ADVERTISEMENT

Who is #4?

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
No doubt that Bama and Clemson will be #1 and 2 and OSU most likely #3, who gets the nod? ND, Texas A&M, Cincy, and after last nights game Florida will get some love. Always felt that if you did not play in your Conference Championship game you should be excluding but the committee never seems to mind overlooking that. Who can could forget that memorable bore of a rematch of LSU vs Bama not that long ago! If TV money and ratings are the issue and I believe they are a BIG part of it. ND or A&M will get the nod!

I think T A&M, who has only one loss and it was at Alabama. Gonna he close between them and ND though.

Florida has 3 losses. Oklahoma has 2.

True, but the SEC was way, way down this year, only 5 of 14 teams had winning records. My guess is follow the TV ratings and money, avoid a rematch of Bama and A&M and enjoy BAMA kicking ND’s behind!

If I had to wager, my guess is Notre Dame will end up #4 and Ohio State #3, but who really knows for sure? I get the argument for Texas A & M, but it's really hard to separate among a few of these teams, and ND often gets the benefit of the doubt. I also agree that the SEC argument Jimbo Fisher is making would work in many years, but this year the SEC is not the juggernaut conference....so the ACC gets the two teams in a watered down year.

If you're really arguing best teams (or teams playing best now), hell.....Oklahoma could be one - but they really shot themselves in the foot early (and screwed the Big XII) dropping early games to Kansas State and Iowa State, losing leads in the process. A one-loss Oklahoma team might have gotten the nod. I also get the argument concerning Ohio State, but no way (IMO) the Big Ten lets them get excluded, and that's why they retroactively changed the rules to have a conference team have a better chance to receive a playoff spot and an extra payday for the conference.

What I've disliked from the start of this playoff concept is the lack of specific objective criteria and the ability to manipulate the teams in any particular given year....some years it's best resume.....some years it's you're a conference champion.....some years it's just the "eye test," and some years it's "the four "best" teams. Maybe one year it will be four most "deserving" teams - whatever that means. Because we have a "committee," it must be correct, right?

In my day, we didn't have some fancy schmancy committee....oh let's all wait up to see who these FOUR are.....a freaking month before it even matters......you wanted to decide anything, we just let everybody loose in a big field and started beatin the hell out of each other until just one was standing......and we LIKED it!

Ahhhhh......what's the use.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
A couple of years ago Purdue soundly beat OSU. Clemson just did the same thing to ND.
The National championship is more about ratings than actual talent. I have to believe the networks are drooling over a potential best 2 out of three scenario of ND against Clemson once more! Nobody really wants to watch OK or Texas A&M or Florida!

they will find a way to make ND #4 once again. And then they will provide their media hype. Have we not seen all of this before? Did you really expect change?

After ND performance yesterday, most would think they played themselves out of the #4 spot. Hope that's the case.

Nd will get thrashed by Bama. Would cincy or texas a&m do better? Probably doesn't matter

The committee followed the TV ratings and money, just as I thought they would, in selecting the Irish number 4!

I hope Alabama beats ND like a drum. Big surprise ND still got in, even though they didn’t deserve it.

So, you’re trying to select the best 4 teams to play for a national title.
ND was down 31 pts late to the #2 team.
Why would anyone think they were title contenders? And after their last two appearances in the F4?
Unless...it’s all about the $$$.
Not a Texas A&M fan - but hey, maybe a little variety for once.
It’s So...2020.

Reactions: BBG
So, you’re trying to select the best 4 teams to play for a national title.
ND was down 31 pts late to the #2 team.
Why would anyone think they were title contenders? And after their last two appearances in the F4?
Unless...it’s all about the $$$.
Not a Texas A&M fan - but hey, maybe a little variety for once.
It’s So...2020.
I thought A&M belong there also, their one loss was to Bama and played them tough.

Reactions: NVboiler
The committee followed the TV ratings and money, just as I thought they would, in selecting the Irish number 4!

Called it - that ACC Game should have been treated like a quarter-final with the loser gone.

The CFB board talking heads making such a big deal with ND's quality win against Clemson, when
their Heisman QB was out, replaced by a true Freshman, on top of the 5 defensive starters they had out.
Yet you only won, in OT, at home. Huge difference.

I stay leave ND and OSU at home, and bring in TX-A&M and one other.

That the Big Ten had to significantly bend the rules to get OSU on to the B1G Title Game is just another hypocrisy on this B1G new commissioner - kind of ironic to talk about earning things and "privileges" as a problem with society, but then turn around and look the other way. On top of that, his leadership to delay the season cost B1G

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT