullins may be wired to want to be in college within a few hours of home.

McNeeley is from just outsdide Dallas. At least that's a non-stop from Hartford.

And as we know, every kid is different. McNeeley has been at Montverde for high school; he's already well-accustomed to living on his own away from home. Mullins may be wired to want to be in college within a few hours of home.
lol your obsession with non stop flights is a bit odd. Lots of parents get apartments or move closer to their kid.

He very may well go to Indiana, but it’ll be a waste of his talents.

Won't know for sure, but about $500k is what a 6th man on a national championship, big money school will make in the portal.

I remember reading somewhere (can't cite source) that IU players like Newton are getting about $200-$250k in NIL. If back-benchers are worth that much, then Gillis is worth $500k-ish to be the sixth man at Duke. Ballo at IU (definitely an impact player) turned down $1.25 million from another school to play at IU for $1 million.
Newton making 200-250? Lolol…man IU is desperate.

Ballo took the highest offer and that was from IU —$1.2M. IU is desperate in trying to return to the second weekend in almost a decade and its 5th time in 30 years. That’s why they outbid everyone else and spent so much on a team. Let’s see if it pays off for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT