ADVERTISEMENT

Haralson update

Aren't we 8-1 against MSU over the last 5 years? I really don't see any reason to go play for Izzo over Painter at this point. Maybe MSU has a bigger bag for him but we have been the better program in recent years and Izzo seems to have a hard time navigating the NIL era. The best players on our team are always prominent in all-conference, all-American, conference POTY and national POTY conversations whether it be a center like Edey, a scoring guard like Edwards or Ivey, a power forward like Swanigan, or now a point guard like Smith. If you're one of our top options you're almost assured to win a bunch of games and be noticed on a national stage. If that's not enough or you don't want to earn your keep, this probably isn't the place for you anyway.

Aren't we 8-1 against MSU over the last 5 years? I really don't see any reason to go play for Izzo over Painter at this point. Maybe MSU has a bigger bag for him but we have been the better program in recent years and Izzo seems to have a hard time navigating the NIL era. The best players on our team are always prominent in all-conference, all-American, conference POTY and national POTY conversations whether it be a center like Edey, a scoring guard like Edwards or Ivey, a power forward like Swanigan, or now a point guard like Smith. If you're one of our top options you're almost assured to win a bunch of games and be noticed on a national stage. If that's not enough or you don't want to earn your keep, this probably isn't the place for you anyway.
I agree with all your points. However, guys who are one and done, typically want to go somewhere they can be showcased right away and don’t always care if they win a lot since they will only be there for a year. With that said, I hope JH isn’t that way.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It is always encouraging for a school when a player visits that school and immediately thereafter cancels other visits.

So an educated guess? MSU.
I agree it’s a good sign for Michigan State based on him canceling visits immediately after visiting there. They had many of their successful players of recent past on campus during his visit. I also don’t see an over abundance of talent on their roster that would limit his playing time. They also fit the close to home proximity being less than 4 hours from Fishers. I believe they are likely in the drivers seat at this point.
I do think it’s a bit puzzling as to why he is keeping his Purdue visit? Is it solely because of coach Johnson and his relationship with his dad? Were his previous visits really influential and he just has a good feeling about Purdue and the team? Is it because of proximity alone and he just figures it’s worth one last look? I optimistically think he’s seriously considering Purdue and we have a decent shot.
I think ND offers him the ability for him to come in and showcase what he can do. Probably the best case scenario to prove he can lead, and showcase his play lifting up the play of teammates and the whole team.
That leaves IU. He’s visited there the most it sounds like. I think they spin his role as JHS . They’ve got NIL money 💰 but in his case I’m not sure that’s the most important thing he’s considering. He’s going to get his because he’s almost certainly going to the league sooner rather than later. My gut puts them in 4th place slightly behind ND and Purdue.

I agree it’s a good sign for Michigan State based on him canceling visits immediately after visiting there. They had many of their successful players of recent past on campus during his visit. I also don’t see an over abundance of talent on their roster that would limit his playing time. They also fit the close to home proximity being less than 4 hours from Fishers. I believe they are likely in the drivers seat at this point.
I do think it’s a bit puzzling as to why he is keeping his Purdue visit? Is it solely because of coach Johnson and his relationship with his dad? Were his previous visits really influential and he just has a good feeling about Purdue and the team? Is it because of proximity alone and he just figures it’s worth one last look? I optimistically think he’s seriously considering Purdue and we have a decent shot.
I think ND offers him the ability for him to come in and showcase what he can do. Probably the best case scenario to prove he can lead, and showcase his play lifting up the play of teammates and the whole team.
That leaves IU. He’s visited there the most it sounds like. I think they spin his role as JHS . They’ve got NIL money 💰 but in his case I’m not sure that’s the most important thing he’s considering. He’s going to get his because he’s almost certainly going to the league sooner rather than later. My gut puts them in 4th place slightly behind ND and Purdue.
Excellent summary.

I think the only disagreement I have is your assessment of ND. A top 15 player is completely sure they will play a key role anywhere (even if they're mistaken). So I think that the appeal of ND is entirely Micah Shrewsbury, but that won't be enough.

And I also think that the JHS comparison is a legit skill set and role comparison, and it translates to the current IU staff. I know that JHS has been helping to recruit Haralson.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Excellent summary.

I think the only disagreement I have is your assessment of ND. A top 15 player is completely sure they will play a key role anywhere (even if they're mistaken). So I think that the appeal of ND is entirely Micah Shrewsbury, but that won't be enough.

And I also think that the JHS comparison is a legit skill set and role comparison, and it translates to the current IU staff. I know that JHS has been helping to recruit Haralson.
Good summation - I think Micah can show his work with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum as comps to how he runs offense for wings/guards. His lack of success so far at ND is his biggest hurdle, IMO. Perhaps this is his breakout year.

IU - similar story on development and getting guys to the league. Say what you want but getting JHS to be a first rounder after 1 season is impressive. I’m sure they are hammering that massage.

MSU - Spartan dawg lore is the selling point. Izzo’s record hasn’t been great recently but he still pulls in talent.

The timing of canceling the other visits and moving up his visit to Purdue is interesting to say the least. Can’t remember who but a Michigan player told a story about his recruitment by Beilein. After his Michigan visit, the player said he was ready to commit. Beilein told him no, go finish the rest of your visits and call me.

Don’t know why this story reminds me of Haralson’s recruitment but guess I’m just looking for some parallels. Anything to quell the ever present pessimism.

Good summation - I think Micah can show his work with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum as comps to how he runs offense for wings/guards. His lack of success so far at ND is his biggest hurdle, IMO. Perhaps this is his breakout year.

IU - similar story on development and getting guys to the league. Say what you want but getting JHS to be a first rounder after 1 season is impressive. I’m sure they are hammering that massage.

MSU - Spartan dawg lore is the selling point. Izzo’s record hasn’t been great recently but he still pulls in talent.

The timing of canceling the other visits and moving up his visit to Purdue is interesting to say the least. Can’t remember who but a Michigan player told a story about his recruitment by Beilein. After his Michigan visit, the player said he was ready to commit. Beilein told him no, go finish the rest of your visits and call me.

Don’t know why this story reminds me of Haralson’s recruitment but guess I’m just looking for some parallels. Anything to quell the ever present pessimism.
Beef. Your Inner Purdue fan pessimism is showing 😂 but I agree. I would hope he comes here but guessing it’s MSU.

They were on Trevion early but once he got hurt and gained a lot of weight, they backed off. That’s the story I recalled

Think he still had an offer, IIRC.....but yeah, Beef, Izzo did back off at one point and somewhat hinted he regretted that......

This didn't help with that I bet.....

giphy.webp

Looking at the two he dropped and the two that remain, it's clear at least to me that money and NIL is not the driving force behind his decision. if he did his research, he probably found Purdue athletes were getting just as many NIL deals on the side as other athletes.

To me, it looks like he wants to play for an elite coach and an elite team. Both Purdue and MSU offer both.

It sure doesn't hurt that Purdue played in the NCAA championship game last year. and that Purdue has a Pre Season All American guard named Smith. and Edey and Ivey were both lottery picks. Purdue offers everything an intelligent player would want : development, coach, winning history, personal recognition, a chance to play as a freshman, and a chance to become a lottery NBA pick.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Yes. They are always a bad leg injury away from never making it, and a $500k freshman year is guaranteed life changing.
I tend to Disagree. If they are just looking at short term (eg one year) then NIL is a big factor. The real prize is the NBA contract. A mil year or there is irrelevant to a long term NBA contract. Zach for example worked it both ways for himself. He stayed got paid more NIL money than a 2nd round pick. He collected his money and worked his way to a lottery pick and a 4 year $26mm contract.

Think he still had an offer, IIRC.....but yeah, Beef, Izzo did back off at one point and somewhat hinted he regretted that......

This didn't help with that I bet.....
I won't be able to find the quote but I thought he did more than hint that he regretted it. Thought there was a pre or post game comment from him at one point indicating that they made a mistake in letting Trevion get away.

Sigh - last time we had a highly touted recruit and it was down to us and MSU was JJJ. We know how that went.
There’s been several since and we lost almost all. We got Biggie but they Rosie didn’t let them get him. Trevion we got too but izzo kinda downplays his recruitment, sour grapes. I’m surprised msu didn’t offer Fletcher. They were on Caleb Furst though and offered him. Also reportedely offered jelly!

There’s been several since and we lost almost all. We got Biggie but they Rosie didn’t let them get him. Trevion we got too but izzo kinda downplays his recruitment, sour grapes. I’m surprised msu didn’t offer Fletcher. They were on Caleb Furst though and offered him. Also reportedely offered jelly!

Michigan State and Ohio State both offered Nojel Eastern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT