ADVERTISEMENT

not sure if anyone caught the segment on TRU a few minutes ago about Virginia losing to the 16 seed and then

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
the championship. Interviewed Kyle Guy a lot and he talked about all the hate they encountered after losing. I know this subject came up a couple of weeks ago concerning some treatment towards Dustin. I followed with some comments from Purdue fan when Braden was injured in the MSU game. They are out there even if we don't see them here.

the championship. Interviewed Kyle Guy a lot and he talked about all the hate they encountered after losing. I know this subject came up a couple of weeks ago concerning some treatment towards Dustin. I followed with some comments from Purdue fan when Braden was injured in the MSU game. They are out there even if we don't see them here.
Yep, there are idiots in every fan base

I saw it. Just commented on it in another thread. Mentioned how the psychologist helped Guy get through his anxiety for the game.

Reactions: tjreese
Yep, there are idiots in every fan base
I don't think we would consider such, but I also don't think many have fully grasped the harassment from the idiots that takes place. We saw it with the letter to TJD. Whether an ego is in play or money loss, something is wrong in the culture... worse than years ago. Course we know it isn't basketball, it is people and their shortcomings that just show up in this sport of our interest.

I don't think we would consider such, but I also don't think many have fully grasped the harassment from the idiots that takes place. We saw it with the letter to TJD. Whether an ego is in play or money loss, something is wrong in the culture... worse than years ago. Course we know it isn't basketball, it is people and their shortcomings that just show up in this sport of our interest.
Lot's of stupid people in this world, makes sense some of them would be basketball fans... I think it's a small minority, but they are still there for sure.

Reactions: tjreese
Lot's of stupid people in this world, makes sense some of them would be basketball fans... I think it's a small minority, but they are still there for sure.
Always has been. There's no golden age of niceness. If the internet existed in the 50s, it would be a cesspool.

Heck I spent fifth grade walking to school being told that the eyes of the KKK were upon me almost every day.

Always has been. There's no golden age of niceness. If the internet existed in the 50s, it would be a cesspool.

Heck I spent fifth grade walking to school being told that the eyes of the KKK were upon me almost every day.
Yep, stupid has no timetable, it's always been there.

Yep, stupid has no timetable, it's always been there.
Stupid as some reference point combination of cognitive index and application has always been there. That data is not the cultural “change” that we see in people. The change described by people doing mean things is worse than years ago. That is not to suggest there was a golden age where people didn’t lash out, but there are signs everywhere that society is coarser than years ago on the whole through actions.

Like most things of importance dealing with “people” it is easy to get into a form of politics and/or religion in some fashion and I’m not going to do that. That said, an imperfect culture with all its warts and flaws has eroded to something worse and there are countless examples available IMO.

It has definitely gotten worse over the last few years. We live in a “I” and “Me” society. You can see it in Karen/Ken attitudes, increased road rage, etc.

For athletes, with legalized gambling in several states, these kids losing games can cost bettors money. More people have a vested interest in games, which in turn does lead to more incidents of lashing out at athletes, coaches and officials.

It has definitely gotten worse over the last few years. We live in a “I” and “Me” society. You can see it in Karen/Ken attitudes, increased road rage, etc.

For athletes, with legalized gambling in several states, these kids losing games can cost bettors money. More people have a vested interest in games, which in turn does lead to more incidents of lashing out at athletes, coaches and officials.
I'm going to tip toe around the potential causes of the change and only state that there are many more signs as you know in your truncated listing.

As a diversion of that change I'm going to hope I see a burst in Braden and the team get comfortable early today and hope this weekend works out well for the good guys. We shall know soon. ;)

Stupid as some reference point combination of cognitive index and application has always been there. That data is not the cultural “change” that we see in people. The change described by people doing mean things is worse than years ago. That is not to suggest there was a golden age where people didn’t lash out, but there are signs everywhere that society is coarser than years ago on the whole through actions.

Like most things of importance dealing with “people” it is easy to get into a form of politics and/or religion in some fashion and I’m not going to do that. That said, an imperfect culture with all its warts and flaws has eroded to something worse and there are countless examples available IMO.
I would suggest that the bolded part would greatly depend on who you are and where you lived. This being a bball forum I won't go any further than that.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I would suggest that the bolded part would greatly depend on who you are and where you lived. This being a bball forum I won't go any further than that.
Exactly. People don't see how other groups might think the past might not be so rosy when it comes to "meanness."

For example, I don't have to worry about sundown towns anymore (mostly).

People were being beaten in Congress in the 1800s. There's never a time when people were nicer. Perhaps dissension was less tolerated so things seemed more polite.

The culture is more coarse, less class. I don't see that as victimization of one group versus another in spite of a platform devoted to Intersectionality. As I said there was no golden age and the group you infer is an example that there was no golden age (I assume the group you infer is not asian or indian?), but there are all kinds of examples where life means little today over a much broader segment of the population. It is a bball forum and like my previous post I won't get into what may be at play either

Exactly. People don't see how other groups might think the past might not be so rosy when it comes to "meanness."

For example, I don't have to worry about sundown towns anymore (mostly).

People were being beaten in Congress in the 1800s. There's never a time when people were nicer. Perhaps dissension was less tolerated so things seemed more polite.
with the ups and downs like the market the trend has been to a much kinder society over the centuries. That we can agree on. I just wish it would head back to the model prediction or line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT