ADVERTISEMENT

Which frosh guard

Well it won’t be Katchings at the 3. Now Purdue and painter can go back to his 3 guard offense. Maybe Loyer will slide over to the three and Colvin or Harris will take over at the 2

You could also say the only team to start a freshman in the final 4 won a national title. Both have the same relevance.
Weird stat. Loyer and Smoth started for us 2 years ago and we were number one in the country much of the year, I expect a quick rebuttal on how we did in tourney but that was one game and we won a. Lot of tough games with two freshmen. I think Virginia had a starting freshman at guard when they won it all. Jacobson is also expected to play a lot of minutes and could start.

Watched a Harris game on Joe Jackson’s channel and I think that he has a chance to be one of Painter’s best perimeter defenders. I think he’ll have an important role as a freshman because of his defense.

That's what I am anxious to see how good are these new frosh on D? I'm hopeful.

Not enough 1+ minute videos.
Where is the coverage???
Is there more on other sites?

Last edited:
I would rank their defense at the HS level. #1 Daniel, #2 Raliegh, #3 tossup between Jack, CJ and Gicarri. IMO the only players who are capable of being defensive stoppers as freshmen are the two big guys. Jack shines as a help defender and perimeter shot blocker. CJ is smart and lives in the passing lanes he probably will go down as a Chris Kramer/Ray Davis 2 time all defensive players. Harris is more of a Nojel banger he is excellent at knowing what you want to do and proceeds to take it away. He maybe the best of the 5 but few will understand why? Harris won't show up in the stat sheets as much, but his play will lead to wins. I would have to go with Harris IMO he won't face many who have a physical advantage on him 1, 2, and 3 spots. This is in no way a slight on any of the others. I could make an argument for all of them. For the record I would have placed Catching last due to his lack of effort compared to the other 5.

I would rank their defense at the HS level. #1 Daniel, #2 Raliegh, #3 tossup between Jack, CJ and Gicarri. IMO the only players who are capable of being defensive stoppers as freshmen are the two big guys. Jack shines as a help defender and perimeter shot blocker. CJ is smart and lives in the passing lanes he probably will go down as a Chris Kramer/Ray Davis 2 time all defensive players. Harris is more of a Nojel banger he is excellent at knowing what you want to do and proceeds to take it away. He maybe the best of the 5 but few will understand why? Harris won't show up in the stat sheets as much, but his play will lead to wins. I would have to go with Harris IMO he won't face many who have a physical advantage on him 1, 2, and 3 spots. This is in no way a slight on any of the others. I could make an argument for all of them. For the record I would have placed Catching last due to his lack of effort compared to the other 5.
Guess it’s hard to rank all 5 together. So maybe the front court would be DJ then Raleigh. Backcourt would be Gicarri, CJ and then Jack.

I know you’ve been high on Jack for quite some time. But you think he’s able to play defense right away at the D1 level? Genuinely asking since he is coming from a smaller school…he doesn’t seem to be as quick as our other guards, but maybe I’m wrong. I hope he develops into a great player for us. I would assume he RS this year though, along with Burgess.

In lue of the lack of current practice video @ Purdue, this is much appreciated. Thanks.

You are correct on his team D principals. He is more than ok there.

But yes, individual players blew by him on occasion.....and not just All B10 guys. If you didn't see it last year, that will give you something to look for this year. (It's ok to notice his few shortcomings. Still a great player.)
I remember more times that he went flying across the court to give his man an easy basket than anything else. He sells it decently and gets some calls, but if the whistle isn't blowing him get knocked off balance/going flying when his man drives is absolutely a liability. That said he is quite good at team defense, and has an eye for occasionally pinching in at the right spot to knock a ball loose as help.

He probably averaged 1 blown drive per game, but also a charge per game. Not really a net loss. The bigger thing I would like to see this season is his consistency on offense, especially when he is under tight pressure. Other teams would completely take him out of his game by being aggressive. If he can figure out how to get those 15-25 points every game instead of every 2-3 games we will be very good this year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He has a little "courtsense" in his statements. I know courtsense would claim to be an attorney as well and has also stated he was on the Purdue board for a very long time.....could this be????

You're no Courtsense, Senator.....

55f952a7bd86ef10008ba9b5

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
Well it won’t be Katchings at the 3. Now Purdue and painter can go back to his 3 guard offense. Maybe Loyer will slide over to the three and Colvin or Harris will take over at the 2
It’s Catchings. He wasn’t primarily a 3. And he wasn’t expected to start. I don’t think he was ever expected to depart from the 3 guard offense. Although dont discount Heide playing some 3 with TKR likely getting some time at 4. I do think Harris, Loyer, and smith will be on the court a lot this year but whether that’s starting or not no one knows yet. And a lot of this may be matchup driven.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I think Harris has a good shot of being a solid stopper by the end of the season. He looks like he has a college ready body, and his strength in HS was already lock down D. Probably not a starter this year, but he should be serviceable by the end of the year to put in to shut down a hot streak from an opposing guard if Loyer is struggling on D and isn't shooting lights out (if Loyer is hot he will outscore any lack of D).
This. Everything I hear he can spell Lance jones with his size, 2-way, and ability to shoot. He is considered the most college ready, more than Catchings was. I’m excited to see what he brings.

This. Everything I hear he can spell Lance jones with his size, 2-way, and ability to shoot. He is considered the most college ready, more than Catchings was. I’m excited to see what he brings.
This class has some fine pieces. Does Burgess go from a possible RS to playing meaningful minutes. If so, I'm really excited to see his growth.

This class could end up very nice!

Good points. When I say "stopper", I mean for THIS roster. The best WE have. In the same way that Ethan was kind of our stopper, even though he wasn't really shutting down guys. He made them work for every shot, and he's the best we had right now, so he was our defensive stopper. Wishful thinking as it might be. ;)
Maybe "designated defender" more accurately describes my idea. Someone that works at it, is athletic and strong enough, and has the attitude that D is going to get him PT. (it will) IF one of them can be that guy as a frosh in the back court would be huge. Smith and Loyer are probably going to play big minutes, likely at a faster pace. Replacing what Lance gave us, even for 3 or 4 minutes is going to be huge. If 2 of them can be viable come tourney time, be another step forward, and give us a better shot against killer scoring guards.

Last edited:
Guess it’s hard to rank all 5 together. So maybe the front court would be DJ then Raleigh. Backcourt would be Gicarri, CJ and then Jack.

I know you’ve been high on Jack for quite some time. But you think he’s able to play defense right away at the D1 level? Genuinely asking since he is coming from a smaller school…he doesn’t seem to be as quick as our other guards, but maybe I’m wrong. I hope he develops into a great player for us. I would assume he RS this year though, along with Burgess.
I'm not sure anyone will redshirt although you would think at least 2 would have too. Not as quick as CJ and Gicarri true but neither of them is 6'6" either. As for the small school slant his HS is bigger than CJ's, Raleigh's, Myles, Heide, Furst, and within 100 students of TKR. Besides it's all about AAU now where they play a months' worth of HS games in a weekend. I am sticking with Jack as the best player in this class. Any player who shoots 45% from 3 while averaging over 25 points per which works out to over a point a minute gets my vote. I can't wait till everyone sees his range its completely Insane. I have taken a beating on choosing Jack not to the extent I got for calling Zach Painters best recruit ever 5 years ago. After the all-star games many while not agreeing with me. They at least acknowledged I might have a point. Think of Jack as a better shooting Sasha and clearly the best passer of the 5. I would recommend that anyone not named Raleigh who is asked to redshirt transfer immediately! Furst is the only player who won't be here next year. If Jack redshirts that is saying he won't play the next year as well. Because that say's Smith, Loyer, Heide, Colvin, Harris and Cox are ahead of you. Jack would have to wait 2 years for two of them to move on. IMO barring injury trying to redshirt anyone is the same as asking them to transfer. It's all about the money now a school isn't going to pay a player they have no use for. While a Butler or Indiana State will pay big for a starter and protentional NCAA tourney birth. Just the way I see it.

Which guards exposed him exactly?
Jalen Hood-Schfino exposed him and Morton. UConns guards after him pretty hard. The Big Ten though didn't really have anyone at his position that were elite talents. SG position is pretty bad throughout the league overall. Last year he was just put on the "easiest" perimeter player to defend because you had Jones and Smith is a better defender than Loyer. I think Painter did a good job most of the year of being able to keep Loyer in a good position to succeed defensively and it helps having Edey behind you. UConn kicked everyone's butt though so. Will the Big Ten be any better at SG this coming year? Probably not. Quite possibly worse with Tyson Walker, Shannon and Tominaga leaving.

Smith played 34 mpg last year.
Loyer played 27.8 mpg last year.

Although Purdue will go as those two go, I see both minutes going down slightly this year.....as CMP has more options. Great recruiting class & improved sophomores.

Smith....around 32
Loyer around 25

That leaves ~ 23 minutes @ the 1 & 2. and 40 @ the 3 for the frosh & Sophomores. And that's ok.

Smith's scoring goes up.
Loyer about the same.
I think Smiths minutes could actually go up to about 35. I don't think Purdue is going to blow teams out like they did last year and Smith will be needed on the floor. He's going to be the best player on the floor most games.

I think Smiths minutes could actually go up to about 35. I don't think Purdue is going to blow teams out like they did last year and Smith will be needed on the floor. He's going to be the best player on the floor most games.

Could be right on his minutes.... eventually. Great players get them. And Smith might be the B10s best, but for sure most believe certainly in top 5 of all the returnees.

I just figured in Nov/Dec/early Jan CMP would liberally let others of his deep roster get involved more before he fine tunes his rotations in late Jan......dragging Smith's ave MPG down.

Last edited:
Could be right on his minutes.... eventually. Great players get them. And Smith might be the B10s best, but for sure most believe certainly in top 5 of all the returnees.

I just figured in Nov/Dec/early Jan CMP would liberally let others of his deep roster get involved more before he fine tunes his rotations in late Jan......dragging Smith's ave MPG down.
Maybe in the buy games. But Purdue has some tough ones early with Alabama, Marquette and Texas A&M.

Maybe in the buy games. But Purdue has some tough ones early with Alabama, Marquette and Texas A&M.

He used his frosh early last couple years, and will again this year. He has done this for awhile. Heck CMP even played Ryne Smith early his frosh year a few minutes in a handful of games, and he was the worst defender as a frosh I ever saw. So bad it was funny.

He used his frosh early last couple years, and will again this year. He has done this for awhile. Heck CMP even played Ryne Smith early his frosh year a few minutes in a handful of games, and he was the worst defender as a frosh I ever saw. So bad it was funny.

Yes, in retrospect, the PFPT (Pump Fake Practice Time) ratio was rather distorted. :)

• Haha
Jalen Hood-Schfino exposed him and Morton. UConns guards after him pretty hard. The Big Ten though didn't really have anyone at his position that were elite talents. SG position is pretty bad throughout the league overall. Last year he was just put on the "easiest" perimeter player to defend because you had Jones and Smith is a better defender than Loyer. I think Painter did a good job most of the year of being able to keep Loyer in a good position to succeed defensively and it helps having Edey behind you. UConn kicked everyone's butt though so. Will the Big Ten be any better at SG this coming year? Probably not. Quite possibly worse with Tyson Walker, Shannon and Tominaga leaving.
Loyer was almost 100 spots behind JHS in the rankings so I hope JHS could “expose” him…but he also wasn’t 100% down the stretch that year and also Morton was never a good on ball defender. JHS had the game of his life and, like Illinois made Clingan a top 5 pick this year, Purdue made JHS a top 20 pick last year (although his injuries are starting to pile up and he’s not a great shooter).

But wasn’t asking about the game, which was the best win in woodson’s IU coaching career, I was asking about this past season. And how did it differ than any other guard? I agree he def needs work on defense individually, but he wasn’t nearly as bad as ppl say he was.

The ol’ “ride your best player until the wheels fall off” strategy brought to you by Mike Woodson.

What stood out to me about Harris is that he was very situationally aware and disciplined on D. He also appears to have the length, strength, and quickness to matchup with positions 1-3, but it was the mental part of his game that surprised me.

I had watched Catchings immediately prior and the contrast between the 2 from a defensive understanding perspective was quite stark.

Loyer was almost 100 spots behind JHS in the rankings so I hope JHS could “expose” him…but he also wasn’t 100% down the stretch that year and also Morton was never a good on ball defender. JHS had the game of his life and, like Illinois made Clingan a top 5 pick this year, Purdue made JHS a top 20 pick last year (although his injuries are starting to pile up and he’s not a great shooter).

But wasn’t asking about the game, which was the best win in woodson’s IU coaching career, I was asking about this past season. And how did it differ than any other guard? I agree he def needs work on defense individually, but he wasn’t nearly as bad as ppl say he was.
What? I thought rankings didn't matter?

The ol’ “ride your best player until the wheels fall off” strategy brought to you by Mike Woodson.
Brought to you by Bobby Knight, Coach K, Gene Keady, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Jim Boeheim, Matt Painter, Dan Hurley, Jim Calhoun etc etc etc

Here you go wole. You suggested when “katchings” was coming he would play the 3 and painter would go back to his 3 guard offense, lol. Don’t know how you can argue you never said that when they were the exact words you used.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT