ADVERTISEMENT

Whining about MSU’s draw

Candidly, it was a head-scratcher to me to use nearest geographical region as the deciding factor on that one when Michigan State was #5 on the overall seed list. On first glance, it appears Michigan has a better draw than Michigan State. Supposedly, Michigan State's win in the BTT switched them with Kentucky. Maybe they could have also put them in the SOUTH and switched out Tennessee and Purdue. Or, they could have put Michigan State on the 1-line out WEST and had Michigan as the #2 in the EAST.

I'd still give Michigan State a puncher's chance against Duke (if the seeds hold out).....they'd need to have a good shooting night, stay out of foul trouble, and limit the turnovers.

Regardless, the field is set......let the games begin.

We beat UM , a top 10 team 3 times.
Won the BT season and tourney

Not good enough for you?

IF they didnt deserve a 1 seed, the dumb geographical rules messed up the draw.

I'd say they have a right to gripe

Obviously decided before final game. UM got better draw. Whining or not they got screwed...but not badly.

I can see MSU complaining, but the B1G channel? I mean the league got 8 teams in and should be celebrating it.

Purdue has gotten repeatedly boned on their seeding and placement. I have zero sympathy.

Michigan just went to a national title game, so they probably got a little extra love and I am fine with that. I don’t think MSU makes it to Duke. To be honest and of all the 2 seeds, MSU was the team I would have liked to face the most. If Winston has an off night, they are in trouble (unless McQuaid decides to have the best game of his life. However he just used that up against Michigan).

Side note, Michigan got by far and away the best pull in the Big. They very well could march right into the final four without playing the 1 or the 3... again. Definitely the softest bracket, depending on which Texas Tech shows up. I would say Michigan and Texas Tech are the most likely to win that region.

All things considering, Purdue got the best pull it could have gotten. Couldn’t be with UM or MSU, so the choice was Kentucky or Tennessee. I would say Tennessee would be the choice there. Virginia and Gonzaga are the 1 seeds I would have wanted the most to face. The biggest complaint is Nova as the 6, but the other options were Iowa State and Buffalo (likely wouldn’t or couldn’t be Maryland). Nova very well may be the most beatable of those options.

For what it is worth, it absolutely just breaks my heart that MSU is unhappy with their draw. Which is strange, because outside of Duke, there is nobody scary in that bracket. If Duke stumbles, MSU would have zero excuse for not winning that bracket.

by almost any measure the big ten was the best conference. MSU won the regular season and tournament while dealing with injuries. instead of getting a 1 seed the committee gave 3 ACC teams one seeds. to add to that, MSU is paired with the best 1 seed.

that's a rough draw.

Obviously decided before final game. UM got better draw. Whining or not they got screwed...but not badly.

The NCAA Committee said MSU actually moved up when they won the BTT game - jumped Kentucky.

They got screwed, plain and simple. Even if I'm not a fan of them, I recognize it. They deserved a 1 seed.

Here's the thing - if you'r looking at it as when you have to play Duke - it's either an Elite 8 match-up, or likely in the following round.

I think MSU's pod is pretty weak with LSU as the 3 seed.

They should cruise to the Elite 8.

How can the committee justify putting a team with 6 losses as a 1 seed? The rest of the country would have been up in arms if that would have happened. MSU just needs to suck it up . There's no guarantee that Duke is even going to be there in the end.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
How can the committee justify putting a team with 6 losses as a 1 seed? The rest of the country would have been up in arms if that would have happened. MSU just needs to suck it up . There's no guarantee that Duke is even going to be there in the end.
BTN staff was really complaining about it. I don't think the ACC deserved 3, #1 seeds but the BIG didn't get slighted with 8 teams in the field.
My thoughts are UM got the best draw and Purdue got the second best draw. MSU did get a decent shot at the GR 8. Duke will be tough for anyone.

Wat

UNC has 6 losses. Both their signature wins were vs Zion less Duke. Didbt UNC also have 11 losses last year and they got a 1 or 2?

UNC was 0-4 in signature games this season if you dont count their wins vs Duke without Zion. They simply dont deserve a 1.

MSU won the conference and tourney title in arguably the toughest conference.

Giving 3 ACC teams a 1 is pathetic.

Reactions: indyogb
Since I live in Mich I get to hear the whining 1st hand. My favorite was on the morning sports show where Stoney said that Izzo wanted a Friday game cause his players played on Sunday. According to Stoney, not giving MSU one clearly showed bias against the Spartans.

I guess Izzo's whining is contagious. If I am going to live here I should get vaccinated or maybe after 35 years of living here I am naturally immune.

Reactions: Purdue85
UNC has 6 losses. Both their signature wins were vs Zion less Duke. Didbt UNC also have 11 losses last year and they got a 1 or 2?
I agree that UNC doesn't deserve a 1 seed. But I don't understand why that bracket that your in is anything but a greased path to the final 4. You play the way you've been playing and your there.

Losses to non-tournament teams:
1-1. Duke (0)
1-2. Virginia (0)
1-3. North Carolina (1)
1-4. Gonzaga (0)
2-1. Tennessee (0)
2-2. Michigan St (3)
2-3. Kentucky (1)
2-4. Michigan (1)
3-1. Houston (0)
3-2. Texas Tech (1)
3-3. LSU (2)
3-4. Purdue (2)

1-1. Duke (0)
1-2. Virginia (0)
1-3. North Carolina (1)
1-4. Gonzaga (0)
2-1. Tennessee (0)
2-2. Michigan St (3)
2-3. Kentucky (1)
2-4. Michigan (1)
3-1. Houston (0)
3-2. Texas Tech (1)
3-3. LSU (2)
3-4. Purdue (2)

Those 3 loses were brutal. How many of those teams on that list won the regular season and tournament conference titles?

1-1. Duke (0)
1-2. Virginia (0)
1-3. North Carolina (1)
1-4. Gonzaga (0)
2-1. Tennessee (0)
2-2. Michigan St (3)
2-3. Kentucky (1)
2-4. Michigan (1)
3-1. Houston (0)
3-2. Texas Tech (1)
3-3. LSU (2)
3-4. Purdue (2)
NET ranking:
1-1. Duke (3)
1-2. Virginia (1)
1-3. North Carolina (7)
1-4. Gonzaga (2)
2-1. Tennessee (5)
2-2. Michigan St (8)
2-3. Kentucky (6)
2-4. Michigan (9)
3-1. Houston (4)
3-2. Texas Tech (10)
3-3. LSU (14)
3-4. Purdue (12)

Those 3 loses were brutal. How many of those teams on that list won the regular season and tournament conference titles?
Conference titles are not part of the equation

RESOURCES
Committee members have a wide-range of observation, consultation and data resources available to them throughout the season and during selection week. These resources provide the foundation for a thorough and educated process that is reinforced by the committee member’s discussion and deliberation. Among the resources available to the committee are an extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and NABC regional advisory rankings; complete box scores and results, head-to-head results, results versus common opponents, imbalanced conference schedules and results, overall and non-conference strength of schedule, the quality of wins and losses, road record, player and coach availability and various computer metrics. Each of the 10 committee members uses these various resources to form their own opinions, resulting in the committee’s consensus position on teams’ selection and seeding.

Reactions: asmith640
DUMB QUESTION!

Why isn't Murray State a #1? They won regular season and tournament
How about Northern Kentucky being a #1? Also won regular season and their tournament.
Another team....Vermont.
Oh another VILLANOVA - also last year's NCAA champs and have won it 2x's in last 5 years.
Etc., etc., etc.....

Winning your regular season conference title and conference tournament does not (and should never) have a direct impact on your seeding.

Win games. Have a tough schedule. Don't get blown out in losses. Oversimplified, but these enhance seeding.

ive heard a lot of whining about MSU getting the same regional as Duke. Seems to me it is about time they faced a Purdue-like tourney draw. LOL!
MSU should have been the 1 seed. Won the conference & tournament in the best league. MSU should have been the 1 seed over UNC. UNC should be the 2 seed in Zag's bracket & Michigan should have been the 2 in Dukes bracket. ACC gets way to much love.

To be fair, UNC has 6 losses too - their 6th came in the ACC Tournament.

NET ranking:
1-1. Duke (3)
1-2. Virginia (1)
1-3. North Carolina (7)
1-4. Gonzaga (2)
2-1. Tennessee (5)
2-2. Michigan St (8)
2-3. Kentucky (6)
2-4. Michigan (9)
3-1. Houston (4)
3-2. Texas Tech (10)
3-3. LSU (14)
3-4. Purdue (12)

I think this shows how strong the NET system matters to the committee, not sure it's an inherent ACC bias.

For example, a lot of FSU people are surprised Purdue was seeded ahead of them. The one stat they don't cite is the NET.

MSU also had the most Quad 1 wins in the country. I thought those were supposed to matter. The system is just too subjective.

They got screwed, plain and simple. Even if I'm not a fan of them, I recognize it. They deserved a 1 seed.

Actually, I agree with this. No way should the ACC get 3 of the #1 seeds. That tells you how top heavy and lack of depth the ACC has.

Mich St is 28-6 and is 10-1 against Top 25 teams. North Carolina is 27-6 and 8-4 vs Top 25 teams. Michigan State has the better resume winning a share of the B1G and the tournament. Not sure I get the love for North Carolina.

MSU also had the most Quad 1 wins in the country. I thought those were supposed to matter. The system is just too subjective.

I don't know if we even know this, but what is the area that is "weakening" MSU in the NET? UNC also has 6 losses, so it's not simply that.

Is it "bad" losses? 3 of MSU's 6 losses are to non-tournament teams. I think UNC has 1.

And I mean this seriously - obviously something is making them stand out a bit differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT