ADVERTISEMENT

Where not to go for a new coach (if that will happen)...

Of course he is, I agree. He’s also the second longest tenured coach at Purdue. He became a Purdue icon and was never a head coach again. Not a great comparison.

You didn't list any exceptions to your "rules" for being termed a Boilermaker and Coach Keady would not have fit under the original limitations you provided that someone who "neither attended Purdue or played for Purdue" was not a Boilermaker.

We don’t need a Purdue grad or a former Purdue coach. Go get an assistant from a top program who has had a lot of success at both winning and recruiting. To the guy who brought up Curry, we certainly don’t need to bring her back, but that would be the model for what to look for in a coach. She was an assistant (LaTech?) and came in and did a great job recruiting and won a lot of games. We were consistently one of the top teams in the country under Curry. She continued where those other coaches left off and even got us sooooo close to another championship. So follow that model and get Purdue back to where we used to be before Versyp, winning the Big Ten nearly every year and being ranked in the top ten most of the time. Who wouldn’t take that? Curry was dumb to leave, though I know she said it was for family reasons. She had a great job at a top school and left it to go rebuild another program and it never worked out for her.

We don’t need a Purdue grad or a former Purdue coach. Go get an assistant from a top program who has had a lot of success at both winning and recruiting. To the guy who brought up Curry, we certainly don’t need to bring her back, but that would be the model for what to look for in a coach. She was an assistant (LaTech?) and came in and did a great job recruiting and won a lot of games. We were consistently one of the top teams in the country under Curry. She continued where those other coaches left off and even got us sooooo close to another championship. So follow that model and get Purdue back to where we used to be before Versyp, winning the Big Ten nearly every year and being ranked in the top ten most of the time. Who wouldn’t take that? Curry was dumb to leave, though I know she said it was for family reasons. She had a great job at a top school and left it to go rebuild another program and it never worked out for her.

Nikki McCray at Old Dominion might be a good choice. Good bio / background.

Just a note to address your point. You cite the hiring of Kristy Curry as the model to follow. That model is more than 20 years old. Look at what any new Purdue coach would be competing against. Illinois hired a 5 time Division III head coach, Indiana’s coach was hired from a Successful HC mid major job. Iowa Coach is the Dean of BT coaches with more than 20 years and came to Iowa from a HC position. Michigan hired their head coach from same position in Big East. Michigan State coach was formerly a MAC HC. Minnesota coach came from the WNBA. Maryland coach is a future HOFer with a national championship. Penn State coach was a former successful HC. Northwestern coach was a very successful HC. Ohio State coach was a successful HC and came from PAC-12. Nebraska coach was a successful former HC. Rutgers coach is a HOFer with four decades of HC success at the highest levels. Wisconsin HC is a former successful HC.
I would say the Curry model has been crushed by the evolution of Big Ten wbb coaches over the last 20 years. Not a single Big Ten Wbb head coach took their current job without previous HC experience except Whalen at Minnesota who is a future HOFer as a player in the WNBA.

Last edited:
Just a note to address your point. You cite the hiring of Kristy Curry as the model to follow. That model is more than 20 years old. Look at what any new Purdue coach would be competing against. Illinois hired a 5 time Division III head coach, Indiana’s coach was hired from a Successful HC mid major job. Iowa Coach is the Dean of BT coaches with more than 20 years and came to Iowa from a HC position. Michigan hired their head coach from same position in Big East. Michigan State coach was formerly a MAC HC. Minnesota coach came from the WNBA. Maryland coach is a future HOFer with a national championship. Penn State coach was a former successful HC. Northwestern coach was a very successful HC. Ohio State coach was a successful HC and came from PAC-12. Nebraska coach was a successful former HC. Rutgers coach is a HOFer with four decades of HC success at the highest levels. Wisconsin HC is a former successful HC.
I would say the Curry model has been crushed by the evolution of Big Ten wbb coaches over the last 20 years. Not a single Big Ten Wbb has coach took their current job without previous HC experience except Whalen at Minnesota who is a future HOFer as a player in the WNBA.
Nice work Mike. Only question I would raise is that OSU coach came from Xavier who are not in the PAC-12.

I doubt we will pay any wbb coach $1 million and especially one who has never had a winning season. I also think SW had made it clear she feels more comfortable culturally in a larger metro community.
Maybe, I guess my post was more about Steph losing at Vandy not necessarily meaning she'd lose here.

Maybe, I guess my post was more about Steph losing at Vandy not necessarily meaning she'd lose here.

Not trying to be a smartass but if SW hadn't played at Purdue is there ANYTHING about her time at Vanderbilt that would make you suggest her for the Purdue job? She certainly hasn't earned the opportunity based on her head coaching record down there, and there's no proof(or even reasonable expectation)at all that she'd be better here.

Wow, is it quiet on here. Just for discussion sake, I have listed a few young"ish" current head coaches who may be the types to consider IF a change is made. Ideally Purdue could grab a current P5 HC from somewhere but not sure that is realistic, possibly due to budgetary considerations. Just a few that I've thought of include:
Nikki McCray (ODU) - my favorite among these, she has a solid HC record and had multiple years as top assistant at a really good P5 program.
Amala Agugua-Hamilton (Missouri State) - really good 1st year as HC at MoSt, 4 prior years as top assistant and recruiting coordinator at Michigan State. Not sure about ability to build/maintain a program as she took over a team with 12 of 13 players returning - 2nd, 3rd, etc seasons as HC will tell more.
Heather Oesterle (Central Michigan) - solid 1st year as HC but no real experience at the P5 level as an HC or assistant.
Katie Gearlds(Marian) - really good multi year records so has shown ability to build and maintain the program. Only coaching experience is at the NAIA level so not sure how that would translate. Kind of outside the box candidate but she does know basketball in this state. I'd believe that she would need a couple of assistants with D1 experience to help but getting her while young COULD be a real steal(or a complete mistake).

I have reservations about Katie G. I think we are going to need a head coach that not only knows the game coaching side, but is also charming. Wait, before you jump me about being silly. By charming, I mean a coach that kids want to play for. A coach that the player's parents want their kids to play for. I want a Pat Summit, Jeff Waltz type coach that comes across as honest, knowledgeable, and charismatic.

Reactions: Gesysp
Given what is going on in our country, I doubt there will be any news on the coaching front. Especially if there is going to be a change, not a great time to bring more angst into what is going on. Just my guess. Also, on the flip side, you could interpret the silence as an indication that Versyp is going to be retained. Who knows?

I have reservations about Katie G. I think we are going to need a head coach that not only knows the game coaching side, but is also charming. Wait, before you jump me about being silly. By charming, I mean a coach that kids want to play for. A coach that the player's parents want their kids to play for. I want a Pat Summit, Jeff Waltz type coach that comes across as honest, knowledgeable, and charismatic.
Charming??? = Pat Summit?????
RIP Pat

Reactions: DocRon and mathboy
Charming??? = Pat Summit?????
RIP Pat
There was the Pat Summit that you saw during games, and she was all business. However, there was a different Pat Summit. I have seen her in Indiana watching recruits and never saying "No" to folks who wanted a photo or autograph----always very charming. I know a coach whom she had met with about recruits. That coach contacted her after the recruit had gone to Tennessee and asked if she would meet with a young girl who loved Tennessee and was going to visit the campus--a 10 year old girl. Pat said, "Sure", met her in her office and took her to the arena to allow her to shoot baskets. The parents and girl thought she was charming. She certainly could recruit, and her former players often spoke very highly of her relationship with them---even though she was tough.

Reactions: Inspector100
You need to pay more attention. She had a delightful personality and was a recruiting machine. Her players adored her. Great ambassador for wbb.
You get the idea. Yes, Pat could look intense on the floor, and her players played hard. However, she was charming and attractive to players as a coach. She was well respected by her peers. That is the kind of coach I want at Purdue.

Reactions: Gesysp
You get the idea. Yes, Pat could look intense on the floor, and her players played hard. However, she was charming and attractive to players as a coach. She was well respected by her peers. That is the kind of coach I want at Purdue.

A top 5 all-time coach in women's basketball? I'd think we all hope for that. Possible that one might not be available right now though.

You need to pay more attention. She had a delightful personality and was a recruiting machine. Her players adored her. Great ambassador for wbb.
Maybe a female GK? Tough personality on the court with good personal relationship ability? Didn't Geno call her the dragon lady???

Maybe a female GK? Tough personality on the court with good personal relationship ability? Didn't Geno call her the dragon lady???

Wow, a man calling his biggest rival a sexist name. How novel.

Let’s keep Versyp, pay her less, and invest in football. Now that would be novel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT